Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog?

PDA

Woody_in_MN
August 10, 2006, 08:48 AM
Any comments - good - bad - indifferent on the Bulldog 44 mag?

- w

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BillinNH
August 10, 2006, 01:57 PM
I didn't know the Bulldog came in a 44 mag. Do you mean 44spl?

I have a "first generation" 44 spl Bulldog with a three inch barrel and exposed ejector. It is fun to shoot, recoil is very acceptable, has always been reliable. I think the three inch makes a good range gun but for concealed carry I recommend the 2 1/2 inch model..

The Charters are not as robust as the Smiths in this caliber but they are also not as big and heavy. It's a nice alternative.

The exposed ejector models and the Charter 2000 models are gnerally the most reliable. The Charcos should be examined closely to see if they have any problems.

Bill

Woody_in_MN
August 10, 2006, 02:22 PM
I stand corrected - it is not 44 mag. It is 44 special. 2 1/2 inch barrel. That is the one I am considering anyway.

Thanks,

- w

Jackal
August 10, 2006, 02:44 PM
Here's a link to a good review. http://www.gunblast.com/Bulldog_Pug.htm

Lou22
August 10, 2006, 07:08 PM
From what I've read in these boards, people seem split on the Bulldog's quality. I don't own one, but have a Charter 2000 .38 Undercover that I think is a great little gun. Light recoil, accurate for a snubbie, and reliable. I do also own a S&W 296 snubbie .44 special. It is also a fine gun, but because it weighs only 18oz, the recoil will hurt the web of my hand after about 20 rounds.

Lou

Woody_in_MN
August 10, 2006, 07:55 PM
Lou,

One reason I'm interested in Charter, is that they were acquired by hi point. At least in terms of reliability - the guys at HP seem to know what they are doing.

- w

HSMITH
August 10, 2006, 08:04 PM
The Charter guns are good guns to carry a lot and shoot a little. They won't hold up long term like a Smith or a Ruger, but that doesn't mean they are bad guns. If they were to cost what a Smith or a Ruger does I would be down on them, but they cost about what they are worth and make a decent gun for the money.

The Bulldog is my favorite Charter gun, great carry gun.

Lou22
August 10, 2006, 08:38 PM
I've heard the same thing about Charter, that you shoot 'em a lot and they'll eventually come loose. I shoot the Undercover with regular 158gr ammo enough on the range to be accurate, then carry +P 158gr SWCHP's :cool:

I read on the company website that +P's are OK for occasional use.

Woody, I thought the same thing about Hi-Point, that they should help the quality of the Charter line.

Lou

1 old 0311
August 10, 2006, 08:47 PM
Son Of Sam liked his:evil:

Woody_in_MN
August 10, 2006, 09:11 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Honestly I'm starting to steer away from the 44 special as a caliber - less punch than a 357 mag, and the 44's tend to cost more. I'm leaning more toward a Charter or other in a 357 mag. I already have a Taurus 66 satin finish w/ 6" barrel - I love that gun, so I will probably look at what Taurus has to offer in a short barrel 357.

- w

KINGMAX
August 10, 2006, 09:35 PM
I have an old Charter Arms undercover .38 spl w/ a 2 inch barrel. ;) I put just a touch of very bright orange fingernail polish on the front sight. :scrutiny: My wife uses it for her carry. :confused: Yes she can shoot it, :eek: YES she can hit something vital from point blank, out to about 25 feet consistently. :what: We shoot only standard .38 spl through it, no +P's. Out of all the stuff I have, that is her favorite choice to carry. Now if I could get her to carry as an everyday habit, :banghead: not just on special trips, or occasions.

