My first wheelgun

PDA

mattk
August 3, 2006, 04:31 PM
Hey gang,
I have just purchased my very first wheelie.
Its a Smith 520 7 shot .357 magnum. OHHH Magnum
I bought it slightly used. Its already had an action job done by a local smith I know and trust(he used to be my boss).
I have one problem. I hate the girps.
I need something a little smaller.
Any suggestions?
Its really a nice gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "My first wheelgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cmidkiff
August 3, 2006, 04:49 PM
Congrats...

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/sw/smith_520_titanium.jpg

Nice gun :) Does it have the factory grips? I kinda like them, but it's a personal preference thing... if they don't fit you, find one that does. Any L frame handle will work fine. The rubber pachmayr grips work well for shooting, but I hate the look.

mattk
August 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
Yep the grips are factory. Mine are a bit lighter than the ones in the photo.
I am tempted to order the Lady Smith grips from Smith. Their purty

Troggy
August 3, 2006, 07:12 PM
If you love your gun give it a "Hogue" and a kiss!:)

Eightball
August 3, 2006, 09:25 PM
I Second the "hogue and kiss" idea. They're very comfortable on my 620, especially shooting .357.

PennsyPlinker
August 3, 2006, 09:35 PM
Congrats on the new gun! I was looking and lusting after this very same model in the used case at my local dealer (way far away from you). He was trying to entice me since he knows I have its little brother, the 386 PD. It would be nice, but I already have two .357 S&W wheelies. Maybe someday...

asknight
August 4, 2006, 12:16 AM
I'm interested in buying the factory grip if you're interested in selling it. :D

BluesBear
August 4, 2006, 06:29 AM
Any L-frame or K-frame grip will fit. There's probably more styles available for those frames than any other.

mattk
August 7, 2006, 12:26 PM
you know I just plain dislike the Houge Mono Grips. The finger groves dont line up for me at all. Maybe a Bantum grip?

Brian Williams
August 7, 2006, 02:22 PM
I have a set of Bantams on my S&W 65 and I love them. Shoot and enjoy.

JoeHatley
August 8, 2006, 11:51 AM
The finger groves dont line up for me at all.

You can order the Hogue mono grip in wood, and have them delete one or both finger grooves.

Joe

wheelgunner88
August 8, 2006, 01:19 PM
The Jerry Miculek grips for S&W revos works well for me. Very smooth finish so it doesn't hang up on cover garment, and you can get a very high grip for better recoil control.

DWARREN123
August 8, 2006, 10:51 PM
Revolvers are great!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "My first wheelgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!