Lighten Savage bolt lift?

PDA

rbernie
August 6, 2006, 06:02 PM
Is there a way to lighten the bolt lift on a Savage 10/110 series rifle? Seems like every time I go to buy one, I walk away because I can't stand the effort needed to lift the bolt after the striker's been fired/untensioned....

If you enjoyed reading about "Lighten Savage bolt lift?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chawbaccer
August 6, 2006, 07:04 PM
I think that from use they lighten up a bit from self polishing the cocking cam. A bit of Lubriplate grease on the mating surfaces can help too.

Firehand
August 8, 2006, 04:58 PM
Search for 'Fr. Frog's home page'. He's got a section on the Savage Scout rifle on polishing the bolt to smooth cocking, and it should work on any Savage bolt.

Darkker
August 13, 2006, 10:12 PM
http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/
Fred is a Savage god, if you don't want to do anything yourself. The easiest thing to do is USE YOUR GUN! Get your gun, go to the back room(as your wife will gripe endlessly if you don't) Flip on the tube, and start working the action. Just sit down and work the bolt, open- to closed and locked, *click* do it again. This will *work-in* and polish all mating surfaces to each other.

Ifishsum
August 15, 2006, 03:28 PM
An oversized bolt handle should give some improvement and can be ordered directly from sharp shooter supply (above link). These are standard equipment on the Savage varmint/tactical models - if your shop has one try it and see if you notice the difference. My 12FV has one and it's not bad at all.

Riss
August 18, 2006, 11:47 PM
I put on an oversize, extra length knob and that alone made the bolt much easier to lift. I did similar to the remington mod, where the bolt knob is milled off and then threaded for a stud to mount the new knob. I just had it milled off and a stud hole reamed in the handle and the knob I made. If you have access to a lathe making a variety of knobs in various shapes is very easy.

Beetle Bailey
August 19, 2006, 01:37 AM
I just got an oversized bolt from SSS and the difference is night and day compared to the factory bolt. The extra leverage comes in handy. Plus, it looks a lot better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lighten Savage bolt lift?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!