Anybody ever been shot...ricochet count.

PDA

notbubba
May 6, 2003, 12:08 AM
A ricochet that bounced off my leg and startled the heck out of me :what: is it for me.

If the Good Lord keeps looking out for me that will be it.

What about you?
Serious?
Funny?
or just
Stupid.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody ever been shot...ricochet count." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sisco
May 6, 2003, 12:12 AM
41 mag, shooting steel plates at 25 yds. I was wearing shorts, hit me in the thigh, drew blood and left a bruise the size of a silver dollar.
Same place different time, 357 mag. My pickup was parked behind me, heard something hit it, found a hole about .357" diameter in my taillight lens.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 6, 2003, 12:13 AM
I've caught fragments off of target carriers at indoor ranges, but never a whole round.

Safety glasses arn't just for the cool kids.

Andrew Wyatt
May 6, 2003, 01:07 AM
I've caught target fragments of every size and description whilst working as a target setter the the swat magazine 3 gun match.

if you don't wear a brimmed hat, they can sneak in over your glasses.

i usually wear a boonie hat and a long sleeved shirt, so as not to have to worry about getting cut, in addition to my safety glasses.

TechBrute
May 6, 2003, 01:12 AM
So many over the years, I stopped counting. If it doesn't draw blood, I don't even pay attention anymore. Actually, I don't pay attention until someone tells me I have blood running down my <insert random uncovered flesh area here.>

Gordy Wesen
May 6, 2003, 01:13 AM
I went backpacking with my wife in Montana and at our 'base' camp I pulled my S&W 41 mag to check its zero. I did, it ws fine and I pulled a few rounds off at rocks about 20 yards off. A sizeable chunk of jacketed lead came back stricking me right between the eyes and sticking there. It came free with a bit of a pull and I never shot at rocks again.:)

WhoKnowsWho
May 6, 2003, 01:16 AM
First time I went out with friends, pegged in the leg with buckshot richochets from a backstop of dirt over 40 yards away.

And my dumb self yesterday, left my fingers on either side of the forcing cone when I was shooting my .22 revolver, I can look at the small pieces of lead in my two fingers now!

Kamicosmos
May 6, 2003, 01:17 AM
Been smacked lots of times with light load .45s off bowling pins. People would laugh at me a bit for 'hiding' behind the shooter when I was running the timer. Till they started getting hit too, that is.

People will snicker at me wearing safety glasses over my normal glasses too, till I point out that if a .45 will come back, what else could? Not to mention, a few of my guns like to spit power residue straight back in my face. The double layer of protection is nice.

Whenever I go to an indoor range, I always were jeans and a long sleeve sweatshirt, and usually a ball cap turned backwards to keep the shells from going down the back of my shirt.

loudernhel
May 6, 2003, 01:36 AM
This may be hard to believe but I assure you it is a "no pooper." Years ago I was shooting my buddies tricked out .38 super that had about a 1lb trigger pull on it. I pulled a fast mag change and hit the slide release with my finger still on the trigger. This is a bad habit I had gotten away with until then. When the slide went home, the gun went off.

I had it pointed at a home made target stand constructed out of angle iron. My friend "Critter" and his dad had gotten a little confused about how all the angles should go. I was shooting a lead round nose bullet. It hit the stand, ricocheted back and hit the recoil spring plug on the muzzle of the gun. A large lead fragment hit me spang in the forehead.

We had to use a hammer on the barrel bushing wrench to get the gun apart. To this day I make sure my finger is off the trigger when dropping the slide on any gun.

The next time we shot that gun, he had gotten confused about his once fired brass and his many times fired brass. That is a bad thing when you are trying to make major with a .38 super. Can you say case failure? I picked some brass out of my face that time but was spared major damage buy the pachmeyer grips he just had installed to replace the factory wood ones. I was wearing shorts and the magazine blew out of the bottom of the gun hard enough to leave a mark.

I never shot that gun again.

