.45 Long Colt recoil. How bad is it?

PDA

ScottsGT
July 28, 2006, 01:39 PM
A few years back I had a Bisley Vaquero in .44 Mag, and it was just way too much recoil for me to enjoy shooting. Disposed of that gun quickly. Now I have my eyes on another Vaquero (new model) but it is .45 LC. They don't make the .357 with a 7 1/2" barrel.
How is the recoil of the .45LC compared to the .44 mag? I am planning on rolling my own ammo and could down load some, but I want to stay as close to factory loads as I can.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 Long Colt recoil. How bad is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PinoyInFL
July 28, 2006, 02:11 PM
Recoil is very similar if not a little bit less than a .357 mag.

Sistema1927
July 28, 2006, 02:55 PM
.45 Colt can be a pussycat. Try some light loads of Trail Boss.

ScottsGT
July 28, 2006, 03:00 PM
Well Dang! I guess I'm stopping on the way home and getting a new toy!

KINGMAX
July 28, 2006, 03:08 PM
The recoil from a .45 LC is not all that bad. I shoot Winchester Silver tips, Cowboy loads and MAGTECH. None of which are all that bad. I have a two .45 LC's. A Ruger New Blackhawk, and just purchased this week a Ruger Bisley. I love them.

Gundenstern
July 28, 2006, 03:30 PM
Not bad at all. I found absorbing the recoil with both my elbow and wrist helps. I realize this might be common knowledge, but I had to find out on my own.

MCgunner
July 28, 2006, 03:59 PM
Why'd you get rid of the .44? You coulda fired specials in it even if you don't reload for light stuff.

Standard .45 Colt loads ain't bad at all. But, if you don't like .44 magnum full power, you wouldn't like my full power .45 colts either. It just depends on the load. Don't buy any Buffalo Bore and you'll be okay. Hope you make good money, though, if you don't handload.

schmeky
July 28, 2006, 04:09 PM
The single-action grip frame on the New Model Blackhawk (or any other SA for that matter) makes the pistol pivot in the hand(s) when fired. Some of the energy of recoil is subsequently used up trying pivot the weight of the gun. There is not a lot of "push" transfered to the shooters grip, making the felt recoil less than a comparable double action revolver. The beauty of the SA design is that after the recoil cycle is completed, the hammer is right where it needs to be for a quick cocking of the action.

This is why I never liked Pachmayers (sp) on any of my SA Rugers.

Jim March
July 28, 2006, 04:15 PM
Here's the deal with the 45LC: the original guns and close clones of same weren't that strong. The 45LC's basic specification calls for less net energy than the 357Mag.

Ruger has built most of their 45LC guns on 44Magnum-grade frames, that gun included. Only the New Vaquero in 45LC is on a "lesser" strength frame (still stronger than a Colt SAA in 45LC).

Any load you find in "45LC+P" will be seriously stout stuff, in a few cases exceeding 44Mag performance levels. Such fodder will fit in that gun you're considering, should you choose to "go there".

But if you don't, standard 45LC (generally peaking at 255gr/1,000fps range) will be very mild. The "Cowboy loads" meant for CAS/SASS shooting events will be even milder because it's supposed to stay under 1,000fps from a short-barreled rifle; it probably won't hit 850fps even from your 7.5" barrel.

ScottsGT
July 28, 2006, 06:29 PM
Why'd you get rid of the .44? You coulda fired specials in it even if you don't reload for light stuff.

Well, the main reason was due to an offer I could not refuse. I basically traded it for an all original 1945 Colt 1911A1 from a close friend. He saw mine and always wanted a "Cowboy" gun and had no use for that old Army gun he carried while in the Army :what:
His "Old Army Gun" is now my favorite pistol!

On a footnote, I went by the dealer today on the way home to see if he would budge off his $500 price tag. He wouldn't, so I said I'd be back after the gunshow tomorrow, maybe.....:D

Tigerseye
July 28, 2006, 07:34 PM
I find .45 Colt to be very comfortable to shoot. It is a low presssure cartridge pushing a heavy bullet at less than 850 ft per second.

I'm pleased with it in a Taurus Tracker with an aluminum frame.

ScottsGT
July 29, 2006, 05:50 PM
Guess what I got at the gun show today :D :D :D

$450 + tax. I'll have to post some photos later.

