How many survived the "bb gun" wars?

PDA

AK103K
May 6, 2003, 03:15 PM
Ok, I know this isnt really a PC subject these days, but back when we were kids, in the pre paint ball 60's, we used to have bb gun fights. This is one of the reasons we were never allowed to have one as "little" kids. My dad knew what was up. We had .22's at 4 or 5, but were not allowed to own a bb gun.(slingshots seemed to dissapear as fast as we made them too.) He was right, even though they shot something, we still treated them as toys. Of couse, there were plenty to get ahold of. :) Our favorie places were in a buddys basement and the woods down by the river. We mostly used the old spring cock pistols and leverguns, but this quickly escalated to bigger things as we got older. At the end we were using wax bullets and those Speer plastic bullets out of 38's. I'm here to tell you, they hurt like a bit*h when you get hit. We were in our later teens by then and getting dumber and dumber by the minute. :) Nobody ever got their eye put out, (we did wear goggles a lot of times) but we all had plenty of welts. Looking back on it now, it seems a little foolish, but then again, so do the bags full of REAL M80's and Cherry Bombs we used to walk around with. (aahh, the days of true freedom ;) ) So, anybody else remembering that "sting" as you read this? :)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many survived the "bb gun" wars?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
May 6, 2003, 03:18 PM
Ahh yes I am a decorated veteran of the BB wars. I can still feel the sting. Did you have that one kid who's parents bought him the cool pump BB gun and the little jerk would pump it up like a 1000 times the night before. Woe to you if you took a round from that.

Ahhh good times. Stupid but fun.

sidearm
May 6, 2003, 04:52 PM
I survived them through the 70's. Too fun. We used to dress up in layers and still get welts.

Thumper
May 6, 2003, 04:54 PM
You didn't want to get in range of my Crossman 760 circa 1980...

2nd Amendment
May 6, 2003, 05:01 PM
Decorated survivor of the BB Wars. Retired my commision when a BB snapped the lense of my high-tech eye protection(old pair of "aviator" shades).

MikeK
May 6, 2003, 05:15 PM
Played in the 60's. Never got hit, but did hit some others. As someone else said - stupid but fun.

Hkmp5sd
May 6, 2003, 05:38 PM
Been there, done that. Wore out more than one BB gun during loyal service in the wars.

waynzwld
May 6, 2003, 05:43 PM
I survived many a B-B gun fight. We wern't complacent with just B-B guns, every year we would have bottle rocket fights which eventually progressed to very dangerous when some started using large rockets.

How no one lost an eye or suffered severe wounds or even death is a mystery.

Feanaro
May 6, 2003, 05:50 PM
Never been in a BB war myself. My father wasn't stupid enough to give me one till he thought I was past that. :)

My brother was another story. I swear he was trying to off me. I survived though.

JPM70535
May 6, 2003, 06:23 PM
You had to have been there in the "Fifties" to understand our mentality. We were invincible and nothing as puny as a BB was ever going to cause us harm. Then one day my Buddy got me in the back from about 10 feet away with his pump Daisy. Still have the hole in my back from that one. Shortly after that we smartened up and took to shooting rats and birds and various and sundry other targets of oppertunity. No one ever got seriously hurt for which I remain eternally grateful.

Sisco
May 6, 2003, 06:29 PM
My Dad wouldn't let me have a BB gun :mad:
He knew me well enough to know I'd probably get in trouble with it. He did buy me a pump action .22 though. Figured I wouldn't be shooting it at street lights & neighborhood pets. No lights or pets but I did take out a tin can in the back yard once. :what:

zahc
May 6, 2003, 06:30 PM
Bottle rocket wars RULE! esp. in standing corn. Spudguns can be interesting too (long ranges only). I like trying to catch the spuds in a baseball mitt. I ALWAYS wear my trust Scott goggles. Dangerous games.:evil:

M. Jager
May 6, 2003, 06:49 PM
Yep I survived bb gun wars
And paintball wars without masks
And walnut fights (the big green ones hurt the worse)
And apple fights
And bottle rocket wars (more dangerous to the shooter than the the target)
But the absolute worse was Roman Candle fights - those HURT
Also survived many misadventures in my misspent youth that I won't mention here.......:evil:

cratz2
May 6, 2003, 06:50 PM
My mom or dad never got me any sort of gun ever. But my mother allowed one of her friends to give me three BB guns one day. Her youngest son was going off to college and I guess she was passing the torch as it were. One was the Red Ryder but without the forearm and one was a really cool lever action that actually had an engraved nickle receiver and you actually loaded through the loading port as you would a centerfire rifle. The other was basically a junker but was a pump so that's the one I used the most.

When we moved, my grandmother threw all three of them away or gave them to the movers or somesuch... God bless her. ;)

Never toook too serious of a hit but on the same day, one kid did get me in the leg enough that I bled for sure. And later the SAME day, the SAME kid threw a firecracker of some sort right at my ear. I heard that he now lives with a guy that looks quite a bit like me. :cool: Guess he was just working out some frustrations. :p

benEzra
May 6, 2003, 06:56 PM
I think I got my BB gun (a Daisy lever-action) when I was 6 or 7, and barely big enough to cock it. Never shot anyone with it, nor was I ever shot at), but I dispatched hordes of imaginary enemies in the woods behind my parents' house. (I even had a large vine to swing from--I was BLESSED.) Assaults on/defenses of the tree fort were also daily occurrences. Never shot any birds, either, but I did take out a bumblebee in flight one time from a range of a few feet (boy, was I proud of that one).

I was, however, a highly decorated admiral in the BB/Plastic Model Naval Wars. I used to buy plastic model battleships, etc., build them, float them in the ditch, and sink them. Even experimented with gluing styrofoam behind the "hull plating" to act as armor, and occasionally used fireworks (safely) as well. Filling a styrofoam egg carton with 12 small rocks and then sinking it by shooting out the individual compartments was also fun.

My college roommate used his BB gun as artillery in outdoor "Green Army Men" wars.

Best of all was the friend who had a sawed-off pellet gun. Literally. He hacksawed off the stock behind the pistol grip and cut the barrel (2-piece) to about 10", stabilizing the inner barrel with electrical tape. It was great fun (and totally legal), but met its demise when he shot it one time in the woods and the inner barrel went flying downrange . . .

Mal H
May 6, 2003, 07:10 PM
Yep, I gotta admit you can put me and my friends in the 'very stupid' category when we were young (mid 1950's to early 60's). BB gun fights would have been the mildest form of stupidity we engaged in. Ever stood behind a tree while a friend fired a 22 at a tree next to you to see what it sounded like? Ever fired cherry bombs out of a home made cannon at boats on the Potomac? Ever been fired at with a 12 Ga (#9 shot at about 100 yards) just to see what it felt like? I've done em all. The 12 Ga shot did nothing, it just sort of rained down on me like water, kinda cool.