KINGMAX
August 10, 2006, 09:50 PM
I am glad to see that someone else has a stock pile of more than 7,000 - 10,000 rounds of various ammo. (jackal) ;) I am trying to get up to about 20,000 rds this year. :scrutiny: I would like to get at least 5-7 thousand rounds of 7.62 x 39 stock-up. :rolleyes: Once I get to three thousand rounds of 7.62x39, I want to go shoot my AK's and SKS a bit. :evil:

Since I have four Mosin-Nagant's, I usually purchase 440 - 880 rounds at each gun show. :uhoh: Last gun show I got 880 rds of Olympic 7.62x54R. Very happy w/ the performance of Olympic ammo. :) Plenty of power, recoil not so bad, and plenty of :fire: fire coming out the barrel of the M-38 carbine. :) :) :) :) :D :cool: :D

???? QUESTION ???? = How many rounds can I have and still be legal ????

HMMurdock
August 10, 2006, 10:17 PM
First hand experience with a Charter Arms .44psl:

A good friend of mine bought one and loved it. That is, until we took it to the range and it blew up on him. It was defective and nearly took his hand off. The round went off and literally blew the cylinder out and destroyed the frame. He contacted the company to get another one and they seemed entirely indifferent about it. Not only did they not seem to care that their product almost killed him, but it took them a year (give or take a month) to replace it. Did they kiss his @$$? No. Did they give him a nicer product or any "goodies"? No. Did they even send a letter of apology for having made such an awful firearm? Nope.

I will NEVER purchase a Charter Arms product as long as I live. I have not heard of this happening too much, but I have not known enough too many people that have them, either. And juding by their lack of concern after almost making him a cripple, I'd suggest to stay away.

TRL

Woody_in_MN
August 11, 2006, 03:47 PM
Kind of off the subject - but I held a Taurus 605 today. That gun is tiny! At least for my hands. I also held a tracker 357. That has their pattended grip. Very comfy, and nice - but more that I can to spend. They both had nice triggers.

- w

Ronnie
August 11, 2006, 04:19 PM
I've got one of these in stainless and like it very much. I purchased it for a concealed carry weapon. 5 shots of .357 and you can't even tell it's there in an IWB holster.
I've shot about 100 rounds through it so-far[only had it a month] and it's as accurate as I am. Recoil isn't anywhere as near as rough as I thought it would be, very manageable.

I just need to find a smithy to put a polish on it.

BluesBear
August 11, 2006, 06:13 PM
Woody, personally, for a snub revolver, for CCW, I'll take the .44 Special over the .357 any day.
Plenty of power with less recoil and muzzle blast.

I used to carry a late 1970s vintage Charter Arms 3" .44 until I switched to a 2" Taurus .44. Unfortunately when I broke my back and was in the nursing home it had to go bye-bye to pay some bills.
Now I'm carrying a .357 but I really, really want another .44 special.
Now don't get me wrong, I love my Colt Lawman, I'll never sell it. But I'd much rather have another Taurus .44 for everyday carry.

Woody_in_MN
August 11, 2006, 07:48 PM
BluesBear,

Thanks. Hope you are recovering OK. I'm not strictly thinking of a CCW. I do want something I can go out and plunk with once in awhile. I REALLY like the idea of a 3" barrel. The Taurus 605 comes in a 3" - but that 605 is just too small for my hands and my purposes. I agree with you about the Taurus brand. When I was a kid - some thirty years ago - the Taurus was cheap, and looked it. Not any more. The Taurus's are a great value I think. I know I can get a NEW Taurus M65 SS (brushed finish) 4" barrel for about $300 plus shipping. That option has been on my mind too. But maybe too close a gun to the M66 SS 6" barrel I have?

Still stewing...

- W

BluesBear
August 11, 2006, 07:54 PM
IF you can ever find one of the Charter Arms Police Bulldogs in .44 Special grab it. They were great guns. They had a 4" barrel, shrouded ejector and adjustable sights.

Also I have seen several of the older adjustable sight 3" Taurus revolvers on Gunbroker lately. I handled one at a show recently and it felt nice.

Diomed
August 11, 2006, 08:15 PM
They look good to me. Fits my hand better than any other pistol I've come across, and will be my next purchase (thank you again, Governor Doug, for the wait). My 'smith carries one. A nice package at a good price; I'm getting the stainless.

HMMurdock - when did that happen? Was it bought new or used? My understanding is that some of the earlier iterations of the company were less than totally committed to their product, but that this is no longer the case. I certainly hope so! :uhoh:

Woody_in_MN
August 11, 2006, 09:01 PM
They look good to me.

