AntiGun Family Or Friends

PDA

limbaughfan
August 8, 2006, 12:28 AM
Discuss how to deal yall deal them,describe your experiences with them and how to combat their arguements.

If you enjoyed reading about "AntiGun Family Or Friends" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mrmeval
August 8, 2006, 12:32 AM
I don't go to their homes if I can't carry or I won't carry there. I don't talk to them about guns. I only have a few aquaintances who are not gun friendly and it's not really come up. I usually don't befriend anti-gunners.

LoneCoon
August 8, 2006, 12:32 AM
I invite them to go shooting. If they don't want to go, then I simply ignore them as not being willing to even try to see the other side of the issue.

PinnedAndRecessed
August 8, 2006, 12:33 AM
It's like religion or politics. It's just not worth the effort.

Redneck with a 40
August 8, 2006, 01:08 AM
Me and my brother got into a heated discussion, after I told him I was taking a handgun safety class, which is required to obtain a CCW in Colorado. My brother used the typical anti-gun, liberal tactics, argue solely based on emotion and feeling, and shout your opponent down, so facts cannot be presented. I got pissed and walked away from the whole thing, he thought he had won. However, I later wrote him a 10 page letter stating my views on gun control, with statistics and facts to back it up. I haven't heard from my brother since, but I know he cannot deny that I made many valid points and presented hard facts, that pretty much demolish his position. My brother is entitled to his view, as long as he does not cram it down my throat. If he can't accept my view, then that's his problem.

DoubleTapDrew
August 8, 2006, 01:31 AM
I think you have to test the waters to see how firm they are in their views. If they are a fence sitter and you are friendly about it and invite them to go shoot you may have created a new shooter. If they are firm in their views all the facts in the world won't change their mind.
Also, when debating with someone don't attack their point of view and say "you" a lot. It makes someone's defenses go up immediately and you are a LOT less likely to get them to actually listen to what you are trying to say. This goes for all debates about any subject with wives, husbands, co-workers, etc.

50caliber123
August 8, 2006, 02:35 AM
many of these arguements are unavoidable, even if you try not to bring up guns. I've dated women whose die-hard liberal families found out I shoot and tried to make my life hell because of it. I'm old enough to own what I do, I bought them all legally, there shouldn't be a problem. I've gotten the "NO Gunman is going to date my daughter!" and "How would you like it if I shot you" yelled in my face on several occasions. I try every time to talk calm and rationally, and parents or friends of women I've dated end up screaming at me. I always end up walking away.

stevelyn
August 8, 2006, 02:47 AM
Discuss how you deal withy them...

I don't waste my time. You can't choose who is in your family, but you can choose not to associate with them. I've chosen not to associate with mine for about 20 years now.

I can choose who my friends are and have chosen not to have anti friends either.

Life is too short to put up with the aggravation.:barf:

RandomAvenger
August 8, 2006, 04:25 AM
So often it is difficult to hold a rational, logical discussion with persons who refuse to accept an absolute value system. Their very beliefs are based on relativism (an oxymoron if there ever was one) and therefore they are not required to maintain any semblance of order in their arguements. Why do you think that they have varying opinions of things every other day? The same arguement that you use to back up your position will be twisted and distorted by them tomorrow in their attempt to "show you the light".

I have found that the easiest way to get them to shut up (because there is no convincing them of the error of their ways) is to throw the intolerance arguement back at them. Call them hypocrates and tell them that they are the most intolerant person that you have ever met. When they stop for a second to ponder what you just said (remember that they preach about tolerance of everyone else's ways) walk away. This will leave them wanting more and hopefully willing to approach you later to reopen a diaglogue, but bear in mind that they will always believe you are wrong.

Good luck. Hopefully you are secure enough in your beliefs and thoughts and have done enought to research to be able to back up your arguement. It is a long, uphill battle that you may never win. But I applaud you for trying.

jeepmor
August 8, 2006, 06:36 AM
And I owe my freedom today to guns, and all Americans do. Not the shenanigans of global oil and middle east hornets nest poking of today. The fact that when confiscation of guns came to the Colonies, America was born. We fought for this right and our freedom. Our forefathers wrote it into the very lifeblood of this country. It is my right to own a gun, please don't equate a right with crime, that's called projection and its not a credible argument.

Also, I am one of the ~88 million gun owners of America, a population larger than all armies in the world put together. That keeps your government careful when considering firearms and liberties legislation when 1 in 3 people in America own a gun.

If they don't get past that, I repeat, you are free because of guns, and guns are your insurance of that freedom whether you like it or not. Your insurance policy of freedom stands with 1 in every 3 people in America, think about that, look around fella, 1 in 3 of those people you see, own a gun. We don't have 88 millon gun crimes a year. Quit equating guns to crime, again, that's a weak standpoint for your argument.

jeepmor

Molon Labe
August 8, 2006, 07:32 AM
99% of anti-gunners are fearful of guns because they know nothing about them. The best advice was given by LoneCoon.

crazed_ss
August 8, 2006, 07:44 AM
I dont try to convince them of anything. If they dont like guns, it's their perogative.