MCgunner
July 29, 2006, 08:39 PM
Yes, this thread is worthless without pix...:D

.45 Cal
July 31, 2006, 06:15 PM
I enjoy firing my Smith Mountain Gun in .45 Colt very much. But, as was mentioned earlier, it's expensive and limited to load for those who don't reload. I'm considering picking up a revolver in .45 ACP.

ugaarguy
July 31, 2006, 08:25 PM
I've discovered that 45 LC is a caliber that will literally pay for a reloading press set up very quickly if you shoot with any regularity. The money I'm saving on ammo by handloading for my Winchester 94AE Carbine in 45 Colt is going to quickly save me enough money to buy a like chambered revolver to go with it.

cookekdjr
July 31, 2006, 10:35 PM
Recoil? Well, it depends. There's .45 LC that pushes a 200gr bullet about 875 fps. then there's the traditional 250gr moving about 900fps. Then there's the cowboy loads that send a 250gr bullet 650-750 fps.
Then you can find some that send a 300gr bullet about 1,300 fps.
.45 Long Colt is a very versatile round.
-David

JesseJames
August 1, 2006, 10:17 AM
I may have to try out a Ruger in .45 Long Colt then. I've yet to be disappointed by Ruger.

HankB
August 1, 2006, 11:20 AM
The single-action grip frame on the New Model Blackhawk (or any other SA for that matter) makes the pistol pivot in the hand(s) when fired. Some of the energy of recoil is subsequently used up trying pivot the weight of the gun. There is not a lot of "push" transfered to the shooters grip, making the felt recoil less than a comparable double action revolver. I disagree - assuming fairly heavy loads, I find the high bore line of an SA revolver makes the recoil MUCH more unpleasant than that from a DA revolver.

Hold on tight, and the upward torque is most unpleasant, thanks to the high bore line. Let the grip "roll" in the hand, and the trigger guard hits my middle finger. This makes (for example) a 6 1/2" M29 or a Redhawk more pleasant for me to shoot than a Super Blackhawk.

RugerSAFan
August 2, 2006, 10:44 PM
For me, recoil for the 45lc can be very pleasant in one of my SA Rugers, if I reload properly.

ezypikns
August 3, 2006, 12:29 PM
and the recoil is nothing. Either shoot cowboy loads or load them yourself. I load a 250gr RNFP over about 4.5 to 5.0 grains of Trail Boss. You can shoot that all day long.

fineredmist
August 3, 2006, 12:43 PM
If the .45 Long Colt is too much go to the .45 Short Colt.

ScottsGT
August 3, 2006, 01:26 PM
Just got back from the indoor range. Not bad at all! Sure ain't a .44 Magnum! I'm very pleased using Georgia Arms Cowboy loads and my own Cowboy loads using 5.5 to 6 grains of Trail Boss with the same 230 grain round nose I use on my .45 ACP reloads. Georgia Arms loads were a little more "snappy" than my own, but still no big deal.
Oh, I sure wish they would A/C that indoor range! It's a high of 100 today and must have been 85 to 90 in the range.

dairycreek
August 3, 2006, 02:14 PM
In a strong gun the recoil of the 45LC is pretty much what you choose it to be. There are many, many old 45's on the market that simply will not withstand the pressures of new, modern ammo and, thus, the ammo manufacturers tend to produce pretty mild loads - hence mild recoil.

With the advent of stronger platforms (of which Ruger is certainly one) some of the ammo manufacturers e.g. Buffalo Bore, produce some really strong, hot loads for the 45LC to be shot only in appropriate guns. Take a look at the Buffalo Bore 45LC+P in 325 grains and I guarantee you that this is a load with will outperform 44 magnum stuff easily and will produce really, really substantial recoil. As I said, the recoil can be pretty much what you choose it to be.

TexasRifleman
August 3, 2006, 02:23 PM
45LC is a sweetheart, especially in the cowboy loads.

It kinda has a "slow" feel to it. Instead of a sharp recoil like the magnums it kinda slowly builds up.

Very enjoyable shooting round, especially in the slower velocity loadings.

BluesBear
August 5, 2006, 01:16 AM
If the .45 Long Colt is too much go to the .45 Short Colt.They haven't procuded the short version of the .45 Colt since the 1920s.

But there is the .45 S&W (Schofield) cartridge.
It's currently only availabe in very mild cowboy loadings.

