With Guns

PDA

limbaughfan
August 9, 2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7g-xTXGX8&mode=related&search=
My question is where is the range officer,i mean those guys are idiots

If you enjoyed reading about "With Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HiWayMan
August 9, 2006, 12:06 PM
What exactly were they doing to make them idiots. I saw no other shooters in the range, ear protection, glasses, and safe gun handling.

I wouldn't have made the video personally, but I won't stand in someone else's way if they chose too.

steveracer
August 9, 2006, 12:12 PM
Dumb people, maybe. Unsafe? Nope. They're nowhere near as bad as the guys at my local indoor range bump-firing an AK from the hip!

kfranz
August 9, 2006, 12:12 PM
I didn't really scrutinize the video, but looked OK to me.

WayneConrad
August 9, 2006, 12:27 PM
I missed something. Was there a range safety issue?

Zundfolge
August 9, 2006, 12:27 PM
:confused:

I must be missing something here, but that looked like perfectly safe and correct gun handling ... unless they loaded their own and put a double charge of powder in that last shot or something.

Maybe limbaughfan saw something we didn't. :scrutiny:

Justin
August 9, 2006, 12:32 PM
Their shooting seems better than their camerawork.

molonlabe
August 9, 2006, 12:35 PM
?????? So Why?

Lupinus
August 9, 2006, 12:39 PM
bad camera work, kind of goofy kids

but all in all I didn't see anything that would make me report them to a range officer. And as for where was the range officer, of the three indoor ranges I have been to none had a safty officer in the shooting area.

Being goofy and stupid and overly giddy might be reasons to keep a close eye on them, but it isn't a reason to throw them off a range or even have the ro give them a talking to unless they were doing it to such a level it was annoying other shooters.

Frandy
August 9, 2006, 12:41 PM
I can see that some might consider his laughing and talking with his friend distracting and therefore innappropriate, but the video clearly shows that his gun handling was safe.

ScottsGT
August 9, 2006, 12:52 PM
Damn them! For having a good time while shooting. Really though, the gun was handled properly, all safety gear was present, etc...
Only problem I see is that I was not with them to have a good time too!

Landor
August 9, 2006, 01:16 PM
I agree that there was nothing wrong with the video. I can see though that they were in a tone of mind that could lead to mistakes. In a gun range is the last place you should be joking and laughing. If it were my kid I would nicely tell him to me a little bit more serious when in the range.

Trip20
August 9, 2006, 01:31 PM
In a gun range is the last place you should be joking and laughing.

:confused:

A gun range is the last place you should disregard the 4 rules, perhaps, but joking and laughing?... C'mon shooting is supposed to be fun. :)

It's possible the shooter was attempting to introduce some friends into the shooting sports and firearms in general. Sounds like a good opportunity to make it a fun atmosphere.

I watched the vid a minute ago while eating lunch at work. I had no sound. I couldn't hear whether they were talking about Sponge Bob, or terminal ballistics. But, from what I saw, they did nothing wrong. I saw smiles, what appeared to be safe gun handling, ear & eye protection, and not too bad of a shot.

Landor
August 9, 2006, 01:36 PM
Just because I said a gun range is the last place you should be joking and laughing does not mean you should not have fun. There is a medium. I think you took me just a little to literal. :)

rollback88
August 9, 2006, 01:46 PM
I kept waiting for something bad - especially with the girlfriends there - but, nothing.

As noted earlier... at our public range when some homies show up with an AR and giggly girlfriends, I start packing (both kinds :)).

--jcd

MechAg94
August 9, 2006, 01:51 PM
So where is the jackass? I didn't see any animals. :confused:

ID_shooting
August 9, 2006, 01:54 PM
I too have no sound so I have no clue what they were going on about.

Looked ok to me though. Gun was kept pointed down range, finger off trigger while loading, unloaded immediatly after shooting, gun set down before he pulled the target and truned to laugh some more. All had eayes and ears covered. Nope, I think the kids was very sife and new exactly what he was doing. No foul from my point of view

Joe7cri
August 9, 2006, 02:17 PM
I didn't see anything that would make me feel uncomfortable at the range, except maybe the video camera, but they were the only one there.

Limbaughfan, what exactly was so bad?

Evil Monkey
August 9, 2006, 02:23 PM
You know what I saw? Good Clean Fun.

Rich K
August 9, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evil Monkey, +1. Nothing wrong there.

GunnySkox
August 9, 2006, 02:37 PM
I might call them goobers, but certainly not jackasses. The video was a little goofy, yeah, but I don't see any egregious safety violations or anything.

