Remington 58 Upgrade

PDA

Low Key
August 3, 2006, 06:52 AM
I sent my Pietta made 1858 Remington replica to Jule for some upgrades. The revolver originally was a blued gun with a 5.5 inch barrel and the standard fixed sights, but I stripped the blue off and polished the metal to a nice shine and I wanted to add a stainless cylinder which was bored deeper to accept a larger powder charge. I sent the gun off to Jule last month and waited for it's return. I recieved my revolver back in the mail on Friday and I got the chance to shoot it on Saturday.

The barrel work, hammer, and sights look excellent. Jule fixed me up with a stainless steel cylinder with chambers bored deeper and which will accept about 48gr of pyrodex p when filled to the chamber mouths. He matched the chamber (both the original and stainless cylinders) and bore diameters at .452 inch, re-throated the barrel and re-crowned the muzzle.

He also took the standard v-notch rear sight and turned it into a nice wide square notch which allows me to more quickly aquire the front sight, (which he also modified for me by taking the typical rounded pietta front post and cutting it back at a 45 degree angle and serrated the back edge).

The side of the hammer has been smoothed to remove some tool marks left over from manufacture, and some burrs removed from the internals. The gun cocks and functions perfectly smooth now.

The weapon shoots a bit low, (about 1.5in below POA) but thats good, it was shooting low before I sent it in and I was in the process of slowly filing the front sight to bring the point of impact up to my point of aim. Windage is good "as is" so I will not need to make any changes there, and shooting offhand at 20 yards I achieved 2 and 3 inch groups.

The gun functions perfectly with the full 45 grain charge of pyrodex p and grouped about 3 in at 20 yards off hand, ( no benchrest), and I think it is capable of 1 inch groups from a benchrest...will test this soon and post results.

I fired 24 shots in all on saturday... Remington #10 caps, dry fiber wad, and my own homemade "lube pills", .457 round ball, first with 45 grains of pyrodex p (12 shots) then 40 grains (6 shots), then 35 grains (6 shots). Group size was approximately the same for all loads. Recoil is about the same or a little more than my 4in barrel 45 auto and the round ball smacks the target with a good solid "thwack!!"

Overall...excellent work! I'm glad I sent it in to have it improved and Jule gave me more than I expected, and he will be seeing more business from me in the future as funds allow. Pictures of the end results on the gun will follow shortly...probably this weekend, it's the only time I'll have to fool with the camera.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 58 Upgrade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Manyirons
August 3, 2006, 09:16 AM
Tha BOSS says THANKS!!!!! Appreciates tha feedback always says ta give tha customer more than they're expectin!

hillbilly
August 3, 2006, 09:53 AM
I've got an 1858 clone.

How much did all those upgrades cost?

hillbilly

mec
August 3, 2006, 11:36 AM
I bet you are getting some hellacious velocities from those loads.

Wwalstrom
August 3, 2006, 11:59 AM
How much did it cost?!?!?!

Can't wait for the pictures?!?!?!

Manyirons
August 3, 2006, 12:03 PM
Was under 75 bucks includin tha replacement cylinder.

Manyirons
August 3, 2006, 12:05 PM
MEC!

Yup, theys loads better fer velocity, but ya aint seen tha LONG cylinder conversion yet, it gives ya over 65 grains so ya got Walker++ on a Remmie frame!

Low Key
August 3, 2006, 12:35 PM
:D Yes, price was under $75. Pictures coming as soon as I can so you all can see the quality of work. I don't have a chrono so I don't know the velocities but I can tell you that 45gr of pyrodex p makes a nice BIG boom, good kick, and the ball smacks the target really hard!!:D

Low Key
August 3, 2006, 08:03 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/sightpic.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/serations.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/shorty.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/rearsight.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/frontsight.jpg

Low Key
August 3, 2006, 08:07 PM
A few more...

45gr pyrodex p, fiber wad, .457 ball
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/loadedup.jpg

smooth hammer side...
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/hammer.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/frontsight.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/downthebarrel.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/LowKey58/Crown.jpg

mec
August 3, 2006, 08:20 PM
Great pictures and great gun!

hillbilly
August 3, 2006, 09:08 PM
Okay, Manyirons, tell us about this "long cylinder" conversion that makes it possible to put Walker loads in an 1858.