Stainz
August 5, 2006, 07:09 AM
The original 7.5" SAA would just make 1,000 fps with 40gr bp under it's 250gr LRNFP bullet. Guns today must be made to the appropriate SAAMI spec, which is ~14 kpsi CUP for .45 Colt. For .45 ACP, it is nearly 22 kpsi CUP; .44 Magnum - and Ruger .45 Colt RH's, older BH's - approach 40 kpsi CUP. The latest variation of the BH in .45 Colt is downsized - and not up to the high pressure loads of the previous models. If you want that kind of power in .45 Colt, look for some older stock.

Today's Rugers, and the clones, are certainly capable of producing many hours of shooting fun - with from nearly zilch recoil up to slight recoil, depending on your loading. The .45 Schofield cases with 4.5gr Titegroup and a 250gr LRNFP atop would make 700 fps from my 4" 625MG. Sporting recoil-enhancing wood stocks, Ahrends square conversion finger-grooved cocobolo's, actually, they are an all day shooter load. Going up to 6.1gr in a .45 Colt case (same bullet) would break 850 fps with a SD of +/-16 fps - nice load - and still within SAAMI spec's. Of course, the heavier 5.5" Redhawk I have eats up the recoil, while my Bird's Head Grip 4.6" Vaquero just rolls in your hand. My wife replaced the 2" 10 I had for her home defense piece with that RH, because she likes shooting it more - 'pity the fool' who bothers her when I am not here.

I started reloading because of the .45 Colt cases I had amassed... it seemed like it would make shooting 'cheaper'. It doesn't - you just shoot a lot more! Seriously, it becomes a hobby in and of itself - and, yes, that will soon be you dumpster-diving at the range for brass and boxes. The best part is that you can make 'what you want'. Besides, try to find .45 Colt ammo on a Sunday afternoon...

Stainz

Marshall
August 5, 2006, 07:56 AM
Congrats on your new toy. I find off the shelf .45 Colt to be baby poo poo in comparison to .357 and .44 Mag loads. Although as others have said, you can make them monster poo poo if you have a hankerin to do so. Cor Bon and Buffalo Bore offer some pretty heavy stuff. Do a search, Mr Camp did a write up of some new Cor Bon DPX that performs at 1200 FPS/720FTLBS. Not heavy but not your dads .45 Colt load either. ;)

BluesBear
August 5, 2006, 08:18 AM
Since we discussed the strength of .45 Colt brass last year I thought I'd post a link.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=149683

I also printed out this article by John Linebaugh
http://www.linebaughcustom.com/Articles/THE45COLTDISSOLVINGTHEMYTH/tabid/201/Default.aspx

Scroll down to the heading The Myth of The "Weak" .45 Colt Case

Jim March
August 5, 2006, 03:48 PM
Quoting:

The latest variation of the BH in .45 Colt is downsized - and not up to the high pressure loads of the previous models. If you want that kind of power in .45 Colt, look for some older stock.

Not so!

Any Blackhawk that shipped as a 45LC since 1973 is on the large frame.

IF you were to convert the new 50th Anniversary 357 to 45LC, you'd have a small-framed Ruger 45LC. Something Ruger never made in a Blackhawk, but is now making in the "New Vaquero" in 45LC.

By using a barrel and cylinder in 45LC from a New Vaq, you could convert the 50th 357. Or use a custom barrel, ream the 357 cylinder up.

I would not recommend it.

Stainz
August 5, 2006, 06:59 PM
You are correct re the BH. I miss-spoke... I meant the new down-sized Vaquero. In .45 Colt, it certainly isn't up to the capabilities of the original Vaquero's - or the 'New Model Blackhawks', which have been around for a while.

Odd thing about that BHG, it grows on you. Several years ago I converted a brand new 4.6" SBH to a BHG - that is a fun .44, from Russians to Magnums. I even bought a .32 H&RM earlier this year. The only one I don't currently have is in .357M - I sold it. It weighed more than the same size .45 Colt variant - and was boring as heck to shoot. Oddly, the pipsqueak .32M is more fun - probably the newness has worn off here for that cartridge. Still, it started for me with a .45 Colt in that BHG format. It is still a hoot to shoot.

Stainz

BluesBear
August 6, 2006, 03:28 AM
Right before my fall I was looking at trading my 1977 29-2 for a 1999 Birds-Head Grip 3" .45 Vaquero Sheriff's Model with an extra ACP cylinder.
But it's long gone now. :(

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27775&d=1124252303

I know it's not as strong but I am really impressed with the Beretta Stampede Marshall. The grip is more like a Colt 1877 Double Action (aka The Thunderer).
It feels perfect in my hand and the balance is superb.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27774&d=1124252276

The proportions of the grip actually makes the Beretta recoil seem less than the bigger heavier old model BHG Vaquero.