~GnSx

Byron Quick
August 9, 2006, 02:40 PM
My question is where is the range officer,i mean those guys are idiots

The only range officers I've ever known of that would say one word about those young peoples' actions were DI's on a military range.

Safe gun handling, eye and ear protection, no horseplay. Sorry I've never seen a civilian range with posted rules against joking and laughing. I would pack my gear and leave if a range officer had one negative word to say to those people in my presence.

limbaughfan, do you have a problem with joking and laughing or just someone enjoying themselves?

Where, exactly, is the idiocy that should have been addressed by a range officer? Enlighten the masses...inquiring minds want to know!

Deathrider1579
August 9, 2006, 02:44 PM
If you don't like laughing and joking, I don't think I want to go shooting with you!

That’s a good part of the fun of it! just spending a good few hours just having a blast and kidding, bsing, laughing so hard you can't see man I wouldn't have it any other way!

Edit +1000000000000000000 to Byron Quick!
Only to add that I would probably say a few words to the range owner and that range officer on my way out.

-DR

Stiletto Null
August 9, 2006, 03:12 PM
What's wrong with joking around a bit if you're safe? :confused:

I don't see anything wrong here, other than them being kinda goofy.

limbaughfan
August 9, 2006, 03:14 PM
I thought thier laughing made them look careless.

Stiletto Null
August 9, 2006, 03:16 PM
CareFREE != CareLESS

arthurcw
August 9, 2006, 03:16 PM
I know what's wrong! I KNOW!!!!

The guy shootting was a lefty! D@MN THOSE SHOUTHPAWS!!!!

Hazwaste
August 9, 2006, 03:18 PM
Then call me Mr. Careless.

ambush
The only thing I heard on the video that could possibly be misconstrued is he says something to the effect that (while looking at the target at the end of the vid) "if you had to shoot somebody, would wouldn't kill them, but you'd hurt'em". Could that be the problem?? I don't see it.

c_yeager
Heavens forbid our hobby should actually be fun. Its all very serious business, isnt it? :rolleyes:

220_Swift
August 9, 2006, 03:25 PM
I see nothing wrong with laughing and having a good time, as long as they stay safe. And it looked to me that they were extremly safe in their handleing and shooting. JMHO

10 Ring Tao
August 9, 2006, 03:38 PM
I laugh and joke and smile when shooting all the time.

BAN ME!!!!!

Taurus 66
August 9, 2006, 03:47 PM
The third shot looked like it had slight english and went into the ceiling. Watch closely.

mikep99
August 9, 2006, 03:50 PM
Darn! I can't see this damn video beacause I am at work!

Justin
August 9, 2006, 04:03 PM
BAN ME!!!!!

NO! :p

warmrain
August 9, 2006, 04:19 PM
... and I wish that all my charges were that safe and had that much fun!

Owen
August 9, 2006, 08:43 PM
Sheesh, if they need to be kicked of the range for having too much fun, me and my friends are eligible for summary execution

cassandrasdaddy
August 9, 2006, 09:44 PM
feels the need to act out dirty harry fantasiesat the range.uptight folk just feed the wackjob stereotype the antis like to use.
i knew a real serious guy once. mall guard would cme home shower and wear gunbelt over bathrobe rest of night.

Amish_Bill
August 9, 2006, 09:50 PM
i knew a real serious guy once. mall guard would cme home shower and wear gunbelt over bathrobe rest of night.

I was once known to wear a shoulder holster under a bathrobe. I was usually rather jovial though... I'm confused now. :D

Lonestar
August 9, 2006, 09:59 PM
No offense, and I'm a Republican but no wonder your a Limbaugh fan.

I seen more careless shooting from the super tactical very serious, mall ninjas, then from a few guy having fun shooting.

Actually if the one guy, that stepped toward the end, was real serious at my range he might be profiled as a possible Al Qaeda member in training. Since he was having a good time, like everyone else should while shooting, he looks like just another guy.

Byron Quick
August 10, 2006, 03:40 AM
I don't think that third round went into the ceiling. I did wonder if they got a round that had overloaded. The report seemed louder and the recoil heavier than the first two shots. It appeared to me the pistol pointed at the ceiling after recoil.

Superpsy
August 10, 2006, 10:44 AM
How can anyone not laugh and smile when shooting? :scrutiny: I get a big ol' grin whenever I pick up the things :)

all in all looked safe to me...a bunch of college kids out at the range perhaps.

