Monster Snubby!

PDA

The Good
July 26, 2006, 09:59 PM
anyone seen this thing? i would love to try firing this thing.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=49906&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15702&isFirearm=Y

If you enjoyed reading about "Monster Snubby!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EddieCoyle
July 26, 2006, 10:25 PM
I have one on order.

EddieCoyle
July 26, 2006, 10:27 PM
and before anyone asks....

Because I can.

:)

Ohen Cepel
July 26, 2006, 10:37 PM
Are the grips orange?!?!

aguyindallas
July 26, 2006, 10:43 PM
Saw these at the Gun Show last week. Holy moly!!!!

Brian Williams
July 26, 2006, 10:44 PM
Yes they are orange or they can be had in bright yellow, what is funny they have a free Camo holster link on the description page.

carterbeauford
July 26, 2006, 10:55 PM
They could have at least ported the barrel. I think I'd rather try to poke the bear's eyes out with it than try to fire it.

You can build your own kit with a Ruger Super Alaskan .454 Casull for a little less than $1399 :uhoh:

rhubarb
July 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
No offense, Mr. Coyle, and it's good to have an off-the-shelf bug-out bag, but ...

# Bright Orange Hogue® recoil reducing grip
# Waterproof Storm® Case
# Blast Match™ Firestarter and WetFire tender
# Saber Cut™ Saw with fabric sheath
# Jet Scream™ whistle
# Star Flash™ signal mirror
# Polaris® compass
# Two MPI Mylar Space® Emergency Blankets

What a Tacky® Marketing™ ploy.

Apple a Day
July 26, 2006, 11:50 PM
At first glance I thought it was a FLARE GUN! :what:

Deer Hunter
July 27, 2006, 12:01 AM
With all these threads about "Which gun best for bear country?" springing up, it was only a matter of time until a gun maker would come out with a kit for all your bear-country survival needs.

I admire Smith and Wesson for jumping on marketing opportunities.

ABTOMAT
July 27, 2006, 01:00 AM
That's probably one of the silliest sales gimmicks I've seen. Reminds me of a movie with a shotgun in a box "In case of emergency, break glass."

Seriously, I think that's just rediculous (the whole idea, not the gun itself." Or maybe I'll wait for the African emergency kit to come out, with the orange .700NE double rifle.

gunslinger15
July 27, 2006, 01:27 AM
Ha the orange grip is your last warning that your arms about to be dislocated by a 500 snuby :neener:

bigger jon
July 27, 2006, 02:23 AM
I had my brothers 8-3/8 for a while that thing was too much for me:eek:

Old Fuff
July 27, 2006, 02:32 AM
The Old Fuff will pass... :cool:

Others are welcome not to, but they should make an interesting item on the used market... :evil: :D

BluesBear
July 27, 2006, 02:35 AM
If the 12" or the 4" model doesn't dislocate your arm the 2" won't.

I'd gladly fire five rounds from that stubby 500 before I'd fire one round of .44 mag from a 329.

I have a 6" steel S&W N-frame .44 Mag and a 3" steel S&W N-frame .44 Mag.
I honestly can't tell a hoots difference in the recoil. The 3" one is a few ounces lighter but the bullet stays in the barrel of the 6" for a longer time.

What they really need for that kit is some .500 caliber flare cartridges.

Croyance
July 27, 2006, 02:55 AM
I've seen that kit in the store. Funnier to see it in person. Just imagine somebody carrying it into the field (yes, I know firearms should be cleaned and checked out at leisure on a range), only to be confronted by an adult male brown bear. They open up the case, read the instructions, and load up the gun?

spooney
July 27, 2006, 02:58 AM
I think its pretty funny myself. Nice to see a company with a sense of humor.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
July 27, 2006, 05:36 AM
I like it---but the high cost puts it out of serious consideration----at least for me.