Regards,
David

Mike Irwin
May 6, 2003, 01:48 AM
Yes, pellet rifle, penetrated about 1.5" into my thigh.

Hurt like crazy, but I did get the satisfaction of beating the living crap out of the kid who shot me.

Double Naught Spy
May 6, 2003, 01:54 AM
While I have been hit by splatter on steel targets, the injuries seemed minor compared to what some have posted.

Of the stories dealing with splatter, ricochets, and such, one of my favorite stories is about a self inflicted ricochet. This story was posted by tstr at ...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7782&highlight=tree+derringer

So I bought this nifty little Derringer that shoots .45 Colt or .410 shotshells thinking it would be a fun little gun. Out of four shotshells I tried, it only managed to make one of them go off. There wasn’t enough impact on the primer. So I try a .45 Colt round. I’m shooting into a stump with a target taped to it. The bleeping bullet bounced off the stump and hit me in the forehead. I bled all over the place.

boing
May 6, 2003, 03:54 AM
Some errant pellets on the trap range, coming over the barrier from the skeet range at the other end of the complex. Felt like someone was standing next to me, dropping single pieces of shot on my head.

I think they've fixed that now. :scrutiny:

sm
May 6, 2003, 04:06 AM
Yes
richochets from targets, bad gun safety from others, rocks from a hunter whom thought I was a critter( I'm exiting my vehicle on a county road), assorted pellets from clay games, hunting, and the idiot whom shot me whilst I'm retreivng downed ducks...10 ga...ouch.

H Romberg
May 6, 2003, 08:47 AM
Not exactly a ricochet, but my .380 launches about one out of 10 pieces of brass straight into my forehead at what seems to be significant velocity. Hurts like hell. The rest go up and right.

Thumper
May 6, 2003, 09:21 AM
Yes...a few times...once foreheadcentermass.

THWACK!

KPersimmon
May 6, 2003, 09:57 AM
Well, I didn't exactly shoot myself, but...
About twelve years ago, I was practice-shooting a Browning Hi-Power with my wife watching behind me. After shooting for a short while, one of the 115-grain 9mm ball-type bullets bounced back and hit my wife directly on the shin. She thought a rock had hit her, until I looked down and saw the intact bullet on the ground in front of her. Apparently the bullet had whizzed right between or right by my leg and hit her. Fortunatelhy, she had nothing more than a nickel-sized bruise which was sore for a couple of days, but it was a pretty scary incident that made me feel very guilty for a long time.

Dorrin79
May 6, 2003, 10:18 AM
not a ricochet- but pretty frickin weird

New Years' Eve 1997

Downtown Houston (Jones Park, in the theater district to be specific)

"Buzz-fest" concert-party thrown by local radio station.

A friend scored 4 tickets and so he, I, and two others attended.

At about 11:50 we found seats on a railing in the park proper and were watching for fireworks when

*WHAP*

I fell right off the railing onto the ramp. It felt like someone had come up behind me and hit me with a 2x4 on the left shoulder.

My friends started to laugh at me, then realized I was in some distress.

I was looking around for the *%*#! who hit me, but I didn't see anyone with a bat or club. My left arm had gone completely numb from clavicle to fingertips.

After a few seconds I was helped to my feet and I went to reclaim my rail seat when I realized that my arm was still numb.

I put my other hand on the shoulder to rub it and try to restore some circulation. This hurt, a lot! I jerked my hand back and had blood (not a lot) on my fingertips.

I cocked my head over to look at my shoulder and noticed a small hole in my jacket. So I pulled the jacket back to find a similar hole in my shirt, with blood oozing into the fabric around it.

To my credit, I didn't freak out. I turned to my friend whose car we had used to get to the concert and said "Dude, I'm bleeding"

To make a long story short - I proceeded to walk 2 miles back to where we had parked, then had him drive me to the hospital.

At the hospital, they removed a bullet that had lodged against the left side of my clavicle. It had not even fully penetrated the skin (the rear of the bullet was protruding from the wound). They disenfected it and sutured (sp) it closed. Didn't even need stiches, although I had this weird "dent" (for lack of a better term) in my shoulder for 3 or 4 months.