TCB in TN
August 10, 2006, 10:59 AM
They were safe, and if having fun is wrong......... Then I don't want to be right! :D

Trip20
August 10, 2006, 11:08 AM
It's truly a good thing seeing this age group (and what we assume may be the 'college crowd') out shooting and enjoying firearms safely.

Hopefully, the non-shooters in the vid were being exposes to firearms for the first time. What was once a scary ambiguous object of fear and danger, has become something loud, fun, and less frightening. Let that trend spread like wildfire, I say.

When I consider upcoming generations and what I witness to be the Michael Moore mentality on the typical college campus of today -- it gives me a glint of hope when from that culture emerges potential allies in our plight to keep 2A rights free and clear of contravention.

Nightfall MVII
August 10, 2006, 11:30 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with what they were doing.

I don't think that third round went into the ceiling. I did wonder if they got a round that had overloaded. The report seemed louder and the recoil heavier than the first two shots. It appeared to me the pistol pointed at the ceiling after recoil.
It looked like a .357 mag revolver to me. The first two shots were probably .38 special with the last being a full power .357 mag.

Correia
August 10, 2006, 02:54 PM
You guys are all wrong.

Whenever you shoot, you should be totally serious.

I try extra hard to actually scowl at the targets while I shoot them. It lets them know I mean business.

I wear full body level IV armor, a black balaclava, MICH helmet, and Bolle goggles whenever I shoot. Even when I'm only shooting a .22 at jack rabbits. My .22 has a Surefire light, IR laser, and Trijicon ACOG. I summarily execute any wounded rabbits with my Cold Steel Recon Tanto. Each time I kill a rabbit, I carve another notch on my arm.

No smiling. No laughing. If you laugh, I'll cut you...

:p

Lonestar
August 10, 2006, 02:59 PM
Laughing = Bad

Shooting alone, looking PO'ed, and saying,"are you talking to me" to your target = Good

Zundfolge
August 10, 2006, 06:36 PM
next time I go to the range I'm going to think of Larry's post and I don't think there is any way I won't be laughing. :neener:

Taurus 66
August 11, 2006, 05:25 AM
It appeared to me the pistol pointed at the ceiling after recoil.

Did you mean before the recoil, like perhaps he anticipated the shot and was misled on his intended aim? It is natural for the barrel to point upward after the shot. I think this is a classic case of a damaged crown.

Follow the tracer round (not actually a tracer though you could visually follow it).

Low-Sci
August 11, 2006, 05:44 AM
All I can say that hasn't already been said about it is this: Perhaps we should be spending our time figuring out what they're actually doing and then deciding whether they're being careless rather than taking their demeanor as an indication or carelessness.

shell70634
August 11, 2006, 10:45 AM
How big a grin did you have on YOUR face when you took your first gun to the range?:D

KINGMAX
August 11, 2006, 10:57 AM
Is there something wrong with having a good time at the range, or is that a new saftey rule = NO smiling when the range is HOTT ????????? :D

Old Fud
August 11, 2006, 11:52 AM
I think they were at TargetMaster in Milpitas CA. (One of the girls was wearing a San Jose University sweatshirt). There are windows behind the camera so everybody in the store -- staff and customers alike -- has full view of them.
I believe you need permission to have a camera in there, so they had management's attention. Not to mention they seemed to be the only group in an 8-lane bay, which gave the staff something to focus upon.

I agree with the thought he had fired 2 .38 rounds followed by a .357. That seemed to be the point of the exercise. He wanted to see the difference and commented it felt about "twice".

The shooter had good muzzle control at all times, and was claiming near x-ring hits. Safe practice all round.

But I did see a couple things that had me wondering.
First, the girls didn't seem to be having fun.
Second, How come 5 people (camera-person included) only rented one lane? How come they didn't have at least two going?

You can rent firearms. The lanes were available. The girls were bored.
The guys didn't seem to care.
That's just WRONG!!!!!

Fud

Father Knows Best
August 11, 2006, 03:32 PM
The girls were bored.
The guys didn't seem to care.
That's just WRONG!!!!!

If the girls weren't having fun, they were free to leave. :evil:

Nathan Williams
August 11, 2006, 08:08 PM
I dont see anything dangerous here. Sure they were kind of goofy, but they looked to be enjoying themselves and thats all that counts. Bye the way dont any of you try to tell me you never got a good laugh at somebodys suprise when they shot a load thats a little hotter than expected.

Tsonda
August 11, 2006, 11:36 PM
Looks ok to me. But hey I was told in a class that I smiled to much.

Regards,

James

If you enjoyed reading about "With Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!