My friends father was a Capt. on the Alexandria, VA Police Dept. (sort of like the preacher's son is the wildest of the bunch syndrome). We would actually shoot down pigeons with a 12 Ga in Alexandria! If you know the place, you know how completely numbskull a concept like that is.

Today we would be buried under the jail awaiting trial for terrorism even though hurting anyone, much less ourselves, was actually the furthest thing from our minds (what little we had at that time).

Bowlcut
May 6, 2003, 07:21 PM
Ah yes the good old days sonny....pull up a chair hear some of these war stories.

Im only minorly decorated veteran of the BB wars. They were on their down fall, we were only left there to pull the POW's out at the time I got in. So only a few skirmish's before the war drew to an end. But not before a few fearce battles insued trying to grab those POW's. We had to pull out the incendary derices and a few with their concussion granades got a few licks in

Back in the mid 80's when parents finaly wised up and didnt give their kids weapons....Or let us play totaly unsupervised with bottle rocketks, black cats, fire crackers, and the sorts :)

Darrin
May 6, 2003, 07:28 PM
My brother and I only had one BB gun, so no wars.

We did, however, have a set of lawn darts..... :evil:

telewinz
May 6, 2003, 07:36 PM
Had Army Games all the time till I shot a tree next to my buddy and it bounced -off and hit him in the eye. Woke both of us up real fast. Never again. No serious harm was done, told his mother (and me) that he had a "cold in his eye":eek:

I was a decorated "veteran", built some of the best dugouts made by man. Ask me about our Viking battles with trash-can lids and dead/dried river reeds for spears and war clubs. Oh ! the humanity:what:

Kharn
May 6, 2003, 08:24 PM
I wasnt allowed even a gun-shaped watergun, I got made fun of by all the kids on the block for that one, nor did I get any cap guns while I was a kid. I didnt even get my first pellet pistol until I was 20 (but I bought an Ar15 at 19 :D ). I guess you could say my gun collection is over-compensating for a childhood devoid of cap/BB/Nerf gun wars.

Kharn

JHG
May 6, 2003, 08:29 PM
Ah yes... B-B Gun Wars... we would "play" Army and shoot each other with B-B Guns. Lob in the occasional Hedge Apple that had been bored out and had a cherry bomb inserted. Talk about a mess!! When those guys detonated you got covered with a sticky milky mess, not to mention that it hurt! We had a 1 acre empty lot across the street that had more fox holes and trenches than the battle fields in WW1. We had huge caches off Black Walnuts (the big green babies). There were over twenty Black Walnut trees in my yard..

those were the days :))

We played hard in Alabama..

roscoe
May 6, 2003, 08:34 PM
Plenty of BB-gun battles. My best friend had a freon-powered fully-automatic machine pistol. He would basically sit in the woods till we came past and hose us all down. We took to walking backwards, wearing jean jackets, into the withering fire. Finally someone lost a tooth, of all things, to a BB.

280PLUS
May 6, 2003, 08:41 PM
dirt bombs and rocks were all the weaponry we could muster, with garbage can lids as shields and ramshackle forts hastily thrown up we had some formidable battles...

:evil:

we did have a kid who would stuff the end of his pop gun with dirt and kinda get a shotgun effect out of it....:what:

coonan357
May 6, 2003, 08:45 PM
with 20 pumps and 20 bb's held in place by a pellet you could make a impromtu crosman760 shotgun .. and homemade hydrogen ballons and flares..:D

zahc
May 6, 2003, 08:58 PM
"Ever stood behind a tree while a friend fired a 22 at a tree next to you to see what it sounded like?"

:what:

"Ever been fired at with a 12 Ga (#9 shot at about 100 yards) just to see what it felt like?"

I always wanted to do that:D

22x9
May 6, 2003, 09:01 PM
Lieutenant Overlord Space Ranger reporting for duty. Sir!

Yep. Survived the BB & Pellet gun wars. Then re-upped for the Ninja Boken Wars and the finally decided to get out of serving a tour or two in the Fireworks Military Manuevers.

Eventually sold the BB guns, broke the wooden swords and disabled the Paintball guns.

**sigh** Those were the days **sigh**

But never dared have "wars" with firearms. Our dads would have whooped our butts with the switch, the paddle, the belt and then turned us over to Grandma or Grandpa for their turn.

Robby from Long Island
May 6, 2003, 09:41 PM
About 15 years ago a small lump in my thigh started to get infected from two weeks of constant scratching. My wife insisted I go and have a doctor look at it to find the problem.

Turns out I still had a BB inbedded in there since the mid 50's when one of the local "hoods" shot me up close with his BB gun. Unfortunately, he was the only one who had one so my buddies and I were constantly in his sights when we passed his house.

I also remember working summers as a youngster on a farm in Vermont. The owner had about a 1,000 acres in White River Jct. that we were constantly doing chores on.

On our time off, my buddy and I would grab a pair of .22's and go out to this field that had a couple of big rocks on it. They were about 5 feet tall and maybe 60 yards apart.

We would then each position ourselves behind one of the rocks and take turns shooting at the other guys rock. I would shoot 1 round and then he would take his turn shooting at mine. It was great listening to the richochet's. We probably fired at least 20 rounds apiece before we had to get back to work. Hard to believe how stupid we were.

Ah,......the good old days.

mdsteele
May 6, 2003, 09:46 PM
Yep, survived them. Those were the days.(until a richochet caught my sister in the face) Had to give it up then.

Always fun though.

Now her friend in the barn loft, now let me tell you......................................................................................

Never mind, it was the end of innocence!:D

Don't blame me, the subject brought back memories.

Subby
May 7, 2003, 12:46 AM
Aye, the good old days. I still have a scar in the middle of my chest from when my brother shot me with my own Daisy 860. I was helping my brother and his buddy steal some wood from a neighbor to build a tree house. I had my arms full of wood, I look up, my brother has *my* bb gun pointed at my chest. He looked at me, smiled, and shot. For years after that, people would laugh at me when I was at the beach, because the bb hit exactly between my two nipples, and the scar was sort of raised a bit, so it actually looked like I had two regular nipples, and a deformed one inbetween. 8 inches higher it would have probably killed me, or at least caused some serious injury. Myself and another buddy would snake some shotgun shells from our dads, and tape them to the muzzles of our bb guns and shoot out the primers. We once got into a bb gun fight with some kids from the local projects. It was probably about their 8 vs. our 2. I hit one from about ten feet away in the chest, and threw two down a slate dump, about 50 feet into a creek. It was my finest moment as a military commander. :) Not to mention the thousands of birds we killed. We actually came up with a game whereas each specie of bird had a different point value, sparrows 1, robins 2, blue jays 5, etc. Bluebirds and woodpeckers were off limits. Just one more thing to answer for when I hit the pearly gates.

