J.C. Higgins?

PDA

K40
May 5, 2003, 12:17 AM
What company made rifles and shotguns labeled J.C. Higgins? I understand these were ordered for J.C. Penny?

If you enjoyed reading about "J.C. Higgins?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Longbow
May 5, 2003, 12:46 AM
I think they were made by Winchester for Sear's Roebuck in the 60's and/or 70's. I'm not sure.
My local gunshop has a .22 LR rifle with such marking. Its a tube feed w/ built-in scope for $119. Its in prestine condition, looks really nice, but I don't think I need another .22 LR rifle. If you're interested I'll PM you their #.

Ian Sean
May 5, 2003, 12:54 AM
It depends on what you have, Savage and High Standard also made JC Higgins for retailers (Sears, Western Auto, etc..) . I just got the new Gun Parts Catalog and in the back there is a cross reference guide. So what do you have?

K40
May 5, 2003, 03:56 AM
A lever action 30-30(very Winchester) and a bolt action 20 gauge- I haven't seen to many bolt action shotguns, maybe they were popular back in the day. These both belonged to my Grandfather, on to my Father, on to me...

schild
May 5, 2003, 08:07 AM
J.C.Higgins was an accountant for Sears and Roebuck, they liked his name. Sears bought guns from many sources, Savage, H.S., Marlin, Browning, Stevens, Mossberg, Winchester, etc., and private labled them.

Mal H
May 5, 2003, 09:25 AM
K40, see if you can find a model number on the guns. It will be of the form NNN.NNNNN (the number of N's will vary on both sides of the dot). 10 to 1 the 30-30 will be model number 273.nnnn which were models made by Winchester for Sears including the 94's.

mtnbkr
May 5, 2003, 09:30 AM
I have a JC Higgins bolt action 20gauge that used to belong to my grandfather. Nice little gun. Great for squirrels and such. I try to take it out once a year.

Chris

Clemson
May 5, 2003, 12:33 PM
Some of the Sears centerfire bolt actions were made using FN and Sako actions. I have a Model 50 J. C. Higgins 30-06 with an FN Mauser action. It is a very accurate rifle.

TallPine
May 5, 2003, 01:21 PM
I have a bolt action 22 "JC Higgins" rifle that was made by Marlin.

It is a Model 81, tube feed (like the Model 60 semi-auto).

Very similar to the Model 81TS that Marlin makes today.

Actually, I usually forget and just call it my "Marlin 22" ...

K40
May 5, 2003, 03:48 PM
I'll get the #'s and get back, thanks for all the info!:D

BusMaster007
May 5, 2003, 08:30 PM
TallPine:

Me, too.
My friend at work just refinished the gunstock.
The rifle was my Dad's .22. I hadn't seen it in over 40 years until one day I had a chance encounter with my late Dad's best friend.
He got the rifle out and gave it to me.

It's technically a Marlin 81 as referenced in the Gun Parts catalog.
On the barrel are the following markings:

J.C.HIGGINS - MODEL 103.229 - 22CAL.
SEARS, ROEBUCK & COMPANY - S - L - LR

I put on a Tasco High Country 4-16x40 scope and my B-Square bipod.
The stock had just been unprofessionally hand sanded by me and was bare wood. It now has a light walnut stain and gloss finish.
Note the peculiar shape of the plastic triggerguard.
I'm pleased to have it back in the family!

:)

HarryB
May 6, 2003, 01:28 AM
Have a JC Higgins 51L in 30-06 that has a Husqavarna (sp?) action. The stock and barrel are from High Standard.

The Higgins is to the rear:Dhttp://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/1012473/2061961/24784004.jpg

106rr
May 6, 2003, 03:35 AM
HarryB
I fired a J C Higgins 51L with a monte carlo comb stock and iron sights in the 1960s. It was a light 30-06 but fairly comfortable to shoot. The iron sights were excellent patridge type but the front looked unusual just like yours.
I have really searched for one like it. In all these years I have seen only one, a 243 WCF with a missing front sight and the funniest amateur checkering in the state. The gun show dealer proudly told me he would have to charge me extra because it was a rare Husqvarna. I declined.
The 51Ls had High Standard bbls with 1-10 twist for the 243, while the Husqvarna had a their own bbl with a 1-12 twist. I am still looking for a good one. The stocks were cheaper than the Husky. The Husky had an adjustable trigger, maybe optional, I think. Anyway -- nice rifle!

If you enjoyed reading about "J.C. Higgins?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!