New guy Muzzleloader questions

PDA

Bodo
August 6, 2006, 03:16 PM
I'm looking to buy a reasonably priced muzzleloader that is accurate out to 150 yards. I'm looking at the newengland firearms muzzleoader. Any input would be helpful.Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "New guy Muzzleloader questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
August 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
150 yards? How accurate are you looking for? :scrutiny:

Welcome to THR, by the way.

grizz
August 6, 2006, 05:28 PM
Are you interested in a traditional flintlock type muzzleloader? Or a new design that utilizes a 209 primer, pelletized powder, etc?

If you're interested in a new design, Cabelas has Winchester APEX Magnum 209 Rifles on sale for really good prices right now (look in the "bargain cave" on www.cabelas.com)

I've never shot one, but I use a similar design (T/C Omega) and it's awesome. Amazing accuracy at 100 - 200 yards.

arcticap
August 6, 2006, 05:44 PM
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Muzzleloaders/huntsman.aspx
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Muzzleloaders/sidekick.aspx

Those are some potentially accurate rifles. They do have a longer barrel, and some kind of a patented primer carrier that may not be the most conventional system, but if that's what you like then go for it.
It may be a little heavier than some once scoped, and the break action design has it's pluses and minus. But 150 yards isn't always like money in the bank with any ML'er, but doable if you're up to the task. Is there anything wrong with only shooting accurately out to 100 yards or so offhand? :D

Bodo
August 6, 2006, 05:53 PM
Yes I'm looking at the new style muzzleloaders.

arcticap
August 6, 2006, 06:27 PM
BTW, I have an H&R 20 gauge shotgun slug gun and it has to be one of the most accurate slug guns "on the planet" IMO. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "New guy Muzzleloader questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!