Gun Movies ... Recommendations

PDA

Smoke
May 5, 2003, 02:53 PM
I'm going down on my back for a couple of days after a small out-patient surgery. Need to stock up on movies to get me through the down time.

Any recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Movies ... Recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BerettaNut92
May 5, 2003, 02:55 PM
Serious: Heat, Blackhawk Down, Way of the Gun, Ronin (not really a gun movie but good)

Cute & Fun: Matrix, Replacement Killers, Hard Boiled, the Killer, Face/Off.

For the Chinese movies get the subtitled and NOT the dubbed :barf:

blades67
May 5, 2003, 02:57 PM
The Professional, Young Guns, Point Break, Saving Pvt. Ryan. Many others.

PATH
May 5, 2003, 03:04 PM
"We Were Soldiers" - Mel Gibson

"Siege of Firebase Gloria" - R. Lee Ermey (The scene about religiousity is worth it alone!)

"Pork Chop Hill" - Gregory Peck

"Battle of Britain" - Not so much a gun movie as one of aerial combat using machine guns of course.

"Cross of Iron" - James Mason and James Coburn great stuff!

Just a few of the many favorites I like to watch!

LiquidTension
May 5, 2003, 03:09 PM
The Boondock Saints, Last Man Standing.
Second recommendation for Heat, Matrix, Blackhawk Down, and the Chow Yun Fat shoot 'em ups.

Bonker
May 5, 2003, 03:13 PM
Last man Standing - Bruce Willis is a 20's gangster who takes over a small texas town by pitting 2 gangs against each other. Amazing 1911 shooting.

Desperado - Antonio Banderas' version of the same movie...sort of

I'm also in the mood to see my favorite western of all time..."Silverado"

Snowdog
May 5, 2003, 03:23 PM
Replacement Killers? Was that the one with the Kahr-packin' Mira Sorvino? If so, then she's the reason you want to watch that movie, forget the guns.

You want guns, watch Aliens. I'm still holding out for a 10mm pulse rifle, caseless exploding ammunition with a round counter.

Some day....

Mastrogiacomo
May 5, 2003, 03:23 PM
Another thumbs up for Chinese subtitled films:

The Killer -- John Woo
Hardboiled -- John Woo
A Better Tomorrow I & II -- John Woo
A Better Tomorrow III -- Tsui Hark
Full Contact -- Ringo Lam
Bullet in the Head -- John Woo
My Father is a Hero (Jet Li, Anita Mui) aka Letter to Papa
Time and Tides -- Tsui Hark
The Matrix (American)
Gloria (with Gena Rowlands)
Jackie Brown (Pam Grier)
High Plains Drifter (Clint Eastward)

Just to start...:D

Ian
May 5, 2003, 03:57 PM
The Outlaw Josey Wales ("You gonna draw them pistols, of whistle Dixie?")
Unforgiven (another great Clint Eastwood western)
Uprising (an excellent NBC movie about the Warsaw Ghetto revolt)

And I'll definitely second the recommendations of:
Boondock Saints
Ronin
Heat
The Way of the Gun

bogie
May 5, 2003, 04:46 PM
Last Man Standing was a remake of Fistful of Dollars, which was a remake of Kurosawa's Yojimbo.

Desperado was a remake of El Mariachi (by the same director, after he got a reputation, and more $$, and bears little relation to the above flicks.

Don't just do guns - do some comedies. Or some classic flicks - heck if you're recouping, get Hitchcock's Rear Window...

GlocksRock
May 5, 2003, 04:48 PM
Tombstone was excellent. It's sorta gun related, but still a very good movie. Westerns aren't really my thing, but I still had to see this one, and it was worth it.

El Tejon
May 5, 2003, 05:20 PM
"Big Jake"! Wow, twice in one day.:D

Desert Dog
May 5, 2003, 05:29 PM
"Quigley Down Under" - Tom Selleck... AWESOME movie.

"Red Dawn" - cult classic

"True Grit" and "Rooster Cogburn" - I shouldn't even need to say anything here...

kalibear45
May 5, 2003, 05:39 PM
Wasabi :D

http://www.winecountrycottagerentals.com/wasabi_b2.jpg

MeekandMild
May 5, 2003, 06:03 PM
Wasabi AND Ronin!

