What do you do with your hunting clothes?

PDA

Mantis
July 28, 2006, 09:08 PM
Does anyone have a special place they keep them during the off season? Maybe a dedicated closet or container? A freind of mine stores his in a large Rubbermaid container along with leaves and dirt. Has anyone made a nature-scented closet/cabinet?

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you do with your hunting clothes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mete
July 28, 2006, 09:24 PM
Nature scented !!! Give me a break ! Just wash them with non-scented detergent ,keep in a plastic bag...Bears have a fantastic sense of smell and they would probably smell you from far off. Don't use cigarettes, aftershave,soap with scent etc , and stay downwind.

borrowedtime69
July 29, 2006, 12:53 AM
i have no special storage issues, just fold it up and put it in my bottom drawer. as for scent, either during a camping trip right before hunting season, during a camp fire in my back yard or a camping / hunting trip i hang them in the way of the smoke of the fire and let it absorb as much as it can. the smoke smell does alot to cover my scent. -Eric

BIGJACK
July 29, 2006, 10:20 AM
Mete probaly has it right.

Seems to me like the smoke would at least allert them bout as fast as BO.

This cover scent business is just that, a business. It is a proven fact that it is practically impossibe to mask the human odor unless one stops breathing.

I wash mine in unscented soap and sometimes hang um out or put some cedar or pine in the bag with them but I do that because most other people do it. I really depend on the wind. Stay down wind and you can smell like a bar rag or a whore and they still want smell you.

22-rimfire
July 29, 2006, 10:40 AM
Rubbermaid tubs or similar. Heavy coats or jackets are kept in closet covered with plastic. I don't think you can actually cover human scent. You can minimize it. Just walking in to your hunting location and you have probably sweated somewhat and as a result, there is a human scent cloud that surrounds you. Pay attention to the wind.

Oldnamvet
July 29, 2006, 02:11 PM
I don't bother trying all the special soaps and sprays (even mouthwash!) that is supposed to cover your scent. I just always try to hunt facing the wind. For bird hunting, it makes no difference.

PCGS65
July 29, 2006, 02:18 PM
I store pine tree branches in with my clothes after washing with unscented detergent. Deer love pine trees.
Of course we all know about the wind.

countertop
July 29, 2006, 02:40 PM
Never even thought about it. I send the pants to the dry cleaners (cause they are wool german army pants) at the end of the season and then hang them in my closet till the next fall/winter. Sweaters and shirts, et al are washed with everything else.

BIGJACK
July 29, 2006, 02:54 PM
Counter top, do you ever kill anything?:neener: :D

PCGS65
July 29, 2006, 02:59 PM
Counter top, do you ever kill anything?
I was wondering the same thing?

MCgunner
July 29, 2006, 03:04 PM
I just stick 'em in the closet in the spare bedroom, or it will be spare if the kid ever moves out...:cuss:

I have a box I put my waders in, light weight and neoprenes. That's important for a duck hunter, also wade fisherman. I have a 3D mesh oversuit that doesn't need washing. It's mesh with little leaves all over it. I just wear my jeans, whatever street clothes and put that on over me. I have a pair of Lacrosse alltemp hunting boots I've had for a dozen years or better. They're getting a little thin, but still goin'. I only use 'em for hunting. My west Texas trips were a little hard on 'em, what with all the rocks, but around here I'll never wear 'em out.

When I was a kid, we killed deer. I really don't know how we did it. We didn't worry about washing clothes in non-fragrant detergents. Heck, my grandpa smoked on the stand! Yet, we killed deer. To listen to the outdoor shows now, that is impossible. You have to have your scentlock, your cover scent, your doe in heat, your doe decoy, your full camo, your bleat call....BS! All I need is corn in my feeder and a good 150 grain Nosler ballistic tip...:rolleyes: Maybe you need all that with a stick and a string, but if you shoot a rifle, *** for???? I've killed deer at 20 yards, Right Guard Gel and all! Perhaps its the big trophies they're worried about spookin'? I'll admit to not having any record book braggin' deer, but there ain't any where I hunt anyway. :D

sm
July 29, 2006, 03:11 PM
I don't.

Technically I do NOT have any "hunting clothes", no Gortex, no camo.

Boots have the mud knocked off and after a bit cleaned, re-treated.

Same wax cotton coat I wear in the winter, has been worn for duck, deer, small game and bird hunting. My old one was stolen - being wax cotton, get a tear, just sew and re-wax. Cannot do that with Gortex.

I did buy some Military Surplus wool britches with suspenders, I just slip these over whatever britches I am wearing when the weather is cold. Take a stiff brush, knock off the dirt and dried mud. Plastic or cardboard box to store. I actually bought these to be outdoors in for any and everything - not just hunting.