I assume the "they" is Charter Arms?

HMMurdock - when did that happen? Was it bought new or used? My understanding is that some of the earlier iterations of the company were less than totally committed to their product...

I was wondering about this too. Counting backwards the self-destruct Charter must have been bought at least a year ago - maybe manufactured two, three, more years ago? I think HP bought Charter about a year and a half ago (?) there abouts (?)

- w

Diomed
August 12, 2006, 04:10 AM
I assume the "they" is Charter Arms?

Yes. (http://www.charterfirearms.com/charter_bulldog.htm)

Woody_in_MN
August 12, 2006, 07:02 PM
Can anyone compare the size/feel of the grip on the Bull Dog to a Taurus 605 or M65/66 ?

- w

fastbolt
August 12, 2006, 09:55 PM
A Search among various forums can come up with some variable owner reports.

I knew a fellow who had one, and he liked it a lot. Of course, he only shot it every couple of years or so, and not much when he did ...

I owned 2 of them. One blued & one stainless. Both 3" barrels. The blued one was so-so, and did not like some factory loads. Erratic groupings at times. Nasty trigger. Mostly fired, though.

After I'd fired several boxes of standard pressure .44 Spl loads through the stainless Bulldog, however, the trigger/cylinder began locking up fairly frequently, even during dry-fire. I think I returned it to the factory either 2 or 3 times for repair. The last time it came back from the factory I removed it from the box and dry-fired it. The cylinder didn't make it all the way around before it locked up.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in ever owning one again ...

Of course, it might've just been the 2 of them I bought at different times that were less-then-terrific.

I've seen, and heard, of better functioning with the .38 Spl models.

Luck to you.

Woody_in_MN
August 12, 2006, 10:09 PM
fastbolt,

Thanks. There was an interesting article - linked to on page one of this thread from gunblast.com. We probably need to seperate the "old" Bulldog from the "new" Bulldog. According to gunblast - the new Bulldog has some improvements over the original design. At least the one that gunblast got to test, had a nice trigger, and outstanding accuracy for a 2 1/2 inch barrel.

- w

fastbolt
August 12, 2006, 10:29 PM
You're right.

The 'new' CH Bulldog may be a much better revolver (for its cost) than the original one. Especially if they changed and improved the design.

The proof will be in seeing how the 'new' ones fair in the hands of owners during the next few years, I suppose.

BluesBear
August 12, 2006, 11:24 PM
Personally I think that High Point acquiring Charter will be a good thing. HP has a very good warranty and customer service.
There have been so many low points in Charter Arms' history that every gun has to be inspected and judged separately.

And no matter what you opinion of High Point quality you really can't say they don't have good quality control.

I handled a couple of the recent production .44 special Bulldogs. While they don't feel as nice (to me) as the original models they did seem to be well made.

Since Taurus has suspended production of all of their fixed sight, five shot, .4x caliber revolvers and they've done the same with Rossi, the Charter is currently the only in production option.

Woody_in_MN
August 13, 2006, 06:55 AM
Blues,

Personally I think that High Point acquiring Charter will be a good thing.

Agree.

- w

JERRY
August 13, 2006, 11:18 AM
while i have no reason to doubt gunblasts intergrity, but i am skepticle of charter arms when they furnish a gun for review......

the article makes things look all rosey, and im sure thats the way c.a. planned it.

however, in the three i had (two in .44spl and one in .22lr) the new .44spls i had were junk, but the one used .22lr pathfinder i had was a good gun.

bottome line, in my experience, if you pick one up from a gun store it will be a crap shoot. however, if you have one delivered to you from the company for you to do a public evaluation on, i feel they will send you one thats been gone over properly.

HMMurdock
August 13, 2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been ill.

--That happened about two years ago. Blew right the hell up and almost took off his hand and the company didn't care one iota. And to top it off, it took them a year to replace it.

Bastards.