Sam Adams
May 5, 2003, 06:31 PM
How could everyone miss The Windtalkers and Enemy at the Gates?

Patton is a great one to make you feel wonderful about being an American (but do get the uncut version). Ditto The Wind and the Lion (Brian Keith as TR and Sean Connery as circa 1904 Arab as hard to catch as Bin Laden, though not as bad); there's a great scene in this one with the Americans and Germans (I won't spoil it for you). Midway isn't bad from that perspective (just imagine that we are bombing the French).

The Alamo (and, take it from a Texan, MISS the new version coming out soon - nothing but revisionist history).

I second Red Dawn, The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter/Unforgiven (in that order), True Grit (Fill yer hands, you sons a beaches! - what a CLASSIC line) and Cross of Iron.

If you need to laugh (and that's good medicine, too), try My Cousin Vinny and Monty Python and the Holy Grail (the latter will test whether you have truly regained consciousness, as you won't understand much if you haven't).

Enjoy, and have a quick recovery.

hksw
May 5, 2003, 06:56 PM
Kelly's Heroes

vmi93
May 5, 2003, 06:59 PM
"The Sand Pebbles" for those BAR and '03 Springfield fetishists.

"Zulu" and/or "Zulu Dawn" if you like Martini-Henry's, lots of Martini-Henry's

"The Man who Would be King" if you've already seen "The Wind and the Lion" and just HAVE to see another John Milius film. Also lots of Martini-Henry's.

"Death Hunt" if you want to see Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson in the same movie with a lot of different turn of the century sporting rifles.

"Reservoir Dogs" if you like BAD men waving S&W semiautos around while spouting improbable dialogue. :)

BerettaNut92
May 5, 2003, 06:59 PM
Wasaaaaaaabi......

PATH
May 5, 2003, 07:02 PM
ISn't that the stuff I put on my sashimi? Green mustard I believe.

Nando Aqui
May 5, 2003, 07:19 PM
My Top Ten (gun) War Movies:
1. Black Hawk Down (historic)
2. Enemy at the Gates (historic)
3, We Were Soldiers (historic)
4. Patton (historic)
5. A Bridge Too Far (historic) *
6. Bridge at Remagen (historic) *
7. Behind Enemy Lines (fiction)
8. The Patriot (historic)
9. Shot Through the Heart (Sarajevo - excellent true sniper story) **
10. Savior (along similar lines as Shot Through...)**

(*) Although made sometime ago these two movies are extremely well made.
(**) Recent conflict in the Balkans - they are rather cruel and true to life. Very well made.

Enjoy!
Alex

cool45auto
May 5, 2003, 07:30 PM
Way of the Gun
The Transporter
Heat
Saving Private Ryan
Lethal Weapons 1,2,3
The Replacement Killers

Some already mentioned but worth mentioning again. Hope everything goes okay for you, Smoke.

556A2
May 5, 2003, 08:16 PM
Many have recommended them but I'll add on:

Reservior Dogs, Way of the Gun, Boondock Saints, Pulp Fiction, Evil Dead series (funny not scary), Taxi Driver, Enemy At The Gates, Dawn of the Dead, The Professional, and Blackhawk Down.

TechBrute
May 5, 2003, 08:29 PM
"Quigley Down Under" - Tom Selleck... AWESOME movie. Dern it, ya beat me to it.

Saving Private Ryan

Predator :D

bigshark14
May 5, 2003, 09:04 PM
"The Searchers" - Mr. J. Wayne

"The Professional" is a good movie and there is a longer director's cut version called "Leon" with a few more scenes. Big time Ber92 used mostly by Jeann Reno and one very nice Sig229 carried by an extra who plays a cop, both have some type of (fake?) flash supressor attached. Pretty cool revolvers as well. The ending kicks so much but that it is hard to even explain.

