NAA .32 H&R mag mini update

PDA

Bob79
August 2, 2006, 08:45 PM
Link to the progress of the new gun...

http://www.naaminis.com/sandy1.html

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA .32 H&R mag mini update" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pork Fat
August 2, 2006, 10:48 PM
When I first heard of this project last year, I thought a top-break .32 mag would be a fun shooter. I pictured something along the lines of the old S&W and H&R revolvers updated for the zippier cartridge and modern manufacturing techniques. (Or a J-frame sized Webley! Yeah!)
NAA was obviously thinking in a more practical and (oh poo) commercial way. Going for a slice of the CCW market, they have compressed the form of the revolver into the minimum space. The proportions are a bit... odd. The site says that there will be a few changes before production. I don't think they will help the looks much.
That being said, I applaud any gun manufacturer that sets out to do something so new. In a time of "Now we make 1911's and cowboy guns too!" marketing, it is refreshing to see someone tackle a niche with such obvious faith and enthusiasm. I hope the NAA .32 does real well, even if it is not quite beautiful.

mnrivrat
August 3, 2006, 02:17 AM
There is something to be said about producing a product with eye appeal. :eek:

For some reason I can't wrap my "good vibrations" around that near 90 degree grip angle , fugly hammer ,and something about the trigger guard shape as well is not appealing . Mentioned is the the trigger guard and hammer profile being different in the production gun - hope they can find a better looking grip/grip angle as well.

Jim March
August 3, 2006, 03:20 AM
The text clearly says that the hammer profile and trigger guard shape are still being sorted out. But that's minor.

Guys, this thing may be pretty weird but I can see some solid engineering reasons for locating the pivot pin out near the end of the barrel.

Forget the looks, arright? This thing is going to do a LOT of good things: the gun itself is great, plus it could lead to a resurgence in the 32Mag which in my book is a good thing. A good 85gr JHP doing better than 1,000fps is both possible and would be near the high end of 38snubbie performance.

The existence and potential popularity of this gun (BIG potential) will help all 32Mag owners. Cor-Bon may finally continue their 32Mag project, or somebody like BuffBore will take up the slack. Ruger may even get back into the 32Mag biz.

The round makes a lot of sense, as does this gun.

mnrivrat
August 3, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Jim

I am a fan of the .32 mag and carry a Taurus 731 . I agree with you whole heartedly that it is a cartridge that should be growing rather than struggling.

I also like the engineering on the NAA but realize that there is a need to get the profile & looks right. Form has a habit of winning out over function in the market. They seem to have realized that the trigger guard and hammer need attention and boy do I ever agree with that ! I also think the grip needs attention. Personaly I would like to see what this would look like with a rounded hammer spur , a more squared off trigger guard profile, and a bit more rake on the grip angle. Nothing that would make it function better I realize, but waiting to see the final production profile and hoping it ain't butt ugly for their sake as well as mine perhaps.

TC-TX
August 3, 2006, 02:48 PM
I think you are right Jim...

I can't wait to see the improvements to the final production piece...

I love the .32HRM and I, too shoot the 731...

I recommend it to sensitive students without any ballistics doubt.

Can't Wait!

TC-TX
August 3, 2006, 03:11 PM
I have included links to ballistics charts for comparison:

AMMUNITION BALLISTICS FOR: .32 H&R Magnum (http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/32_h_r_magnum.html)

AMMUNITION BALLISTICS FOR: .38 Special (http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/38_special.html)

Crosshair
August 3, 2006, 05:05 PM
I have always wanted one of their 22 revolvers, only problem was that they are far too hard to reload IMHO. This looks to be easier to reload as well as packing a heavier caliber. The design seems very inovative as well. I would be nice if they had replaceable sights. With that caliber you are gona need to be able to put shots COM. Though for testing I guess that isn't as important. Looks like a good gun.

You arn't totaly SOL if you have to do a reload in a fight as you would be with one of their 22 guns.:p

Gas Operated
August 3, 2006, 05:36 PM
Guys, this thing may be pretty weird but I can see some solid engineering reasons for locating the pivot pin out near the end of the barrel.

What would they be?
It seems to me that it would allow more force to be put on the pivot, if any twisting or side to side force were exerted with the gun open.

BluesBear
August 4, 2006, 07:52 AM
I was hoping it would be a larger version of their Mini-revolver. Sort of like a S&W Model 1 or a Marlin.

I am very disappointed.

But I wish them well
The .32 H&R Magnum needs some fresh blood.
I hope they sell a ton of the fugly things.
To everyone but me.