I will clear thing up with them though if they are misguided. For example, I explained to my mom that the CA assault weapons ban has nothing do to with fully auto rifles and machineguns. When I explained how the M1A is legal and the AR-15 isnt, her response was "That certaintly doesnt make any sense".. She still doesnt like guns, but she has a better understanding of why gun control laws dont work.

witiku
August 8, 2006, 08:09 AM
Ever been packing while having one of these "Guns are the cause of evil..." comments lobbed at you? :)

I just walk away saying something less ignorant to the real world. Not too argumentative. :rolleyes: Why get into it and be forever looked at as 'That Guy'

What a way to rebut a flawed arguement. Actually secretly using the God given right your friend/family/stranger so easily argues as Useless!

W

Radjxf
August 8, 2006, 08:50 AM
Haven't seen one yet who has any valid points, just the above mentioned shouting and emotional hysterics. My mother-in-law is absolutely convinced that "guns just go off" by themselves even while in storage. I know I certainly keep all of mine chambered with the hammers back all of the time:rolleyes:

Roadwild17
August 8, 2006, 09:30 AM
Pinned +1

My gf is an by-stander & whenever she gets into her anti-mood I just remind her "funny, after Kartnia you wanted a gun, it was kinda late then though." That usually shuts her up.

doggscube
August 8, 2006, 09:39 AM
My sister made it clear that my new brother-in-law isn't allowed to go shooting with me. Her profession (social work) pretty much requires an anti-gun attitude.

I should still ask occasionally. :evil:

-Jeff

witiku
August 8, 2006, 10:00 AM
Oh the ---- I got untill Katrina came. :uhoh:

This is a minor hoot WRT Katrina.

One of my wifes' trusted friends, who Absolutely Never mentioned firearms, called post storm and asked; "Do you have any firearms in the house?"

She was stunned, nearly fell out. He told her that he had it on good authority people may need to take care of themselves...

He said "Get them out and keep them ready." I thought she would choke. when she told him "We are covered."

sound of crickets and that 'Don't say it" look in her eyes.

The ---- started back up once the turmoil was less obvious. :(

Evil Monkey
August 8, 2006, 10:37 AM
I got no family members who are hard core anti gunners but they are afraid of them, again, mostly becuase they don't know facts about guns and why people carry guns.

I used to get the "Why do you need guns?" question all the time but ever since I answered "for sport and collecting", I don't get asked that question any more.

My dad was weary of guns but then he started to go to the gun shops with me and now he really doesn't mind them.:evil:

What about mom? Well, mom will always be mom, caring for her young ones. She's not really anti gun but she just doesn't want me getting shot.

limbaughfan
August 8, 2006, 10:59 AM
50caliber123 that was a very funny story.Ive never heard of an antis parents screaming stuff like that,but I could belive it.

sterling180
August 8, 2006, 10:59 AM
My,mother,father,various cousins,their wives and boyfriends,my grandmother-when she was alive-,my second-cousins,my girlfriend, a few of my aunts,some of my friends,even-yes even some of the people who I work with.My G.P.(state surgery/clinic doctor.) isn't even keen on them and he isn't British either.

limbaughfan
August 8, 2006, 11:08 AM
are you saying they were pro or anti.

sterling180
August 8, 2006, 11:09 AM
Anti gun-with a few exceptions of course.:rolleyes:

limbaughfan
August 8, 2006, 11:11 AM
ohh that sucks

ball3006
August 8, 2006, 11:26 AM
If it is not a 12 ga duck shotgun or a 30-30 Winchester, they should be banned. I just ignore him..........good thing he lives in PA and I live in TX.....The rest of the family on both sides are ok......chris3

SuperNaut
August 8, 2006, 11:27 AM
IME my anti-gun friends and family are just waiting for permission from someone that it is okay to like something. I don't know if it is a personality type, or some sort of societal role that people play; but if I just calmly talk about how fun it is to target shoot, I'll have new people at the range.

Additionally, you'd be suprised how well the comment "your argument would be stronger if you had actually fired a gun; want me to show you how?" works.

In one instance an opponent responded to the above with: "I don't have to try child molestation to know that it is wrong." This was met with groans and laughter from everyone in the conversation. I just calmly continued without taking the bait. Everyone now knew who the irrational party was in the conversation.

Don't let that irrational person be you.

m0ntels
August 8, 2006, 11:34 AM
The closest thing I've had to an anti experience was when my friend's younger sister came over with her. Older sis doesnt really likes guns either, but she's seen me carry and knows how much I enjoy them.

We were in my room and I had about 1,000 rounds of various reloads on the dresser. Little sis walks over and asks what's in all the plastic boxes. I let her open one up and she stares with a somewhat shocked look on her face at a 50 pack of 9mm rounds. Told her that was nothing and handed her a 7.5x55 and a 12 gauge slug.

"What in the world do you need something that big for?!"

"It's more fun poking holes in paper with the big ones" I told her. She pawed around with them for a few more minutes.

I agree that most people are only scared from a lack of personal experience with guns. I try to get them to sit in on a reloading session before I take them shooting. After letting them watch the process, I let them put together a box of their own ammo. Seeing all the boring raw materials really sucks out that evil cloud of mystery they had in their heads. Then I tell them to keep the first round they made as a souvenier and let them shoot off the rest of the box. Havent gotten anyone hooked yet, but they always say they feel more educated about shooting and they all enjoyed the experience.

Randy

Sindawe
August 8, 2006, 11:36 AM
The majority of my extended family has very little interest in firearms, 'specially after my 12 y/o cousin took his own life during some damn-stupid showing off with his fathers .357. The only gun owned by any of them is an Uncles .22 pistol that has not been fired in years. Thats from both maternal and paternal lines. We rarely discuss 'em except for with my sister, who is considering getting one since she lives in Georgetown and has a small screechling of four y/o to mind. The gun would be for mountain lions, not the screechling. :D

dfaugh
August 8, 2006, 11:57 AM
What we always need to do with these threads is to differentiate between the true "antis" and the fence sitters.

