Old .32 S&W

PDA

Air,Land&Sea
August 4, 2006, 09:57 PM
Can anyone tell me about this old S&W revolver in .32S&W? It's been in the family for many decades and has now been entrusted to me. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old .32 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FPrice
August 4, 2006, 10:08 PM
It looks like a S&W .32 Double Action 4th Model. Probable date of manufacture is 1883 to 1909. If you post these pics on the Smith & Wesson Forum (www.smith-wessonforum.com) with the serial number you should get a much better description and history. To maintain some privacy you can post the serial number with the last 2 or 3 numbers replaced by x's, e.g., 123xxx.

Air,Land&Sea
August 4, 2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks, but for some reason my email address prohibits me from registering on the S&W forum.

Old Fuff
August 4, 2006, 10:55 PM
I think I would find another Internet Provider... :fire:

Anyway do what FPrice suggested and post the serial number (stamped on the butt) and we'll see what information might be found.

billdeserthills
August 5, 2006, 12:25 AM
I have one of these, but mine is a third Gen. Yours looks real nice in the little picture. I think I paid about $250.00 for mine. Got some ammo at the gun show. It's not much of a shooter. I also bought an oild 1905 Colt in 32-20. That Colt is tighter in lockup than any lesser gun made today, over 100 years later&shoots great.

Old Fuff
August 5, 2006, 02:13 AM
billdeserthills:

I think the 1905 might be a patent date. The model, such as "Police Positive Special," "Army Special," or "Official Police" should be marked on the side of the barrel. Find that, and then look at the side of the frame behind the cylinder after you swing it out, (most likely) or on the bottom of the butt (less likely) to find the serial number. Post those and we'll see what information might be found.

MICHAEL T
August 7, 2006, 12:41 AM
Old Fuff Look again its a S&W top break Be hard to swing cyl. out. I belive you thinking Colt.

Old Fuff
August 7, 2006, 02:33 AM
MICHAEL T:

Old Fuff Look again its a S&W top break Be hard to swing cyl. out. I belive you thinking Colt.
I fully agree that you can't swing out the cylinder on a top-break revolver - Smith & Wesson or otherwise, but billdeserthills said...

I also bought an oild 1905 Colt in 32-20. That Colt is tighter in lockup than any lesser gun made today, over 100 years later&shoots great.
Colt made hand ejectors (the kind where the cylinder swings out to the left) but no top breaks except prototypes..

So that's when I said...

I think the 1905 might be a patent date. The model, such as "Police Positive Special," "Army Special," or "Official Police" should be marked on the side of the barrel. Find that, and then look at the side of the frame behind the cylinder after you swing it out, (most likely) or on the bottom of the butt (less likely) to find the serial number. Post those and we'll see what information might be found.
Because the 1905 date referred to a Colt. I am aware of a model 1905 Colt .45 Automatic, but not a model 1905 revolver. Now I'll have to wait and see if billdeserthills responds. :)

Air,Land&Sea
August 7, 2006, 10:36 PM
The fine gentlman at S&W told me it's a .32 DA 3rd Model made in 1884. It's one of many out there. Thanks for the input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old .32 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!