Cool weather, I get dry skin. For forever, I do not like perfumes or dyes in soaps, laundry detergent. Currently use "All" with no dyes or perfumes year round.

Then again for forever I have used Plain old Baking Soda to wash clothes, clean house, brush teeth...it works, inexpensive, neutralizes acids, and rinses off. Just cleaned the bathtub, toliets and sinks this morning with Baking Soda.

I do not get to hunt as used to, mostly small game and bird now . Even so back when I did deer hunt, I smoked, drank coffee, wore neutral/natural colors.

Scents? Never used them. Between the scents of fuel on the farm trucks, coffee, cigars, cigarettes, the critters are used to this.

Powdered sugar from donuts, cinammon twists, and such must attract them though. Heck I have tossed out a donut hole, sitting on a stump and had deer so close I ....whisper "boo" or "mornin'", "want coffee or a smoke"? :p

I don't do Camo guns or anything either.

Labgrade , now past, said it best "bowhunt with a firearm". Woods craft - not gadgets.

One cannot buy skill and targets...or game.

Yep, what Mentors basically shared. Before marketing knew more about hunting, than hunters did.

countertop
July 29, 2006, 03:58 PM
Counter top, do you ever kill anything?

Obviously not . . . of course using an underpowered Marlin 336 in the obsolete and antique .30-30 might have as much to do with that as the fact I don't spend hundreds on clothing at Cabellas

Harve Curry
July 29, 2006, 05:04 PM
No special place. When I'm traveling I use a rubbermaid plastic box.
No special soaps or scent blocker either.
I use alot of dust/puffer bottles to know the wind.
I dry my clothes or air them out on bushes that wont get sap on them.
It works for me because I've been within a few feet of bull and cow elk, deer, bear etc.

huntershooter
July 29, 2006, 05:13 PM
Keep mine in a cedar clothes closet.

HiVelocity
July 29, 2006, 05:22 PM
I've done alot of homework lately on scent and clothing, you name it............cheap to extremely expensive.

1. The charcoal impregnated [for lack of a better description] is quite expensive, but I understand it works. BUT, it requires extra care.

2. What I do is simply take all your hunting clothes, including socks and undwear, hat, scarf, whatever, and wash them all in cold water with 2 boxes of Baking soda. The baking soda impregnates into the material (and will absorb whatever you're sweating). Then hang to dry outside. About now you can buy the pine scent wafers from Wally-World. Simply take the 3 out of the pack and stash them between clothing before you pack into a large plastic garbage bag. When you shower remember not to use any deodorant, hair treatment, shaving soap or foam, etc. [BTW, use a separate towel that wasn't dried with a fabric softner]. Boots, same deal. wash well with baking soda and rinse with cold water, air dry. Boots can be stored with any "flavor" wafer scent and packed up like the clothing in a bag.

I learned early on that you definitely have to have an edge to be successful.

HiVelocity in SC

killzone
July 30, 2006, 01:33 PM
I don't know what I do makes sanse to you guys but , I like to wash my gear with baking soda and leave it in a plastic bag filled with acorns over night.

It works for me, Might work for you as well-Killzone

MCgunner
July 30, 2006, 10:19 PM
This is a little gross, but I knew a guy who saved his wifes used feminine protection and stuck it on a tree or laid it on the ground some distance from his stand, or made a little arc of 'em around his hunting area. He swore it worked.

That's okay, dude, I'll just fill my feeder, thanks. :scrutiny:

scout26
July 30, 2006, 10:35 PM
That's okay, dude, I'll just fill my feeder, thanks.

No feeders allowed here in Illinois.

Estrogen is Estrogen, so I bet his method works pretty good.

Heck even the dog gets "more protective" of my wife during certain times of the month.

Lennyjoe
July 30, 2006, 11:44 PM
For bowhunting I use Scent eliminator with UV remover in the wash. Hang dry out back and then in a sealed trash bag with some baking soda.

For rifle, nothing special other than the Scent eliminator with UV remover and that's about it.

Any way you look at it, wind direction is critical especially during bowhunting. No such thing as not sweating here in Arizona even in January. :what:

redneck2
July 31, 2006, 09:08 AM
I've got a black plastic tote with fold over lids. Makes it nice as I keep all my clothes in that. When I'm ready to go, I grab the tote and everything is in there. I used to forget various stuff. Now I have everything in one place. Grab and go.

I think things like scent, camo are like most things. It doesn't always make a difference but it can't hurt. What works for a yearling doe or spike buck isn't the same as a mature 12 pointer. They don't get that big and old by being stupid (unless it's the middle of the rut). Animals see shape and movement. If your outline is broken up and you don't move, they probably won't see you.

