San Marco conversion

PDA

oneshooter
July 30, 2006, 07:09 PM
Stopped by a local pawn shop that I frequent and they had a Armi San Marco 1860 with Richards conversion in 44 Colt. 5 1/2bbl, looks NEW. $200 +tx out the door. I have bought several guns from them and I get first shot at the "strange"guns. Good deal? Am not familure with San Marco.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

If you enjoyed reading about "San Marco conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Manyirons
July 30, 2006, 07:38 PM
MEC calls em ARMI SAN BARFO an tha MANN agrees. Real crap shoot findin a good un.

sundance44s
July 30, 2006, 07:47 PM
Never heard a good word about a Colt ASM .. but i`ve got a Remmie 58 ASM thats fit and finish is better than my Uberti and it was built around 1993 .

Jim Watson
July 30, 2006, 07:48 PM
I bought a Cimarron/ASM Schofield. It was dreadful. They gave me most of my money back. I bought a Cimarron/ASM Model P with it. It is OK.
After a few changes of hands I don't think they are in business any more.
Eyetalian cartridge conversions are more of a crapshoot than cartridge designs and this one is likely an orphan.

oneshooter
July 30, 2006, 11:13 PM
Sounds like it might be a good deal at HALF the price! Will have to take a longer look at it. I reload so the ammo is no problem. Thanks for the info.

Now the Romanian AK for $250___________________but thats another forum!!:D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Smokin_Gun
July 31, 2006, 03:18 AM
If I had the $200 I'd offer to buy it right now from ya, they still sell for around $350 easy. Nothin' wrong with San Marco revs...you have the same crap shoot with Uberti, and Pietta... Cimarron has been known to ship some pretty crappy Ubertis out. If it works good enjoy it. And $200 for a Richard Mason conversion is a real good price.
San Marcos parts no website:
Deer Creek
Phone # 765-525-6181

oneshooter
July 31, 2006, 10:40 PM
Smokin Gun, I don't believe that the conversion would be legal in California. It could be used as an "assault weapon" ya know!!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Smokin_Gun
August 1, 2006, 02:34 AM
:rolleyes: LoL! Of course it is pre 1893 is a federal law of the 2nd amendment...If I can buy a Ruger Blackhawk why do you think I can't but a 1860 R-M conversion. I just sold my Uberti R&D conversion to a friend in here in CA. People from outa state always have a misconseption of the Republic of California.
Now unless you were pullin' a Texas vs California joke on me.

sjohns
August 1, 2006, 05:41 PM
I live here in CA abd I have converted one of my Ubertis, plus I have drop ins for Remington and Dragoon revolvers. (Got one from SG) Its not a problem. It only will become a problem once you try to sell one. But you can convert one yourself FOR yourself without having to register it, currently.

But purchasing a converted gun requires registration.

Since drop ins do not require that you do any machine work, they aren't even considered to be conversions as far as the gun's status is concerned. So technically you can get one of those without using a transfer dealer, but I would have the frame and cylinder shipped separately to avoid problems.

So have at it.

By the way, the River Junction page lists conversion cylinders for ASM made by Kirst. Don't know if they're gated or not.

mike101
August 2, 2006, 04:53 AM
I once heard a guy who was selling an ASM Colt Walker say that, as far as fit and finish, ASMs were better than anything currently coming from Italy. Never saw one myself, but for $200 for a Richards conversion, I would jump on it. You can always take it to a gunsmith to have any wrinkles ironed out. There is a place in Ohio, Bigiron Rifled Barrel Works (Bigironbarrels.com) that sells internal lockwork parts that are supposed to be unbreakable. Better steel.

I bought a Cimmaron stainless '58 Remington recently that was so full of casting anomolies (big pits), that I had to return it. So any Italian gun can be a crapshoot.

sjohns
August 2, 2006, 06:43 PM
It can be a crap shoot sometimes, that's for sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "San Marco conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!