Sub

atek3
May 7, 2003, 01:08 AM
you guys are dangerous, went I was a youngin, we took the safe route and only fired bottle rockets at each other.

atek3

Feanaro
May 7, 2003, 02:15 AM
I did have bottle rocket wars. Ahhh, I remember those days. Rockets whizzing by, ducking behind anything at all. MY father cursing me out, groundings... now the memory is turning sour. :mad:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
May 7, 2003, 03:53 AM
Yeah, I barely survived the bb gun wars. The day after Christmas when I was about 12 my brother caught me with a very lucky shot from his Daisy level action Winchester '94 lookasortalike and shattered one of my front (permanent) teeth and seriously fractured the other without actually breaking it. I'm on my second crown on a 3 1/2 inch long post that runs up into the bony prominence of my nasopharynx. That's kinda like saying I have a spike in my head that holds a metal and ceramic tooth in place. It made for some very anxious moments about 15 years later when I punched the steering wheel of my sports car with my noggin when I had a bad car accident. Believe me, it's no fun when on those rare times that it gives me trouble and I have to get it removed and refitted.

Yeah, we knew better.

That's why I'm so fanatical about safety now.

I just slice apples before eating them now.

Regards,
Rabbit.

kannonfyre
May 7, 2003, 04:24 AM
Yep, earned my strips in the pellet gun wars. T'was fun building cardboard forts and exchanging fire with rival neighbourhood "gangs" using singshots, air soft guns and rubber band pistols. The local drains also doubled as a trench complex. Kids sure do tolerate a high level of filth! :barf:

The most "adventurous" thing me and my friends involved incendiary devices and not BB guns though....when we were 12 we built a paper bridge on the PVC pipes behind the science block of our grade school. We set the bridge on fire with scant consideration to the flamable gases in those pipes.
:uhoh:

Looking back, I wonder how I wasn't seriously hurt.

IRONFIST
May 7, 2003, 04:44 AM
BB guns lost some of their mystique when I got popped just under my left lower eyelid sometime in 1976. I was 10 years old. I thought I was blind for a few seconds and carried a little dimple there for a couple months. Caught a huge, HARD dirt clod in the nose 2 years later. Breaking my nose wasnt the worst... It was thrown by a 10 year-old neighbor girl! She had an arm on her and I never saw it coming. Damn dirt clod plowed into my face and down I went. The pain, Oh god, the humiliation! I didnt talk to her for a month. Those were the days....

Michael in Sandy, OR

mummac
May 7, 2003, 05:12 AM
We used to throw rocks and pine cones at eachother. That smarted. Never had BB gun wars, though my dad did shoot me in the rear a few times. He still does that with the pneumatic brad gun.

foghornl
May 7, 2003, 08:08 AM
My favorite "bottle rocket war" trick..

Our house had 2 spigots on the back, and one in front. Dad had lots of hoses and nozzles, sprinklers, etc, so we would hook up 2 in back and 1 in front, and the next-door house had 1 spigot right at the corner.

We would fire a rocket at one of the other teams guys, and when he ran around the corner of my house, he got soaked with 3 or 4 hoses......wet bottle rockets don't work so good.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Nando Aqui
May 7, 2003, 09:33 AM
Neighborhood Summer War, 1958. Marianao, Havana – Cuba.

Our squad came from 62nd street through about 72nd, from Colegio de Belen to 31st avenue and north about three streets. The dozen or so of us were 12 through 14 years old. I was 12.

The enemy came from well north of 31st avenue and west. I don’t remember how old they were, but some appeared quite a bit older than we were. I don’t know how many of them there were.

Side Bar: We did not call ourselves gangs (pandillas) because there were real gangs whose members were 15 to 18 years old and up. These were the ‘older’ guys and their fights were bloody. No firearms, mind you, but just about everything else. Yet, the most common fights were fistfights. Later, the gangs became more bellicose and the use of knives, brass knuckles, chains, and such became more prominent.

Back to my story - There were no restrictions on weapons, but no firearms were ever used. Most common were Red Ryder BB guns and bottle-cap rubber band powered launchers. I had a Falke-50 pellet rifle; one of only two pellet rifles known to be used. We also used firecrackers as ‘grenades’; the red ones, about 1/4" diameter and two inches long that came in packs of 80.

The ‘Northern’ guys just dared us to fight them. We accepted. The battle was primarily around our turf and along the railroad tracks next to the Belen school. It lasted all day Saturday and Sunday until about noon. We scored more hits than they did, so they gave up and went home. I fired the last shot. Pure luck:

Close to Sunday noon, two of my friends and I were pursuing the ‘leader’ of the other group. We were running north on 64th. As we reached 31st, he hid behind a truck parked on the corner on the opposite side of 64th. I saw him run behind the truck, and told my two friends to cross 64th and run towards him. When he saw my two friends, he took off across 31st. By then, I was standing behind a steel light post on the opposite corner, and he never saw me.

I remember trying to aim at the knee of his front leg when I pulled the trigger. He went down, rolled, got up and continued running. When he reached the other side of 31st avenue, he stopped. He bent over, raised his pant leg, and appeared to look at his ankle. “¡Me tiraste con un pellet en la pierna!” he yelled at me. (You shot me on the leg with a pellet.) I got scared. That guy was big and probably about 16 or 17 years old. I thought he was going to come after me, so I loaded another pellet as fast as I could on my break-barrel Falke rifle.

Even though I don’t think he even saw that I had reloaded, he just took two steps towards us (my two friends were now standing next to me) and yelled, “Ustedes ganaron esta vez; pero no la próxima.” (You won this time; but not next time.) and he went on his way – what a relief! By the way, there was no next time.

I got hit once, Saturday, just under my chest on my right side. I still have the pea-sized (flat) scar. My closest call was after picking up five firecrackers and throwing them back at them. When I approached the sixth firecracker, I saw that it was about to go off, so instead of bending over to pick it up, I tried to step on it. It went off when my shoe was just above it. This happened on Saturday as well.

I remember a lot more incidents of this ‘summer war’, but don’t want to bore you anymore.

Alex

P.S. My mom and dad never knew about any of this, or I would have been grounded for life.
Anyway, three years later, during the Bay of Pigs, while working with the underground against Castro, the G2 secret police captured me and I became a political prisioner. The interrogation sessions were not fun at all. Being 15 years old saved my life.
In July 1961 I was able to 'leave' Cuba and was sent to Saint Vincent's Villa, an orphanage in Fort Wayne, IN... and this is a whole another story.

dongun
May 7, 2003, 09:49 AM
I enlisted to fight in the BB gun wars in high school. One afternoon, my cousin and I were riding in the back of a pickup with my brother driving. We were standing, shooting over the cab, at a friend on a motorcycle. :what: We were flying low down a dirt road, when my brother took a sharp turn. My cousin and I fell out, with him riding me into the dirt road. Landed on my face, literally. Emergency room, stitches, road rash down one side of my face and head. Ended the BB gun wars. Still have the scars. My IQ doubled in the few milliseconds between dislodging from the truck, watching the gravel flying up toward me, and plowing the road with my face.