I think the UV thing is REAL important. One time I was in a standing dead still 2 rows back in a cornfield, downwind of a huge doe and fawns. Full camo head to toe including face mask. She got maybe 100 yards out, looked straight at me and bolted off. She had to see UV. No other explaination. I also had a home made stand that I painted with rattle cans. Had it setting by the back fence drying. My dog went out the back door, looked toward the stand and started barking like crazy. I scrapped the stand. Again, it had to be UV.

I have scent free clothing and have had deer go downwind without winding me, so I guess it works on at least some deer.

bclark1
July 31, 2006, 12:14 PM
i just hang them up in the closet. give them a couple washes with no-scent detergent and dryer sheets before the season. in my limited experience i've seen no problems with it.

'Card
July 31, 2006, 02:13 PM
Most of my stuff just hangs in the closet all summer. Just before hunting season I'll wash it in that no-scent no-UV (brighteners) detergent, then keep it in some of those big ziploc bags until I wear it. I also have some no-scent soap, shampoo and deodorant I use on myself before I go hunting.

Other than that, I don't go overboard too much with the scent-control stuff. I tend to think that most of the high-dollar scent-lock clothing people buy is designed to attract hunters with more-money-than-sense. Hell, the biggest buck I've ever shot approached me from downwind while I was smoking a cigarette. I've even seen does walk up and sniff a wad of chewing tobacco I spit out in an area I'd walked away from. *shrug*

So I don't get too worked up about it. Kind of like camouflage, seems like some common-sense precautions are reasonable, without blowing a lot of money or effort on it.

Polishrifleman
July 31, 2006, 04:21 PM
After I get them out of the rubbermaid tub, I wear them for three days straight while sweatin and stalkin, then the 4th day they come rushing in. :D Wouldn't you be interested in something that smelled like smoke, bacon grease, coffee, (Insert favorite booze here), mud and blood, you name it, it is oozing from my pores and my clothes after a couple days in camp without a shower or a laundromat within 45 miles.

Art Eatman
July 31, 2006, 06:13 PM
Wool shirts to the dry cleaners; thence into plastic anti-moth bags. Khakis to the washing machine so I'll have some work clothes. Jackets to the back of the closet. Work over the boots with neatsfoot oil or the silicone stuff.

:), Art

uk roe hunter
July 31, 2006, 07:00 PM
Hi Guys,
this is a really interesting thread, i wash my stuff normally and not very often. i am going to try the baking soda thing, my wife will think i have lost the plot, however if i ask her for some of her used sanitary products she will probably clear off!!!

steve

Skoghund
July 31, 2006, 07:05 PM
I wash my hunting clothes in the washing machine when they pass the dirty underpants test. I throw them at the ceiling if they stick there they need washing.

Mannlicher
July 31, 2006, 07:28 PM
I wash my hunting clothes in a detergent without 'brightners'. I store them all in footlocker, so I can find them when I need them. I don't have as much 'camo' as most hunters these days. I favor earth tones, browns, greens and grey, in wool or cotton. I do like goretex, and tend to buy boots, pants and jackets that have that included.

shenck
July 31, 2006, 11:09 PM
I don't do anything special with my clothes I just keep it in the closet. Just tonight at about 8:00 I was down in the woods, and I had three deer walk within twenty yards of me, and I hadn't even taken a shower after work yet.
As far as cover scents, you can't cover stink with stink. When I'm hunting I take a shower the night before and try not to get sweaty going into the woods.

By the way I have taken plenty of deer.

Lennyjoe
August 1, 2006, 11:16 AM
however if i ask her for some of her used sanitary products she will probably clear off!!!
Yuck!

OTOH, I use them there unused girly plugs to put out scent. Dip a couple in Doe in Heat and tie to a branch about 25yds from the stand. ;)

birddog
August 1, 2006, 02:41 PM
During bow season, I just wash them when they get disgusting, and hang them out on the line in the fresh air to dry. I don't store them any particular way, though I prefer to have them outside as much as possible during the season. I usually shower with scent-free soap prior to going out. At the tailgate, on the way in to hunt, I spray myself from head to toe with Scent-Away spray, or Scent Killer. I also walk in very slowly to avoid working up a sweat (good for still hunting, too!), and don't put my final outer layers on until I'm at my stand. Sweat control and scent control go hand in hand.

A pal of mine stores his in a bag with a pine branch. I'm sure the deer near his stand always wonder why that oak tree over there always smells like white pine.....

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you do with your hunting clothes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!