ruger new model single six

PDA

lionken07
August 9, 2006, 08:52 PM
it comes with two two cylinders you can use both .22LR and the more powerful .22mag. Now anyone have one? Im considering buying one for target use and some fun with the .22 mag as well. How strong is the gun? Can the gun handle abuse? reliable?

If you enjoyed reading about "ruger new model single six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jman74
August 9, 2006, 09:26 PM
Yes. The gun strong, accurate and reliable. The reliablity is effected only by the ammo that you use. As for strong, the gun is over-built. I've found that the the mag cylinder is more accurate. I thought I read somewhere that it has to do with either barrel diameter or rifling. Either cylinder is quite acceptable though. It is a great gun to learn with, because it takes a while to reload, so after a while it seems, at least for me, that you'll slow down and think about wht you are doing. One warning though. .22mag is LOUD out of a handgun.

telomerase
August 9, 2006, 09:54 PM
I thought I read somewhere that it has to do with either barrel diameter or rifling.

Yeah, .22 mag is slightly bigger bore size than .22 LR. The barrel diameter is a compromise, and it fits the mags more tightly. (Whether that means the mags are always more accurate, I don't know, but it means the same gun will probably like one or the other caliber better).

lawson
August 9, 2006, 09:57 PM
i have one with a 6 1/2" barrel. it's a great gun. I put in the LR cylinder for plinking and the WMR cylinder for longer distances and hunting. very accurate. when hunting in arizona i usually have it on my belt with a the mag cylinder in.

dad has one with an 8 1/2" barrel, and I don't think he's ever cleaned it, ever. it just won't quit. even encrusted with gunk it's still a great shooter. now, i clean my guns a lot more fanatically than my dad does, but i shoot a lot more than him. if anything, it's a testament to how reliable the gun is.

by far it is my favorite .22 handgun i've ever owned. unless you hate single action revolvers, you will not be disappointed. it's also my favorite gun to teach new shooters.

eagle45
August 9, 2006, 10:09 PM
Nothing bad to say about it. I have the 8 1/2" barrel model. Great plinker and for hunting too. As stated, the 22 magnums are loud!

You do shoot a little slower. Makes for a slow, enjoyable time at the range.

shooting on a shoestring
August 9, 2006, 10:23 PM
I owned one as a kid. Traded it off for a 6inch Mod 19. Good trade, I still have and use the Mod 19 but so greatly missed the New Model Six I bought one new in the late 70's. Still have it, use it, love it.

I've shot Winchester Super X magnums over my chronograph and get just over 1400 fps. That's real magnum velocity.

Get one you'll love it.

SAWBONES
August 9, 2006, 11:07 PM
I like mine. I have the stainless version with the 5" barrel.
Caveat: Don't shoot .22LR in the .22 WRM cylinder; the cases may rupture.

Jackal
August 9, 2006, 11:41 PM
Be sure you like single action revolvers before u buy one. I have one, and no matter how much everyone else likes them, i still cant stand mine. I just dont enjoy shooting it much at all. That said, they are decent guns quality wise. Will last forever. Just my opinion.

Also, u may be better served by a .38 special. The .38 isnt much louder, if at all and the ammo can actually be found cheaper than .22 mags can.

Derby FALs
August 10, 2006, 12:00 AM
I have one for sale. Great gun but I replaced it with a Colt's New Frontier. The buffalo horn grips fit your hand better than factory and are a $80 upgrade.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=214863

JJE
August 10, 2006, 12:00 AM
I have the 6.5" stainless model and like it a lot. If you take your time with your shots, single-action is fun. If you like to send a lot of lead downrange, maybe not.

Funny that a couple of people have called .22 mag loud out of this gun. I'm pretty sensitive to loud guns and I don't think it's as loud as most 9mm pistols. Are you all wearing hearing protection?

Anyway, the gun is way overbuilt for .22 mag, and single-actions are the most durable handgun design, so don't worry about hurting this gun. I like the Single Six so much that I've almost convinced myself to get a stainless single-action Blackhawk in .357 magnum.

P95Carry
August 10, 2006, 12:09 AM
Just (yet) another post in praise of the gun - I enjoy shooting with the mag cylinder tho cost takes its toll somewhat!

