Good Cheap SxS shotguns?

PDA

Battler
May 5, 2003, 06:05 PM
Coach gun size, just to have one.

I am interested in something that is safe to shoot, and fun to shoot.

I've asked the question before, and ask again as the answer may change.

What's out there? The Baikal/European-American Armory offerings, and the Chinese. Anything else? Does an american manufacturer still make a good double?

I remember SxSs from my youth, nice double-barrels that worked. Should I consider hunting for a used one from this era? What to look out for?

thanks,
Battler.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Cheap SxS shotguns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
May 5, 2003, 07:00 PM
The Stoeger-IGA (Brazil) double is very common in Cowboy shooting. It is definitely a cheap gun but I would prefer it to the Russian thing. It benefits from a lot of shooting to break in or polishing of the working parts. I have not seen a Baikal that did not require a lot of effort to open, even after "tuning.".

I haven't seen the People's Republican Army of Communist China slave labor gun yet. I don't think I want to.

The next tier of double guns are made in Spain, Turkey and Italy and sold here under various off brand names.

There is no American made cheap double. The Ruger is $1400+. The Conneticut Valley guns on Winchester, Fox, and Ithaca designs are very expensive.

A second-hand gun is an option, but most name brand doubles at affordable prices are pretty well worn, some worn out. If you are patient and careful to get one in good mechanical condition that will do you very well. My CAS scattergun is about 70 years old and looks it, but it shoots.

Okiecruffler
May 5, 2003, 10:42 PM
I was looking at a Stoeger uplander last week and it had the absolute worst fit and finish I've ever seen. Maybe it just managed to sneak out of the factory. The wood to metal fit was rough and splintery, and there was a 1/2 inch area under the left barrel that had missed the bluing process somehow. If you're patient you can find a good cheap American double that someone has chopped up. I know I've seen more than a fair amount of Stevens for around $300.

TIMC
May 5, 2003, 11:46 PM
The Baikal guns are decent inexpensive weapons. They make a nice coach gun you should be happy with.

makarov
May 6, 2003, 01:24 AM
You know what they say about opinions....

Here we have one saying Baikal are crap, another saying Stoeger is crap and a couple of reccommendations for each!

I have seen decent examples of both. Go check one out in person. See how the action feels (is it stiff to open etc..) look at the quality of the wood and metal and general fit. If it looks good go for it. The local Bi-Mart where I live carries the Stoegers sometimes for great prices. The Russian guns are cheaper, but seem to be more common around here.

SASS#23149
May 6, 2003, 01:33 AM
By "coach gun size" do you mean approx. 18 1/2" ? If so,the used market is practically nil on those.Cowboy shooters like myself snap em up ,and almost never let em go.:)
If you just mean a doubel barrel,there are hundreds of good used doubles on the market,most common/cheapest is the stevens 311
I just picked up a Boito doubel for a friend,almost like new,for two hundred dollars.
My cas gun is a Stoeger Uplander,and it serves me well.They are under three hundred new,mosttimes. They have a newer coachgun model out now,I thinkk it's called Silverado.Nice short handy weapon.

Dr.Rob
May 6, 2003, 05:10 AM
Sadly long gone are the days of Savage/Stevens inexpensive doubles. Now a Rossi overland commands a premium price.

I've seen Stoegers I liked, and Baikals that were atrocious (like that rickety looking exposed hammer model) and others that were passable, particularly the internal hammer models.

I'd look on gunbroker to see what a stevens is going for.

Smoke
May 6, 2003, 07:45 AM
I'd look for a good used Stevens over the others. Just be aware; they are notoriously weak in the wrist.

Battler
May 6, 2003, 01:09 PM
I'll probably pick up a Stoeger. The store I went to seemed well stocked with them.

Am even considering a used one they had. The purchase is one "just to have" a coach gun, so this may be a good route.

Traveler
May 6, 2003, 02:08 PM
Quite frankly used imported guns are the deals right now. There's no way you can compete for quality with a 1970's-1990's Spanish SXS. Get one cheap, have the barrels shortened, and you'll have a better gun than your neighbors. Extractor guns (as opposed to ejector guns) are dirt cheap.

Here's a link with better than a dozen guns that fit your requirements. I would recommend the Hunter Arms or other Aya products listed without reservation.

http://capeoutfitters.com/Firearms/misc_shotguns.htm

(As an aside, I hate to see a decent gun butchered, but seriously this will get you a better gun than any of the sub-$1000 new guns on the market.)

Brad Johnson
May 6, 2003, 03:36 PM
My Mom has a Stoeger SxS .410 that's a decent garden gun, especially given the sub $350 price. I also have a couple of buddies that bought the Baikal SxS 12's for ranch guns. They seem to be fine and have suffered no mechanical problems despite being subjected to less-than-ideal conditions. Neither Stoeger or the Baikal will win any awards for fit and finish, but both are acceptable quality for the price.

Brad

Grayrock
May 7, 2003, 12:42 AM
For a nice looking SxS that won't break the bank, check out the Huglu's. I bought an S-2 in 20 ga last year and like it a lot. It has been very reliable.

Okiecruffler
May 7, 2003, 01:54 AM
Or if it sounded like it, I didn't mean to. Having only quickly looked over one, and never fired one, I don't think I could come to that strong opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Cheap SxS shotguns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!