Professional idiots on a closed course. Do not attempt.

Russ
May 7, 2003, 09:58 AM
Even more fun were firecracker fights. We'd stand 15 to 20 feet apart and throw firecrackers and M-80's at each other. We had some ringing in the ears but no serious injury.

Redlg155
May 7, 2003, 10:24 AM
Ahh..how things have changed since we have lost the immortality of youth!

I was the supreme fighter when it came to BB Gun wars! Everyone had ol pump rifles but I had a C02 pistol and a Benjamin air gun! :D

Good Shooting
Red

H Romberg
May 7, 2003, 11:09 AM
My friends and I used to shoot wooden matches at each other. Less weight, plus more drag = penetration, and therefore less danger we thought as young gun geeks. You could pull the progectile out if it stuck in too. Plus, if you shot the "strike anywhere" ones head first they made a little pop as the things ignited. It was cool till we upgraded from Daisy guns to Crossmans and Beemans. The first time anybody scored a hit (unstable little things), I had to pull a match out of my buddy's arm while he tried not to move, bled like a stuck pig, and kept talking about how I'd ruined his shirt. The thing had buried itself 3/4 of the way into his biceps, and trying to disinfect the puncture wound without waking up his parents was a 4-wheeler. After that, we stuck with barn rats as targets. Good thing we'd just gotten our first-aid merit badges. :D

keyhole
May 7, 2003, 11:15 AM
BB guns, bottle rockets, roman candles, we used them all. When one of us too a bb just below the eye, we dicided that it was becoming too dangerous.

Hmmmmmm, like everyone else, I wonder how we ever survived without the government, OSHA, and others saving us from ourselves.

2nd Amendment
May 7, 2003, 11:56 AM
Y'all talk about bottle rocket wars like they are a thing of the past? I'm still a Reservist in the Bottle Rocket Infantry at 38. Had a great battle in the middle of town last year on the 4th. :D Second degree burns don't hurt THAT bad if you've got aloe handy.

pytron
May 7, 2003, 12:17 PM
I was never a participant in BB or bottle rocket wars. None of my friends had BB guns so we just punched paper and cans. We just launched bottle rockets at the sky and burned stuff up (lots of paint thinner, hair spray and gasoline). I guess I had a sheltered childhood :)

One of my close friends is now blind in his right eye due to a bottle rocket hit. Basically he lost the lens, so he can see some very fuzzy lights but that's it. Happened when he was about 16. I think he gave up bottle rocket wars after that. He was also big into BB gun wars. He had a pump gun that looked just like an M-16. I always thought that was a sweet looking BB gun.

-Pytron

RTFM
May 7, 2003, 01:00 PM
Yah, man those were the days. Hot August 3 to 4 layers of clothes. I had the co2 pistol and the 1000 pump BB gun, also tried to be a “sniper” with the .177 pellet gun. Found that bottle rockets were better for the sheer terror factor rather than actual damage. And I thought I was the O-N-L-Y kid on the face of the earth that used bottle rockets. HA! Good to see great minds think alike.

Penforhire
May 7, 2003, 01:26 PM
Feh! BB's ? I got five stitches in the forehead from "rock" throwing wars. Yes, children can be really stupid. I think my friends and family were too poor for BB guns at the time. Mom sure was pissed but I think I caught my dad smiling.

TheFrontRange
May 7, 2003, 01:45 PM
Count me in a BB-gun-war survivor, too, from the '82-'84 era. Unlike most of my previous firearms, I still own my entire "battery" of BB and pellet guns...my first Daisy Model 1897 lever-action, a Daisy 840, a Daisy 881 (an abomination of the 880 where Daisy just did a really bad de-blueing job and stuck a 4x scope on top...I later sawed off most of the barrel of this thing after reading one-too-many issues of "Gung Ho" and "Soldier of Fortune" and the like!), a Marksman Model 1010, a Crosman 1600, and the wonderful old Crosman Model 38T that I always dreamed as being a Model 29 a'la "Dirty Harry" hahaha...

I only got popped twice with BBs. We used our airguns more as "strike weapons" against the teenagers who came out and parked in the woods near where we lived. Ughhh...we were SO dumb! But we did have what seemed like a good time. Had a buddy who also owned a compound bow...once we taped a Cyalume chemical lightstick to a field arrow and shot it across the front of a parked car out there...wow, it was like a homemade tracer or something zipping through the night! :)

May 7, 2003, 02:21 PM
This thread was a laugh. I think I did most everything mentioned. BB Gun fights, rock fights, apple fights, walnut fights, dirt clod fights, wrist rocket fights, bottle rocket fights, standing downrange while someone was shooting a shotgun........
I have been shot by BBs so many times it is incredible. Have also been shot by wax bullets.

Probably the funniest thing of them all was the time we were having a rock fight. I was using the sloped edge of a driveway for cover. Someone threw a rock that just missed my head. It wizzed by and hit a bee nest we wern't aware of and I started getting stung. I jumped up covered in bees and the other guys opened fire. I got hit in the side of the head with a big rock that knocked me half senseless while I was getting stung over and over.
That evening after my dad got home from work, we had to go to the funeral home. I had a black eye and my left ear was about half the size of my head. Of course all the adults at the funeral home kept bothering me about why I was all beat up.
My dad used to say that our family had to go on a summer vactation just so I could get healed up.

I remember another time I was standing with two other guys who were brothers. We all had BB guns. The two brothers were facing each other and talking to each other. One noticed that the other one had his BB gun pointed right at his chest and he said, Oh, you are pointing your BB gun at me, and elevated the muzzle of his own BB gun and shot the other one in the chest. What he didn't know was that his mother was standing right behind him. I had to go home then.

Brian Williams
May 7, 2003, 02:52 PM
YES
Rifleman
ret SGT
112 bb squad 5th reg

Smoke
May 7, 2003, 03:07 PM
I survived. Not many wars, more like gun fights.

My brother and I used to shoot at each other. Not any other kids around.

We had those imitation Colt six shooters that you could watch the BB fly out. Still hurt a good bit.

Gus Dddysgrl
May 7, 2003, 03:11 PM
Hmm the only "bb gun wars" I was in were when I spent the night at boys houses. We'd play in the backyard, but we were always on the same team and mutilated all the bad guys we could find. :D We also played after school when all the girls had gone home and it was the teachers kids left(which included a couple of guys in my class and me. I was not about to play the maiden in distress. I had to help get the bad guys) :neener: Otherwise I lived in the city where gun wars is not really all the accepted.

