Removing Springfield XD front sight, any good tricks?

PDA

wally
July 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
I've done it for my XD9, (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=212958) but am asking if there is an easier way to remove the original XD front sight besides cutting it in half and removing the pieces?

I may try to rig up some kind of ram to use a hydraulic (bottle jack) press and before I start on my XD45 I'd like to hear of any other sucessful methods.

OTOH now that I know, cutting the old one in half isn't all that hard.

--wally.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Springfield XD front sight, any good tricks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangermonroe
July 29, 2006, 07:02 PM
I drifted mine out, It would only go one way.

Used a BFH, and a steel drift.

The trijiicons went in a lot easier than the old ones came out.

wally
July 29, 2006, 08:30 PM
Which way did you drift?

Package insert that came with the front sight said to drift from Right side to Left side (as gun would be held in normal shooting position). I tried both directions moving to "plan B" when the two edges of the supplied aluminum drift deformed without the sight budging (once in each direction).

--wally.

wally
January 7, 2007, 03:57 PM
My XD45 front sight drifted right out (from right to left) with only a bit more force than required for other guns I've done. Hopefully Springfield realized they were doing a dis-service to have the sight dovetails so tight.

--wally.

Stinger1
January 9, 2007, 11:49 AM
XD sights are factory installed with a hydrolic press, that's why it's so difficult to remove them the first time. You can fault Springfield for doing this and making after market sights hard to change over but you can't say that the stock sight won't stay on.

The best way to remove the sights is to spray them with a little liquid wrench then take a lg. hammer and steel punch and drift them out while securing the slide in a padded vise. A couple of good whacks and your done. Just be careful not to mar your finish by getting over-zealous!!!

The smarter way is to get the services of a good gunsmith to do it for you.

RC

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Springfield XD front sight, any good tricks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!