What it is, is Colt-flavored TREASURE...

PDA

Hand_Rifle_Guy
August 4, 2006, 10:24 AM
...And it arrived in the best possible way. Now:

I have most recently acquired what is the first gun to add to my collection in literally YEARS. Been way too broke, for far too long.

Gotta new job I like finally, crawling outta debt. The future's looking livable again. I was actually enetertaining the idea of buying a gun, something I haven't been able to do for EVER, when I get handed this. All my books are in storage with the rest of my life, so you folks will hopefully give me a grasp of what I've got.

It's a Colt Officer's Model Match, 6" bbl., .38 Special, naturally, #929XXX.

It is sporting "10 Point" black rubber grips by "The Hershon Co. Inc" of Los Angeles, Kaliforny, and lives in a medium-brown-colored holster, a #1100k 48 belt model with a thumbstrap, by a place called "Hunter". Their logo is the word in a powder horn stamped on the nickel-plated buttons.

I think the gun's had trigger work done, unless Colt slicked it up before it left. The DA and SA pulls are nothing short of amazing.

It is in essentially brand new condition, with a very faint cylinder line and some minute holster-wear spots on the muzzle and the trigger-guard.

No scratches, no rust spots, and reason to believe it has consumed perhaps 1-2 boxes of target loads in it's whole life with one owner who'd bought it new I-don't-know-when.

My books are buried. Can you folks tell me:

When made?

Action generation?

Developement history?

Ever heard of the holster company, or the nice-feeling grips? I've never heard of either, but they're pretty nice.

It's at 100%+. What's it worth?

This is about the nicest Colt revolver I've seen in long time. I never actually thought I'd get to own one of these. This gun hefts and handles like a fine-tuned competition gun.

I haven't shot it yet, but I imagine this thing's probably one of the most accurate guns I've ever met. I need to get a couple of boxes of HB-wadcutters and see if I can shoot cloverleafs with it. I've always read about how guns like this were supposed to be capable of such, for as long as I've been collecting.

Did I tumble onto a potential legendary old-school target gun?

She said it had been her husband's, and passed it to me gratis because she knew I'd appreciate it. I knew I was a friend, but I didn't realize just how good a friend, I guess.

I stand before you flabbergasted. Stunned. I had thought that there were no good people left in my world.

What did she hand me? Help, please? :o

If you enjoyed reading about "What it is, is Colt-flavored TREASURE..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
August 4, 2006, 10:32 AM
Look for your holster here (http://www.huntercompany.com/hunter.html). Hunter is still in business.

and lives in a medium-brown-colored holster, a #1100k 48 belt model with a thumbstrap

Do yourself a favor and get a nice, breathable rug to store that sidearm in. It's generally not a good idea to store them in leather holsters. (Haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it promotes rust.)

She said it had been her husband's, and passed it to me gratis because she knew I'd appreciate it. I knew I was a friend, but I didn't realize just how good a friend, I guess.

Lucky! (reference to male descendent of a female canine left out):)

Jim Watson
August 4, 2006, 10:37 AM
Those are likely Mershon Ten-Point grips. The first rubber grip I know of, predating Pachmayr by some years.

The Hunter holster was a common inexpensive brand in the pre-nylon era.

I would not even carry a target pistol in a simple holster like that, it will rub the corners of the front sight bright which is not good for the aim.

The Officer's Model Match was made from 1953-1969; Blue Book calls it the "Fifth Issue" after three issues of Officer's Model Target and the Officer's Model Special.
Dollar value in the hundreds, not thousands. Look on the sale sites and see some prices. Gunsamerica.com auctionarms.com gunbroker.com

Jim March
August 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
A damned fine gun though.

It's built on the Python frame and action, but it's a 38. Hardly matters, it will be damned accurate if in good shape.

It's probably tuned for lead ammo in the 148-158gr range, and will likely shoot those best. It can be pressed into defensive service if needed, I would suggest Winchester or Remington 158gr lead hollowpoint +P - those two are fairly mild "+P" and moderate doses won't hurt it. If it were my gun I'd avoid the really stout Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore fodder completely - with 6" barrel you just won't need it.

Old Fuff
August 4, 2006, 11:52 AM
Your revolver was made in 1961.

The Officers Model was the target version of Colt's popular Official Police service revolvers. Production begain in 1930, and included the Officers Model, Officers Model Special, and Officers Model Match. It was the basis for what became the Python. Colt took great pains with these, because most of the top winners at the National Matches at Camp Perry used them, and Colt advertising made a big point of it. So I suspect that the action could be factory original. Yes, it will cut cloverleafs at 25 yard and more... :D

Be aware that target stocks that fit the Python will also fit the O.M.M. I would replace the rubber ones with some better wood stocks.

In terms of quality, hand fitting, etc. the closest late production gun that might equal your O.M.M. was the Python, and they sell for well over $1,000 sometimes. Your .38 doesn't command those kind of prices, but in all important ways is a substantial equal.

If you enjoyed reading about "What it is, is Colt-flavored TREASURE..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!