The bullet was a 9mm, according to the ER resident who plucked it out. He said it had hit me on a ballistic arc, from some yahoo firing into the air a mile away. Apparently the Houston ERs see a lot of these cases every Jan 1st!!

Lesson learned?

-Getting shot hurts like hell.

-Stay indoors during times of the year when morons are likely to shoot guns in the air.

-there are some things you really can't prepare for, or avoid.

ialevy
May 6, 2003, 10:27 AM
At an NRA Women's event at my range, alot of first timers were blasting the carriers with .22s. I was reloading my mag when an intact .22 bounced off of the carrier set at 5 yards and hit the second knuckle on my third finger. scared the heck out of me. the smashed bullet was lying on the table next to the mag I just dropped, and my knuckle was swollen and bleeding profusely.

I also had light loaded .45 bounce off of the backstop an hit me in the leg - no injury, just makes you jump.

At a recent steel shoot everyone was getting pelted by lead from the skeet range next to us.

Mauserlady
May 6, 2003, 11:13 AM
Yep... New Years Day shoot two years ago... Still have a cresent moon scar on my finger...

David was shooting his .44 at a 1" thick piece of steel (not sure how far away it was) and I felt something hit my finger... Shook my hand but didn't think anything of it until it started to get really warm... Took off my glove and OMG.. I am a bleeder apparantly...

SDC
May 6, 2003, 11:26 AM
I've been shot with airguns, and once took at .45 ricochet at a bowling-pin match that left an egg-sized bruise on my abdomen. I've also taken the occasional piece of splatter when working as an RO at IPSC matches. All reminders to wear your safety glasses ALL THE TIME.

dev_null
May 6, 2003, 12:23 PM
Happens at SASS matches from time to time, especially with gamer loads that appear to consist of little more than a primer and a lightweight bullet (well, that's how it seems, anyway). Anytime a .38 is no louder than a .22 you're liable to have problems. Some of the bullets I've seen weren't deformed at all, and we're talking about RNL c'boy rounds, not jacketed. But target placement has a large effect as well, which is why it's good to make them at a slight downward angle.

-0-

grampster
May 6, 2003, 12:27 PM
Rabbit huntin' with father in law, Earl. Caught a ricochet pellet from Earl's 16 ga. from off a deadfall out in front of us during his popping of Peter Cottontail. Hit my middle finger. Man, that stings.

When I was a young police cadet (age 18, 1962 or 3) one of the old detectives, on a slow Saturday AM motioned me over to his desk, one of those big old steel jobbies. I was standing next to the desk and he pulled an old semi automatic out of his drawer and proceeded to tell me that this was one of the pistols used by one of the Puerto Rican terrorists who shot up the House of Representatives in the 50's and that it had jambed and had failed to fire or the MIchigan rep would have been killed. (The incident actually happend but you never know whether the story was true about that being one of the guns used in the attack or not.....Police officers are notorious story tellers and the truth sometimes gets a bit lost in the process of a good tale. Reminds me of the time that.......Well, wait a minute....back to my original story....)
Yep, you guessed it, while he fiddled with it, it discharged. The bullet hit the inside of the desk, ricocheted onto the floor, then it bounced across the room and hit one of the big oak windows in the Detective Bureau and then bounced back and hit me in the thigh. Left a little bruise.
My keeping my young mouth shut though certainly benefitted me in many ways from those old dicks that were around that day and witnessed the incident and my silence about it. I still have that slug around someplace.

grampster

Teufelhunden
May 6, 2003, 01:38 PM
I got hit pulling targets at rifle qual one year. The Marine Corps still has Marines downrange behind a berm pulling targets for the shooters--none of this fancy-schmancy electronic target Army stuff:p

Anyway, the top of the berm at Quantico is covered with a concrete slab. Either an entire round wrapped around the edge, or its jacket was torn off and wrapped around the edge, but I got hit right on my jawline on the right side of my face hard enough to turn my head and leave a three inch scrape with a cut right down the middle. Unpleasant at best. Worse yet was the fact that I was shooting an afternoon relay, and this damned cut was doing its best to interfere with my stock weld...