I don't care who has or does accquire them, they've burned themselves with me. For just a bit more you can get a S&W. I'd rather carry a Taurus revolver than a Charter. --Wasn't even that good of a shooter.

--just my two bits.

TRL

Woody_in_MN
August 13, 2006, 12:24 PM
Murdock,

I hope you are feeling better.

I drove out to my local Cabella's this morning. I had a chance to inspect a Charter Undercover, and also Bulldog, and a Ruger SP101. The bulldog is a little bigger than the undercover - but not by much. I like the Charter's matte SS finish. The ruger had a decent break, but to me is seemed to have a heavier pull than the Bulldog. I think I actually prefer the Bulldog over the Ruger. To complicate matters, I found a local guy that has a used but mint Ruger SP101 w/ a 3' barrel, that I can probably get for $325. Decisions...decisions...

- w

hpg
August 13, 2006, 12:48 PM
The Charter Arms Bulldog is not a 44Magnum. It's a 44 Special. Charter Arms firearms leave a lot to be desired in my book. I rate them along the lines of a Rossi. Cheap.............you get what you pay for. hpg

Woody_in_MN
August 13, 2006, 01:43 PM
The Charter Arms Bulldog is not a 44Magnum...
Yes - I think we have established that. I think I disagree with you on the Rossi. The Rossi is now built by Taurus. I can not comment on the design - but I think Taurus craftsmanship is 1st rate now.

- w

JERRY
August 13, 2006, 01:50 PM
the rossi and taurus revolvers were designed similar to the s&w guns. the charter arms were based on their own design, which ruger seemed to like a lot when they started to make d/a revolvers...

my experience with the c.a. .44spls i had was while the main pieces of the gun were descent, the cylinder stop ("shark fin" looking piece) was very thin compared to most any revolver, it wore down to the point that i could manually rotate the cylinder past it. the timing went out on one in about 100 rounds while the first one i had was timed poorly out of the box.

that said, the pathfinder " .22lr i had was a top notch little gun. its d/a trigger was stiff/heavy but smooth, and the s/a was crisp and reasonable.

of course it wasnt taking the beating of a .44spl round either.

that seemed to be the down fall, they tried to make a bigger under cover .38spl., but chambered in .44spl., and did nothing extra to the lock work to compensate for the stouter shock of firing the .44spl.

Woody_in_MN
August 13, 2006, 04:12 PM
Jerry,

Yes. I went out to the Charterarms site. It sounds like they did their own design that (according to them) was one of the lightest, with fewer moving parts. It seems like all their designs are really just variations of the original "Undercover".

- w

JERRY
August 13, 2006, 04:31 PM
the older guns like the orginal pathfinders, the orginal under covers, all the ones with the exposed ejector rod ala colt dick specials, the guns made in Stratford Ct. were what seems to be the best of the breed.
the bulldog, while still under the management from Stratford, was a hit ot miss design issue. these were the bulldogs with the exposed ejector rod. most were of descent quality, while some were abismol.

later they went under or changed to charco, out of Shelton Ct., where the bulldog "pug" came in,these guns seemed to be what turned out to be their final nail in the coffin for them.

now adays, the new charter 2000 guns look an awfull lot like the Shelton Charcos, if the designs is the same but q.c. has improved, you will have a gun that is good for a while, then crap after that....

i dont fault charter arms. the design was good, but the execusion was sub-par at best.

but you have to wonder, a company that starts out as Charter Arms in Stratford, then becomes Charco in Shelton, then becomes Charter 2000, then becomes Charter 2000 under Hi-Point......sounds like the Jimenez, Davis, Cobra type deal.......not very reassuring.

i would plop down my money for the old school bulldog .44spl with the 3" barrel and the exposed ejector rod with the "pocket hammer" as they called it....if i could hold it in my hands first...... the old school pathfinder i would buy on faith.

but i dont give a lot of weight to a field report of a gun that is hand selected by the manufacturer.

Woody_in_MN
August 13, 2006, 05:21 PM
Jerry,

Well yes. Charter is certainly not a player like Ruger, or S&W. For kicks I called the number off of the charterarms website - 866-769-4867. The recorded message said MKS marketer of Charter Arms. MKS markets Hi Point as well. So it looks like there is still some support out there for Charter - but you have a good point. There is some risk there in terms of continuting support.

