Weaver or Bushnell

PDA

AustDave
August 5, 2006, 05:16 AM
I am not sure if I should buy a Bushnell 4-16x40 series 4200 scope or a Weaver 4-16x42 scope in the V series.
Has anyone got a recommendation for either? I am putting them on a Remmington 700 in .223 and want more magnification than my present
2.5-10x42. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Weaver or Bushnell" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oldnamvet
August 5, 2006, 04:48 PM
My opinion is worth just what you pay for it:scrutiny: ...........but I have always regarded the Weaver as a better quality scope than the Bushnell.

AustDave
August 7, 2006, 08:44 PM
Thank you Oldnamvet. I shall investigate down that path some more. They certainly are good lookin'.

45crittergitter
August 10, 2006, 11:56 PM
You are in luck. I own and use both of those scopes, both with AO in the 4-16x version. I really like the Weaver, but the 4200 beats it hands down for brightness and image quality. It "appears" to be better quality as well.

duck911
August 11, 2006, 12:10 AM
The 4200 elites are super nice scopes for the money.

The V-16's are quality scopes and can be found on sale making them one hell of a bargain, too. (I found a V-16 at Natchezss.com for ~$160 a couple years back...)

If they're close in price, I'd go with the Bushnell. If the Weaver is a lot cheaper, do that instead.

Either way you've got decent glass so smile and enjoy shooting your rifle!

--Duck911

AustDave
August 11, 2006, 03:57 AM
You know what?
I spent a few hours today looking around, prices, talking to gunshop folks, using the internet and The High Road and......I'm getting a Bushnell 4-16x40 4200 series. Ordered online and it's on it's way.
The next thing is a stock to replace the Remington factory synthetic. Maybe another synthetic or a walnut job made by a guy who custom makes them for roo shooters. It's good to have a hobby, but what to do next???? :D

damascusblade5
August 11, 2006, 04:43 AM
Don't be fooled into buying the Bushnell Firefly reticle,what a joke.

AustDave
August 12, 2006, 04:57 AM
No, I didn't get the Firefly reticle luckily. But that's the first I have heard mate. Are they no good?

Carphunter
August 14, 2006, 01:13 PM
Having used a B&L 4200 1.5x6 for a few years now... I've got to say these scopes match my eye relief needs, have great image, and....biggie, the rainguard works.

I intend to sell off two leupolds and a weaver in the future and replace them with Bushies.

45crittergitter
August 15, 2006, 11:56 PM
Wow, only 931 posts before someone actually took my advice.... ;)

AustDave
August 16, 2006, 04:41 AM
They just seemed to come out in front from what people were saying and it seems to fill my needs for a scope. I didn't need anything with a tactical reticle, I can mount it low and it appears to have a solid construction. I pick it up tomorrow from the post office and hope to mount it on the weekend. :D

Mark Whiteman
August 24, 2006, 08:59 AM
I have a first generation 4200, before the rain stuff. I intend to upgrade since it rains alot when I hunt, but I originally bought it because the front and rear bell edges didn't look so thin and fragile, as well as the nice image quality. I have a 2.5-10x. I hunt with it at 4x, and shoot groups and check targets at 10x. The older one I have is marked Bosch&Lomb.

If you enjoyed reading about "Weaver or Bushnell" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!