If it was $500---I'd probably own one.

oneslowgun
July 27, 2006, 06:30 AM
At one time (Many years ago) I got suckered into an Astra "Terminator" in .44 Mag. Recoil was not the problem, muzzel blast was. (A definate plugs AND muffs kinda thing) I shudder thinking what the "blast" from that Smith would be like. I think if I ever saw one for about 1/3 of the price, I would pick it up just for fun though. :eek:

warth0g
July 27, 2006, 07:20 AM
Bringing the gun in the case with you out in the field would be a stupid thing, there the revolver belongs where it can be easily reached, e.g. on the hip. As the kit goes I think it was pretty well thought out. If you are travelling by boat or snowmobile( polar bears) I would like to have a water tight case with those essentilals, maybe put a satelite phone or other communications device in the box instead of the gun.. If I where hiking the box would be to heavy and bulky.

my .2 euros (hihi)

warthog

farscott
July 27, 2006, 08:07 AM
I kinda want one in .460 (so I could use .45 Colt and .454 Casull) even though I do not know what I would do with it. I think it would be controllable, especially with .45 Colt and .454 Casull rounds. It might be too big to carry on the hip as the X-frames seem huge to me. I think I rather carry a 4-3/4" FA 83 in .454 Casull or .475 Linebaugh than the X-frame.

I have some experience with large caliber snubbies, having owned most of the three-inch N-frames chambered in the .4x-caliibers and fired a few cylinders worth from a "Sheriff's Model" FA 83. For those who have not run across that monster, it is a Freedom Arms Premier Grade 83 with a three-inch barrel and no ejector rod/housing chambered for .454 Casull. I fired a few cylinders with 260-grain FA-marked ammo (this dates me as FA has not made ammo in some time) and found it controllable as long as I did not to fight the recoil. Muzzle blast, on the other hand, was excessive. The muzzle blast was so severe that I needed a few seconds to clear my head after each shot. I am not too fond of the idea of trying the .460 rounds in such a short barrel based on my experience with that FA.

Still, great marketing by S&W.

EddieCoyle
July 27, 2006, 08:10 AM
No offense, Mr. Coyle, and it's good to have an off-the-shelf bug-out bag, but ...

# Bright Orange Hogue® recoil reducing grip
# Waterproof Storm® Case
# Blast Match™ Firestarter and WetFire tender
# Saber Cut™ Saw with fabric sheath
# Jet Scream™ whistle
# Star Flash™ signal mirror
# Polaris® compass
# Two MPI Mylar Space® Emergency Blankets

What a Tacky® Marketing™ ploy.

None taken. This is not a practical purchase, nor do I ever expect to carry the whole mess into the field. Like I said, I bought it Because I Can™.

What really sold me was the whistle. Just kidding.

I already have the 4" and the 8-3/8".

Stainz
July 27, 2006, 09:37 AM
The 4" version is ported - it's barrel is 3", so the 500ES is essentially a 4"-er unported... which I actually would like, visions of 440gr LWFN .5" slugs at 800 fps. The book can be read while your wrist is recovering. It already had a little 'L' on it so you'd know which way to aim it - the compass will tell you which way you are headed. Sadly, no A1 sauce for Mr. Bear when he catches you and your 'loud' box at your side hiking...

I'll await their arrival at the closeout prices...

Stainz

dhoomonyou
July 27, 2006, 11:44 AM
gunslinger15

Ha the orange grip is your last warning that your arms about to be dislocated by a 500 snuby

GUNSLINGER,
thanks for helping me flush my nose with Diet Pepsi, your post is too funny.

NOTE TO SELF: dont drink and read at the same time.

Gordon
July 27, 2006, 11:56 AM
You don't need the fire starter just hold the gun next to combustables. They should of put in wipies and packs of ketsup!:barf:

remultramag
July 27, 2006, 12:29 PM
If you have time to open the kit, load the gun, and shoot the Bear,
Is it self defense? :confused:
If you can cary the kit, you can cary an 8 3/8 on your side!
Good luck bringing it into Canada!

Magnum PI
July 28, 2006, 01:22 AM
Why I don't buy one? Because I can....(and because I know it's a rediculous marketing gimmick!)