- w

Woody_in_MN
August 13, 2006, 06:27 PM
Guys - this has been a good thread, and please keep it going if you want to.

As for me - I made a decision and commited to the Ruger SP101 357 mag w/ 3" barrel. I was a little concerend about the trigger pull - but I see there are spring "tune" kits that can be had for it. Most of the reviews on the SP101 I read say "very good gun..." to "best revolver I ever had." I'm also thinking of potential resale value. I just think if/when I go to sell - the Ruger will be easier to sell than the Charter Bull Dog. But I did like the Bull Dog. If Charter is around in a couple years, I may pick one up further down the road. Thanks to all for their thoughtful replies.

- w

JERRY
August 13, 2006, 07:10 PM
good choice.

the 3"~ sp101 is far superior to the 3"~ c.a. bulldog in my opinion.

yes it is a bit heavier, but it will stand up to a hell of a lot more shooting, is more versatile due to the popularity of the catridge, can be "sub loaded",

it is about the same size.......but the bottom line is the quality. ruger wins hands down, not because of refinements or finess, but plain old good quality.

Woody_in_MN
August 14, 2006, 11:16 AM
UPDATE.

The seller thru gunbroker.com - (webstore11 - Todd) even though less than 2 miles from me, will only do the transaction if the gun is shipped to a FFL, and Todd is an FFL!!! This will add about $40 on to the price of the SP101. I called Todd - but he will not work with me. So I am disputing the deal - and the SP101 will stay with webstore11 for now.

Stop the madness...

- w

HMMurdock
August 14, 2006, 12:32 PM
Thats ridiculous.

He might want it shipped so he has his arse covered in the area of a background check, but gun shops around here usually only charge $10 or so to do paperwork in a similar situation. That way the postal service doesnt have to be brought in ($$$) and they gun show owner still makes his money.

--Rugers are mag-freakin-nificent weapons. If you ever sell a Charter, good luck --When Charter sent my friend a replacement --a year after the fact-- the gun shops around here wouldn't give him squat for it or flat out refused it. No market, they said. He got lowballed but took it because he wanted rid of the cursed thing. I have handled many a Ruger (shot one last night at the range, actually), and they are built strong. Much thicker than even S&Ws or Colts and therefore they will outlive anything. Customize the trigger and its downright perfect.

And in my opinion, nothing tops a .357 Magnum.

Good luck, buddy.

TRL

Woody_in_MN
August 14, 2006, 01:04 PM
HM,

Thanks. I'm going to regroup here. I thought I saw a couple sp101's on gunsamerica - I'm headed there right now.

- w

Woody_in_MN
August 14, 2006, 05:27 PM
The saga continues...

I did get out to three shops today. I looked at a Rossi 357 2 inch barrel - I was not impressed with that. The best price around here I found for a sp101 w/ single/double action was $400. Another option I'm thinking about is the Charter Bull Dog Mag Pug for 357. Some people have concerns about the durability of Charter - but I would probably shoot 38 spl+ at the range. If I ever did CCW with it I would do 357 mags.

I'm starting to re-consider the Taurus 605. I could always fit that with larger grips. Kind of off the subject - but anyone have good, or bad luck with the 605?

- w

JERRY
August 14, 2006, 05:45 PM
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7552844&aa=%20Charter%20Arms%20%20Charter%20Arms,%20Bulldog%20Model,%20.44Spl%203

looky here.

like i said, the old school bull dogs were of better quality than the new ones.....

just an idea...

Woody_in_MN
August 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
Jerry,

OK - I'll search on those as well.

- w

Ronnie
August 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
Haven't had my 605 for very long. Little over a month. But it is as accurate as I am. I can hit cabbage and lettuce cores at 12-15 yards. The cores are about the size of a softball. Going to the range with it in a couple of weeks, I'll post some pics of my targets when I get back.