There's not much you can do or say to the true rabid anti-gunners. I've found, however, that many people (including my mother and sister) say they "don't like guns", but when push comes to shove they won't argue the point with you. Even my mother and sister have admitted that, in a SHTF situation, they would come to my house, as they know they would be safe here. Hypocriticism in action!

I don't go out of my way to convert the fence-sitters, but I will usually offer to let them try it (and a few have ASKED me to try it). Few have turned into true "gun nuts", but most now understand that guns are nothing more than an inanimate object, and is not to be feared.

1911JMB
August 8, 2006, 12:12 PM
Life is too short to make enemy's of family and friends over one issue. In my opinion, anybody who dissagrees should reconsider their views. I know as friends numerous anti gunners. Anybody who can't enjoy other things with their friends like pool, bowling, or watching football or something needs a new hobby or two.

MD_Willington
August 8, 2006, 12:22 PM
My Aunt who is ex-SAR (military search and rescue) is against firearms, we agree to disagree.

My uncle has no problem with them, if he lived in the USA he'd go the distance for the NFA stuff, he likes cool machinery.

Not really an issue with my parents, they are impartial.

My wife's side, males (4) are impartial the females (4) lean towards not having them but remain mainly impartial.

My wife is impartial.

My friends are for firearms... that's who I go shooting with...

Not many people I know are Anti, except my Auntie...but if she ever visits I'll take her out to the farm and get her hooked on shooting.

Tearlachblair
August 8, 2006, 12:33 PM
I've gotten the "NO Gunman is going to date my daughter!" and "How would you like it if I shot you" yelled in my face on several occasions.

:uhoh: Am I the only one here who would take the "How would you like if it I shot you" as threatening language?

TallPine
August 8, 2006, 12:58 PM
I have yet to meet an "antigun" person in rural/small town Montana :)

Probably there are some but they just mostly don't talk about it.

I suppose that many of my wife's family are antigun if you asked them, but they all live at least two states away, or rather we live two states away from them (and there is a reason for that :uhoh: ). One of her uncles and aunt visit us once in a while - I noticed him eyeing my revolver when he and I went out for a hike one time, but he didn't say anything.

cbsbyte
August 8, 2006, 01:47 PM
Personally, I don't even know how I got into liking guns. When I was growing up I only knew three kids whose fathers hunted. Heck, Bt the infinte loving capacity of my mother, I could not even own a toy gun that even looked remotely like a real one. I am the only person in my immediate family who owns firearms. No one else I know in my parent’s families has ever owned a gun. However, there where a couple distant relatives who hunted, but they passed away years ago. Both my parents are on the anti side to one degree or another. My mother even tried to sabtouge my getting my LTC when I turned 21, by calling the Chief of police to proclaim I was unfit to own a gun. Luckily he ignored them since I grew up in that town and never once got arrest by the police. I long ago stopped arguing, I mean discussing the issue with them. They have not given up pestering me on selling my guns before I hurt myself or someone else. I ignore their pleas. None of my friends own guns, and all of them have grown up with the idea that guns are bad. It has been drilled into them from parents and teachers since they where childern. Therefore, they fall into the anti-category. I have gotten a few friends to come out and shoot but they did not enjoy the activity, nor did it change there minds on the issue. It is hard to rationalize with harden minds.

HankB
August 8, 2006, 01:55 PM
The men on the paternal side of my family have always been "gunnies" . . . heck, I remember tales about how my grandfather used to sneak into Prussia and bring guns back East across the border . . .

Mother's side of the family, no. They're not "anti" (at least not around me) but it's just not their cup of tea. I've had a few discussions, even taken a few shooting on occasion, but generally, the topic just doesn't come up.

As for friends . . . unlike family, I can CHOOSE my friends.

I do NOT have any rabidly "anti" friends.

limbaughfan
August 8, 2006, 02:41 PM
tearlachblair I think he was talking about what people said to him not what he said to them.

MyRoad
August 8, 2006, 03:16 PM
I have a lot of contact with every flavor of anti- or just non-gunners. I find they exist at many different levels. There are some who just hate all guns. Then there are those that warm up quickly to the idea of target shooting at a range, but can't understand why I own an AK-47. There are those that can understand why I have an AK, but can't understand why I would CCW. Some think hunting is evil, while others see hunting rifles as "useful tools" and military rifles as "paranoid militia craziness". Some can be 'educated' past certain points, and some just get stuck at their personal wall.

I deal with all of them by engaging as little as possible. I'm open to talking with them, and really have to take it one person at a time since they are all different. The biggest hurdle I've found is not explaining why I'd own an AK (and I don't just offer that information randomly) -- for me it's been the CCW thing. I think it's because they can handle knowing that all my guns are locked up in my house, but it really makes them uncomfortable to know that I'm sitting there in their home, or across the table from them at a restaurant, and I have a gun on me. Answer to that? Conceal as best you can, and hope they never find out.

