As if the media's constant use of the word "Arsenal" wasn't bad enough...

PDA

Jamie C.
August 8, 2006, 11:13 PM
When our local news covered this story (http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=83052), just a few minutes ago, the kid's stash of weapons was a "mini-arsenal", according to them. :rolleyes:

But then again, I did see it on FOX news here in Tn, so I'm only mildly surprised. Most days, six weapons would be a full-blown arsenal, by their standards.

So maybe "mini-arsenal" is actually an improvement? :scrutiny: :confused:

J.C.

If you enjoyed reading about "As if the media's constant use of the word "Arsenal" wasn't bad enough..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
220_Swift
August 8, 2006, 11:24 PM
The definition of arsenal according to Merriam-Webster is:

1 a : an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment b : a collection of weapons

While it may not be correct in our minds, it is correct according to the dictionary.

Jamie C.
August 8, 2006, 11:27 PM
Yes, I understand that.... but where's the line between "arsenal" and "mini-arsenal" I wonder... ;)

J.C.

Beachmaster
August 8, 2006, 11:30 PM
"Mini-arsenal" refers to smaller caliber weapons, or pistols! hahaha

AJAX22
August 8, 2006, 11:30 PM
If it fits in a duffle its a mini, if it takes up more than that its a full blown.:neener:

DoubleTapDrew
August 8, 2006, 11:31 PM
Most law abiding people have a "massive aresenal" of weapons by their standards.
Thank goodness the JBT are making sure all the law abiding citizens are disarmed. Had a few people been carrying at Columbine many lives would have been spared and we certainly can't have that!
What is it going to take to make the media see the light?

Jamie C.
August 8, 2006, 11:39 PM
If it fits in a duffle its a mini, if it takes up more than that its a full blown. :neener:

So..... would that make a sock crammed full'a Jennings J-22s and Davis derringers a "Micro-Arsenal"? :p :evil:

J.C.

qlajlu
August 8, 2006, 11:41 PM
The article referenced in Jamie C.'s post didn't say anything about him carrying inside the school, only that the weapons were in his car. (I did notice, however, that one of the charges was a concealed weapons violation.) My question is if there did happen to be a "Columbine" situation, was he going to run to his car and then go back in like Nightcrawler or Lorenzo? Go figure :confused:

Jamie C.
August 8, 2006, 11:47 PM
Qlajlu, I had to pull that story from a Ga news page 'cause FOX hasn't posted the story to their website yet. ( It only aired here an hour or so ago. )

From the way our local people presented the story, it sounded like they and the L.E.O.s that made the arrest thought the kid was gonna try to pull a "Columbine" himself, not try to defend from one.

I'll keep an eye on the FOX site to see if any more info is given on it.

J.C.

Eightball
August 8, 2006, 11:48 PM
So..... would that make a sock crammed full'a Jennings J-22s and Davis derringers a "Micro-Arsenal"? You owe me a keyboard for making me laugh to where I spewed coke all over it.:mad::p

qlajlu
August 9, 2006, 12:18 AM
...it sounded like they and the L.E.O.s that made the arrest thought the kid was gonna try to pull a "Columbine" himself, not try to defend from one.
I was just going by what the article you referenced before had said. Ballard says Kittrell told authorities he was trying to defend himself in case a Columbine type of attack took place at the school.

Jamie C.
August 9, 2006, 12:34 AM
I was just going by what the article you referenced before had said.

I understand. And yes, I'm sure that's Kittrell's story and he's gonna stick to it.

The way the story was presented in both places was so vague though, it's hard to tell if the kid was really just paranoid, or if he was up to something more and is now just lying to minimize the amount of trouble he's in.

The news media's presentation is always suspect, especially when the lead-in is something like "Another Columbine averted", which is pretty much how FOX covered it here.

J.C.

Lupinus
August 9, 2006, 12:37 AM
maybe a "mini-arsenal" refers to an arsenal of mini guns? muzle loaders firing mini balls?

one could hope :evil:

qlajlu
August 9, 2006, 12:47 AM
Another thread got started about the same time that Jamie C. started this one. That thread has referenced an almost identical story, however they have a slide show of 8 pictures showing the guns he was "packing." They are very nice guns and well protected in a "hard case."

