Modern day possibles bag

PDA

stellarpod
July 26, 2006, 10:51 PM
At the risk of annoying the purists in the group...

I just bought a muzzleloader in order to expand my hunting opportunities here in Oklahoma. I chose a T/C Encore Pro Hunter, as I wanted the flexibility of converting this rifle into a centerfire varmit gun as well.

The historian in me yearned for a possibles bag to accompany my new firearm, but the traditional leatherware just didn't seem to fit the genre' of new-fangled stainless steel and black rifle. After searching around awhile I came up with what I believe is a great complimenting bag; the Maxpedition FatBoy

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/365844/MaxpeditonFatBoy.jpg

This little beauty serves exactly the same purpose of the traditional bag with several updates - not the least of which is the ballistic nylon construction. There are bigger and smaller bag options in the Maxpediton lineup for those of you who prefer such.

I know I've sinned in the eyes of many of you. But, I thought I'd share this option for those of you who find yourself looking for a similar compromise. You can check out the entire Maxpedition line at:

http://www.maxpedition.com/menu.htm

Fire away boys and girls.

stellarpod

If you enjoyed reading about "Modern day possibles bag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Plink
July 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
That looks like a good setup alright, and I applaud your ingenuity. My traditionalist side does force me to send a "tsk tsk" your way though. :neener:

Duncaninfrance
July 27, 2006, 03:36 AM
RUBBISH :fire:

Don't forget that when the originals were introduced they were also thought of as a good idea by some and a bad one by others.
I say " Use the best thing for the job"!
Duncan

grizz
August 6, 2006, 05:36 PM
That looks like a great setup. Use whatever works best for you. I'm no pureist for sure! I also use a T/C, but the stainless laminate thumbhole stocked Omega w/ a Nikon red dot scope. I don't use a possibles bag, but rather a turkey hunting vest (tons of pockets for all my muzzleloading gear). Works for me.

frosty
August 6, 2006, 07:18 PM
I have been making smoke for the better part of 30 years, and I havent used a traditional bag in 20 years:eek:

Niner
August 7, 2006, 11:08 PM
The historian in me yearned for a possibles bag to accompany my new firearm, but the traditional leatherware just didn't seem to fit the genre' of new-fangled stainless steel and black rifle

If you are using a "modern" muzzle loader, what else should you have?

4v50 Gary
August 8, 2006, 12:47 AM
Should have a waist strap so it doesn't bounce around if you run. There, I'm done flaming.:p

Duncaninfrance
August 8, 2006, 03:40 AM
Hey, whats all this "RUNNING" business :uhoh: A sedate, gentlemanly brisk walk should be sufficient :rolleyes:
Duncan :D

stellarpod
August 8, 2006, 06:44 AM
Welll Gary, I guess you've established your "fight or flight" leanings! :D :neener: :D :neener: :D

Actually, this bag is worn with the strap across the chest so there is little bouncing. However, if you check out their website you'll see that they do have versions with waist belts for those who are so inclined.

stellarpod

arcticap
August 8, 2006, 02:35 PM
I use a preowned, thin suede leather ladies handbag that hangs so comfortably towards the back/kidney area that I can hardly feel it there.
I thread thin plastic coated twist ties or thin yarn, etc... through the zipper pull holes of my hunting garments and bags, and wrap it around them to keep the pulls from bouncing and making noise while woods hunting. Of course, I usually carry too many other noisy accessories and related "junk" with me while hunting, but that's just part of the "ritual"! :D
That's one unique and nice looking bag! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Modern day possibles bag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!