Edit: One last thought. I didn't grow up with guns, I got really into shooting in my mid-30's. I was anti, on the fence, or ambiguous most of my life. The biggest thing that I've found as far as talking to anti's is to be 100% comfortable with guns myself. This might be obvious to many here, but for the others; think of it as if someone challenged the choice of car you drive -- you'd probably not really care about winning that argument, and that's the way it should be with guns. I present little or no emotion, no agenda, and I don't care about the outcome of the discussion. When I'm at peace with it, the conversations inevitably turn out O.K. That's what works for me, anyway. YMMV.

jjohnson
August 8, 2006, 04:49 PM
I don't carry all the time - I try to stay out of places where I feel like I'd need it, but then, you never know. At any rate, I just carry concealed... and hope that in fact it IS concealed. One thing I DON'T do, though, is carry into somebody else's house if I know they're hot on it - that's just rude. The iron can stay in the glove compartment. Most people who know me well enough to invite me into their house are either okay with it - or we both know that I carry and it's outside in my truck. I don't try to argue - if they don't like it, iron stays outside and I'm not up for debate. I've only had one occasion when I was really ready to use it. On the other hand, I have occasion to be polite just about every day. There have been a couple times when somebody noticed my empty holster, but nobody ever asked a question about it - it was just an eye contact thing - wonder why THAT is? :cool:

bumm
August 8, 2006, 06:28 PM
I have no family members who are antigun on my or my wife's side of the family. Very few rabid antigunners here in my part of rural Iowa. On the fairly rare occasion when I DO come across someone who is antigun, I seldom argue with them, but I do promote my side.
The best statement I can make seems to be "When I was a kid, a person could buy any gun he wanted, short of a machine gun or sawed off shotgun, THROUGH THE MAIL, and there was very little gun crime." I don't try to get anyone to admit they are wrong, and I don't expect them to change their minds after one discussion. I'm perfectly happy to see some of them actually THINK a little though.
Marty

Mauserguy
August 8, 2006, 08:44 PM
This weekend I had my wife's very liberal ex-roommate. She was over at my house and found out that I keep a loaded gun for home protection. She informed me that it was illegal to shoot an intruder in California. I pulled my copy of the California Attorny General's handbook of gun laws off the shelf and opened it to the paragraph dealing with "Fear of Imminent Bodily Harm." She said, "Oh, I didn't know that. I heard that it was illegal in California without a permit."

Soon, the conversaton drifted into hunting. She told me that it was illegal to hunt bears. I went over to my computer and pulled up the DFG website, and pulled up the code section on bear hunting. "I was told that it was illegal. I gess I was missinformed," she said.

She made several other factually incorrect statements, so I had to ask her where she learned these things. "Oh, I saw it on Law and Order." I guess you can't argue with the television.
Mauserguy

BGlaze250
August 8, 2006, 10:44 PM
Am I the only one here who would take the "How would you like if it I shot you" as threatening language?

For some reason, I think that many fathers say that to the boy that their daughter is dating, politics aside. :)

limbaughfan
August 8, 2006, 10:45 PM
mauserguy,sadly that person's ignorance doesnot suprise me.

Boats
August 8, 2006, 11:07 PM
One of my sisters-in-law is a subject of the UK. Once, at my father's place over Christmas, I pulled a custom Buck 110 (my "sheeple knife") to extricate some of my son's toys from their packaging.

Somehow she had missed the brown belt sheath on my waist all morning. SNICK! She about leaps out of her skin.

"Why in the name of heaven do you carry a weapon like that?"

"Baaaaah. Baaaaaah. I am the Chinese Cardboard Slasher." With as much theatrical brio and sarcasm as I could muster.

My brother infuriated her by apologizing right then for her jumpiness. Oddly enough, she and I have never discussed knives or guns since.:D

Antis are never worth the effort, only fence sitters are.

limbaughfan
August 8, 2006, 11:08 PM
so true

Lupinus
August 8, 2006, 11:19 PM
there are two types of anti gunners

those who have their position but can live and let live without cramming it down your throat and will leave well enough alone for neither party to bring up

and there are those who will cram it down your throat

the first group can be lived with easily enough. However the second group tend to be more the rule rather then the exception with modern anti gun types. If you want to deal with these types depends on how miserable you want to be as their friend. I have a few friends who aren't extremely anti gun, they just don't care for them and wouldn't mind seeing very tough restrictions or bans, they just aren't willing to shout it from the roof tops or argue it with me. Then I have past friends who felt the need to argue with me about it constantly and were more or less intelegent people but on the particuler issue were lunatics and extremely ignorant with no want or desire to better their understanting. These people are quickly kicked to the curb.

My mother for example doesn't care for guns but I have them and she understands that fact even if she does roll her eyes when mentioning I keep a loaded gun by the bed. But she knows better then to bother arguing with me because she knows it wont change, it is one of my set in stone will never change so don't bother positions and rules.

DoubleTapDrew
August 8, 2006, 11:54 PM
Mauserguy- Sounds like your wife's ex-roommate was more misinformed than anti. She admitted that she was going off what she heard rather than what she believed. Step two...take her shooting. Oh and bring your wife so she doesn't get jealous :D
These anti gun people can shreik from the highest rooftop about their beliefs. I won't listen to them and I don't think many people on this board will either. We know (and deep down, they do too) that if the S really does HTF, they are going to be the ones victimized, laying dead in ditches and cowering in corners and we will be the ones out restoring order, no matter how much faith they have in the JBTs. It happens every single day on a person to person basis. Their time just hasn't come yet.