M38
May 5, 2003, 09:38 PM
The Winter War
Band of Brothers
Gettysburg

Stevie-Ray
May 5, 2003, 09:52 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive
Extreme Prejudice
Commando
Raw Deal
Invasion USA
The Terminator
Robocop
Cobra

Nando Aqui
May 5, 2003, 10:10 PM
I forgot Saving Private Ryan, but better yet, since you will have the time, I agree:
BAND OF BROTHERS!
Alex

Ian Sean
May 5, 2003, 10:25 PM
'To Hell and Back" Audie Murphy

"Sgt. York" Gary Cooper

Been feeling nostalgic lately.

Doc
May 5, 2003, 10:32 PM
Dead Calm,
The Cleaner,
The Professional,
Thief w/ James Caan,
So I Married an Ax Murderer,
all the star wars flicks

Jedi_7.62
May 5, 2003, 10:43 PM
Wow I can't believe no one named these.

The PATRIOT & TOMBSTONE

All my other pics have been named already

gtd
May 5, 2003, 10:54 PM
Silent Night

Bonker
May 5, 2003, 10:57 PM
Holy crap we forgot "Quigley Down Under" !!! Awesome flick.

stevelyn
May 6, 2003, 12:55 AM
The majority are westerns although it's not intended that way.

Cross Fire Trail
Predator (that mini-gun is awesome)
Return to Powder River
The Sacketts
Rough Riders
Buffalo Soldiers
The Patriot
Night of the Living Dead :D
Red Dawn
Pale Rider
Silverado
Quigley Down Under

Admiral Thrawn
May 6, 2003, 01:04 AM
Gun Films

(Chosen for their more realistic gun handling over Hollywood action junkie flicks.)

The Way of the Gun
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Heat
We Were Soldiers
Last Man Standing
Assassins
24: Season One
The Professional

roscoe
May 6, 2003, 01:11 AM
I don't know if you are into old Film Noir, but I can recommend Dead Reckoning (w/Bogart), Night of the Hunter, Out of the Past, Kansas City Confidential, Kiss Me Deadly, DOA, and of course The Big Sleep. The gunplay is mostly all with black snubbies, although Bogie has a cool scene with an incindiery grenade in Dead Reckoning.

Also, Neville Brand, the fourth highest decorated soldier in WWII, makes a good heavy-lidded thug in KC Confidential and DOA. Apparently he took out a German machine-gun nest in WWII.

JShirley
May 6, 2003, 01:18 AM
Many good flicks mentioned. It was the third or fourth viewing before I found "Unforgiven" really enjoyable, but now it's in my top 10 all-time favorites.

Also, "Dog Soldiers" and "Payback".

It's a hell of a thing, ain't it, killin' a man. You take away everything he's got- an' everything he's ever gonna have...

Well, I guess they had it comin'.

We all got it comin', Kid.

Trebor
May 6, 2003, 07:57 AM
L. A. Confidental. Great movie, that's well put together and has outstanding 1950's gunhandling and a couple of cool shoot outs.

gburner
May 6, 2003, 09:29 AM
The Getaway...no one handles a .45 or pump shotty like Steve McQueen.

Lawrence of Arabia...long, beautifully photographed with excellent gunplay throughout.

Kelly's Heroes...woof woof, that's my other doggie.

LA Confidential...outstanding.

The Usual Suspects...Who IS Kaiser Souza?

Private Ryan!

Tombstone...poor Johnny Ringo, he just couldn't stand the strain.

The Professional...Gary Oldman freaks me out everytime I see this movie. What is the hand cannon that he carries???

Newt
May 6, 2003, 09:45 AM
because band of brothers is the best war movie I've seen in a long time, and it's true, you will have some time on your hands.

Along with that.... Josie Whales, (isn't that the one where he spits on everything) Quigley Down Under, and pretty much any western.

hansolo
May 6, 2003, 05:24 PM
For us 'mature' folk:

"Death Wish" Charles Bronson's ultimate revenge film.

All the "Dirty Harry Films", plus "The Gauntlet."

"Battleground" Realistic WWII film

"Training Day"...Denzel Washington's double S&W semiautos and his Partner's wierd weak-handed grip on his Beretta

Feel Better!:cool:

50 Freak
May 6, 2003, 09:16 PM
Hey Dog Soldiers was pretty awesome. The Professional, Way of the gun, Boondock Saints and heres one no one mentioned.

