Question about building a Gun Shop....

PDA

Ridge
July 27, 2006, 05:02 AM
And shooting range.

First I'll give you a little back story on how I'll have enough money (At least hope to have) for such a feat.

9,12th,2005.

While riding home from a friends house on my 300 Honda Utility A.T.V. I pulled on to the hollow road,that would take me to my house,and my bed for some much needed sleep,it was in the wee hours of the morning when I checked the one lane road ahead,I didn't see any headlights,so I continued on my merry way,rounded a curve,and was suddenly greeted by a set of headlights,from a 1986 pontiac (Spelling???).

I tried to turn at the last second but it was too late,my atv slammed into Phillip Preece's car,I was thrown off my atv and impacted head first on the driverside door frame,I dented it in about a half inch,I suffered multiple skull fractures,and two busted discs in my neck,I continued onward,as the momentum carried me on top of the roof,I landed on my back,and slid down the rear of the car,my right foot caught traction,I stood up for a few seconds until my knee buckeled and my head came into contact with the edge of the trunk,which broke my lower left jaw,and busted in the top of my left eye socket,I then slid down off of the trunk and to the ground,I must have caught the rear bumper with my right shoulder because my right colar bone snapped like a twig,all 376 pounds of Ridge landed on the asphalt head first,all that weight and force broke my neck.

I was in the hospital for a month.

But here is where the money comes in.

After an operation to remove a blood clot from behind my left eye,a few butchers decided that I didn't need to breath properly anymore,I didn't require them to preform the treak (Spelling???) They didn't cut into my neck because according to the butcher in charge my neck was too thick....so instead they cut through my chest.

Now I can't take a breath without sounding like Darth Vader,or a really sick Elk.

I am now going to take the butchers that had a hand in my current position,and I am also going to wring out as much money from the Hospital this was allowed to happen in.

So to keep this gun related .....What are some of the legal hoops you have to jump through in order to open a Gunshop and firing range?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about building a Gun Shop...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1 old 0311
July 27, 2006, 07:30 AM
Pack a lunch friend. I am 3 1/2 years into my 'legal issue' and the end is not in site yet. Yes if you get a payday there is your gunshop, but that is a long long way off.

p.s. make sure you hire a attorney on contingency.

thereisnospoon
July 27, 2006, 12:03 PM
Good luck with that...last time I was sued the Lawyer settled for a fraction of what the "Client" was wanting. All said and done, the lawyer got $37,500.00 and the plantiff ended up with 12,500.00 after suing me for $2,000,000.00

Sorry for your pain and suffering and all that, but don't get the cart before the horse...

Pilgrim
July 27, 2006, 12:16 PM
I have an attorney friend who defends doctors and hospitals from malpractice lawsuits. He wins most of the time and is quite well off.

I suggest you wait until you have the money in your hands before you make a lot of plans to open your gun shop.

Pilgrim

Tang419
July 27, 2006, 12:39 PM
Doctors and drunk drivers probably kill more people than guns do....lol :what:

Correia
July 27, 2006, 12:43 PM
Opening a gunstore is expensive. I know, I just did this.

Opening a range is amazingly expensive. I know, I'm currently working on this.

A decently stocked, small gunstore is going to cost you, at the low end, several hundred thousand dollars in inventory. Then take whatever amount of money you think you will need as a cash reserve until you can be profitable, and triple it. Because your initial estimate will be wrong. Rent, advertisting, fees, licensing, insurance, utilities, oh, and eventually you will actually need to get paid.

For a very small range, you are looking at least half a million for the armor and the ventilation. That is put into a building that you already own. You can go cheaper on the traps, but you will pay for it later.

Chawbaccer
July 27, 2006, 10:25 PM
It appears that your helmet was defective too. Maybe you should sue the helmet manufacturer.

redranger1
July 27, 2006, 10:59 PM
Look on the bright side, at least you can still breath! You should count your blessings and go make an honest living.

refrey
July 27, 2006, 11:08 PM
Since this is the High Road, I can't say much about someone profiting from their own carelessness at another's expense. It sounds like you would be dead without the doctor's work. If you are better off with treatment than without, you have no moral justification to sue the doctor just because the results weren't quite as good as you would have liked. Of course, you could have treated yourself. If you are completely without fault in this accident, then I withdraw my comments. I am NOT a doctor. I am a "New Member/Old Lurker".

The Real Wyatt
July 28, 2006, 01:19 AM
Help me understand. Was the operation performed accidentally? Was another patient scheduled for the tracheotomy and it was done on you by mistake?

Or did a situation arise whilst the medical team was operating on the clot behind your left eye and a decision was made to perform an emergency tracheotomy in order to save your life?

Ridge
July 28, 2006, 07:23 PM
It was made clear by several visitors that I was breathing fine before the op. to remove the clot.

I was snoring after they wheeled me in directly after the op.

They decided that They had to hook me up to a machine,and to do that they had to cut me up.

And No I wasn't wearing a helmet when me and philip hit.

The Doctors said that it was a good thing that I wasn't wearing one. my neck would have had more than the two busted disc's in my neck and I would've been lucky to have turned out to be a Veggie.

And no neither one of us were under the influence of anything.

I'm just answering questions.

Not trying to come of as mean or anything.

But to keep this on topic.

I'm not going for a really large shop.

Just a mom and pop type deal.

1 old 0311
July 28, 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi Ridge,

Friendly word of advice. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. You don't want to discuss ANY details of what did, or didn't happen. As my attorney told me " Keep you're mouth shut about details till this is over........Then you can talk." Good luck.

P0832177
July 28, 2006, 09:15 PM
Quit counting your chickens before they hatch! As was previously said squelch your rhetoric. I would look at other ideas for secure future with respect to owning a gunshop and range.

Jim K
July 28, 2006, 09:35 PM
First, please understand this:

YOU WILL NOT GET RICH OWNING A GUN SHOP! You will be lucky to be able to even make a reasonable living and if you need expensive medical care, you won't have group medical insurance. You will only have what you get from the suit, if anything.

Another problem is whether you will be able to work the long hours that a gun shop normally requires even to make a little money.

Lastly, and I hate to bring it up, but how do you get along with people? If your condition is such that some folks have a problem around you, a business dealing with the public might not be right for you. I know that attitude would say more about them than about you, but it could be a real problem.

Jim

rangerruck
July 29, 2006, 03:34 AM
the whole earthers, and other enviro's will come out in force against a gun range. you need to get it far away from any housing as you can.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about building a Gun Shop...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!