Crosshair
August 5, 2006, 02:55 AM
Gas Operated

I think what Jim March was thinking of is that by locating the pivot point at the end of the barrel takes alot of stress off the pin and the latch mechanisim compared to a "regular" break action. Instead of the stress being on the pin and latch, it will mostly be on the solid steel parts of the gun while the pin and latch recieve minimal stress from firing. Any twisting when the action is open is nothing compared to the stresses from firing the gun. This design takes alot of stress away from the weakest points of a break open gun.

carpettbaggerr
August 5, 2006, 03:49 AM
If it's double action, it'd be worth a look. Should make it hammerless, though. A miniature lemon squeezer. :)

But I really wish Casul would get going on their .32. A scaled up CA2000 would be just the ticket.

rtl
August 5, 2006, 12:47 PM
Agreed a bobbed hammer, DAO would be a welcomed option.

Jim March
August 5, 2006, 04:33 PM
Crosshair has it right.

In the traditional hinge-pin location the forces of firing are trying to twist the barrel around the pin. As bad or worse, the pin was significantly lower than the barrel-line making this "sudden twisting force" worse. That would put more stress on the latch at the rear sight area and the hinge-pin.

NAA's new location for the hinge pin seems to do several good things:

* The hinge is very close to the barrel - less than 1/4" or so.

* The hinge is at it's furthest possible point from the rear latch.

I'm no mechanical engineer but my off-the-cuff read is that this is a significant breakthough in breaktops. Stresses at both hinge-pin and latch should be significantly reduced over the traditional solution.

Other good things:

* By making the ejector star manually operated, simplicity of design is improved.

* I actually like this grip angle for sighted fire.

* NAA metallurgy is typically very good, on par with Freedom Arms.

-----------

Interesting thought:

If a version was made that was 7.5" overall length measured parallel to the barrel, it would be California legal with no drop-testing needed. That would mean...about a 4.5" barrel, roughly. I think such a "California Special" would be neat :). But, they could also just drop-test it...which they've been doing with some of their other guns, including some of the mini-revolvers.

sgt127
August 6, 2006, 01:12 AM
I'm guessing DA is out of the question, the frame would run out of size for that. Thinner grips. Lose the vent rib, use some titanium or aluminum and, throw it in a cement mixer full of steel shot for an hour or two and knock off all the corners.

MachIVshooter
August 6, 2006, 01:57 AM
Fix the hammer, loose the taper toward the bottom of the grips and make the underlug flow with the frame and it would look a lot better.

sgt127
August 6, 2006, 03:21 AM
Is it just me or does that look like it would be a terribly fragile design when unlocked? When closed, I can see that the cylinder would have three points of support, very cool, but, it sure looks like things could go awry very quickly if it got bumped or dropped when reloading.

carebear
August 6, 2006, 05:49 PM
Manually operated ejector star? I assume you have to grab the cylinder and slide it forward to eject?

I wonder if the latch itself, being down on the centerline rather than above the bore and involving more mating of steel, could be adapted to a larger caliber with more strength than the old top breaks latching up on the frame.

It almost looks like a break-action shotgun lock up.

That one innovation, if it is inherently more strong than the older style latching, could lead to a modern, full pressure caliber break top. With a larger frame you could have a DA with auto eject. That'd be a thing to see, a full house .357 or .44 break top.

MICHAEL T
August 7, 2006, 01:35 AM
Well Caliber is OK But gun is ugly its a SA and the Grip is terrible Oh from early reports weights more than a J frame. I have a good tight I.J. Owl Head in 38S&W I'll carry it, before I would buy that. Better yet my 380 KT.

Third_Rail
August 7, 2006, 02:06 AM
I want one! :D

I don't think it's ugly, but whatever....

MatthewVanitas
August 7, 2006, 02:36 AM
Before they started announcing details (like SA only, etc), I was really hoping for an almost exact copy, but better materials and QC, of the little lemon squeezer DAs that S&W and I&J used to make.

Isn't a .38 S&W similar in size to a 9mm Luger cartridge? With better materials, could you shoehorn a 9mm into a modernized lemon squeezer?

Kudos to NAA for creativity, but I'm not quite convinced that this is a revolutionary step yet.

-MV

gazpacho
August 7, 2006, 02:50 AM
The design doesn't look amenable to speed reloads.

BluesBear
August 7, 2006, 05:24 AM
Neither do the NAA Mini Revolvers.

They're not supposed to.
The whole concept it the smallest most concealable revolver for the cartridge.
It's for deep concealment or a last ditch backup for your backup.

Speedloading is not a requirement.

Although once you eject the empties on this .32 (which appears like it could be simultanious) it looks like a speedloader of the proper dimensions would possibly work fine.

Lonestar
August 7, 2006, 02:23 PM
I wonder if the cylinder is detachable. It would be smart if they could make a both a .32acp and a .32 H&R mag version.

Crosshair
August 8, 2006, 08:15 PM
Good point Lonestar. 32 Auto is more widely available. One could use 32 Auto for practice and use the harder to find 32 ammo for defence.

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA .32 H&R mag mini update" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!