Gun Names

PDA

BGlaze250
August 9, 2006, 07:49 AM
Does anyone here name their guns? I believe that Jayne, of Firefly, named his finest gun Vera, and I have had Annabelle, my Ruger 10/22, for a while. Are we alone in this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Names" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ajkurp
August 9, 2006, 06:06 PM
special ones. There's Gungnir- my competition pistol. And Mjolnir- my carry piece. And a few others. But most aren't worthy of their own names.

robert garner
August 9, 2006, 06:18 PM
Just one; aRooster, from Neitche.
"Also Sprache Zarathustra" in English
"Thus Spoke Zarathustra"
into Sothron dialectic, also said aRooster
.54 Flintlock
robert

MudPuppy
August 9, 2006, 08:00 PM
I do not.

I'm not saying I wouldn't in the future, but most people I've seen to do so are doing it to copy some movie or for attention.

I've known a couple of folks that had some genuine sentimentality for their firearms that had a pet name and that seems fine. I guess right now I don't have anything that fits the bill--they're all workers and not friends. :(

Nematocyst
August 9, 2006, 08:11 PM
Among my friends that know I have it (and not all do),
I refer to my 870P as "the large, black dog that barks loudly".

Wolf, wolf.

LightningJoe
August 10, 2006, 01:41 PM
I believe that a weapon that has been used successfully in mortal combat earns itself a name, but to name a gun in other circumstances sounds kind of goofy.

ACP230
August 10, 2006, 02:40 PM
Only the ones that seem to require it.

A Smith M657 with an eight and three eighths inch barrel needed the name, "Long Tall Sally"
"Long Tall Sally, she's so tall, sleeps in the kitchen with her feet in the hall."

My Ruger 77RL in .250 Savage has taken a lot of deer with one shot. It became, "The Deerslayer."

A Madsen M50 subgun is named "Hrothgar" after the Danish King in Beowulf.

Some others get along with model numbers.

Bart Noir
August 10, 2006, 07:50 PM
My Colt Agent named herself. When I took the grip panels off, I found the name Mildred etched in the grip frame. Not the name I would have chosen.....

Only other named gun, so far at least, is Winona, named for John Crichton's sidearm in the Farscape TV series. Mine is a Colt Officer's ACP in an ugly unpolished sorta Parkerized finish.

Another THR member names all his guns, every one.

Bart Noir

akodo
August 10, 2006, 09:12 PM
well, there is naming and there is naming.

For instance, my first handgun was a 6 inch taurus revolver, blued, which I bought used and still have. I call it 'ole blu' kinda like a hunting dog, but also because it is blued and it is older

when I was growing up, we had a lot of 22 rifles, and each had a 'name' to distinguish it from the others. Sure, we could have said 'the winchester model 52' but instead it was 'old heavy' because the gun was old and had a heavy barrel, 'barn bolt' was an old single shot bolt action .22 kept in the barn, 'the pumper' was of course a pump action .22, etc etc.

jbrown50
August 11, 2006, 01:23 PM
I kinda like the Secret Agent Man approach. http://www.cfhf.net/lyrics/secret-a.htm
Since they already have numbers there's no further work to be done.

sacp81170a
August 11, 2006, 01:28 PM
I believe Jeff Cooper calls his big game rifle "Baby", but I don't recall the caliber. Preacherman has told us on another thread that he calls his elephant gun "Fluffykins". I have refrained from such flummery and refer to my firearms by their code names, which I cannot repeat here since this is an unsecure forum. If I told ya, I might risk having a team of assassins armed with elephant guns after me. :neener:

redneckrepairs
August 11, 2006, 01:30 PM
Personaly i dont name guns . I dont name hammers , screwdrivers, prybars , air compressors , or other tools either .. but to each thier own on the matter LOL

Deanimator
August 11, 2006, 01:34 PM
I'm mulling over naming my 4" S&W Model 29 "Janeane" [Garofalo]. They're both short, dark, loud and hard to control, but never boring!

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Names" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!