Spinning front sight mount on Mosin Carbine?

PDA

ArmedBear
August 4, 2006, 07:10 PM
The front sight mount on my M38 is spun to the left a good deal.

The sight itself is dovetailed into a mount, which is a split ring that's clamped onto the barrel and a pin driven through a hole to keep it clamped on.

The split is in the dovetail, so I'm going to have to remove the sight before punching out the pin and turning the mount.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good workbench or vise. I live in a condo with some space limitations.

Any suggestions as to the best way to drift out the sight, then the pin? How to align the mount so it is level with the rear sight, and keep it aligned when I tap the pin back in?

I do not own a set of punches or anything, but I'm happy to buy them. I need an excuse. I've done this kind of work before, many years ago, when I was a teenager and my dad had a respectable machine shop built in the garage. What I'm not sure about is how to do it when I don't have those resources at my disposal!:)

Thanks for any insight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spinning front sight mount on Mosin Carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Spinning front sight mount on Mosin Carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!