Whirlwind06
August 14, 2006, 11:28 PM
One point, Hi-Point did not buy C.A. MKS distributes both Hi-Points and Charter Arms.
I have the new Charter Arms 2000 Undercover .38.
Out of the box it had a bent ejector rod. Bent enough that the trigger was impossible to pull on some cylinders plus light hammer strikes. I sent it back and they fixed no problem. Work order said that they replaced the trigger and ejector. I shot about 300 to 400 rounds through it plus about triple that in dry-firing (I'm a 1911 guy. Wheel guns are hard to shoot for me) and the transfer bar broke. Sent it back again. They returned it in less then a week. New transfer bar and firing pin.

At first I was going to sell it and get something else. But now I'm not so sure. I know the resale for it will be crap for one thing. And I guess if I keep breaking it and they keep fixing it. I have other guns I can carry while it is getting repaired. Maybe I have worked out the bugs of this one and it will be fine now. If I do keep it I plan on keeping the round count down to about 50 a month.

Woody_in_MN
August 14, 2006, 11:46 PM
Whirl,

Geez - that's sobering. I tend to buy and sell so much, resale is something I have to build into the equation. To me this is the one area where I am taking on risk buying a Charter. I'm looking at Taurus 605, and also 617. If I could find a sp101 for under $400, I would go w/ the sp101. Some people write off Taurus right off the bat, but I've had great luck with the M66, and many Taurus semi-autos I've had. I have never had to send any Taurus in for any repair on anything - but I'm mainly an auto guy. I don't have as much experience with their revolvers.

I don't recall where I saw that Hi Point bought Charter - it may have been in a gun mag - but if this was mis-information I stand corrected. I do know that there is a connection between MKS and Charter from calling the Charter Arms help line.

Thanks,

- w

Woody_in_MN
August 15, 2006, 11:51 AM
UPDATE...

Feel free to keep the thread going - but dum luck interveened. I drove to my local Cabellas this am to look at a couple used 605's (which turned out to be out for service...hmmm...) and I mentioned the Taurus 617. The clerk said they just took a used one in last night. Well, I looked the 617 over - first thing I saw was it was titanium. I said "That titanium is ging to cost me...". The frame is just a tad bigger than the 605 that seemed too small. It had the "Tracker" rubber grips - those ribbed grips. Well I loved it. Long story short - out the door for a little over $350.

I would post pics but I don't have a digitial camera in the house right now. So that will have to wait. I don't know about accuracy - that will be tested tommorrow at the range.

I'm very happy so far w/ the 617.

- w

Woody_in_MN
August 17, 2006, 07:45 PM
Guys,

I shot the 617 yesterday. It seems pretty accurate. I will probably shoot it again in the next few days, and be a bit more scientific about it. It tends to shoot low - more than being off by "windage". I expect that this is just me getting used to the site.

Thanks for all the replies.

- w

hpg
August 17, 2006, 08:25 PM
I personally would not get a Charters Arms of any type. had them in the past, never again. Too cheaply built. hpg

Crosshair
August 18, 2006, 12:50 AM
I own an "Old Model" Bulldog with the exposed ejector rod. One common problem was people trying to make it into a 44 mag by handloading to much higher pressure.:uhoh: Mine is in very good condition and shoots very well. I plan on loading plinker loads for practice and carry the CCI Blazer Gold Dots for carry.

P0832177
August 18, 2006, 08:02 AM
Some people buy guns to shoot, and most inexpensive guns are not meant to shot a lot! Some are just meant to carried a lot, and then shot very little! You get what you pay for! A Ruger SP101 is a hearty gun! Experience level with guns means a lot more then posters admit to!

Woody_in_MN
August 18, 2006, 01:03 PM
Hi John.

RANGE UPDATE:

I have shot about 200 rounds from the 617. A lot of that today was from a rest. I can say the 617 is very accurate. Impressive from a 2 inch barrel.