An old fisherman in a sporting goods store once told me that very few lures actually catch fish, the rest are designed to catch fisherman!

magsnubby
July 28, 2006, 01:25 AM
Nice gun but it but everyone knows S&W snubbys need J frame boot grips.

mec
July 29, 2006, 01:05 PM
"Seriously, I think that's just rediculous (the whole idea, not the gun itself."

there's one in the local shop. We felt kind of mean laughing at it the way we did.

LanEvo`
July 29, 2006, 02:34 PM
I think it's pretty clever actually. There seems to be something tongue-in-cheek about it...especially including a book called "Bear Attacks of the Century - True Stories of Courage and Survival." I'm sure it was meant to be funny.

EddieCoyle
July 29, 2006, 03:33 PM
I think it's pretty clever actually. There seems to be something tongue-in-cheeck about it...especially including a book called "Bear Attacks of the Century - True Stories of Courage and Survival." I'm sure it was meant to be funny.

Yeah! That was my take on it too. My local FFL saw this at the NRA Annual Meeting and said that was how the S&W guys were treating it.

Maybe more people would've got the joke if they included some bear jerky in the kit.

Nice gun but it but everyone knows S&W snubbys need J frame boot grips.

Orange boot grips.

Pork Fat
July 30, 2006, 01:03 AM
Orange grips make the gun easier to find when the recoil throws it back over your head into the weeds. You may need to retrieve it quickly if you miss the bear with the first shot.
I would solve this problem by carrying another .500 snubby as a "Yukon Reload". :rolleyes:

ABTOMAT
July 30, 2006, 01:49 AM
The orange grips are so the doctor can easily find it--when he removes it from your cavity the bear shoved it into.

SJPrice
July 30, 2006, 09:01 AM
At first glance I thought it was a FLARE GUN!

Nope, not a flare gun, a FLAME THROWER.

pezo
July 30, 2006, 01:52 PM
I like it. I like the platform of a bigbore snubby and the fact it is in a kit like that.

pezo
July 30, 2006, 01:54 PM
Good luck bringing with into Canada! Thats a defect with canada not with the gun.

Gewehr98
July 30, 2006, 02:07 PM
Bear Droppings® Tinsel - Warns rescuers and wildlife management folks that owner of said Monster S&W Snubby kit has indeed been devoured and digested, ala' Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard. ;)

Kymasabe
July 30, 2006, 05:33 PM
Oh wait Mr Bear, one minute please, while I remove my trusty bear gun from it's bright yellow Pelican case. What? no cupholders?
Only thing S&W left out of that kit was a tampon dispensor.

Eightball
July 30, 2006, 05:51 PM
Nifty idea, bad execution. Hmm......let's market the "bear defense kit", in one easy-to-carry package.

about the only people to buy it would be the people who don't know any better. can you imagine their face when they fire the first shot?:eek: Or maybe that's part of it---"fire, run backwards, retrieve gun. Repeat steps 1-3 until safely out of range of the bear, or out of ammo". Presumably better than nothing, though.

EddieCoyle
July 30, 2006, 10:15 PM
about the only people to buy it would be the people who don't know any better. can you imagine their face when they fire the first shot? Or maybe that's part of it---"fire, run backwards, retrieve gun.

Wrong. I'm buying it, and I know better. I have a 4" S&W .500 now and I've fired 460 gr LFPGC over 16.5 grains of Titegroup (about 1300 fps) with the compensator removed (this is exactly what the snubby will be like). I survived; the recoil wasn't that bad. And when I was done, my 12 year old son did the same thing. The look on both our faces was the same - an ear-to-ear smile.

Some of you guys really have got to shed your sundresses, drop the parasols, and try firing a big gun.

As to why I ordered it: I like unusual guns. I don't need any reason other than that. I'll probably never use it on bear or anything else. I've been lucky enough and worked hard enough long enough to be able to afford items like this and when I see something I like I buy it - whether it's a Mauser Broomhandle, Wildey, or a 2" .50 caliber handgun.

Even though it's a 2" barrel, remember, this is a big gun with a big grip. I'd fire box upon box through this before I'd put a cylinder full of full-house .357's through a S&W Model 340PD.