Gus

oh yeah and when dad got his airsoft gun for Christmas, the first thing he shot was my behind. I was still in my PJs and he was only like 10 feet away so.... I think that was the only time I ever got hit. Otherwise I was good at not being shot. Now my siblings and I occasionally have airsoft wars when my parents are around cause mom's scared one of us will get hurt. heehee well then she shouldn't have bought it. :evil:

P-35/53
May 7, 2003, 03:16 PM
Survivor of the BB wars and the Bottle Rocket wars.If my Father had ever known would not have survived that. My brother still brings up the fact I shot him in the throat every year or so - you would think 35 years or so and he might forgive.

oweno
May 7, 2003, 04:50 PM
Ah, many many BB-gun fights in the dingles and woods near home. My weapon of choice was a Red Ryder carbine (and no, that movie notwithstanding, it had no built-in compass). Held 500 BBs but didn't shoot as hard as friend Bart's Daisy King model which, if memory serves, held 50.

"No aiming above the belt!" was the main rule which we held to pretty well.

And yes, we made slingshots all the time (mentioned in a previous reply). Here's the deal on them for the younger readers.

1. Cut a slingshot sized "Y" from a tree.

2. Go to the local gas station and ask if you could have an inner tube from the scrap pile out back. Inner tubes were, in those days, made from real rubber so they were elastic. Modern tubes, made of synthetic rubber, are not elastic.

3. Find an old shoe and cut out the tongue. This became the pocket for the stone.

4. Assemble, tying the parts together with string and you're good to go.

You could never hit much as stones are not perfectly round so they'd curve in flight.

Owen

standingbear
May 7, 2003, 04:54 PM
had the best place to shoot them.was in a large hilly area,wooded and trails everywhere.we picked teams and 1 group got to go ahead and get ready while the other got to seek them out.we used those marksman bb pistols that shot darts or bbs and a rifle that looked just like a winchester,even loaded the bbs from the side.anyhow,was supposed to be below the waist and no darts but..shot with them darts and they stuck.my sisters boyfriend got shot right in the tip of his middle finger flippin the bird around a tree.was always funny till one got you.we even came up with stuffing things in our pants to ease the sting.didnt work well cause it made one fall down trying to run away and once you fell,you were dog meat..lol

sm
May 7, 2003, 05:09 PM
Couldn't afford a bb gun, neither could my running buddies. We did do some yardwork for a cool old man, whom gave us an old one as part payment, we shared until it was stolen, shot rats at the dump.

No instead we had slingshot wars. Dad made me one and I in turn made my running buds slingshots. Fork from a tree, red inner tube rubber, leather form a busted football. We made 'extras", in case ours were taken away...like when we had sling shot wars using persimmons...or well...taxi cab lights had a tendency to "bust" apart on the top of taxis...or when we launched "cherry bombs"...poor didn't mean we didn't have fun...or get into trouble;)

Rogelio
November 19, 2003, 07:51 PM
Now here is the thing...my last pellet war was about 1 year..and I am 28 years old!:)

We have never used water rockets (would love to get them explained) but we used our very own grenades...they were just a plastic soda bottle (the small ones, abou 1/4 liter) filled to half with dry ice and then loaded with hot water...screw the cap on and throw!They had a loud BOOM and a little white cloud...although we got some scratches, it is fun!! (ALWAYS wore full face mask...)

While writing this post I am calling my friends for a get together war...:neener: NEENER NEENER!!!

rayra
November 19, 2003, 08:15 PM
learned my lesson early. Firing my classic BB-gun at a small rodent in the corner of a room in an abandoned house. 3-surface ricochet (floor-wall-wall) and smote myself in the forehead. Almost 'shot my eye out'.

geekWithA.45
November 19, 2003, 08:30 PM
The first battle of the first great neighborhood BB war was _just shaping up_.

The girls had dug in behind the lawn gnomes, and that stupid donkey/cart statue.

The boys were stealthily advancing. Just as I took my first shot,

My dad drove up, immediately figured out what was going on, paddled my butt, and confiscated my bb gun.

I think he thought it more disturbing that we were shooting at girls than anything else, and the fact that they had better bb guns than us didn't make a bit of difference.

His line of reasoning was that you Don't Hit Girls, Even If They Hit You First, and figured it applied to shooting as well.

I didn't see it for 3 more years.

RSKING45
November 19, 2003, 09:16 PM
Been there and can still remember the sting from the bb . I remember many times getting off the bus, walking down our long driveway and being ambushed by my brother and his friends. Ill tell ya, he got his fair share of bb stings on his ???.Looking back now, It was pretty stupid. I havent told my sons about them either,i dont want to put any ideas in there head

Gewehr98
November 19, 2003, 09:55 PM
Even though we almost never abided by the 3-pump rule. 10 pumps, most of the time.

Then there were the Polish Cannon/Tennis Ball wars. It's amazing we kids even survived to adulthood. :D

AZLibertarian
November 19, 2003, 10:07 PM
Yep. My brother and I regularly fought each other, and the other neighborhood boys with our BB guns. In our early teens, we had snowmobiles and mini-bikes, and therefore helmets with visors. By that point we'd developed enough sense to wear the helmets along with as many layers as we could manage. But it still stung.

We made the modern day equivalent of a spud gun out of soda cans, duct tape, and lighter fluid. It would shoot a tennis ball over 100 yards...sometimes flaming. Although it was inaccurate as hell, we even shot it at each other--that is, until my brother blew the breech end of it off and he was left with flaming lighter fluid running down his right side. No injuries--just some singed jeans, but we wised up a little and decided this wasn't the best idea.

I guess the dumbest thing I was involved in occured one Saturday while in Junior High. A bunch of us met at the school to play football, and someone had the bright idea that we ought to go steal a couple of watermelons from the farmers field nearby. Of course, the farmer didn't like it at all, and I knew it was wrong to begin with, but off we went. What we didn't know was that the farmer kept a shottie loaded with rock salt. Looking back at it, the farmer took a long range shot, and so none of us got all that much salt, but man that stuff sure stings. We did quit stealing his watermelons though.

I remember getting a chemistry set when I was 10 or 11. The first thing I did was look up the recipe for gunpowder, and I quickly used up all the components. I guess I did some of the other experiments, but I never had as much fun as I had with that gunpowder I'd made myself.

Yeah, it's amazing we didn't seriously hurt ourselves. Some here have admitted to injuries that I'd have to now admit were preventable. Maybe the way we raise our kids now is better...I don't know. This last summer my youngest daughter (14) skinned her knee sliding into second base while playing softball. My wife and I were kinda amazed that she made such a big deal about her knee, but in context, kids don't take risks like we (or at least, my wife and I) used to. I don't know which approach is better...under-supervision, or over-protectiveness.

Black92LX
November 19, 2003, 10:48 PM
yup we played those. and i am only 20. i got hit with a few pellets that really sucks.