Brothers (story of a Japanese Yakuza mobster who comes to the US and starts his own "yakuza")

PATH
May 7, 2003, 02:20 AM
Smoke,

You will tell us what you watched won't you? By the way let me add Lee Marvin in "The Big Red One".

Mike Irwin
May 7, 2003, 11:58 AM
LA Confidential

Heat

The Patriot

Cross of Iron

True Grit

Rooster Cogburn

The Shootist

The Longest Day

Brian Williams
May 7, 2003, 12:27 PM
The Mechanic

The Good, Bad and the Ugly

Sneakers not a gun flick but good plot

ditto Quigley

Glory

Shawshank Redemption, also not gun but love the end, coupla Tommy guns in there.

Navy seels. a little hokey but you gotta love it when the barret starts

45R
May 7, 2003, 12:36 PM
Most of the movies that I like have already been suggested. If you like anime....check out CowBoy Bebop and Trigun.

ahenry
May 7, 2003, 12:46 PM
The Alamo (and, take it from a Texan, MISS the new version coming out soon - nothing but revisionist history). What are you basing that on? I’ve been following it and it doesn’t seem that be revisionist to me. About the only thing you could point to is that it includes a Mexican soldier perspective. But then, The Alamo sort of did that too... You know the director was the one that did the Rookie and he stayed true to history then and has made more than a few comments that he is intent on doing the same for this movie.

NJ3
May 7, 2003, 04:03 PM
Not really a "gun movie", but you might want to check out The Crow with Brandon Lee. The gun fight scene alone is worth the rental price.

modifiedbrowning
May 8, 2003, 01:38 AM
Checkout "Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension" Hilarious movie, you just have to pay attention. Also, there is some gunplay involved.

Bonker
May 8, 2003, 01:48 AM
stevelyn I'm glad you said "Silverado." That movie is easily one of my top favorite films of all time.
Personally I think it's the best western ever made :)

sm
May 8, 2003, 02:08 AM
Hard to add to this list, however:

The Wild Bunch
Dirty Dozen
Young Guns
Any of Eastwood's Spaghetti Westerns
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Non gun: Papillion, Cool Hand Luke

stevelyn
May 8, 2003, 09:19 AM
Bonker, Silverado is one of the coolest and most under-rated westerns ever made. It has the best of everything in it. I've also been a Scott Glenn fan since I saw him play Alan Shepard in "The Right Stuff". Also liked his role in "The Wild Geese II (?)

Heeeyyyyy, there's another couple of good movies. Wild Geese and Wild Geese II. Mercenary ops in Africa, and a mission to spring Rudolph Hess from Spandau Prison.

Frohickey
May 8, 2003, 02:18 PM
Police: Heat, The Professional, Rambo, Magnum Force (and other Clint movies)
Military: Saving Pvt Ryan, Blackhawk Down, We Were Soldiers, Sniper
Fantasy: The Matrix, Desperado, Reign of Fire, Equilibrium
Western: Quigley Down Under, The Good The Bad The Ugly (and other Clint movies), True Grit (and other The Duke movies)
Apocalypse: Red Dawn
Revolutionary: The Patriot

Rawlings
May 8, 2003, 08:45 PM
I can't recommend Equilibrium enough. It should be coming out on DVD next week.

Ronin was damn good as well.

Smoke
May 12, 2003, 12:06 PM
Here is the list as it stands:

Rented and arrived:

Heat
Band of Brothers
The Way of the Gun
Last Man Standing
L.A. Confidentail;
Replacement Killers
Jackass: the Movie (Gotta laugh at something)
Ronin

In the Rental Queue:

Johnson County War
Red Dawn (haven’t watched it in awhile)
Big Jake
Desperado (Selma Hayek…yummy)
Sniper
(actually have 50 movies in my queue…we’ll see how many I can get through)

Thanks for all the input. Many mentioned I have in the collection already, many others I have seen countless times.

Feel free to suggest others as you think of them.

Thanks,

Smoke

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Movies ... Recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!