Go here ===> http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9646335/detail.html

Erebus
August 9, 2006, 12:58 AM
Well just from reading the article my best guess is that this kid thought he was going to bring this stuff to school and show it off to his friends. Probably thought that he could get away with it and didn't. Probably thinks that saying he was concerned about a "Columbine" style attack sounded less stupid than I was showing them off to my friends.

a seventh charge of carrying concealed weapons

Probably had knives in his pockets.

If he was going to shoot up the school which I doubt or he would have done it. Although it doesn't say if they nailed him as soon as he arrived.

Hmm gee look all kinds of speculation based on not a whole heck of alot..... I gotta stop doing that and wait for more real information.

armedandsafe
August 9, 2006, 03:40 AM
So..... would that make a sock crammed full'a Jennings J-22s and Davis derringers a "Micro-Arsenal"?

No, I'd call that the waste of a good sap. :evil:

Pops

AnthonyRSS
August 9, 2006, 09:11 AM
Those were some nice guns in a nice fitted case. Like always, I'd like to know the real story. Wouldn't think a boy intent on committing a school shooting would go to all the trouble.

Anthony

Preacherman
August 9, 2006, 09:25 AM
A mini-arsenal would contain:

1. Mini-14's and Mini-30's;

2. GE Miniguns;

3. Civil War rifled muskets firing mini(e) balls;

4. Be transported in a Mini car.

Does that answer your question?

:D

Zundfolge
August 9, 2006, 11:17 AM
It doesn't matter why he had the guns, all guns are baaaad ... self defense is baaad.

Thats what the sheep are told anyway.

Assuming that he did have them there for self defense against a "Columbine" style attack I have a few thoughts:
Is his concern just blanket paranoia or has he heard something from other students ... does he know something's coming?
He's learned it the hard way but the lesson here is; "Loose Lips Sink Ships"
Since he's under 18 will this come off his record later? Or will he spend his life as a "prohibited person" when it comes to 2A rights?
What do you think would be the media response if he did stop some Harris and Klebold types?

Pilgrim
August 9, 2006, 11:30 AM
In a letter to parents, Principal Gregory Stillions says the arrest came after school officials received a tip that a student would be bringing weapons to campus.

Ballard says someone who knew of Kittrell's plan to bring weapons told a school resource officer.
Kittrell has learned a lesson here, hopefully. "Three can keep a secret if two are dead."

Pilgrim

qlajlu
August 9, 2006, 12:25 PM
Assuming that he did have them there for self defense against a "Columbine" style attack I have a few thoughts:

Is his concern just blanket paranoia or has he heard something from other students ... does he know something's [sic] coming?

He's learned it the hard way but the lesson here is; "Loose Lips Sink Ships"
Since he's under 18 will this come off his record later? Or will he spend his life as a "prohibited person" when it comes to 2A rights?

What do you think would be the media response if he did stop some Harris and Klebold types?

Those are some excellent questions. Does anyone have any answers? And I don't mean, "Well, I think...," type answers.

MD_Willington
August 9, 2006, 01:17 PM
lol

Everytime I view a thread here about "post your guns" I have a "Virtual Arsenal" on my computer...

:neener:

gbell
August 9, 2006, 01:45 PM
4 guns + 2 knifes= "mini-arsenal"= huge cash of weapons:scrutiny:

Soybomb
August 9, 2006, 02:19 PM
When you know nothing about guns hearing that someone keeps thousands of rounds of ammo at home sounds scary. If people saw it as $15 worth of ammo in the form of 2 bricks from walmart they might change their mind.

carterbeauford
August 9, 2006, 03:37 PM
That young man had quite the preparedness kit in that hard case.

Wonder what the law would say if he had only unloaded rifles in that case and no handguns.

MD_Willington
August 9, 2006, 07:59 PM
Did they find a wheel barrow too ? :p

If you enjoyed reading about "As if the media's constant use of the word "Arsenal" wasn't bad enough..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!