- w

foghornl
August 18, 2006, 01:24 PM
I had one of the mid-70's vintage 44 Bulldogs. Only knock I had was the price of 44Spl ammo...Rem 240-gr SJHP in 44 Mag were less than $20/50, 44Spl ammo ran as much as $34/50.

bpisler
August 19, 2006, 08:05 AM
I have a mid 70's bulldog that's holding up
quite well,i've only put 1,500 rounds thru it
mostly 240 grain LSWC loaded to 750fps.It's
just as tight as it was when i bought it last
year but i doubt it outlast any of my S&W revolvers.But i knew that when i decided to
buy it.

GaryP
August 20, 2006, 12:28 AM
My Charter Arms .44 Spl Bulldog has been with me for over a quarter Century (purchased NIB with a Charter Arms #400 holster in 1980). I have put around 2000 rounds through it over the years, mostly 246gr RNL. These days for CCW it rides in a Bianchi #5BHL loaded with Georgia Arms 200gr Gold Dot HP (850 fps). It is as tight today as when purchased 26 years ago. The key to keeping one of these tight and reliable is using ammo that does not exceed somewhere around 900 fps. Mine is a first generation Bulldog but none of them have been designed to shoot a steady diet of +P or +P+ ammo.
I have never experienced a failure to fire with mine! :)

Cheers.

:evil:

P0832177
August 20, 2006, 04:42 PM
Woody,
There are many guns that are serviceable, but well they just are not going to be in it for the long haul. I know a guy that kept CA in his glove box, and well it was shook to you know what from being in work P/U truck. It was just not reliable. The dust of the farm basically acted as sand paper, ufda! Just as with anything inexensive you get what you pay for. And, most of the time there are to price tags! Buy right the first time. Some people will never learn, too! The Ruger SP101 is great value, and it is a very hearty gun!

Name off any brand, and you will find cheerleaders! But, when push comes to shove most inexpensive guns are simply not in it for the long haul! They were never meant to be!

Woody_in_MN
August 20, 2006, 05:14 PM
John - Thanks for your replies.

At this point I doubt I will pop for a CA. I am more interested in a SP101 3", or S&W 13 or 65. I know the K frames had problems with passing a lot of 357 loads. But I plan on taking mostly 38 spl +P to the range.

- w

halvey
August 22, 2006, 10:20 AM
Why don't you just spend a few bucks more and get a decent gun? I bet you spent $15 in gas per time just running to Cabelas to look. You spend more money running around trying to make the decision. It adds up over time.

A good friend of mine bought one and loved it. That is, until we took it to the range This seems to be the case a lot of times. Everyone loves their gun, until they actually shoot the thing over a couple hundred rounds. I have a Kimber that I've put easily 10k through. The original owner put at least that much through it before me. I have a buckmark I must have 20k through.

Tell me how great your guns are when you have that many rounds through them. Carrying a gun for 20 years with 1k rounds through it is nothing.

P0832177
August 22, 2006, 01:27 PM
Some people will never get it that is for sure! They fail to exhibit any sense of the idea that cheap and inexpensive equates to no credible durability. But, hey it is their money, time, gas, and cheap entertainment to read the self styled musing of those who do not get it! :neener:

Woody_in_MN
August 22, 2006, 01:43 PM
Guys,

I'm not sure what the "it" is to get here. Some of us - like me - enjoy owning a number of guns. Some rather expensive - some not. This is a HOBBY. It costs money. If we are a little careful we only spend a little money - and don't loose our shirts.

I think to each his own as long as one of you don't end up killing me while I'm shooting with you.

- w

BTW - I think I tired of this thread. later...

halvey
August 22, 2006, 01:54 PM
If we are a little careful we only spend a little money - and don't loose our shirts. My point exactly. Factor in the cost of gas, FFL fees, shipping etc, and I bet there's a lot more $$ into certain guns than you think. Some of us - like me - enjoy owning a number of guns.There's a guy we both know that has a lot of guns. I don't think he's sold maybe a few over the years. He researches, then lives with the decision. That's the way to do it.

Make a list of all the guns you've ever had. Jot down the price, plus shipping, FFL fees, gas, costs to get into the gunshow etc. Then look at what you sell them for minus your shipping, FFL fees, gas, costs to get into the gunshow etc. See how much that last gun really cost you.

