If you could get a Security Six at a good price would you?

PDA

salthouse
August 1, 2006, 04:13 PM
I've got an opportunity on a 70's vintage Security Six in excellent, like new condition. I don't need it, its a good buy, I need advice. Opinions? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "If you could get a Security Six at a good price would you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
robert garner
August 1, 2006, 04:19 PM
Personally I would,I traded mine for a Smith,but I cannot push it like I could the Ruger. All I've found show how much abuse they can take!
robert

SAWBONES
August 1, 2006, 04:44 PM
You betcha.

GrandmasterB
August 1, 2006, 05:19 PM
That's why I have two! The first one showed me what a quality piece they are, and the second was too good a price to pass up (even though I didn't actually need it.) :D

Jim March
August 1, 2006, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah. Absolutely.

For one thing, a mid-sized transfer-bar single action gun is a terrific "newbie trainer". Recoil is close to nill, safety level is high, it's a "politically correct cowboy gun", etc. Basically, everybody needs a Single Six.

I'm just waiting until a 22LR/Mag convertable with the new XR3 grip frame ships, and I'll snap one up.

Doug.38PR
August 1, 2006, 06:10 PM
Buy it. I did. Two weeks ago I got a Security Six for $250 as a knock down drag out gun to use and abuse. Didn't need it, just wanted something to take the pressure of my other .38s and .357s that I shoot so much.

slick6
August 1, 2006, 06:28 PM
Buy that Security Six! You can't beat em! They are great guns(Tougher than nails!)!:eek: :what:

Trebor
August 1, 2006, 06:47 PM
I'd buy either a Security Six/Service Six .38 or a Single Six .22 if I could find either at a good price. They are good guns.

kimbernut
August 1, 2006, 07:50 PM
Bought one in '76. Traded it in '81. Regretted it since. One fine revolver!
The GP100 is good but the Security Six is better. You won't regret the purchase.

Eightball
August 1, 2006, 09:05 PM
Buy it. Shoot it. If you don't like it, send it to me:D .

medmo
August 2, 2006, 03:57 AM
Yes. Bill Ruger stated in his memoirs that he doesn't think they made a dime off of those revolvers. I own 2. I might own a few more when I'm done.

TallPine
August 2, 2006, 10:54 AM
a 4" security six is my daily carry piece :)

i bought it for $199. it had some holster wear on the bluing then and it has a lot more now ;)

Sistema1927
August 2, 2006, 11:00 AM
Yep, I would buy it. That is why, even though I didn't "need" it, I purchased a Speed-Six.

ID_shooting
August 2, 2006, 11:05 AM
I love mine, pulls night stand and camper duty. Great fun poping soda can at the range w/ .38s. Anything under $350 for one in good condition is a steal!

foghornl
August 2, 2006, 02:38 PM
Faster than you can say "Sold!"

Harry Paget Flashman
August 2, 2006, 03:22 PM
When they coined the term "Best Bang for the Buck" I believe they were thinking of this gun.

OldSchooler
August 3, 2006, 01:05 AM
If you could get a Security Six at a good price would you?

Without hesitating.

pierrebazukhov
August 3, 2006, 01:36 AM
I'd whip out my wallet so fast the ass of my jeans would be smoking. Seriously. I had a Speed Six that I traded, like a dummy, that I bitterly regret trading. It was tough like a Ruger and handy like a K-frame.

Jim March
August 3, 2006, 02:04 AM
Man. I sure misread the title on THIS one, didn't I?

:uhoh:

kjeff50cal
August 3, 2006, 02:06 AM
pierrebazukhov- " Seriously. I had a Speed Six that I traded, like a dummy, that I bitterly regret trading. It was tough like a Ruger and handy like a K-frame."

+1- BTDTHTTS:o

Logan5
August 3, 2006, 02:43 AM
The -six series is currently overlooked, kind of like the way blued S&W revolvers were 5 to 10 years ago, but Ruger isn't making any more of them, and they won't stay cheap forever. They were a good buy for MSRP when new, and are pretty darn nice for carry and range work, so why wouldn't you? Get while the getting is good, and you won't regret it.

ronto
August 3, 2006, 04:16 PM
I've got a 6-inch version in my bedside table just waiting for someone kicking down my door in the wee hours....or any other time for that matter. Would I buy another one? YES!!! A very,very well made revolver.
P.S. The factory wood grips are way too small. I put Hogue MonoGrips on mine ...it makes a world of difference.

ID_shooting
August 3, 2006, 04:26 PM
Well, if you followed the advice listed here, show us the pics!

eastwood44mag
August 3, 2006, 05:31 PM
Don't buy it. Send me the seller's info instead.