Taurus 66
July 30, 2006, 11:38 PM
One fine sunny day as Eddie Coyle is walking a trail, he spots a grizzly at approximately 100-150 yards who doesn't take kindly to Eddie's presence. Besides, the bear is hungry and is getting real sick of the same old "raw fish" ... "Eww" :barf:, just the thought of downing one more bass turns Mr. Bear's stomach. "

"That walking prime rib in clothes carrying a big goofy box sure looks delicious."

The bear slowly walks closer to get a better look at dinner. Eddie's survival instincts kick in as he cautiously sets the box on the ground and opens the lid:

http://i7.tinypic.com/21j9bf8.jpg

Fear turns to confidence as Eddie takes the big bad Smithy into his hand. With his other hand he frantically searches the box then panics, "Oh my GOD! The manufacturer forgot to include ammo!!! :eek: Stupid! :cuss: " Not to fear, however, because Eddie's always got a backup plan. ;)

Mr. Bear's slow walk is now at a double the pace. Eddie takes the star flash signal mirror and gives the grizzly an eyeful. Knowing the bear is temporarily blinded, he makes his move to rupture the eardrums. The jet scream whistle did the trick, but he had to get in close for optimum effects. Backing away, Eddie re-gathers his strategy and unwraps an MPI Mylar Space® Emergency Blanket, tossing it over the bear's head, then begins mercilessly clubbing the 9 foot monster with his pretty revolver.

The beast is now sleeping. This is Eddie's get away ... and it wouldn't be a proper get away without a Polaris® compass in the box. :) He packs up his gear and looks forward to writing the company and informing them to include each kit with a box of ammo. :neener: :D

EddieCoyle
July 30, 2006, 11:58 PM
One fine sunny day as Eddie Coyle is walking a trail, he spots a grizzly...

Close.

One fine sunny day, Eddie Coyle gets his new revolver. He excitedly grabs the revolver, immediately forgetting where he puts the box, the receipt, the box of primers, and the pound of Titegroup that he bought at the same time. He writes his name on the grip in indelible magic marker so that his new revolver doesn't get mixed up with all the other identical orange-gripped snubby .50 cals at the range, and heads out to wilds of Massachusetts to shoot it. While sighting it in for the first time, the incessant annoying squealing of a chipmunk drives him to distraction until he's able to get off a snap shot with the snubby as the beast approaches to within 10 yards. It's a good shot, hitting just behind the shoulder, but alas, it's too much gun. Again.

Eddie never does find the box, but he does manage to locate the Jet Scream whistle, which comes in handy to drive his coworkers insane by delivering precision-timed short bursts from the bowels of the anonymous cubicle farm in which he works.

TexasRifleman
August 3, 2006, 12:44 PM
I have to say, after having owned a 329PD for a couple of years, that I would fire this 500ES without a second thought.

It can't POSSIBLY be as bad as that superlight .44.

I shot the original .500 model and it wasn't even close to being as rough at the 329.

Eddie Coyle, I'll shoot it with you. Enjoy the thing, it's a neat revolver.

Mainsail
August 3, 2006, 02:06 PM
They didn’t include any ear plugs. As the bear was charging me, I’d probably be mentally debating which would be worse, the impending mauling, or the massive headache\earache I’d have when that thing goes off. :eek: :)

jackal1209
August 3, 2006, 02:15 PM
Decisions decisions... I looked at these and for the price, I settled on a Ruger Alaskan 2.5inch 454 Casull. I am so glad I did, its awesome, and with 45Colt loads, its like shooting a 38spl. The Hoague Tamer grips make the 454 tolerable too.. When I go to the range, I always take it. That way if its crowded, I just load six 454 Casull (Corbon). Amazingly, the lanes next to me on either side usually open up right after that.:neener:

SIRVEYR666
August 3, 2006, 02:25 PM
I'm waiting for the 2" in .700 Nitro Express. It will come with "outriggers" and a counter-weight, much like a crane. I think it comes with (2) GPS wrist watches, so that EMS crews can locate you arms after the incident.:D

Iggy
August 3, 2006, 02:30 PM
Does anybody make a IWB holster for it??:eek:

Arcticfox
August 4, 2006, 02:37 AM
"I have a 6" steel S&W N-frame .44 Mag and a 3" steel S&W N-frame .44 Mag.
I honestly can't tell a hoots difference in the recoil. The 3" one is a few ounces lighter but the bullet stays in the barrel of the 6" for a longer time."