Kim
November 19, 2003, 10:55 PM
Well--My brother had a bee -bee gun but I never had one as his sister. But one neat thing was that there was an Army surplus store in our small town and we all (my brother and 3 sisters) had full camo and some kind of large de-milled shell to play ARMY with. It just happened that the highway we lived on was the one the Arkansas National Guard (HWY 22) took to their Fort near Fort Smith for their summer training. We would drees up in full "combat gear--with our shell and bee -bee gun) and camp in the ditch beside the road when the convoy drove by. We saluted they saluted and honked their horns. I wonder if any children get such fun from such a simple thing nowadays?

Fred Thompson
November 19, 2003, 11:35 PM
Who did all those stupid things as a kid...BB guns, bottle rockets...ah, the memories. A friend of mine and I used to shoot 22's at each other from behind trees also. It's a wonder I'm here today, with only Minor scars...lol...:D

LCSNM
November 20, 2003, 12:05 AM
I remember the days! We had the rule, no aiming for the face AND sometimes the aim wasn't that good. Think I had a Daisy or Red Ryder, let's see that's back in 44 or 45. I was 6 or 7. Times sure have changed.

Acquired a big boil type thing on the back of my neck. Was taken to the Dr, Lanced it and lo and behold, an imbedded BB.

Folks trusted us more , we had more latitude in exploring, amusing ourselves, after the chores. Thinking back, I'm surprised, I had the latitude I did have. Small Illinois town, gravel pit to swim in, Fox River to fish in and camp nearby in the woods. Cooked our own meals over a campfire, sometimes didn't come out too well, but ate it anyway.

Took a shortcut via the RR Bridge to cross the river. Got caught midway with little train coming. My friends wanted to make a run for it, I convinced them we could slip, break a leg or fall into the river, best to climb down off the tracks lay down on the girders and hang on for dear life, until the train passed over. OF COURSE, the train crew saw us , stopped and chewed us out big time, than moved on. Folks didn't find out about it for about two months. EVER HAD TO GO AND CUT YOUR OWN SWITCH? Let me tell you those light thin switches hurt on the bare legs. OH, the good times.

November 20, 2003, 12:19 AM
I was just over at my buddy Joe's house. He mentioned that he owned a Sheridan pellet rifle. I asked to see it. He went out to the shed in the yard and got it and we were plinking at some stuff in the yard. He was wearing shorts and said, you see this big knot on my right calf ? That is what this thing does with 10 pumps.
My buddy George still has a pellet in the back of his head that I put there close to 30 years ago.

natedog
November 20, 2003, 12:25 AM
Yep, just the BB's have been upped from .177 to .68.....

It's called paintball :cool:

clubsoda22
November 20, 2003, 12:32 AM
and one day it happened, on the first floor of my dorm. No RA's in sight, a desk slid out of a room into a hall, then one on the opposing end. The gunmen emerged, armed with airsoft, face coverd by his chemestry lab goggles. After about 10 minutes a lot of people got their $15 spring guns confiscated by campus safety, but all agreed it was worth it.

c-bag
November 20, 2003, 02:48 AM
If i had all the money me and my freinds spent on BB guns, paintball, toy/cap guns ect. over the years I could probably buy a REAL AR-15 and some ammo.:rolleyes:

stevelyn
November 20, 2003, 08:01 AM
Daisy Golden Eagles, miners' hardhats w/faceshields and goggles, two pairs of pants, and winter coats.......in mid summer in WV.
Yes I, we survived. Other battles included black walnuts, apples, cowpies imbedded with crabapple shrapnel, and home made archery. Forces sometimes called a truce to attack common enemies such a newly discovered hornets nests.
Currently a gunner in the Alaska Battery of the Idaho Russet Artillery....and any other produce I can find to shove down the barrel.:D

Holly76201
November 20, 2003, 08:51 AM
I was TWICE, not once mind you, but TWICE the victim of my Brother and his bb gun. He managed to convince the 'rents that the first one was an accidental richochet, that just happened to hit me on the side of the bridge of the nose. About 6 months before that I had stuck a fork in the OTHER eye so they were freaked, but I see fine out of both eyes.
The second wound was in my tushy. THAT one was a deliberate, vengance shot. It cost him a butt-whoopin and 3 months w/o the bb gun.
When I think of all the ways we injured one another over the years.... did I tell y'all about the time he dumped a WHOLE bottle of deer lure in my waist length hair?:uhoh:
Holly

BeLikeTrey
November 20, 2003, 09:05 AM
Can't believe you guys haven't tried small pistol primers in your .177 cal pellet guns. great effect!!! really puts out a bang. looks neat at night too.
Had a mishap with a not so well made spud cannon in the artillery division. SOMEBODY decided to paint parts of the gun BEFORE glueing the parts together. I was loading for the operator so standing behind him, I thought I was safe. Boy was I wrong.
Standing on his parent's back porch we were demolishing the enemy. One round decided to build up the right amount of backpressure, and with a blast of flame to make a Light Anti-Tank Weapon jealous, the whole rear of the spud gun came at me. (I still don't know how i dodged it) After dodging this thing, it blows through the bay style window overlooking the back porch. That was a blast to replace the window.

Jick42
November 20, 2003, 10:04 AM
Not only did me and my friend have BB gun wars, but we always made sure we stocked up on Roman Candles every 4th of july to last us well into the year. I remember we must have been about 13, The state had huge gravel piles just no more than a couple hundred feet from our houses. We would take our BB Guns down there and our Roman candles, we would set the candles up as if they were cannons, and we would imagine it was the days of the Civil War. Now let me tell you, i got struck by both many times, and i can say that a BB has NOTHING on a hot burning ball of fire!:fire:

tcsd1236
November 20, 2003, 10:54 AM
Yes, I did that occasionally..I also almost lost an eye, with a bb hitting me in the eyelid..an inch lower and would have been no more eye. Goggles? Didn't even know what they were at that age.

Ed
November 20, 2003, 11:07 AM
I remember those, and making handles on pipes to launch bottle rockets, and making bows and arroews out of bamboo and shooting them at each other and every kid had a good sized stick/sword, and wrist rocket wars. Now I have a young son, what am I in for?:rolleyes:

Ed
November 20, 2003, 11:20 AM
Oh yeah, Did anyone else tape fireworks to the end of arrows, have someone light them and you shoot them from your bow so you could be like the Dukes of Hazzard?:D

clubsoda22
November 20, 2003, 11:25 AM
speaking of spud cannons, my friends spud cannon regularly breaks mach 1 with sand filled mountain dew cans wrapped in duct tape. We're only running it at 85psi too, if there was a better compressor we could do 120. This beast can take down trees.

Kamicosmos
November 20, 2003, 11:38 AM
I had many BB Gun fights with friends....right up until we got into Paintball in the early 90's. We would put on Jeans and Denim Jackets...and go at it. No safety glasses or anything.

