Anti-Lott site - what am I to make of this?

PDA

MicroBalrog
May 5, 2003, 12:55 PM
http://www.whoismaryrosh.com/

For three years, John Lott pretended to be a young woman.

Her name was Mary Rosh.

Mary Rosh often spoke sweetly of her days as a student of John's, she gave a glowing Amazon.com review of his book "More Guns, Less Crime," she criticized anyone who questioned John's research or his conclusions, and she attacked other researchers in her ardent defense of Lott's idea that more guns on the streets leads to less crime.

She was also a petite defenseless creature. We know this because John, we mean, she said:

"Do you really think that most women can out run your typical criminal?…Even if I am not wearing heels, I don’t think that there are many men that I could outrun.

"As a woman, who weighs 114 lbs, what am I supposed to do if I am confronted by a 200 lbs. man?"

Then a researcher at the conservative think tank CATO Institute discovered the truth about Mary Rosh and undressed John Lott for all the world to see.

Currently, Lott is a resident scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute

If you enjoyed reading about "Anti-Lott site - what am I to make of this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cordex
May 5, 2003, 01:00 PM
Lott admitted to this.

He screwed up. It was dumb.

MicroBalrog
May 5, 2003, 01:02 PM
What about what they say about his research?

OF
May 5, 2003, 01:16 PM
Lott is his own worst enemy. As for the research, the body of research is enormous, although it appears he has a couple of gaffs in there that he should have just piped up and said 'oops, here let me fix that' to address. Instead he digs himself a nice grave and proceeds to lie down in it.

Nothing I have seen refutes his conclusions, although his integrity and intelligence are obviously up for discussion.

What a major charlie foxtrot this guy has got himself into.

- Gabe

Snowdog
May 5, 2003, 01:36 PM
What?!

:uhoh:

Interesting....

Elmer Snerd
May 5, 2003, 01:44 PM
Pretending to be Rosh and forgetting to back up critical data were, to put it mildly, dumb.

However, AFAIK, he still did not deliberately and with malice aforethought lie [edit: about 2A issues] like Moore (http://www.moorelies.com/) and Bellesiles (http://www.saf.org/pub/rkba/general/GunsInEarlyAmerica.htm)

edited for clarity and my sense of perfectionism

No4Mk1
May 5, 2003, 01:48 PM
Another vote for terminally bad decision making... however.....

The "missing" research has since been duplicated with a subsequent well documented study that produced virtually identical results.

UnknownSailor
May 5, 2003, 02:18 PM
Notice that last line in the opening post (emphesis mine):
Currently, Lott is a resident scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute

Does this mean I can preface stories about University of California: Berkley professors with the "liberal" description?

CZ-75
May 5, 2003, 02:33 PM
Does this mean I can preface stories about University of California: Berkley professors with the "liberal" description?

Nope, only works in one direction.

Same as why Castro is a "leader" and Samosa was a "dictator."

Don Gwinn
May 5, 2003, 03:56 PM
He was really, really stupid, and let's face it, he did lie. A lot. Pretending to be someone else, especially as your own cheering section, is the kind of thing that gets you banned from places like TFL and THR without warning because it's so fundamentally dishonest and sleazy.

Why in the world he did it, I'll never understand, but we can't improve the situation by making excuses for him.

Jim March
May 5, 2003, 04:42 PM
Don't worry, it wasn't him!

His alien eyebrows took over his brain!

:rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
May 5, 2003, 09:02 PM
Bet he won't do that again!

boing
May 6, 2003, 02:58 AM
Maybe it's him, pretending to be bashing himself...or something.

Byron Quick
May 6, 2003, 04:11 AM
Yeah, I bet he won't do it again, either.

Not that it matters.

He's killed his credibility.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anti-Lott site - what am I to make of this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!