New .44 soon!

PDA

Nightcrawler
August 6, 2006, 09:24 PM
Okay, folks. I got a nice check in the mail. Soon I"ll be acquiring the gun I put three others on consignment to get: a S&W 629 Classic 5" .44 Magnum.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/163636_large.jpg

Why am I picking the 5"? Several reasons.

One, I already have an excellent Kramer gunleather holster for a 5" full underlug N-Frame; I bought it for my 625. Two, I really like the feel and balance of 5" N-Frames. Three, that extra inch will reduce muzzle blast slightly and help with recoil.

For bulk practice ammo, I'm thinking of the 240 grain LSWC @ 1100 fps that Georgia Arms and Cabelas sells. I think this'll provide plenty of power but won't beat me up too bad.

Grips are going to be Pachmayr gripper decellerators. I like the look of wood grips, but nothing makes a revolver point for me as well as Pachmayrs.

I figure aside from that, all I need is some speedloaders and maybe a good field holster.

Who here likes the full underlug 629 classic series?

If you enjoyed reading about "New .44 soon!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ARTiger
August 6, 2006, 09:49 PM
I have a 6# half lugged 629 and have shot a 4# Model 29 a lot as well. The barrel length does really make a difference with the .44 mags. I can see where a fully lugged 5" may have the same feel as my 6" half lugged. Interesting comprimise . . . I like the 5" barrel idea. Let us know how she shoots.

MartinBrody
August 6, 2006, 11:02 PM
I just picked up a S&W 629-6 Classic in the 5 inch a few months ago. The 4 is too short, the 6 is too long, the 5 is just right. I think it is the best looking model and still has manageable recoil and is super accurate.
I have never posted a pic before, so hopefully one will show up in the post.

Stainz
August 7, 2006, 06:57 AM
Find a .460 or .500 Magnum at a local dealer's. See how that grip feels to you. You can buy the same grips from S&W Accessories for $35 + S/H - and one size fits all: K/L, N, and X-frames. They are the best recoil absorbers I have tried for my 4" & 6" h-l 629's, and they sport them all of the time, while everything else I have sports wood. My only Pachmeyer Decelerators are for my 5.5" .45 Redhawk, and they are back in a drawer... it's back to wood.

Stainz

Dave P
August 7, 2006, 07:15 AM
Good choice Nightcrawler - but I like the port on my 6.5" model.

Great guns - load 'em lite or load 'em HOT!

DAve

LeadPumper
August 7, 2006, 07:37 AM
No doubt about it, it's a great gun.

I prefer Hogue Monogrips to Pachmeyers (YMMV).

And I load my own .44; a 240 grn JHP sitting on 23 grs of W296 makes enough thump that you know you shot something, but dosen't beat you up to badly. It also leaves room to increase the load into 'hunting' velocity.

I also prefer the Performance Center model (very slick)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/jgelner/Other/SW629-5PC.jpg

Good choice, good luck, good shooting...

-LeadPumper

Bullet Bob
August 7, 2006, 07:54 AM
I have the same gun with a blued finish, the model 29 Classic. It's very, very, accurate, and well balanced. For low and medium-powered loads, try the Hogues that come on it before switching grips. This gun and a 617 S&W are about the only guns I have that I haven't replaced the grips on because they just feel right to my hands.

http://fototime.com/EC56DFD43090294/standard.jpg

jjohnson
August 7, 2006, 08:09 AM
Absolutely right on the 5 inch barrel. It's not like you can conceal an N-frame under something smaller than a parka, so the 4" just gives you more blast anyway, but the 5 inch barrel does me just right. I have a 625 in .45ACP with 5" full underlug barrel, and the 629 same deal. Wow! Do they handle and balance great, or WHAT? I still have to get a Kramer holster. Mine are "range guns" so I don't carry them often in that ugly nylon holster, but they get shot a lot and people I take shooting always remark first "oh, BIG gun, must kick bad!" and then AFTER shooting them, the remarks change to "WOW, THAT was NICE!" Recoil isn't as bad as expected with the (okay, heavy) weight, and good sights on a 5' barrel means an average newbie can actually hit the target if you're not pushing max loads in the .44. Entirely new experience for most of 'em. When they're finished shooting all my target ammo they wonder where they can get one.:D \ One buddy who's a new cop, loves his Glock, just said "Oh, SWEEEET!!!" nuff said.

My 629 Classic came with nice wood finger grooved grips and a nice Pachmayr Decelerator. I left the wood stocks on it for awhile to differentiate it from the 625 visually, but switched grips when I started shooting beefy .44 Mags in it - knuckles were sore - maybe I'll put the wood onto the 625. I think you're gonna find that 240 grains at 1100fps will do an awful lot for you without beating you to death.

Yeah, that pair are among the guns I've bought and NEVER regretted. I'm keeping mine!

Nightcrawler
August 7, 2006, 05:42 PM
I actually prefer the Pachmayr grips to the Hogues.

One thing I am doing, is my 625 is on consignment to help me acquire the .44. Why? Well, I like 5" N-Frames, but the 625 is weight inefficient. Very accurate, very good target gun, but I want more of a general purpose revolver. A .44 is the king of versatility, I think. Everything from apartment defense with frangible loads to bear defense with heavy magnum loads. Hard to beat that!

Dark Helmet
August 7, 2006, 06:11 PM
I had one, it was waaay sweet. Pick up a used K/L Pachmayr Compac- it may look a little funny but it will shoot a whole lot easier-The Hogue lets the backstrap beat the web of your hand silly. Rem Midrange (Yellow box) Or other hotter/heavier loads OK although I wouldn't want much Buffalo Bore! I didn't care for the Rem yellow box 180s. Slightly downloaded lighter weight bullets were good as well(190 swc@1200fps). :cool: Couldn't use it for hunting, though, barrel was 1/2 in. too short by NC gamelaws.:rolleyes:

fiVe
August 7, 2006, 08:07 PM
A beautiful piece--good choice, NC.

Nightcrawler
August 11, 2006, 02:36 AM
I ordered my revolver today! It'll be here on Tuesday, probably. Got a nice Blade Tech drop holster coming for it, too. Plus, the Kramer Gunleather concealment holster I bought for my 625 will fit it as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "New .44 soon!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!