Eightball
August 3, 2006, 09:35 PM
Don't buy it. Send me the seller's info instead.Send it to me, not him.

Or, buy it and send it to me, I'll give you +$50 what you paid for it.:D

medmo
August 4, 2006, 04:16 AM
CDNN has a lot they picked up brand new in the box. Apparently they sat forgotten in some wharehouse waiting to be discovered.

BluesBear
August 4, 2006, 07:17 AM
I handled one of the CDNN Security-Sixes two weeks ago and it looked just like I remember them when I sold them back in 1980. It was truely NIB.
It felt like opening a time capsule.
I wish I'd had the money to snatch it up. They are still great guns.

dogngun
August 5, 2006, 08:22 AM
The old Security Six revolver is one of the best revolvers ever made by anybody, better than today's Rugers, IMHO. They take some time to wear in, but they smooth up quite well after many hours of dry firing. I have owned about 4 different ones, and I'd buy one in a minute if I didn't already have about 8 Smiths.
You can wear one in, but you will never wear one out. (HA!)
Mark

Dienekes
August 6, 2006, 11:15 PM
I have almost enough of them--somewhere around eight or so. The least I paid was $89 for a 4" fixed sighted one in .38 Spl. with a rough exterior. Shipped it off to Ruger for rehab and it's my son's Old Reliable now.

Carried one as an LEO for a decade and a half. As Bill Cody said about his old Remington cap and ball, "It never failed me".

Ruger could do worse than to bring them back.

Troggy
August 6, 2006, 11:30 PM
If it's a good price, you can afford it and it's in good shape why wouldn't you?

John C
August 7, 2006, 02:08 AM
I don't know if I would. I've been on the hunt for a cheap .357 for a while now, and thought a stainless security-six would be just the ticket.

To that end, I've been crawling the pawnshops looking for one. The ones I've seen have been a little too much (not the fault of the gun, but of the pawnshop keeper). The issue has been that each pistol I've examined (maybe 10 in all) just seemed like they haven't stood the test of time. A little loose or sloppy. Of course, these are pawnshop specials, but from a decent sample size, ALL of them just seemed like they ran a poor second to a comparable Smith.

To be fair, a lot of Smiths that I've examined (probably 100), pawnshop specials, from the '70s or early '80s, also seemed a little sloppy. Most of these are/were police duty weapons, so you would expect holster/finish wear, but otherwise a tight gun. Even the non-police guns, most people don't shoot that much, especially people that sell their guns to a pawnshop. Generally NOT gun people, which is why there are usually so many great guns there.

However, I was at a gun show a few months ago, and saw an in-the-white security-six that appeared to have been painted black, then had most of the paint removed. It said "Bicentenial Model" or similar on the side. The dealer, a local pawnshop, said that he thought it was a blued model that had been stripped down, but since there was NO evidence of corrosion, I'm pretty sure it was stainless. I had the characteristic side to side wobble in the cylinder (all revolvers have it, I'm talking a bit more than I like to have in a revolver).It had pachmayrs on it. $110. I kick myself for passing on it, but I'd already picked up a 7.5 inch .44 mag Redhawk, so I'd spent my gun cash for that show.

In my area, you can usually pick up a used GP100 for $50 more. I think it's worth it.

-John

BluesBear
August 7, 2006, 04:30 AM
The dealer, a local pawnshop, said that he thought it was a blued model that had been stripped down, but since there was NO evidence of corrosion, I'm pretty sure it was stainless. The previous owner could have removed every trace or blueing with Naval Jelly and if properly cared for there might not be any evidence of corrosion.

The vast majority of "Bicentennial" Ruger revolvers were blued.

If it was in fact stainless then it was a real steal.
If it was carbon steel then it's a prime candidate for a high quality reblue or other plating and as such was a real deal.

PX15
August 7, 2006, 08:40 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_5166.jpg

Oh yeah.....:D

I bought this one new back in the early 1970's. It still resides in the nightstand by the bed for instant "bump in the night" duty...

Excellent firearm.

Getcha' one.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

eagle45
August 7, 2006, 09:05 PM
I picked up a nice used Security Six many years ago. For a number of years it was on my nightstand, and carried around outside when I lived on a small farm. When my son turned 21, I gave him his choice between the Security Six and nice S&W 586, thinking he would jump on the S&W. He still laughs about it every time I ask for the Ruger back.

sgt127
August 7, 2006, 09:58 PM
I found a Police Service Six about a year ago. Ex NYPD duty gun. Dang near mint, the guy only carried a short while before he got a Glock. fitted with Pachmyers big enough for a gorilla. He sent me the unused factory grips with it. $125 and I paid the shiping. (One of those deals that only happens every few years) It has an outstanding action, and solid as a rock. Chambered for .38, I'm convinced you could shoot 100 rounds a month for the rest of your life and it would be fine. I'm alwasy looking for a Stainless Speed Six...damn, they are getting tough to find.