Got one of them that will fit an Uberti 1858????????

I like my original case-colored frame, but the cylinder could be blued.

How much for the "long cylinder" conversion?

hillbilly

Manyirons
August 3, 2006, 10:12 PM
Tha LONG cylinders a place fer those wantin more power but not havin er wantin tha full house .50 cal conversion.

Frames modified an a new cylinders thats a bit over 1/2 inch longers made and bushin an all that. I THINKS its aroun 375.00 fer it, i'd haveta ask tha BOSS.

Aint jus borin out tha chambers, fer 65 grains ya gotta have more cylinder.

hillbilly
August 3, 2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks, ManyIrons.

For $375, I think I'd just get a Walker reproduction to go along with the 1858.

Now then, this .50 cal conversion does sound interesting. Got a web site?

hillbilly

Low Key
August 4, 2006, 06:49 AM
Ooooo! Oooooo!!!!!!!!
Great pictures and great gun!

That's what I said when I opened the box when it came back from Bigiron!! It was like Christmas in July! :D

I'll be posting some target tests sometime within the next week or so...benchrest, 25 yrds, from max loads down to 35gr...:) I've got to make some range time when it's not 95 degrees outside.

Low Key
August 4, 2006, 06:54 AM
Now then, this .50 cal conversion does sound interesting. Got a web site?
This is the main website, you can get direct contact info there. Jule is a great guy and very knowledgeable. A phone call to him will net you all the info you need.

http://www.bigironbarrels.com/

Manyirons
August 4, 2006, 08:46 AM
Yup, ya CAN getta walker BUT ya also gots open frame and yer carryin five pounds a iron.

Ideas ta outwalker a walker an have somethin more accurate AN ya can carry all day. I knows! Better sight, faster hammer throw an all that jazz.

Now ifin ya WANTS a Walkie or a Dragoon size gun ya gets tha .58 caliber solid frame job tha BOSS does. 440 grains a solid er hollow pointed smasher at 1200 feet per sec. Thas 1400 pounds a energy! Or like carryin a five shot slug gun on yer hip.

Manyirons
August 4, 2006, 08:57 AM
LOW KEY!

BOSS says hang on a bit an he'll send ya a selection of the new BIGIRON wads. even tha 1/8 inch has 14 TIMES tha lube those LIMP an SOFT wads gots. Theys in 1/8 and 3/16 thick and REAL STIFF. Gots lubed veggie fiber wads HE'LL send too.

Theys SO much betterin them BLUNDER WADS, an we's havin some fun over tha diff. Might even do an ad! GET BIGIRON OR BE LIMP! :)

Low Key
August 4, 2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe do a T-shirt logo:

I got BIGIRON
to customize my BP revolver

:p

Manyirons
August 4, 2006, 10:23 AM
LOL!!! :)

GIRLS LOVE BIGIRON!!
products

Yup! we're havin WAAAAAY too much fun with this one! Good ta hava laugh, tha BOSS has been workin hisself ta death, i dont get ta do so much cause i aint tha talent but i's got 70 hours ta his 100.

Thanks fer tha T-shirt idea! I might get some ordered up fer tha forum members.

dwave
August 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
Man that is cool, I think when I get a S/S 1858 I am going to have it moded too. Nice work on the pistol.

Manyirons
August 4, 2006, 11:38 AM
Thing about tha BOSS is he LOVES his work, and he REALLY likes that extra touch he gives everone asa surprise.

sundance44s
August 4, 2006, 11:52 AM
Put a sign on the gate BEWARE OWNER HAS BIG IRON !
might work better than BEWARE BIG DOG !

Manyirons
August 4, 2006, 12:19 PM
Well tha MIGHT work, or it MIGHT be seen as braggin! :)

Speakin of, tha BOSS jus took a pic of tha diff between tha BIGIRON wads and tha LIMP wads.

Ferret
August 4, 2006, 11:31 PM
Hey... would you guys (*well... would HE*) have a problem with me designing a few t shirts for ya?

Manyirons
August 4, 2006, 11:46 PM
Ferret man, knock yerself out! HE DO gots a sense of humor!

hillbilly
August 5, 2006, 12:23 AM
Manyirons, I read your post at least four times before I figured out what you were saying.

It was because I just couldn't wrap my brain around the awful thing you were writing.