Hoppy590
August 9, 2006, 12:19 AM
i think my friends girlfriend ( and subsequently a good friend to me) is ANTI! i mentioned im selling one of my bows and was gunna put the money towards a new rifle ( nagant or save up some more for a marlin 1895 cowboy ) and she seemed unaproving.

upon further convo i now think shes a fence sitter. she said if they get married there cant be any guns int he house if theres kids. i told her that when stored correctly they are safer than other house hold dangers, and she seems to be more accepting. fence sitters are always easier than antis

HankB
August 9, 2006, 08:45 AM
This weekend I had my wife's very liberal ex-roommate.You had your wife's ex-roommate? And your wife was OK with this? :eek:

:neener:

witiku
August 9, 2006, 10:55 AM
I was at a visiting a friend that was not into guns or hunting, no negative about it at all, great people. They are just not into it. Let alone SD.

Well we went to a get together and the conversation got arround to the evils of Ducks Unlimited. Woah, I needed 'splainen on that one. They had a formed a consensus that the only reason DU exists is to allow the killing of ducks, bla, bla, baah.

I was surrounded by antis and anti hunters even.

Well, even though they were correct, they were not right and about then the whole anti gun, anti hunting and Soft Citiy dweller type hippie theme became aparent.

I couldn't let it pass without rebuttal. :evil: In good fun though.

I had no time to form a coherent arguement as I recall. I just went straight to the flying meat of it. I said ~"Ducks that you murder yourself tasted great!", ~" DU save the environment to hunt ducks and for the birds to thrive forever..." They threw down. :fire:

I'm laughing now because I don't know if it was my deliberate use of the 870, the 'homicide' of the woodland creature for its flesh or the hunter in their midst that really got to them. Maybe they didn't know where to start on me but they droped it as we parted. :)

I said that without hunting there would be no civilization, no human beings.

There was no answer to that as it's true. Even from the antis. :D

Ctone03
August 9, 2006, 11:59 AM
When I met my wife, she loathed guns. She was not a statistics spouting anti, but she thought guns were stupid. It took a couple of months but now she shoots all sorts of weapons, carries, and has her own unique taste for firearms. I'm out of the country for awhile, and my brother-in-law gives my wife a shakedown when she comes over to see my sister; "Let me see the knife, let me see the gun, just checkin!"
A month after I left, I was talkin to my wife on the phone. The maintanance men came by to change the filters in the apartment (they had left a note the day before) and knocked, let themselves in, and announced that they were there, but she did not hear them. She just about had a heart attack when she saw the two large and scarry men, who quickly told her who they were and apologized. I heard the whole thing on the phone and it scared me pretty good for a few seconds. She realized right then how quick things can happen, and she keeps her .38 a little closer now. Her mother is not very fond of guns and does not like the idea that her daughter keeps them in the house, and most of her family thinks we are crazy for carrying. I don't know many people who don't carry, much less people who don't own guns. Everyone in my family is, and has always been, well armed.

Landor
August 9, 2006, 12:40 PM
I amazes me how many people have no idea or ever will know how stimulating a day at the range can be. :(

sterling180
August 14, 2006, 09:10 AM
This will make you all laugh.This guy at my Learn Direct Centre (who is its centre manager.) is called Adam and he is a great fan of the hitman series.I asked him if he liked Hitmans Colt .45 pistols and if he would have shot them,before the ban in 1997.He told me:"No I wouldn't and that I,you or any member of the general public,don't need them.Do you need a Colt automatic or revolver,to shoot with then? I said:"For target-shooting" and he said:"You don't need it,if you want a gun,use an airgun-for your target-shooting needs.

slicknickns
August 14, 2006, 09:56 AM
I have a lot of pro-gun minded friends. i like hearing people's viewes. I like it when they say that ordinary people should not be able to own guns. I enjoy it when people who critize firearms hear my beliefs. But mostly i enjoy bombastically stating my very-pro gun beliefs to them.

pax
August 14, 2006, 10:06 AM
"... how would you like it if I shot you?"

"With what?"

pax

BergaminoCAV
August 14, 2006, 10:26 AM
I really only have about 4 people I know that are against guns, and its not even a good reason, its just they dont like guns. I just tell them its my freedom and right to own my guns and they seem to understand. If I know someone is extremely against them I just dont talk about it with them, because you know how stubburn and unamerican some of those people are!! Sorry, I dont like when people try and take away rights and freedoms that I have as an American.

Phenom
August 14, 2006, 10:30 AM
I had a case manager that was anti-gun that I told "There's the door, don't let it hit your rearend on that way out". It wasn't due to him being anti-gun, it was due to him calling and upsetting me. He has the attitude that America would be better off without firearms. You get rid of firearms then you get rid of a part of this country's history. I'm a firm believer that everything on this planet is here for a reason. What happens if paper was banned? My former case manager wouldn't be able to enjoy his hobby of japanese paper folding. Firearms were put here mainly for hunting and protection. Just like STDs were put on this planet to cure morally loose people.

lance22
August 14, 2006, 12:57 PM
I work in technology ... my last job was at a non-profit. Everybody there was basically anti-gun, pro-socialism. Some were even personally involved in the successful effort to strike down the first 'shall issue' law in MN (the 2003 law). I sometimes spoke about my hobbies (IPSC, 3 Gun) and nobody 'dissed me though they voiced disapproval. Neither did i 'diss them. I never discussed 'carry' there.

In January I switched companies, and out of about 20 guys I believe they all own firearms in general and handguns in specific, and they oppose all the hippie BS about the profit motive being bad. WOW ... what a turn around from my last place. Even in an approving environment, I will not disclose that I have a permit to carry. None of their business ...

