Help on bullet nomenclature.

PDA

FilJos
August 7, 2006, 06:25 PM
Can someone either direct me to a site that can help or just tell me what all the letters after the grain weight stand for?

I understand the basics, but what exactly are:

JHC
CNL
LFN-GC
LV

Any other gems anyone can think of?

The more I look at specialty ammunition, the more confused I am.

And now I'm sure someone will come along and tell me to either use the search engine (already tried that, maybe I'm just inept) or roll thier eyes at someone asking such a "basic" question, like duh, anyone should know that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help on bullet nomenclature." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dcloudy777@aol.com
August 7, 2006, 06:27 PM
Conical Nose Lead
Lead Flat Nose - Gas Check

not sure about the other two...

DanO

FilJos
August 7, 2006, 06:33 PM
'nuther dumb one: What does "Gas Check" mean?

dcloudy777@aol.com
August 7, 2006, 06:37 PM
A gas check is a thin "disc" of copper at the base of a non-jacketed bullet, in order to reduce barrel leading from higher velocities.

DanO

Mannlicher
August 7, 2006, 06:37 PM
a 'gas check' is a little copper cap that goes on the bottom of a lead slug. It looks not unlike a tiny cup. The purpose is to reduce leading, and hopefully help with accuracy.

Baba Louie
August 7, 2006, 06:51 PM
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IE.html

Open link and read. For specifics re: acronyms scroll down to ammunition and read. (most, not all, but many questions will be answered)

As to gas check... rear end of bullet is capped w/ copper cup, once powder has ignited the rear cap expands outward to meet barrel wall "checking" the resultant gas from escaping past the bullet (kinda like piston rings... only not)
http://www.bulletswage.com/images/ad-bg1.jpg

Feel free to ask questions. Just don't be surprised at the answers you get. I'm usually only wrong about 75% of the time... or am I? ;)

FilJos
August 7, 2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

Stickjockey
August 7, 2006, 09:47 PM
Some more:

TMJ-Total Metal Jacket

FMJ-Full Metal Jacket

HP-Hollowpoint

HPSWC-Hollowpoint Semi-Wadcutter

SWC-Semi-Wadcutter

WC-Wadcutter

EFMJ-Expanding Full Metal Jacket

Lupinus
August 7, 2006, 10:18 PM
a gas check is a small copper cup that fits onto the base of a cast lead bullet you press on with a luber sizer press. It helps cut down on leading by protecting the base of the bullet. Also because it keeps the base from being melted and deformed it can help improve accuracy.

MachIVshooter
August 8, 2006, 12:16 AM
JHC

Jacketed hollow cavity (yes, redundant terminology; It's not a "cavity unless it's hollow:rolleyes: )

If you enjoyed reading about "Help on bullet nomenclature." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!