You are saying that BigIrons makes a Walker-sized revolver that's in .58 caliber?????????

I've got a repro of an 1853 Enfield rifled musket in .58.

And you guys make a freakin' revolver in .58?

You must post pictures of this beast.

And I'm afraid to ask how much one would run me, but I gotta know.

hillbilly

Manyirons
August 5, 2006, 12:28 AM
Hi Hillbilly!

Aint thata kick! I'm REALLY a hillbilly! My BOSS is workin on one now, converts tha thing to a solid frame gun, an she IS a beast!

With tha cost ofa walker or Dragoon, BASE cost is 1300 bucks. Theys options but ya get BUNCHES in tha stock gun.

Manyirons
August 5, 2006, 12:29 AM
Theys a thread aroun here where he's startin on tha cylinder fer it!

mike101
August 5, 2006, 05:17 AM
Hi Thom- I would like to see some pictures of these monsters myself. :what: Might be inspired to start saving my pennies. I would also like to see a picture of .50 conversion on a Ruger. Say Hi to the Boss!

Manyirons
August 5, 2006, 06:04 AM
He's workin ona .58 as he goes long, jus so many hours a day! I'll ask his mrs ifin they got somea tha .50s in tha puter files, aint about ta ask him fer tha one on his belt!

hillbilly
August 5, 2006, 01:48 PM
ManyIrons, I'm born and raised in the Ozark and Ouchita Mountains of western Arkansas.

So I ain't kiddin' when I call myself a hillbilly.

In fact, I live in the Ozarks right now, a mile and half down a dirt road. Used to be three miles, but a county judge needed some more votes, so he paved half of it.

hillbilly

Manyirons
August 5, 2006, 06:31 PM
Boy howdy! Hillbilly, lookin like we BOTH coulda been in DELIVERENCE! :) My family an me's Appalachian back ta ferever!

mec
August 5, 2006, 06:42 PM
Last couple of years I've spent some times in the Ozarks north of Clarksville. saw a lot of people that said they was hillbillies but nobody who looked like that de-generate banjo player in Deliverance. In fact, the only thing I've ever seen that looked like him was Spuds McKinsey and that varmint that hung around with George Patton.

We had a gathering in a holler /private shooting range backed up on the National Forrest. shot everything from flintlock muskets to thompsons to a .50 BMG rifle. Also had some Tanerite explosive targets that won the loud contest. About half way through the High Sheriff sent out a couple of deputies who advised that some liberals had moved in on top of the hill and were claiming bullets raining down. They looked at the set up and seeing that the bullets would have had to describe a m0rtar-like trajectory over the top of the holler as well as making some magic bullet-like acute turns to hit the leftist domicile, determined that the liberals were speaking with forked tongues. They said they hang around the left wing premises just to make sure but there was not really any problem.

Manyirons
August 5, 2006, 07:04 PM
Lyin liberals? Why whoever hearda sucha thing? :)

I'm from WAY back in tha sticks ridgerunner, gotta laig shorterin tha other so's i walks right on tha ridges! :)

Plink
August 7, 2006, 07:43 PM
I know this is off topic, but... I spent some time 4 wheeling the backroads in Arkansas some years back. Some of the nicest people I've ever met to this day were the "hillbillies" who lived back there. They certainly weren't the dumb bumpkins that the stereotype tries to make us believe. They were an intelligent, friendly bunch who invited me in on numerous occasions.

If I could figure out how to make a living there, I'd move there in a heartbeat. My brother did!

The Sicilian
August 19, 2006, 05:37 PM
Yup, and Indians ain't savages either, what the hell did ya expect!!! I told you guys the television was evil! :cuss:

Just joking brother. :D

Manyirons
August 19, 2006, 05:57 PM
Whadda ya mean there?!?!?! I seen em ridin aroun those wagons! :)

carpettbaggerr
August 23, 2006, 04:51 AM
But if you stripped the blueing, did you add any finish on the frame? What protects it from rusting?

Manyirons
August 23, 2006, 08:00 AM
Cleanin! an oil :)

Low Key
August 23, 2006, 08:32 AM
Exactly, polished the metal nicely and keep everything clean and lubricated. I use a mixture of (mostly) lard and a little beeswax...doesn't evaporate. :) I'm picky about keeping my guns clean anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 58 Upgrade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!