-Teuf

foghornl
May 6, 2003, 03:45 PM
A Shooting Buddy had a worn-out cheapy .38Spl snubby that featured 1 specialty....2 of the 6 positions in the cylinder were so badly out of time that those 2 sent about as much lead sideways as down range. Peeled crescent-shape lead chunks outta my face twice.....[Sometimes, I can be a little slow on the uptake....

ball3006
May 6, 2003, 03:46 PM
BB gun wars when I was a kid. Took a piece of brass in my arm from a homemade cannon. It is still in there......chris3

mons meg
May 6, 2003, 05:45 PM
This may be stretching it a bit, but here goes:

Back in January of 1988 I was in Marine Corps Basic on the rifle range at Camp Pendleton. I was in the butts pulling targets when the shooter in my lane shot just low enough to clip the concrete barrier just above me, and the 5.56 ball round tumbled down onto my head. It was too hot to touch... :D

RandyB
May 6, 2003, 07:07 PM
.45 round ball from a muzzleloader, bounced back from something and caught my shin. Didn't even bruise me.

My old man caught a .54 roundball (it was completely flattened and had tree bark imbedded) that had been shot on a range that was up hill and about 100 yards away (one shooter was finishing his relay) it had went down the ridge app. 80 vertical feet and made a complete U turn hitting my dad in the back. He thought a buddy hit him with an acorn. When he picked up the lead it was still hot and burned his fingers.

Got it playing paintball with a hot gun. We chron. the paintgun. It was shooting almost 500 FPS! (max was 280 at the place). I was hit in the side (teammate shot me ;-( ) in the knee, the buttocks, and in the paintgun. It broke the plastic bulk loader, drew blood (very noticable) and hit hard enough to put me down on the ground.:cuss:

Kentucky Rifle
May 6, 2003, 07:50 PM
Yes.

KR

Hkmp5sd
May 6, 2003, 08:33 PM
My MP5 and M11/9 subguns on full auto using FMJ 9mm at an indoor range. Hits on the steel clip that holds targets sends those rounds right back at you.

blades67
May 6, 2003, 08:34 PM
I was shot in 1983. The bullet struck just above my right knee, missed all the blood vessels and nerves but went through my femur and fractured it. Put me in the hospital for a week, a full length cast for six weeks and physical therapy for four months after that. It was more than a year before my knee had full range of motion without pain. Not something I want to go through again.

coonan357
May 6, 2003, 09:28 PM
when I Was 13 my brother and I went rabbit hunting I with the 410 my brother with the .22 the dummy walked with his finger on the trigger well I was walking in front of him when he tripped on a corn row and shot me n the back of the calf the bullet is still in my leg imbedded against the bone the doctor said it would do more damage to remove it than leaving it in there . it still freaks people out when I get x-rayed , as for my brother he was no longer allowed near firearms after that day till he went into the military ( airfarce) when he came home he wanted to go hunting till I reminded him I have been practicing ... :rolleyes: :D :scrutiny:

wun_8_seven
May 6, 2003, 10:44 PM
i was shot just above my left knee with a 25 auto. didn't even know i was shot till another officer saw blood staining on the back of my pants leg. went clean through pants , flesh and bone. so don't think a 25 wont penetrate. 187

thaddeus
May 7, 2003, 03:04 AM
Shooting steel poppers, had a friend's .40 ricochet and thunk me right between the eyes. It hit pretty hard, but no blood.

MLH
May 7, 2003, 10:59 AM
The post shot back!!!:what: Lucky I had a heavy coat on that day! Whew!:uhoh:

Azrael256
May 7, 2003, 01:24 PM
.22, fencepost, chin on the right side. Tell my dad and I'll kill you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody ever been shot...ricochet count." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!