CCI Lawman .38s

PDA

kannonfyre
August 10, 2006, 06:04 AM
Does anyone know about the following CCI .38 ammo?

It comes in a sturdy blue plastic box with a sticker seal that has to be cut in order to open the box. There are 50rds per box and each round has reddish waterproofing at the primer. Upon closer inspection, the cartridges are nickel plated and the projectiles are JHPs. The hollow points are hexagonal pits at the tip of the bullets. The boxes are labelled as "CCI Lawman 110gr .38 Special JHP".

Has anyone ever heard of or know about this kind of ammo? I've done an internet search and the only CCI lawman rounds I've found appear to be FMJ practice rounds.

What kind of velocity or performance can I expect from this load? Will it outperform winchester's .38 110gr STHP?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI Lawman .38s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
August 10, 2006, 09:44 AM
CCI "Lawman" is a trade name that company has used for years.
It generally designates higher end quality ammunition which has had a bit more care in assembly.
You never know exactly how a cartridge will perform until you actually shoot something with it but CCI Lawman ammunition generally receives high marks across the board for performance, accuracy, and reliabilty. HTH

BluesBear
August 11, 2006, 03:07 AM
The original CCI Lawman ammo came in yellow plastic boxes.
The 9mm/.38/.357 box held 50 rounds.
The same sized box held 25 rounds of .44/.45.

Each one originally had a catchy name.
The boxes I still have of the .45acp 200gr "Flying Ashtray" ammo was called "Inspector". Other names I recall were "Detective" and "Patrolman".

Later CCI-Speer changed the plastic boxes to blue.

Lawman was originally the premium brand. Now it's just their practice ammo.

kannonfyre
August 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
That's interesting guys...never knew that it came in a yellow box once.

However....does anyone have any muzzle velocity data about the 110gr .38 JHPs? :confused:

Does it expand well? :confused:

kannonfyre
August 14, 2006, 12:54 PM
Am being offerred a deal of 350rds of Winchester 110gr STHPs or CCI (blue box) lawman 110gr JHPs for about $0.35 per round. Money is tight and I do not have the money to buy both. So...if you guys were in my shoes, which round would you get?

BluesBear
August 14, 2006, 07:47 PM
It's six of one and half dozen of the other.
You won't go wrong with either.

kannonfyre
August 31, 2006, 01:22 AM
here's the answer that I got:

I did get your email, the problem was it took some looking to find the part number as it is no longer active and has not been for some time. The lot # provided is not what we use today, but close, so my guess as to date of production is Dec. 1996. That also leads me to speculate that the ammo "may" have been loaded for a contract and a muzzle velocity guess is 1050 fps from a 4" barrel. Not sure what it sold for in 1996 and we don't have a product like that today, so a price guess is about $16.50 per box.

Storage conditions are/can be the ruin of ammo. If you know how they have been stored for the last 10 years, they could be fine. With ammo that old, when firing listen for off-sounds, if you here one, examine the gun before continuing.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1050ft/s??? Wow! That's fast! That's +P velocity even though the box is not marked as +P ammo.

Does anyone here ever remember firing "blue box" CCI .38 110gr rounds? Did it feel like a +P?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI Lawman .38s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!