Not cool but it works

PDA

Roadkill
August 2, 2006, 07:00 PM
I have a Colt trooper with a knob on the swing out lever that "should" stay attached. I've replaced two of them. There simply isn't enough thread to really tighten it down. Later models do not have this knob. Locktite, ect has not worked. The .357 blast just makes them disappear. I went shooting couple of weeks ago, should have taken the knob off and left it at home but didn't, got home and started claening, damn thing was gone. I took an electrical wire locking nut, used a dremel to cut it lengthwise and removed the spring inside.It is cone shaped to a point. I screwed this on the end of the lever as far as it would go without bending. I then took a .22 long rifle case and screwed it using a pair of pliers until it was threaded completely over the spring. Then I used the dremel again and carefully reduced the rim on the cartridge so it would not rub against the barrel. I shot two boxes of 180g .357s yesterday and it is still tight. Looks cool too.

rk

If you enjoyed reading about "Not cool but it works" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burrhead
August 3, 2006, 10:50 PM
"a knob on the swing out lever "

WHAT?!! :confused:

mrmeval
August 3, 2006, 11:02 PM
Pictures!

:cuss:

Jim K
August 3, 2006, 11:39 PM
Ejector rod head??

Jim

el44vaquero
August 4, 2006, 12:08 AM
:confused:

Roadkill
August 4, 2006, 06:32 AM
Ejector rod head. That's it. Here's a photo of one.http://julia.hanovercomputer.com/firearms/mar04/Catalog/images/51712.jpg

Jim K
August 4, 2006, 09:40 PM
FWIW, I used to tighten those up by clamping the ejector rod in the corner of a brass vise jaw, then using copper padded Vise Grips to really crank down on the ejector rod head.

I did it that way because I didn't want to take a chance of twisting the ejector rod or doing damage to the rather delicate cylinder cuts for the ejector rod. (The usual practice is to put some empty cartridge cases in the chambers. That will keep the ejector star from trying to turn in the cylinder, but won't absolutely prevent damaging the cylinder or twisting the rod when you really clamp down.)

Jim

U.S.SFC_RET
August 8, 2006, 07:04 AM
Next time you have a problem with a screw that will not tighen up use (red) locktight. Blue just doesen't cut the mustard. If you still have a problem with the screw backing out "you have a problem" with loose screw threads, wallowed out screw threads. As a quick fix use a bit of epoxy then screw it in place until you can order a new one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Not cool but it works" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!