Man...that was nuts...but it was fun! Glad paintball came along...much safer!

HankB
November 20, 2003, 11:38 AM
BB Gun Wars?

I did lots of stupid stuff when I was a young kid - how I got through my childhood with all my fingers intact still amazes me, considering my fascination with pyrotechnics - but I never was a part of any BB gun wars.

Yeah, I got a BB gun when I was still too little to even cock it. I mean, I had to tuck the buttstock under my armpit in order to reach the trigger!

But by the time I'd grown older, Dad had already taught me not to shoot at people. Unless it's really, REALLY necessary.

And then you don't use a BB gun.

I took these lessons to heart - I guess that's why I got a .22 rifle at age 7, and a .22 revolver for 8th grade graduation.

preach mode ON:

I hope the adult veterans of the BB gun wars of yesteryear are teaching their kids proper gun safety today.

preach mode OFF

OEF_VET
November 20, 2003, 11:46 AM
Ahhh, the good ole days.

My brother and I would take turns riding our bikes down the street while the other one tried to hit a moving target. Not too bright, but a helluva lot of fun. :D

Another time, I had shot a bird out of the tree in the backyard (I was truly only aiming for the branch and instead clipped his wing.) and another kid tried to pick the bird up. I shot towards him and told him to leave it alone, as it had suffered enough already. Well, he says I hit him in the hand but I don't think I did. He goes home later that night and tells his mom and she calls the cops. The cops call my folks and after a conference between myself, my folks, and one of the local policemen, it was decided that I should forfiet my bb gun until I turned 18, which was about 6 months away. Luckily my dad is a county deputy, or else I don't think the cops would have been so lienient.

Fast forward to July 4th, 1997. I was over at my squad leaders house with my son, getting ready to go see the fireworks. He and I, both in our mid-20's, decide to shoot off soem bottle rockets. Well, shooting them into the air isn't any fun, so we eventually started launching them at each other. He dropped one while trying to light it and bent over to pick it up. Just as he did, I fired one at him. My rocket went straight thru the part of his t-shirt that was hanging down, boring entrance and exit holes thru it, and bounced off his van, which was parked nearby. After bouncing off the van, it exploded about 6 inches from his face! He jumped about 3 feet into the air! Once he realized it had passed clean thru his shirt, we both laughed our heads off. Funny though, neither of our wives thought it was that funny. Maybe that's why we're both divorced now?

Fast forward again. This time, it's July 4th, 2001. I had told my fiance that it is perfectly safe to shoot off bottle rockets from your hand. Of course, she doesn't like the idea and tells me that I'm going to hurt myself. So, I grab a rocket, hold it outstretched in one hand, and light it with the other. It launches into the air and explodes with a loud crack. When I look at her, she simply says "You know your shirt's on fire?". I look down and sure enough, the sparks had landed on my shirt and were proceeding to burn a small hole into it. I put it out with my fingers, and she said (with a slight air of 'I told you so'), "Now, you're not allowed to teach our kids to do that." Lord, I hate it when she's right. :o (And she so often is.)

Frank

Boondock Saint
November 20, 2003, 12:09 PM
"You didn't want to get in range of my Crossman 760 circa 1980..." hehe you DONT want to get in range of my crossman 760 circa 1980 (thanks to my grandparents for passing down they're rat killer) because the war is still on! at least for us who are not of age to own a real firearm yet...More reports as they come commander *salute*

Silent Bob
November 20, 2003, 01:06 PM
Still have a bb under my scalp from that crap! And where was MY parade????:mad: :D

Silent Bob
November 20, 2003, 01:22 PM
Speaking of BB guns, anyone else remember those AR-15 looking BB guns that were common in the mid-80s? I believe even Wal-Mart sold them.

iamkris
November 20, 2003, 01:27 PM
Yup, very stupid. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I shot my best friends little brother right betwwen the eyes back in high school in the early 80's (no safety glasses...stupid). Lots of blood and we tried to convince him to tell his parents he fell...until we noticed the lump right next to his tear duct. Had to go to the emergency room and have it cut out. Lost my BB gun privledges for a month but didn't lose my interest in guns.

geekWithA.45
November 20, 2003, 02:46 PM
Oh yeah, Did anyone else tape fireworks to the end of arrows, have someone light them and you shoot them from your bow so you could be like the Dukes of Hazzard?

I tried to create a bottle rocket crossbow out of an old shotgun stock, a springy piece of wood, and a string.

The first time I tried it, the string slipped over the lit fuse of the bottle rocket, and I had to eject the whole thing, which detonated about 5 feet away.

Back to the drawing board I went...

;)

NevadaPistolero
November 20, 2003, 03:11 PM
LOL...damn this thread brings back memories :evil: We used to shoot each other just to see how bad it would hurt. No matter if just started out walking into the hills to shoot our BB guns sooner or later it was battle time. No one was ever seriously hurt, it was a blast shooting your buddy :D Hell the rock fights we used to get into with kids we didnt like would get you more hurt than BB. Ever take a huge dirt clod up side the head LOL.

OEF_VET
November 20, 2003, 05:11 PM
Silent Bob,

Those M-16 looking bb guns were the Crossman A*I*R*17. They fired bb's, pellets, or darts, and only required 1 pump to fire quite fast. This is the kind of gun I had, until a dart got stuck partway down the barrel. I tried everything I could think of, but couldn't get the dart out of there.

Frank

daniel501
December 13, 2003, 03:46 PM
Yeah I'm a survivor. I still have a bb embedded about an inch deep in my left thigh, from some poorly conceived horseplay when I was 12. The doctor said he'd have to cut me to get it out, and that since it was just copper washed steel it wouldn't hurt me to leave it in. So it's still there over 20 years later. If I recall correctly it was a Crosman pumped up 8-10 times, from a range of ~10 yards, through some jeans. At the time, even though it hurt like hell I didn't realize it had broken the skin until I removed the jeans. When you think about it the outcome could have been much worse.:cuss:

telewinz
December 13, 2003, 04:20 PM
purpleheart with 2 clusters, I go to the free clinic twice a year for combat fatique treatment. I could tell you stories that would make you weep:D

Topgun
December 13, 2003, 04:30 PM
that out of this many posts.....over so long a time......that nobody ELSE...

ever coated .....FIRECRACKERS in model airplane glue......and left them overnight in a little bitty paper cup ...... FULL of BBs.

Frag, frag, frag.

My mother never DID figure out how the garbage can got so many dents FROM THE INSIDE one day. Watched her puzzled look at it. Never said a thing.