I think to each his own as long as one of you don't end up killing me while I'm shooting with you. Or is is the other way around?:evil:

Dude, you asked for advice and we gave it to you. Sorry it's not what you want to hear.

Woody_in_MN
August 23, 2006, 10:17 PM
Halvey,

Quote:

Dude, you asked for advice and we gave it to you. Sorry it's not what you want to hear.

If you go to page one of the thread you will see that I was looking opinions on Charter Arms revolvers - preferably from previous owners. I did not "want" to hear anything special one way or another. I was asking for opinions from Charter owners. I got this. Many had good experiences - some had bad. I was not asking for advise. It seems like you are intent on giving it none the less. So - like I said I'm out of here. This thread anyway.

- w

halvey
August 24, 2006, 07:59 AM
If you go to page one of the thread you will see that I was looking opinions on Charter Arms revolvers Uh, sure. But then you went back and forth and talked about anything but a Charter:
Kind of off the subject - but I held a Taurus 605 today. That gun is tiny! At least for my hands. I also held a tracker 357.The Taurus 605 comes in a 3" - but that 605 is just too small for my hands and my purposes. I agree with you about the Taurus brand. When I was a kid - some thirty years ago - the Taurus was cheap, and looked it. Not any more. The Taurus's are a great value I think. I know I can get a NEW Taurus M65 SS (brushed finish) 4" barrel for about $300 plus shipping. That option has been on my mind too. But maybe too close a gun to the M66 SS 6" barrel I have?

Still stewing...
To complicate matters, I found a local guy that has a used but mint Ruger SP101 w/ a 3' barrel, that I can probably get for $325. Decisions...decisions...As for me - I made a decision and commited to the Ruger SP101 357 mag w/ 3" barrel.The seller thru gunbroker.com - (webstore11 - Todd) even though less than 2 miles from me, will only do the transaction if the gun is shipped to a FFL, and Todd is an FFL!!! This will add about $40 on to the price of the SP101. I called Todd - but he will not work with me. So I am disputing the deal - and the SP101 will stay with webstore11 for now.Thanks. I'm going to regroup here. I thought I saw a couple sp101's on gunsamerica - I'm headed there right now.I did get out to three shops today. I looked at a Rossi 357 2 inch barrel - I was not impressed with that. The best price around here I found for a sp101 w/ single/double action was $400. Another option I'm thinking about is the Charter Bull Dog Mag Pug for 357.I'm starting to re-consider the Taurus 605.I'm looking at Taurus 605, and also 617. If I could find a sp101 for under $400, I would go w/ the sp101. Some people write off Taurus right off the bat,Well, I looked the 617 over - first thing I saw was it was titanium. I said "That titanium is ging to cost me...". The frame is just a tad bigger than the 605 that seemed too small. It had the "Tracker" rubber grips - those ribbed grips. Well I loved it. Long story short - out the door for a little over $350.At this point I doubt I will pop for a CA. I am more interested in a SP101 3", or S&W 13 or 65.:scrutiny: :scrutiny: :scrutiny: :scrutiny: :scrutiny:

jondar
August 24, 2006, 01:10 PM
I have one of the "old" ones made in Stratford, Conn. It is a Target Bulldog, 4" barrell, shrouded ejector rod and adjustable sights. I'm not sure how this differs from the Police Bulldog described above, but sounds very similar. I shoot mine a lot as I have three handguns chambered in this caliber and handload it and always have plenty of ammo. Light loads are a pleasure to shoot, medium heavy loads a little uncomfortable, and the really heavy loadings like the Keith 1200 fps are brutal. If I apply for a carry permit this will be my choice for CC. I have an old (1977) American Rifleman magazine describing in detail how this revolver was tested before issuing it to a police department in a town in Connecticut, name of town escapes me.

dksathr
September 4, 2006, 07:27 PM
I have an old American Bulldog 38. Can anyone tell me how to find out when it was made? I looks just like one at this link

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6007235

gunguy05
September 4, 2006, 11:16 PM
POS

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!