Formula for vertical and horizontal components of trajectory

PDA

Oleg Volk
August 9, 2006, 04:10 PM
I need to come up with a formula for x and y coordinates of a ballistic projectile, neglecting air resistance. I forgot most of my physics and math, so I'd like to verify my guesses:

for vertical position (sinLAUNCH ANGLE * velocity - FREEFALL ACCELERATION * time) * time
for horizontal cosineLAUNCH ANGLE * velocity * time

Thanks in advance...

If you enjoyed reading about "Formula for vertical and horizontal components of trajectory" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gonefission
August 9, 2006, 04:15 PM
Check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile

The sad thing is I got through Calc 3 with some decent grades and I don't remember a thing. :(

Oleg Volk
August 9, 2006, 04:24 PM
I looked through that page earlier. Let's look here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/d/9/3/d937be7f39b6e438b5e9a37da16db59b.png

v = velocity?
g = freefall acceleration?

And how do I find x? Is my original formula for that correct?

Update:

My father just emailed me the correct formula:

Almost right...
for vertical position (sinLAUNCH ANGLE * velocity - FREEFALL ACCELERATION * time / 2) * time reflecting that (sinLAUNCH ANGLE * velocity - FREEFALL ACCELERATION * time) is the vertical speed at that time but the average one was half of that.

Gonefission
August 9, 2006, 04:55 PM
Here is the legend from the top of that page:

* g: the acceleration due to gravity—usually taken to be 9.81 m/s2 near the Earth's surface
* θ: the angle at which the projectile is launched
* v: the velocity at which the projectile is launched
* y0: the initial height of the projectile
* d: the total horizontal distance travelled by the projectile

According to my TI-89 solving for x gets you the attached formula

WayneConrad
August 9, 2006, 05:17 PM
Oleg, if you're shooting on the moon, remember that you'll need a different value for g.

This could be the coolest range report ever.

johnmcl
August 10, 2006, 09:27 AM
Hi Oleg,

That last equation doesn't take into consideration a couple of trig properties that will simplify your work.

Essentially Range = V^2 sin(2*angle)/g

There's a great astrophysics page here that has done the mathematical heavy lifting:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Now a couple of points. Express your angle in radians, and the effect of gravity (g) as 32 ft/sec^2. That will allow you to keep your muzzle velocity in feet per second.

Hope that helps?

John

roo_ster
August 10, 2006, 11:21 AM
Here's how I always did my work in English measurements:
1. Convert given data into mks
2. Solve equation via algebra/trig/calc
3. Plug in mks values & solve
4. Convert to English measurements

I love English measurements for everday life, but I want metric for engineering/physics/tech work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Formula for vertical and horizontal components of trajectory" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!