Question on S&W 625 Revolver in 45ACP

PDA

cottontoptexan
August 5, 2006, 09:44 AM
I have a few questions on the new S&W 625 45 ACP Revolver. First i am reading posts here that they have some type of locking mechanism to disable the gun kinda like a Taurus i suspect. Mine came with a cable lock which you put throgh the gun. Second do i have to use the moon clips or can i casually plink with it without them . None were furnished in the box. I will be shooting factory 45 ACP Hardball from Independence. And for the third question shoot I shoot any haed cast through it or just stay with jacketed bullets. I have both and reload for the 45 in my 1911 autos. Any comments on this gun would be appreciated. Thanks:o

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on S&W 625 Revolver in 45ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P0832177
August 5, 2006, 09:56 AM
if you bought the gun new, you should have gotten 4 half moon clips with the gun. you negate the speed reloads with single loading cases. you will want to get the full moon clips for you 625. you can always use RIMZ full moon polymer clips for range use, but for serious use the steel one are the cat's meow!

get the brownell's nut driver style case stripper!

cottontoptexan
August 5, 2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the input . I did purchase some moon clips made by S&W which hold 3 rounds each. I will use them today. No speed shooting involved here just casual plinking and maybe a backpacking pistol.

cottontoptexan
August 5, 2006, 10:17 AM
My Revolver in 45 ACP does also have a key which locks the hammer in addition to the cable lock. My aplology for not examining it closer. The owners manual states to use the moonclips to avoid ammunition malfunction i guess such as misfires or cylinger lockup. Thanks for the input.

ugaarguy
August 5, 2006, 11:10 AM
You can also get 45 Auto Rim, which is a thick rimmed version of the 45 ACP designed to be used without moonclips in revolvers made for moonclipped 45 ACP. However, it's more expensive and harder to find, so moonslips and ACP ammo are more economical, but it's an option to be aware of.

Ops Officer
August 5, 2006, 04:28 PM
A rep at the S&W custom shop told me earlier this week on the phone all three of these guns, production 625, 625JM, and the PC 625 Jerry Mikulek are made to use full moon clips. He warned of a misfire without them.

P0832177
August 6, 2006, 07:03 AM
Ops Offcer you were misinformed, as factory ammo without having the action tuned should be ignited with no problems in the 625. The problem is case extraction, you pick the cases out by hand or poke them out witha range rod! Action tuning tends to make the use of Federal 150 primers then norm, and by the way I have owned more then a few 625's since 1988. I presently have three! Get the full moon clips, and the brownells nut driver case stripper. You have the be platform for shooting the 45ACP yet! The 25-2 or the present day equivalent is one fine gun! The N Frame soaks the recoil up! It is great gun for the range, and if need be for self defense! Enjoy!

cottontoptexan
August 6, 2006, 07:15 AM
Thankyou to the folks who wrote comments on the 625 S&W 45 ACP Revolver.On Saturday August 5 (yesterday) I made it to the outdoor shooting range. I zeroed the gun in at 15 yards and had no problem with a good rest keeping the rounds inside of a 2 inch circle. Just to play and have fun i backed the target out to 50 yards. I was using a pistol rest and Independence 45 ACP 230 hardball. Moonclips were used which held 3 rounds each.My groups at 50 yards even with imperfect eyes were around 6 inches or so. I felt this was good for a new gun with run of the mill ammo. I would have to comment that this is one of the most pleasant guns to shoot. The grips absorb recoil nicely and it is fitted with a good set of sights. Trigger pull was smooth and crisp with no slack. My hat goes off to Smith and Wesson for building such a fine firearm. Again thanks for all the input.

P0832177
August 6, 2006, 07:45 AM
Get rid of the half moon clips, and get the full moon clips.
www.beckhamdesign.com makes someones that do not require the use of tools and for the range they are great!

Ranch Products is a great source of full moon clips at http://www.ranchproducts.com/

Brownells carries full moon clips, too. The carry a Remooner Tool
http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/151110000a.jpg

You do not want this demooner tool http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/151110000.jpg as they break way to easy, and yeah even the super demooner tool breaks. You want this one http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/352197100.jpg the item # is 352-197-000

Ops Officer
August 6, 2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the news, guys. I am searching for both the PC 625 and a 25-2 as well. I'll probably find the 25-2 sooner. The PC 625 seems to be a rarer bird in Virginia.

John, does the 25-2 take moon clips as well?

Quinch
August 6, 2006, 11:09 PM
I've had my non-super demooner for about 5 years now, It's still working fine.

P0832177
August 7, 2006, 02:08 AM
Good for you quinch! But, for the money the Brownells tool is the one to get, plus it is way cheaper! The Cali Comp demooner tool needs to be aluminum all the way around, the polymer just plain sucks! I broke 3 regular at the axel of the handle, and one super demooner and it broke in the same place, too. So, they were all replaced of course with no fan fare! But, that does not make me change my mind!

If you find a 25-2 good luck, they were last made around 1980 or so. Of course they take full moon clips, half moon clips, and 1/3 moon clips. I think the rich bluing looks schweet!