My only complaint is - as with any SA - unloading and reloading is a chore!

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/single_six_s.jpg

BluesBear
August 10, 2006, 04:26 AM
How strong is the gun?Strong enough to be factory chambered in .32 H&R Magnum.
Strong enough to be converted to a 5 shot .41 special.

Can the gun handle abuse?
No gun can handle abuse for very long.
But a Ruger SIngle Six can handle more honest use than any twenty people can dish out.

reliable?
To the point of boredom.

Do a search and you'll find countless threads praising the Single-Six and Super Single-Six

foghornl
August 11, 2006, 10:23 AM
I have the 50th Year Single-Six..4-5/8" barrel, fixed sights, both cylinders.

Way up on the "Fun Gun" list. I havent really shot enough with both cylinders during 1 range trip to find out which is more accurate...but that is a large part of the "Fun Gun" factor...finding out which ammo YOUR gun likes the best.:D :D :D :D :D :D

RobG5538
August 12, 2006, 12:00 AM
I love mine. Bought it used about 10 years ago. Only came with mag. cylinder which is fine with me. I have bought and sold several guns over the same period but, its the one I keep. I use it for a "camp gun" and for plinking. I recently put a Hogue mono grip (factory grip is small), Wolff trigger and hammer springs, Weigand scope mount, and a Simmons scope to do some small game huntin'.

borrowedtime69
August 15, 2006, 12:04 AM
I love my Ruger Single Six 5.5" barrel only in .22 LR/long/short. I wont sell it as i have a marlin 39A as a cowboy companion and it performs very well. heres a pic of my western set...

http://www.hunt101.com/img/427069.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/img/344484.jpg
the Single Six points very naturally, is usually pretty accurate for a revovlver. im using CCI mini-mag SP's in it cause i can shoot them out of both guns.

after i had the Single Six for a short while, the damaged finish on the ejector rod housing started to bother me so i sent to Ruger for the replacement blued steel rod housing, the original ones are aluminum with a painted black finish. the blued steel is really nice.

i will only get a handgun now with adjustable sights so i can have better luck hitting what im aiming at.

My one suggestion to you is to get two Ruger SS's , have one dedicated to .22 LR and the other for .22 Mag. its a royal pain to be switching ammo from one load to another and resiting it in or guesstimating the aimpoint. Get steel rod housings for both. just shoot both with the LR and Mag Ammo and see which one likes which ammo better . Good luck! -Eric

lionken07
August 18, 2006, 01:59 AM
thank you all for the info for this gun.

Now I do have a few other questions. How do you go about changing the Cylinder? is it easy to do in the field?

Im thinking about getting the 6.5inches blued version since this will be mainly a range gun. Will the grip hold up? my local dealer is asking 375.00 before tax is it a good price?

thank you all again for the help.

YodaVader
August 18, 2006, 11:51 AM
Im thinking about getting the 6.5inches blued version since this will be mainly a range gun. Will the grip hold up? my local dealer is asking 375.00 before tax is it a good price?

In my area I can get the stainless for less than that - about $350 or so. Bud's Gun Shop in KY which also sells online lists blued Single Sixes at $283 for the 6 1/2". But you would have to add in shipping and transfer fees.

As far as the cylinder change it is an extremely easy operation which does not require tools and is perfomed in a few seconds once you do it a few times to get the routine down.

As to the grip question , I assume you are concerned with the aluminum grip frame? I cannot see any reason why the grip durability would ever be an isssue.

I have owned my Single Six stainless for 7 years now and have fired countless thousands of rounds through it without a hitch. The loading and unloading is not really the hassle (to me:) ) that some make it out to be. It is pretty amazing how fast one can go through a few hundred rounds with a Single Six!

JustsayMo
August 21, 2006, 10:56 PM
Wanna see a brick burned up in an afternoon? Give a single six to a nine year old in a safe place to shoot and you'll see never see a bigger grin.

Great guns. I'm amazed how well they shoot. I have a few and still have trouble passing them up when I see one for sale.

If you enjoyed reading about "ruger new model single six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!