Serpico
August 8, 2006, 02:18 AM
I don't carry mine since my 442 fits my lifestyle better, but when there's a bump in the night...I go past my 442, my 9s and my 1911 and grab my service six...it's about as perfect a housegun as you can get...and if you ever use it, you can kill time reading the barrel until the cops show up.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/IMG_0118.jpg

Dave Markowitz
August 8, 2006, 09:06 AM
I picked up a 4" stainless Service Six a few years ago. Really nice gun, and if I find a Security Six at a good price I'll buy it, too.

Since I prefer aftermarket grips over the skinny factory grips, I won't buy a real early one, though. The contour of the backstrap is different and finding grips for the early guns is nearly impossible. PX15's nice looking piece is an early one. The top of the backstrap on the second variation is more vertical.

MCgunner
August 8, 2006, 11:59 AM
I had one I shouldn't have traded, but the gun I got for it is for sure a keeper. I really liked that Security Six, though. It was a four inch stainless, bought it new in 1978 for about $180. It was a tough, accurate, reliable firearm. I wanted a 6.5" blackhawk and the guy wanted my Security Six. I grudgingly traded it, but I really, really like that Blackhawk, so it is a danged if you do, danged if you don't situation. I'm sure everyone here has had one of those trades at one time or another if they've been into handguns very long.:banghead: I'd pick up another Security or Service Six if I found a deal on one, for sure.

Dienekes
August 9, 2006, 01:39 AM
The only replacement for a Security/Service/Speed Six is another Security/Service/Speed Six...

slick6
August 9, 2006, 02:57 AM
Well, I didn't get a good price on the latest(4-inch)stainless(Liberty Model)Security-Six, that I just bought! However, since I knew just how good these revolvers are, from this standpoint, I didn't care-because I really wanted another Security-Six!:what: :eek:

I looked at it from this perspective: These Ruger Security/Service/Speed-six revolvers are not cheap guns! They are excellent, reliable and strong guns, that happen to be priced very reasonably(But, probably not for much longer-as the news is getting out, about the greatness of these "Six series" revolvers!)! But why the low prices? Well, Bill Ruger offered these revolvers late in the game(Because both Colt and Smith and wesson had been building their double action revolvers since the late 1800's!)! Although Bill Ruger's newly designed Security-Six(Introduced in 1971)was a very unique a novel design(What with it's newfangled, modular construction-and, no tool takedown!)the world balked at this newcomer, challenging their classic Smitty's and Colt's double action revolvers! By their nature, people are very resistant to change!`They tried their best to "Kill" Ruger's new Security-Six revolver, in the market! Well, Bill Ruger had a winning design right from the very beginning! His new Security-Six, was tougher than nails, and was designed to shoot the .357 magnum cartridge on a regular basis, from day number one! Overall, these new Service type revolvers, proved to be the best of the competition-the result being that most police departments(etc.)began replacing their Smith & Wesson and Colt's service revolvers with the new Security-Sixes(Since these revolvers were standing up much better than the competition in the field!)! Despite the fact that these "Six series" revolvers have had a near perfect history of reliability-and, with over 1-1/2 millon Security-Sixes having been sold between 1972-1985, even today, people still won't accept these Ruger revolvers as being superior to their Colt's and Smith & Wesson revolvers, in many ways! Especially regarding their strength and reliability over the long haul! Therefore, as long as people continue to knock these "Six series" revolvers, the prices will remain lower than for equivalent Colt & Smith & Wesson revolvers? However, the world is begining to "Wake up" to the fact that these rugers are great guns at excellent prices(And, this is why Security/service/Speed six prices have been starting to rise lately!)!:barf: :mad:

dogngun
August 9, 2006, 08:05 AM
Slick6: That's probably the best reason of all;The prices are steadily going up, and the number of "good old ones" for sale is steadily coming down. People are realizing what a great bargain these revolvers are, and those who own them are not selling them.
Buy it now, if you haven't already.

Mark

Checkman
June 8, 2007, 08:53 PM
It's almost a year later since this thread started, but I like bringing back the dead.

If you come across any of the older style revolvers (Colt, S&W, Ruger) for a good price don't hesitate. I own two S&W M28's and I'm not getting rid of them.

It used to be the old Model 28 Highway Patrolman was as common as lint. Not anymore. Folks aren't letting go of them like they were just ten years ago.