Two jobs ago I had a very good friend who was from Poland. Like all Eastern Europeans, he spent all of his time bitching about America. Believe it or not I was very, very good friends with him for three years until finally one of his friends openly ridiculed me (mercilessly) for 20 minutes straight. I never spoke to either of them again. I had never disrepected them for their opinons that America should just like Europe, but they laughed at my expense often.

Kharn
August 14, 2006, 01:49 PM
Mom and Dad dont mind that I shoot, they just see my purchase habits as a bit excessive while also realizing that since I have my own place I can do whatever I want.

My brother has a Ruger MkIII and an AK, so no worries about him except beyond how we're going to fit his guns into my safe (he moves into my spare bedroom at the end of the month, so I wont have to go shooting solo anymore).

Being in the boonies of Maryland, practically everyone I know has a firearm either at their place or in the back of their closet at their parents' house. If anyone's anti-gun, they havent told me about it.

Kharn

torpid
August 14, 2006, 01:53 PM
Just like STDs were put on this planet to cure morally loose people.

Riiiight. :rolleyes:

And cancer is put here to cure...?

Colt
August 14, 2006, 01:59 PM
One statement that always seems to shut them down (if not shut them up), is this:

"I own guns because I have decided to accept responsibility for the safety of my family. When their lives are threatened, I don't want a telephone call to be my last line of defense."

Simple and effective. Especially with any fence-sitters that might be listening in. I have introduced about 6 aquaintances to shooting who were at the time fence-sitting sheep. The prospect of inhanced family safety has been the most compelling reason.

After the initial range visit, the topic of guns for self-defense usually comes up. At that point, the right questions can keep the enlightenment going. For instance, we live about 20 miles from Philly. With one buddy, I asked: "What do you think would happen if a dirty bomb was detonated in Philly?" They usually think about it for a while, then conclude that it would start to get very crowded in the suburbs. Then I asked him how many of the urbanites he expected to remain civil and orderly when they reach the suburbs, being tired, hungry, thirsty, and angry? That was enough for him. It varies from person to person, though.

grislyatoms
August 14, 2006, 02:25 PM
My mother is extremely anti. She has been my entire life. It's caused quite a bit of friction over the years, Dad being a "gunnie" and all.

As a matter of fact, she made me write an anti essay in the 8th grade. I responded by writing a letter to the editor of the local paper supporting RKBA, and it was actually published.

Nowadays, she knows I am usually armed, we just don't discuss it.

She once told me "I would rather be killed by a BG than harm another person." Sorry, Mom, I don't see it that way.

Phenom
August 14, 2006, 03:03 PM
Torpid stay on topic, there's a PM system for a reason;)

antsi
August 14, 2006, 03:22 PM
------quote-----------
If they are firm in their views all the facts in the world won't change their mind.
----------------------

This is the truth. I have a couple like this in my extended family and I agree they aren't changing.

Usually I just avoid the subject. But if they come out with some kind of nonsense propaganda crap they read on the Brady Center website - in other words, something that is demonstrably and objectively untrue - then I will correct them on that particular matter.

For instance, once my Aunt was going off about so-called 'assault weapons' and saying that "the bullets these guns fire are so powerful, you couldn't use them for hunting: there wouldn't be anything left of the deer!" This is just factually incorrect, and I corrected it.

There's no way I'm changing her mind on gun control generally, but at least I can replace some of the propaganda in her head with facts.

wingnutx
August 14, 2006, 03:26 PM
My older sister is anti to the core.

She used to go shooting and be at least mildy pro-rkba, but then she became a public school teacher. Hard left, flanking speed.

I don't do much to combat her arguments on anything. She's easily upset, so I just keep my trap shut in the interest of family unity. She knows that I am a gun nut and on the opposite end of the political spectrum.

jamz
August 14, 2006, 03:47 PM
Only the wife, mildly anti gun. She used to be very firm about it, but she's coming around. Now she just rolls her eyes when she sees me and my son with a rifle and a bb-gun to shoot in the backyard. :)

I only bring up CCW a bit with my brother (he has a CCW but does not carry as far as I know). Last weekend my brother and I went sailing with my Dad, and I mentioned that I had a Glock in my bag- my Dad said "I knew I raised you right!" He thinks carry is silly though, but I think that's because he lives in a town that won't issue a permit. I told him if he applies in the town in which he has a summer house, he's likely to get one, and he said he'd probably do that. :)

Inti
August 14, 2006, 04:19 PM
Torpid stay on topic, there's a PM system for a reason;)

:rolleyes:

Deer Hunter
August 14, 2006, 04:46 PM
My first centerfire rifle to ever shoot was a 30-06. As my handle implies, my family hunts very, very frequently. My mother's brothers and their father collected firearms. My mother actually helped them cast their own bullets when she was younger. When my father kidnapped my mother and brought her a poverty stricken life in the country, she didn't mind the guns. In fact, she thinks my revolvers are pretty, and she is asking for a nice "Ornate and aestetically pleasing" over and under for bird hunting (She wants it to look better than it shoots).

