Military World, Orlando Florida - Disneyworld has new competition. I'm there!!

PDA

Rockrivr1
August 8, 2006, 01:35 PM
FORT BELVOIR, Virginia (AP) -- The Army is considering a proposal to allow a private developer to build a military-themed park that would include Cobra Gunship rides and bars including a "1st Division Lounge."

Military officials said a massive entertainment and hotel complex built next to a national Army museum could draw more than 1 million people a year. But authorities in Fairfax County are objecting because of already traffic-clogged roads surrounding the proposed site.

Universal City Property Management III, of Orlando, Florida, submitted the unsolicited proposal for the theme park last year.

"You can command the latest M-1 tank, feel the rush of a paratrooper freefall, fly a Cobra Gunship or defend your B-17 as a waist gunner," according to the proposal, which was obtained by The Washington Post.

County officials have no authority over the Army's decision because the site is federal property. County Supervisor T. Dana Kauffman said he thought the entertainment concept died last year and said he had no interest in turning a military museum into "Disney on Rolling Road."

But the Army notified the county last week it is planning to move the military museum from Fort Belvoir to a site a few miles away that would be large enough for the entertainment complex.

If you enjoyed reading about "Military World, Orlando Florida - Disneyworld has new competition. I'm there!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pharmer
August 8, 2006, 02:12 PM
Absolutely belongs here. You'll all appreciate the location when you come in January, although it's a little warm at the moment. Joe

Leatherneck
August 8, 2006, 02:14 PM
You're welcome to it, Pharmer--we don't need it up here in NoVA, where traffic gets progressively worse every year.

But what does this have to do wit' guns??:confused:

TC

Rockrivr1
August 8, 2006, 02:23 PM
Well, it's more military then actual gun specific. Just picture yourself though in a B-17 manning the 50 cal. Not sure how that will work, but it's definitely something that has to be experienced if your down there. Then again, aiming the cannon while in a tank must be pretty interesting as well.

Sistema1927
August 8, 2006, 02:28 PM
While the company wanting to do this is out of Orlando, I believe that the plan is to build it in the Fairfax, VA area.

If you want a good "military" experience in the Orlando area, let me recommend the "Fantasy of Flight" museum a bit east of Orlando on the way to Tampa.

ChestyP
August 8, 2006, 02:54 PM
Then again, the SHOT (Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trades) Show is at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando next January. I guess this is gun related but not necessarily thread related!

But January is a great time to visit Orlando.

XDKingslayer
August 8, 2006, 04:10 PM
January is a horrible time to visit Orlando because every other northerner is there. The roads are clogged, the restaurants are clogged, the rides at attractions are clogged.

Come after Easter when they all go back home and it's a much, much nicer place.

Cowgunner
August 8, 2006, 04:16 PM
sounds like fun.............

Wes Janson
August 8, 2006, 10:31 PM
I went to the Fantasy of Flight museum about five or six years ago, late in the day coming back from a day trip to Orlando.

We finished up the exhibits around 6 PM or so (I dunno why they weren't already closed, late hours? or just early sunset?) and went out onto the tarmac. It was sunset, the sky was gorgeous, and then a guy came by and buzzed us at about fifty feet in his privately owned and restored P-51 Mustang. Twice.

That's a helluva nice (coincidental) touch to end a museum tour!

10 Ring Tao
August 9, 2006, 02:16 AM
Hell yeah! Worlds largest assortment of shooting simulators.

RustyShackelford
August 9, 2006, 03:54 AM
WDW(Disney) already has an offical Armed Forces rec center in Orlando FL, Shades of Green.

www.shadesofgreen.org

I've never been there but I know it's run by AAFES(Army Air Force Exchange System).

Rusty S
;)

usp9
August 9, 2006, 09:21 AM
The Army shot this idea down pronto.:scrutiny: Why it was reported is a mystery. Belvoir is going to be busy enough absorbing the 20,000 newcomers headed their way. Sorry guys...no theme park in No. VA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Military World, Orlando Florida - Disneyworld has new competition. I'm there!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!