I also own a S&W Model of 1950 Outdoorsman (Pre-Model 23) and a Colt Detective Special (3rd Generation), S&W Model 586 and a 686+, S&W Model 49 Bodyguard w/pinned barrel and a S&W Military and Police Model 1905 3rd Change.

Not one of those will be leaving my possession. I've considered trading one or two of them, but I always come to my senses (thankfully). In my neck of the woods it used to be a used Model 15 (for example) would sit in a display case for months before selling. Not anymore. Revolver buffs are getting miserly. I've got mine so get yours while you can.

def4pos8
June 8, 2007, 11:01 PM
:what: ABSOLUTELY! I DID!! It's a straightforward, quality, tough piece. It served me well. Eventually I traded it for another revolver when I developed certain "sensibilities" but I never regretted purchase of that Security-Six. :o

Baldy
June 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
I bought two that had been sitting in a fellows garage for 20yrs. They were rough on the outside but were fine on the inside. These are the easies guns to take a part and repair of any I have ever seen. I'll take any that I can get at a low price.

Jeff F
June 9, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'd jump on one. Used to have a 4 inch and wished i never got rid of it.

StrikeEagle
June 10, 2007, 01:21 AM
people still won't accept these Ruger revolvers as being superior to their Colt's and Smith & Wesson revolvers, in many ways

I love this revolver. I got one of the early ones, stainless, 4"... liked it so much I got a 6" stainless. The Security-Six is my favorite revolver, second only to the Colt SAA (which ennobles the human spirit!).

Ala Dan
June 10, 2007, 03:48 AM
I much prefer the Ruger Security-Six over their GP-100. Back in the 70's,
the Security-Six was introduced too compete against the much harder
to get S&W model 19. Little did we know, that the Security-Six would
prove to be a winner. Unfortuately, the powers to be at Ruger let this
fine handgun die and untimely death~! I have seen [and sold] Security
Six'es from a low of $225, to a high of $299; for the 4" barel models. ;)

Walkalong
June 10, 2007, 07:50 AM
Yes, great pistol. :)

wnycollector
June 10, 2007, 10:12 AM
+1 on the ruger! I'm looking for a 2.75" security six in .357 for my wife's CCW. loaded with .38 +P 158gs lead HP's...it should solve any problem she runs into!

Brian Williams
June 10, 2007, 10:57 AM
Buy it,
particularly one in 9x19 with fixed sights.

ab4ka
June 10, 2007, 08:40 PM
I'd love to find one to replace the blued, 2-3/4" barrell Security Six I used to have. I remember having to sell it for financial reasons. Sure wish I could remember who I sold it to. I bought it from a guy brand new in the box. Man, I miss that gun!

czbegenner
June 11, 2007, 03:21 PM
Guys i have a Ruger police service-six, 357 magnum 3'" barrel is this weapon
any good? Qualified with this weapon for duty great feel in my hand Triger a little heavy(but it's ok) wood grips,bought it from a pawn shop for $250.00

Shooter973
June 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
I juat bought a 2 3/4 inch Blue Sec. Six with the skinny little grips on it for $185.:D Put a pair of Pachs. on it and painted the front sight Blaze orange and it shoots like a house afire. Great purchase......:)
Some times the Gun Gods do smile on ya...:D

Quoheleth
June 11, 2007, 06:01 PM
I have never dealt with these folks in the Houston area, but I appreciate their on-line listing of used & new stuff. I see they have three Security Six's in stock: one each, 2.5" ($395), 4" ($365) & 6" ($1695).

Quoheleth

http://www.fountainfirearms.com/invlist/revolvers_list.htm

salthouse
June 11, 2007, 06:06 PM
I'm amazed this thread is still kicking. When I started it, I missed an opportunity because I scratched my belly too long thinking about it. But this story has a happy ending. A couple of months ago my father-in-law shows up with a couple of new additions to his collection including an unfired 4' Security Six, exactly what I passed on. I haven't bought it from him yet, but it has my name on it when he gets tired of it and wants to get something else. (probably less than a year)

azhunter12
June 11, 2007, 08:29 PM
Is $250 a good price for one that has just a little bit of wear on the muzzle?

czbegenner
June 11, 2007, 08:59 PM
yes thats a good price

rich642z
June 12, 2007, 11:23 AM
I got mine Security Police Six that was made back in 81 and took it to the range to test fire it and it shot ok but,the cylinder was turning slow to the next chamber so I just put some Rems 125 grain SJHPs and it shot way better and the cylinder was turning faster like it was suppose to. I was using at first 148 grain semi wadcutters that were reloads,Old ones at that. Rich642z,Omaha,Ne.

If you enjoyed reading about "If you could get a Security Six at a good price would you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!