However, as her side of the family lives across the country, I don't see them very often. Now you all have to understand, in every single picture of me from age 1-9, I've got a gun in my hand. In fact, my sister and I were looking through the old photo books and saw that I had a Colt replica 6-gun, Red Rider BB gun, or a knife always with me. In telling you this, I'm trying to say that I have always had a love of weapons. It's in my genes, so to speak. :)

Well, I go to visit one of my mother's sisters when I was around 13. At this point I'm more of a knife/blade person than a gun person (Although that is mainly because I didn't have the money for guns, and swords didn't require reloading). I stay with this suburban country-club-christian (aka, has a very fluffy exterior, but the interior is twisted, so to speak) completely anti-gun anti-violence anti-anything-fun (for me) family.

At the end of the week, My mother's sister tells her that she needs to put me into therapy, because my ideas were "Scareing" my little cousins.
One of the things that made my aunt upset was that I had taken appart an electric toy (one of my cousin's, with his permission), strapped it to the back of a remote controlled car, wired in the motor to the battery pack, and placed a reinforced arm equipped with a metal cutting edge to the motor, so when I turned the toy truck on, the motor would make the arm spin (it was located in the front of the toy), and so anything in front of it would be sliced.

I called it "The Mouse Slayer". :evil:

So of course, some of my ways may have scared this suburbanite household. But then again, you have to understand, the father, upon hearing a disturbance in the middle of the night, made his wife go down the stairs first. He said he'd be "Right behind her".
:scrutiny:

Tokugawa
August 14, 2006, 08:43 PM
About 99.9 percent of the anti's I run into are leftist Bush haters. So usually, after hearing some anti gun diatribe, I ask them "After Bush declares himself emperor and recinds the constitution and executes every member of the aclu, how are you going to fight back with out guns?"
This generally makes them think for at least a second or two, cause they are quite willing to believe Bush is going to do this.

DoubleTapDrew
August 15, 2006, 01:07 AM
They seem to think the country is going to hell in a handbasket due to the government, yet shun the very tools necessary to keep said government in check.
They recognize crime is a problem yet shun the very tools necessary to keep themselves and their loved ones safe. They are often a lost cause.

tellner
August 15, 2006, 01:53 AM
My youngest sister has already banned me from her house because I own guns. We do not speak, and I will not have anything to do with her beyond what gives comfort to my parents. It's a shame. I love my niece and nephews, but I will not associate with people who treat me as a dangerous animal rather than a member of the family.

Mauserguy
August 15, 2006, 02:00 AM
HankB, that's no what I meant...
Mauserguy

Redneck with a 40
August 15, 2006, 02:13 AM
My brother is a probation officer for the state of Colorado and his wife is a school teacher. Can you say "extreme left wing"? That's pretty much where they stand on guns. My brother once stated to me that "all guns should be banned outright", including shotguns and hunting rifles! He even went so far as to say "we should eliminate the manufacture of guns for the civilian market"! Of course my brother has absolutely ZERO evidence or rational to support this position, when I tried to introduce a couple of basic facts surrounding the gun issue, he began shouting and was confrontational. I had to just walk away. My brother is a rabid socialist, liberal who gets all his information off of the street. He does not read newspapers, does not watch any TV news whatsoever, he basically is ignorant of any current events. He is extremely ignorant of the gun issue, he spouts stupid statements like the one above. My brother is truly hopeless, no amount of facts will sway him in the least. Considering the father we both have, the way my brother turned out is pretty strange.
My dad is very pro-gun, always has been. He taught me how to shoot when I was 10 years old with a single shot .22 rifle. When I turned 21, I bought my first handgun, my dad was supportive, and I was hooked. I'm now 29 and I am a certified "gun nut".:D I have no idea where my brother developed his absolutely absurd views. However, being in social work, being a leftist, radical, democrat is pretty much mandatory. I actually believe my brother would prefer a socialist society.
My stepbrother is a bit of an oddball. He supports the leftist democrat agenda, he likes and voted for John Kerry. The ironic thing is, he owns several guns, including handguns. With his political position, he is not doing gun owners any favors! I told him he should sell all of his guns, if he's going to vote for politicians that want to ban them! In my view, liberal-democrat-gun-owner do not mix.

The Guy
August 15, 2006, 02:19 AM
Interesting posts. I was thinking of a thread just like this one today before I logged on, and low and behold, one was already here.

My mom is an anti. I think it is now a requirement for teachers that you have to be a left-wing nut to be one. Since I am home now, we clash constantly about my firearms and my use of them. What is really strange is that when my dad and I are cleaning out the varmits around the farm, she thinks it is O.K., just "don't shoot the rabits or foxes, they're cute".

But when I ask her what she will do if any 2 legged varmits come around, her head goes straight into the sand. The silly thing is, she thinks that shotguns and .22's are for furry farmland creatures (no foxes and rabbits though), but every thing else I have is only for killing people.

The sadest thing is, she is so smart about almost everything else but firearms and politics, and she has infected my sister too. :( Kinda makes for a s*@%%y Christmas.

The other anti in my family is my wife. I ended up moving out because of her anti behavior. I could deal with all of her other problems (redhead, you know) but when she started in on the firearms, I moved out.

All hope is not lost though. She called me the other day and said that she was scarred out of her mind, because someone had broken a window out of her car and stole her purse and some other stuff at night, in her driveway. It took the police twenty minutes to get there from when she called them. WhenI asked her if she now understood why I had firearms and didn't trust 911 to save me, she said yes, and asked if I would help her learn how to shoot and get her a pistol.:) I am glad that she and my twin girls are still safe, and I think that we will end up working this out.

