Recoil pad for a JC Higgins model 50

PDA

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 6, 2006, 03:39 PM
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know of a recoil pad that will fit a JC Higgins Model 50 with little to no modification? I've never replaced one before and am not sure if there are any tricks to getting one that fits right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil pad for a JC Higgins model 50" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clemson
August 6, 2006, 05:55 PM
You're right -- it's a long shot.

Basically, if you like the current length of pull on the stock that you have, you are going to have to cut the stock in order to accomodate a pad and not lengthen the stock inordinately.

A grind-to-fit pad is not technically difficult to install, but it takes the equipment and knowledge to a) cut the stock at the right length without splintering it, b) drill for and install the pad, c) mark and grind the pad to final dimensions.

It's a good project to learn on if you decide to go ahead with it yourself. The pad will only cost you $25. A grinding jig is another $25. If you already have an 80T blade for your miter saw and a proper drill for the holes, go for it. If you want a gunsmith to do it, plan to pay at least $75-100 for a Decelerator, installed.

Clemson

meldrim_gunsmith
August 6, 2006, 09:46 PM
I just may have what you are looking for.
I just re-worked several shotguns and have a stash of Higgins recoil pads
email me tomorrow and I'll check my shop stash

hoghunting
August 7, 2006, 09:36 AM
If you still haven't found a pad, measure the butt of your stock at the longest and widest points and check this site http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/technical/rptemplates/mastertemp.pdf

Compare your measurements with their sizes and hopefully you might get lucky.

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 7, 2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the information guys, I'll see what I can come up with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil pad for a JC Higgins model 50" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!