Does US Postal Service accept rifle delivery?

PDA

nathan
August 9, 2006, 02:03 PM
Just wondering if they do accept as I usually do UPS only but one has to go to their main hub as most UPS stores dont mess with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does US Postal Service accept rifle delivery?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
August 9, 2006, 02:07 PM
USPS will ship a rifle - just make sure that the packaging is NOT marked as to content, the rifle is unloaded, and you tell the counter person that the package contains an unloaded long gun with no hazardous materials.

fordfan485
August 9, 2006, 03:35 PM
I thought you had to be a FFL to send a firearm via USPS

AJ Dual
August 9, 2006, 03:38 PM
I thought you had to be a FFL to send a firearm via USPS

They only accept handguns from FFL's, and will only accept rifles from individuals when shipping to an FFL.

wdlsguy
August 9, 2006, 03:44 PM
They only accept handguns from FFL's

Manufacturers or dealers only. C&R FFLs should not attempt this.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001715----000-.html

EOD Guy
August 9, 2006, 03:55 PM
They only accept handguns from FFL's, and will only accept rifles from individuals when shipping to an FFL.

There is no USPS requirement to be shipping to an FFL. The shipment just has to be legal under GCA 68. Although individuals will likely be shipping to an FFL, there are legal exceptions.

Postmasters are specifically forbidden by the postal regulations from making a determination as to the legality of the shipment under the Gun Control Act.

nathan
August 9, 2006, 04:22 PM
SO USPS does accept rifle (private owners) like me to send to any within the US continent and its territories. Handguns are ok if sender is a FFL holder, right?

wdlsguy
August 9, 2006, 04:25 PM
"A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun."

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

nathan
August 9, 2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks. At least I wont have to drive like 20 miles just to mail a rifle at UPS hub center. USPS is just 8 miles away.

Zundfolge
August 9, 2006, 05:04 PM
I just shipped a rifle yesterday via USPS.

I had a signed copy of the FFL I was sending it to.

The girl behind the counter had never shipped a firearm of any kind before so she had to call her boss over to help her ... I imagine this is quite common so expect to spend a little extra time at the post office. Also, when packing it, if you can pack it in such a way that it can be easily opened and resealed that works best (they may want to inspect it ... the postman here did)

The folk there were friendly and as helpful as they could be about the whole thing (even though I had to explain the federal rules about gun shippment).

But honestly sending it Priority Mail was 1/3rd what it would cost to next day air it through UPS or FedEx.

EOD Guy
August 9, 2006, 05:48 PM
"A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun."

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Like a lot of the BATF FAQs on their web site, the answer is generally true but not complete. There are exceptions.

SO USPS does accept rifle (private owners) like me to send to any within the US continent and its territories. Handguns are ok if sender is a FFL holder, right?

Handguns can only be mailed between manufacturers and/or dealers. The sender and recipient must both be one or the other.

I just shipped a rifle yesterday via USPS.

I had a signed copy of the FFL I was sending it to.

The girl behind the counter had never shipped a firearm of any kind before so she had to call her boss over to help her ... I imagine this is quite common so expect to spend a little extra time at the post office. Also, when packing it, if you can pack it in such a way that it can be easily opened and resealed that works best (they may want to inspect it ... the postman here did)

The folk there were friendly and as helpful as they could be about the whole thing (even though I had to explain the federal rules about gun shippment).

But honestly sending it Priority Mail was 1/3rd what it would cost to next day air it through UPS or FedEx.

You could have sent it UPS or FedEx Ground for about the same shipping cost depending on the insurance coverage. USPS insurance rates are higher than UPS or FedEx. The Post Office can be more convienent in many cases, especially when you consider your gas costs and travel time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does US Postal Service accept rifle delivery?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!