Waitone
August 6, 2006, 04:21 PM
ScottsGT,

Where do you shoot? I'm lookin' now.

ScottsGT
August 6, 2006, 07:25 PM
Sometimes Shooters Choice during my lunch hour, but on the weekends I drive up to Elgin. Close friend has about 140 acres we hunt/shoot & fish on. His Dads a little contankerous, but he's easy to get along with as long as you follow his rules.

jflimbach
August 12, 2006, 04:00 AM
You mean .45 LC has recoil? Thanks for the warning. I thought they must have been blanks when I tried them in my .460 S&W. Which goes to show that Issac Newton was right and a 64 ounce revolver soaks up all the .45 recoil before it even gets near your hand. 495gr .460 @ 1,300 fps will get halfway to your shoulder before it dissipates and leaves you tingly all over.

JL

Biker
August 12, 2006, 09:33 AM
I carry and shoot a Taurus 450, a shade over 17oz, two inch ported barrel and find it quite comfortable to shoot with 225gr Silvertips and only slightly less so with 260gr LSWC handloads (850-900 fps).
The 45 LC has long been my favorite HG round.
Good luck and enjoy!

Biker:)

moewadle
August 13, 2006, 02:23 AM
About a month ago I bought a brand spanking new New Vaquero in 45 colt with 7 1/2 inch barrel, stainless steel. Man, I love that gun. I have small arms and hands and I am completely out of shape and non-muscular. I am age 63 so not what I was at 40. However, I find the recoil not unpleasant at all and though I am a rank amateur with a handgun I am not doing badly at hitting somewhat close to the bull. I look forward to many years of shooting it. I am not a reloader so I have been looking around for reasonably priced 45 LC ammo. The price is shooting up on it rapidly. (For those who do not know, there is presently a greatly increased demand in the world for raw materials like brass and lead and copper.) In any event this Ruger Hog Leg is a really great gun IMHO. It is beautiful to look at, a joy to hold, and seems to be a natural pointer. MOE

ScottsGT
August 13, 2006, 03:04 PM
[Curley voice on] Hey Moe! [Curley voice off]
Check out Georgia Arms. You can get 50 rds for $18.00 Not sure what shipping would add, but it's about the best price I've seen for Cowboy Loads. I now roll my own, so I'm not sure what I'm spending :D But I picked up the dies, powder and brass at the same show I bought my Ruger at. Now I'm looking at getting some Eagle Grips, Ultra Ivory Gunfighter Grips for mine. At $155 though, it is going to be a hard pill to swallow, but I too truly love this new design Ruger.

Hollowdweller
August 13, 2006, 10:52 PM
I have a Blackhawk 7.5" .45 Colt. I haven't shot any of the allegedly hot ammo in it yet, but overall the recoil and noise seems much less than my other one of the same model and size in .30M1

Dacula Kid
August 15, 2006, 02:42 PM
If you haven't seen these yet, check 'em out before forking over $155 for grips:

http://www.clccustomgrips.com/home.html

They come highly recommended:

http://www.gunblast.com/CLC-Grips.htm

And you can find lots of gallery pics here (good resource for your Ruger, too!):

http://www.rugerforum.com/

The Kid
'73 Ruger Single Six 6.5" stainless .22lr, walnut grips, pre-billboard
Currently hunting a 3 1/2" .45LC Sheriffs model, or 4 5/8" .45LC Blackhawk or Vaquero

moewadle
August 15, 2006, 03:23 PM
I know I am being presumptuous but have you considedered the 7 1/2 inch barrel in the 45 LC? I just bought one, a stainless Ruger New Vaquero, and I am a rank amateur so my opinion ain't worth a lot but that long barrel helps keep the recoil in check and I really like how it shoots. As a trivial thing I think the grace and beauty, in short the aesthetics, of the 7 1/2 is much more attractive than the shorter barrels. But, of course, you have your reasons. So, the message here, to the original question, is think in terms of the dampening of the recoil with a longer barrel. Moe US Navy 1960-67 (Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1965)

bakert
August 16, 2006, 11:03 PM
When you get up to about 950 to 1000 fps with a 250 LRNFP or a 255 gr LSWC, the recoil of this 4 5/8 Blackhawk begins to to let you know it's there. Not really uncomfortable yet but it is right snappy.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/Picture214.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 Long Colt recoil. How bad is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!