Sistema1927
August 7, 2006, 08:39 AM
I highly recommend this Moon Clip Tool (http://www.mooncliptool.com/). Works great for both loading and unloading moon clips, and is excellent quality.

JoeHatley
August 7, 2006, 12:06 PM
You do not want this demooner tool

I've been using a California Comp "pliers" type de-mooner for 10 years. No problems at all...

Joe

jjohnson
August 7, 2006, 03:04 PM
Oh, I dunno. I've had my demooner (the one in the middle pic a few posts back)
for some years now and it hasn't failed me, so they DO work. Maybe I got a 'good one' and the other poster didn't. Being plastic, some batches of plastic don't always set up right. In any case, you SURE want a demooner of one type or another, especially if you're using steel clips of any sort. I haven't used the polymers, but have used 2, 3 and 6 round full moon clips. Full moon clips are the way to go. Auto Rim's okay, but heck, why have .45ACP in the first place, right? The moon clips are very handy. My 625 is "pre-lawyers" so it has no funky safety. I hope that doesn't hose up your trigger pull. My 625 is on my list of "keepers" as far as guns go; full lug, 5 inch barrel, a real shooter.

But yeah, don't suffer with steel clips without a stripper. I can't speak about the polymer, but man, those spring steel clips are tough to do with just a pencil.
:banghead:

Stainz
August 7, 2006, 04:29 PM
My polymer scissors demooner made one trip to the range before it developed a stress crack that rendered it useless - and a new paperweight. A friend bought a much more expensive Al version - it lasted him a few months - but it was replaced. His 625 interest waned, and all was traded away... too much recoil was his excuse. Go figure. I like steel full moonclips and the nutdriver style demooner, it will hold the six empties in it's tube as you demoon, a great aid here.

Another adjunct, if you reload, and especially if you have installed a Wolff reduced power hammer leaf spring, is good brass. You will have to load them with Federal primers, that is a given, but good brass sneaks up on you. Some range sweepings will have a too-deep primer pocket - others, a loose one. I promise you, a box of 500 or 1,000 new pieces of brass will go a long way to alleviating many odd failure-to-fire problems. Your nice revolver doesn't carelessly toss it's empties on the ground or concrete - you carefully remove them. They will last a long time. I learned this lesson the hard way - twice! At least during my first 625 ownership, I had a way to get rid of the loaded range sweepings loads... my Marlin Camp .45 would throw it's empties into another time zone! Retrieval of said spent cases wasn't a consideration.

One final comment re 625 selection... get what you 'want'... if you can find it... just get one! They are all the same, accuracy/action-wise. If not, just dry-shoot and clean/lube it - it'll be nearly as good as a tweaked variant. Four years ago, I elected to buy a new 4" 625-8 - with the Lock. My desired 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP was just not available then. S&W said they 'might' make more - soon. I eventually sold that one - and bought the brand new 625JM version. I still have yet to see, much less touch, a 625MG in .45 ACP!

Stainz

Dale53
February 28, 2009, 02:18 AM
Here is your best solution for range use:
http://www.ezmoonclip.com/

I still prefer steel clips for "serious" use. In my carefully considered opinion, these REQUIRE tools. I have several different tools. Here is one that does both load and unload the clips:

http://www.mooncliptool.com/

Here is the easiest to use to de-moon:

http://www.demooner.com/produc...&SearchFor=&PT_ID=28

I use the standard tool at $17.00.

If you are only going to buy one, buy the first one. If you are going to buy both you will have the best of both worlds.

One other choice - if you reload, Starline makes .45 Auto Rim cases and these are essentially rimmed .45 ACP cases and are used without the clips just like any other revolver.

I use Starline Auto Rim cases.

Remember, the RIMZ clips are revolver model specific. They require NO tools whatsoever. They are made of polymer and seem to last nearly forever (I think, as I have only used my for a couple of thousand rounds with no failures).

Dale53

RON in PA
February 28, 2009, 05:11 AM
The 625 is one great revolver, even the newer ones with the MIM and lock. Perhaps my most accurate revolver. Only one complaint and that is S&W's attitude that the gun should be shot using moonclips. As a result shooting unclipped 45 ACP is very hit and miss as the depth of chambering is variable and mis-fires are common. I use primarily auto rim cartridges.

rcmodel
February 28, 2009, 01:10 PM
+1

Ops Offcer you were misinformed, as factory ammo without having the action tuned should be ignited with no problems in the 625.No, that is correct info from the S&W rep.

Since the frame mounted firing pin came along, S&W has seen fit to chamber the 625's way too deep.

Most all of them will miss-fire without 1/2 moon or full-moon clips to hold the cases back against the recoil shield / firing pin.

My 625-6, and my buddies 625JM both are chambered so deep the firing pin will not even touch a primer unless the rounds are in clips.

The older 1917, 1950 Target, 25, and 625 with hammer mounted firing pins were chambered correctly to headspace on the case mouth without clips.

The newer guns are not.
And it's a damn shame!

rc

bluetopper
February 28, 2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for that info rc.......I "was" seriously considering getting one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on S&W 625 Revolver in 45ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!