:evil:

WilderBill
December 13, 2003, 04:44 PM
Topgun,
I did exactly that. Sometimes I'd start with 6 firecrackers taped around another with the fuses twisted together.
Made a nice bang and flung LOTS of BBs.
The less lethal version involved putting firecrakers (or groups of them) into ripe pears.
Man what a sticky mess if you could time it so that the fuse burned down to the firecracker about 4 feet before the pear reached you target!
We had plenty of BB gun wars.
About the time 3 or 4 of us bought Crossman V 350s at the same time it stopped being fun...at least for those on the recieving end.

Bainx
December 13, 2003, 04:52 PM
Must of been some Yankee ????e. I never played BB guns. Lived here all my life [47 yrs.]. I did have a BB gun and a pellet gun for what it's worth.

Bainx Out

Captain Scarlet
December 13, 2003, 06:09 PM
I use to love playing with firecrackers, a brand of firecracker called "PAGODA" brand was extra strong, I use to tape a small lead fishing sinker on the bottom so they would sink down when dropped in the water
they were like mini depth charges! they would still explode even under water! I use to drop these in the pond and the concussion would kill fish
and they would float to the surface, sometimes it just stunned them, I
got lucky once and dropped one of my depth charges and killed a BASS
the concussion knocked the fish out and I just grabbed it and took it home
to eat, it was a pretty good size maybe a one pounder or pound and half.

G.I.Jew
December 13, 2003, 06:40 PM
now THAT sounds like fun!

bigjim
December 13, 2003, 08:34 PM
My friend Mike and I used to shoot bottle rockets and other stuff at each other all the time.

Now Mike was very athletic, strong, smart and would take any risk to "win" any fight.

I was never ever able to get the better of him. Then one day we were shooting rockets at each other he comes running around the corner of the house just as I was lighting one.

He knows he is gonna get hit you can see it in his eyes! He turn and starts to run just as the bottle rocket launches.

The bottle rocket covers the 15 or 20 yards between us and wedges itself
between his legs right up against his scrotum. The rocket exploded with a muffled crack as it was totally contained by his thighs, butt checks and testicals.

He dropped like a rock. He could not even scream for the first 30 seconds or so because the pain kept him from taking a breath. Once he was able to voice his feelings it was loud and very very crude.

This memory 30 years later still makes me belly laugh.

Zedicus
December 13, 2003, 08:37 PM
this brings to mind a very funny bb joke...:D

BB BEANS

One of the matrons of the church was cooking a pot of her famous beans for the church potluck, and her son, Ben, came running through the house, BB gun in one hand, and a handful of BB's in the other. He tripped and the BB's, naturally, went right into the pot of beans.

Thinking it over, Ben could think of no reason why he should risk punishment, so he said nothing.

The dinner went well, and, as usual, the beans were one of the favorite dishes.

The next day, the church secretary, Mary, called Ben's mother and said, "Jane, your beans were delicious as usual, but what did you put in them this time?"

Jane replied, "Nothing new, why do you ask?"

"Well," said Mary, "this morning I bent over to feed the cat and I shot the canary..."

:D

Kodiak AK
December 14, 2003, 02:56 AM
Ahh Yes . My Crossman CO2 Uzi was the envy of all after I popped Micky 15 times before he could figure out where I was .:)
Of course we graduated from the even stupider home made bows and arrows made with sticks and fishing line .:o

My friend Kenny still has a Copperhead in the corner of his eye as far as I know .

schadenfreude
December 14, 2003, 03:35 AM
We had a 4 pump rule because our battle field was a filbert orchard and it was more spread out.

I have been hit many times and made it out just fine. Actually we used raw walnuts (green hard things) as grenades ( baseball pitch ) and they hurt more than the BB's.

:D :D :uhoh:

artherd
December 14, 2003, 04:06 AM
I never shot a BB gun at any person, but then again the 'bigger' one I had was a .22cal pettet rifle that would punch THROUGH 3/4" plywood. So it's a good thing I didn't.

Also never shot anybody with a spud gun, considering that with frozen spuds it would go *through* 5/8" drywall, insulation, 3/4" plywood, and 1" hardwood siding...

Have had the occational bottle rocket war, but mostly just got together and blew OTHER stuff up.

Picalo peets pounded to explode and shot out of spud guns make good July-4th fun (I still do this :D)

LiquidTension
December 14, 2003, 05:18 AM
My friends and I never really shot at each other. We'd shoot at fish with BB guns, sometimes birds.

So I guess I survived the wars - my Star Wars action figures, on the other hand...(yeah, the ones that are now worth big $$$$). I remember blowing Palpatine's face off with one of the pump pistols. And the shiny head guy from GI Joe - he got it pretty bad too.

Topgun
December 14, 2003, 12:55 PM
My "best buddy" one day ran in my house, got MY BB gun and shot the COP'S kid.

Reeeeeeaaaallll smart.

The cops came and were gonna take my BB gun til my buddy admitted that he DID go in the house to get it.

Close call.

:eek:

Stevie-Ray
December 14, 2003, 04:41 PM
I am also a survivor of the BB wars, but I don't know how. I guess it was because by the time pneumatics came on the scene, I was smart enough to recognize that the ping with the accompanying rolling sound was the BB penetrating the garbage can I was hiding behind. That was it for me.

Also, I was one of the unfortunates to like to loft Cherry Bombs with a Wrist Rocket. Had one crush on me while pulling back a little too far. Flared up, and burned my hand and the surgical tubing on my Rocket. Enough of that too.

Griff
December 15, 2003, 06:13 PM
1-pump rule, bottle rockets, and winter coats. Oh, Yeah!

schadenfreude
December 15, 2003, 06:48 PM
I find it AMAZING.....
that out of this many posts.....over so long a time......that nobody ELSE...

ever coated .....FIRECRACKERS in model airplane glue......and left them overnight in a little bitty paper cup ...... FULL of BBs.

Frag, frag, frag.

Bwahahahahahah we did the same thing. There was this kid in the neighborhood named Harlen and he was our ordinamce expert. He made some hum dingers.

We had 100+ foot trees in our yard and we had a 200 ft zip line across the front. The best war games in history took place at our house. :D

AZLibertarian
December 15, 2003, 08:10 PM
Son of AZLib wants a paintball setup for Christmas, and I told him that I don't approve. I don't like the idea of making a game of shooting people.

So far, I've been able to dodge the question that's sitting in my head: "So if you don't approve of paintball, tell me the story again about you and your brother playing "war" with your BB guns?"

Jaguar
December 15, 2003, 11:08 PM
I survived a BB gun war, and only one. Within the first five minutes I got pegged in the thumbnail by friendly fire while pointing out the enemy. Lost the nail about three weeks later and I don't remember ever being in more pain - and I had broken three bones and several other injuries while growing up.

sturmruger
December 15, 2003, 11:38 PM
I must admit to having many a BB gun war. It is amazing how tactical you can be at 10 years old. We had these wild plans with fall back positions and everything. I think most of the fun was the battle plans that we would draw up weeks before any actuall BB gun fight.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many survived the "bb gun" wars?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!