The 26-year old virgin (revolver related)...

PDA

Cousin Mike
August 9, 2006, 02:01 AM
I was 12 when I fired my first gun. A snub nose .357 Magnum that a friend of my mother had purchased. We spent most of the day firing off .38 Spl rounds, and after a little shotgunning, we broke out the .357 rounds. Although I was impressed with (and shot better with) that little snubbie, when it came time to buy my own gun 9 years later, I bought an auto... A Beretta 92FS.

Since then I've owned, sold, traded, been given, and given back quite a few guns, all autos - with the exception of one 32 H&R Magnum revolver that I never got a chance to fire, and only had for several weeks.. I basically babysat it for my father, although it wasn't intended that way... So that time doesn't count. :rolleyes:

For the last few years, I just didn't want a revolver. A revolver picture thread here in the revolver forum got me curious. I started looking at wheelguns when I went to gun stores, and loved the way certain grip types felt in my hand. I started wanting one, and then I found the Colt last month. Well that was it... I'm hooked.

I lost my virginity at 26... :evil:

I know I'm not the only 'late bloomer,' but I'd like to hear about everyone else's experience, no matter how old or young. Time for some gun-style locker-room talk :D

Tell me about your oh-so-special - the one you'll never forget - very first revolver! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "The 26-year old virgin (revolver related)..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hammerdown
August 9, 2006, 12:44 PM
with the exception of one 32 H&R Magnum revolver that I never got a chance to fire, and only had for several weeks.. I basically babysat it for my father, although it wasn't intended that way... So that time doesn't count

Hello Cousin Mike
Man, If this .32 H&R Magnum revolver you spoke of WAS a S&W Model 16-4, You missed out one of the BEST target revolver's and hardest to FIND, and it is Indeed a S&W Model 16-4, I would Beg, Borrow, and throw a fit, to get your hands on it. I like you had a mild interest in revolver's when I was young. My love affair for the Under rated .32 H&R magnum round started off with My Father's Ruger single action revolver. I saw quickly just how potent and accurate one was, so set my feeler's out for the S&W model 16-4 that was released in 1989. Little did I know, at that time, this would be one of the toughest ones to find, and never saw a Used on at all through the years. During the time span when S&W was making this model, they sent most of them to S&W stocking dealer's. This was another problem for me, as I grew up in a small town, and my local gun shop was Not a high number stocking dealer even though he got several he ordered that model 16-4 would not show up. I lusted for one over 25 Years, until I had the chance to buy one New In Box from a friend. I am a fan of the shorter 4" barrel version's but settled for this 6" model. Several things changed through the years, and I found myself interested in hand loading ammo. This was the turning point at what was a REAL eye opener of what can be accomplished by hand loading the rather meek H&R .32 magnum. It is a known fact that Federal was the original ammo company that teamed up with H&R on the development and production of this round. It was intended for a lighter framed revolver, and maybe this was it's down fall to public acceptance as it was not ever a hot sought after cartridge with a velocity average just over 1000 FPS. Then the worse that could happen to this exciting new round, when H&R went bankrupt shortly after it's release. This placed a dark cloud on the round along with some down played Magazine articles back then that claimed the round was Not a magnum round when compared to the other's of that time like the .357, .41 & .44. I have played with this round now, for about Three full years, and worked out a load that is right up with the .357 velocity wise. this load is NO load to attempt to shoot in any revolver other than the model 16-4 that is hefty enough to digest it without shooting loose. That said, I would get hold of that 16-4 if your father still has it even if you are not a hand loader as several seem to offer this cartridge now other than federal and it is a tack driver. I hope this help's and here is a picture of mine to show what one look's like and to boost your lust to get hold of your Fathers as well.Take care, Hammerdown
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/DSCF5809.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/DSCF5807.jpg

Eskimo Jim
August 9, 2006, 08:03 PM
Cousin Mike,
My first revolver was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357magnum with a 6-1/2" barrel and stainless. It was a New Model probably made in the 1970s. I had bought it used several years ago. No matter what load I shot through it, it just wasn't quite accurate. My purchase of a S&W 66-5 meant that the RUger saw less range time. I sold the Ruger after it sat idle for too long.

My honey of a revolver is either my S&W model 17-2 made in 1962 or my model 19-6? made in 1966. The model 19 has a 2-1/2" barrel and is absolutely incredible.

Hammerdown, that's a great story!!

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "The 26-year old virgin (revolver related)..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!