To make a long story short (too late!), every one can see the light, some just have to have it shown to them in a different way. I just haven't figured out away to convince my mom and sis yet.:rolleyes:

strambo
August 15, 2006, 02:26 AM
The Guy,

Good thinking breaking into her car...just make sure you get rid of all the evidence!:evil: :D -kidding of course! I hope things work out.

The Guy
August 15, 2006, 02:35 AM
now that was funny! If only i was that cunning. She is, but I doubt she would try to prove HERSELF wrong!

But then again, who understands the minds of (most) women...

the pistolero
August 15, 2006, 07:16 AM
Not so long ago, I crossed paths with a girl. The mutual attraction was very strong. The gun thing came up. With every reason I gave her for possibly owning a gun she came up with a reason not to. She was under the delusion that everyone who walks God's green earth would be able to use physical maneuvers (or measures such as pepper spray or mace) to subdue those who would do them harm. This person said that gun owners were "playing God," and "deciding who lives and who dies," even going so far as to say that the 60-some-odd million gun owners in this country were using the remainder of the population for target practice. A bona-fide RCOB moment, let me tell you. I tried to tell her, calmly, that with my own condition, (mild case of cerebral palsy, bad arm and leg), it would not be so prudent of me to stake my next sunrise on my physical abilities. She still did not understand, accusing me of lecturing her after I tried to tell her in detail -- yes, as non-confrontationally as I thought anyone could -- why I feel so strongly about this. I suppose I could have told her about the multiple rapes and countless beatings someone I once knew experienced that might well have been avoided had this lady had a gun and the willingness and know-how to use it, but she probably would have said this lady should have armed herself with the condiment. :fire: I have nothing to do with this anti anymore. I hated it, but how else do you deal with such closed-minded people? :banghead:

entropy
August 15, 2006, 10:36 AM
Everyone on my side of the family shoots-down to my seven year old niece. On my wife's side, no rabid anti's, but some of them are uncomfortable with guns. One sister in law is the most vocal about it, (her Dad was a politician :eek: ) but except for making comments when I brought my side of the family out shooting at the farm, and not letting her son join us, she doesn't say too much. I've taken some of the kids shooting with me, and was surprised to find one brother-in-law actully deer hunts! (My father in law turkey hunts, but more to 'get the D%^& things off my land ' than anything else! :) ) My soon to be brother in law and my wife's sister are probably the most left-leaning,from residing in Minneapolis and reading 'The Pravda of the Prairie' far too much. (The Minneapolis [Red] Star and Tribune, which is just slightly to the left of The Village Voice.) But they know of my views, and when we talk about it, are agreeable even when we don't agree.

Zen21Tao
August 15, 2006, 10:50 AM
The only real "anti-gun" person in my family is my sister. She wont let her kids play with toy guns. She is a blatant hypocrite though. When she moved to a dangerous are she bought herself a couple of cheap guns and said she wasn't anti-gun. Then when she had to get rid of them (her wrongfully accused her husband of domestic abuse. As a result he llost right to own firearms) she suddenly became anti-gun again.

In my sisters case she is a flaming liberal that dropped out of school at a young age and thinks that it is societys fault she doesn't have as much as others that stayed in school and worked to their asses off to get where they are. She thinks that "fairness and equality" means taking from others and giving to her. The libs give her something for nothing in the form of welfare so she buys into everything they support.

The best way to combat her views would be to try to teach her the value of self responsability rather than relying on the government. When people become self reliant I feel that they will see firearms as another form of freedom from governmental reliance.

DoubleTapDrew
August 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
In my sisters case she is a flaming liberal that dropped out of school at a young age and thinks that it is societys fault she doesn't have as much as others that stayed in school and worked to their asses off to get where they are. She thinks that "fairness and equality" means taking from others and giving to her. The libs give her something for nothing in the form of welfare so she buys into everything they support.

That probably sums up the whole mentality. The libs/antis feel the gov't should take care of them and protect them while the right/conservatives realize we need to take care of ourselves. The politics in other areas usually reflect this as well.
I don't like relying on anyone to take care of me. If they can do it, great! But I still want to be able to take care of myself. Like the religious saying "give a man a fish, feed him for day. Teach him to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

Low-Sci
August 16, 2006, 03:17 AM
My girlfriend is sorta anti, but not really. Every time we watch a horror movie, the first thing she usually says is "we're gonna take gun classes together, right?"

One of my old roommates had a real problem with guns. He wouldn't even let his cat wander into my room. "Twinky, you can't go in there. Too many guns." Because cats can unlock, load, and fire guns, as I'm sure all of you knew.

One of this guy's friends was visiting, and found my room by mistake. He opens the door and sees me with an M4gery that my old boss told me to familiarize myself with. I've never heard a more profound, lengthy apology in all my life. I tried to tell him it was cool, just knock, but he was too busy backing away slowly.

DoubleTapDrew
August 17, 2006, 12:15 AM
Because cats can unlock, load, and fire guns, as I'm sure all of you knew.
Of course they do!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/joshmc18/ClubSN_Humour_Sniper_Kitty.jpg

One of this guy's friends was visiting, and found my room by mistake. He opens the door and sees me with an M4gery that my old boss told me to familiarize myself with. I've never heard a more profound, lengthy apology in all my life. I tried to tell him it was cool, just knock, but he was too busy backing away slowly.

Were you in your underwear dancing with the M4gery? haha just kidding :p

If you enjoyed reading about "AntiGun Family Or Friends" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!