Dude. No way! i've shot a 6" 629, and I own a 4". The difference is huge! The 4 inch is very hard to hang onto. The 6 inch is no problem. I can't imagine shooting a 2 inch 500, and not having it fly outa my hand! Obviously, someone can hang onto it, but its not me!

You better have a strong grip if you intend to hang onto that gun!

BluesBear
August 4, 2006, 02:56 AM
Sorry dude but I stand by my comment.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43098&d=1154670985
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43099&d=1154671001

badjoad
February 16, 2007, 01:50 PM
I have posted chrony results for this snub monster on my web site.

http://www.2287.com/firearms.htm

At some point I'll have video of this thing going off.

I welcome comments
Tim

TX1911fan
February 16, 2007, 01:57 PM
Oh wait Mr Bear, one minute please, while I remove my trusty bear gun from it's bright yellow Pelican case. What? no cupholders?
Only thing S&W left out of that kit was a tampon dispensor.

Maybe these are supposed to be funny, and I am missing the joke, but do you guys carry around your CCW in the case, and ask the bad guys to wait a minute while you get it out of the case? Uhh, no. The case is for shipping and storage! Anyone who has a brain knows that you'll be carrying it in a holster if you are in an area where you need it.

Ok, rant off. Maybe I'm just humorless today. I actually think these are really cool. I've been eyeing the Ruger Alaskan for a while.

erikd65
February 16, 2007, 02:02 PM
Thats a huuuuge bitch! No really, I would not mind trying one out :)

FourTeeFive
February 16, 2007, 02:19 PM
I shudder thinking what the "blast" from that Smith would be like.

I'm pretty sure that is the idea. Fire at close range to bear (which is about 1" past its arms length). Bear is hit, possibly eventually a lethal wound. However, bear fur is also now on fire from the muzzle blast. Bear is confused. You run.

alucard0822
February 16, 2007, 02:25 PM
For anybody curious about what it looks like to fire one. :what: :eek: :what: http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53440&stc=1&d=1171650287

jad0110
February 16, 2007, 02:35 PM
Sadly, no A1 sauce for Mr. Bear when he catches you and your 'loud' box at your side hiking...

Mmmmmmm, tasty! :D :D :D

EddieCoyle
February 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
The recoil is not much worse than the 4" model. It's a bit snappy with heavy bullets.

Maybe they'll come out with a Ladysmith version.

tantrix
February 16, 2007, 04:45 PM
I've been eyeing the Ruger Alaskan for a while.

I'd go with the Ruger Alaskan in .454 over in the S&W .500 snubby in a heartbeat.

I was just handling one (Alaskan .454) at my local FFL's shop 2 days ago. It's cheaper, built like a tank, no lock, and better looking IMO.

Jamie B
February 16, 2007, 06:56 PM
The orange grips are so the doctor can easily find it--when he removes it from your cavity the bear shoved it into.

SNORT! You owe me a keyboard, ABTOMAT!

Jamie

1KPerDay
February 16, 2007, 08:10 PM
However, bear fur is also now on fire from the muzzle blast. Bear is confused. You run.
LOL:D

Beat me to it.:p

alucard0822
February 16, 2007, 10:57 PM
Out of all the stuff in that kit, no fire extinguisher?

Run&Shoot
February 17, 2007, 12:11 AM
Way to go Eddie! You have the perfect reason. :cool:

It's great that a firearms manufacturer is "mainstreaming" a handgun with typical marketing packaging. Obviously you aren't going to lug that box through the woods, but it is a neat theme gift box. All of the items are practical in the backpack or truck.

Anyway, it shows imagination and that someone out there is paying attention. Three .500s!! Wow, that is a unique collection. Have you considered moving next to a lead mine?

CONGRATS!

If you enjoyed reading about "Monster Snubby!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!