Police Officer draws weapon on SC Lt. Governor

PDA

Sportcat
May 6, 2003, 06:37 PM
Should be interesting to see how this pans out. We'll see how the "investigation" goes.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1266701&nav=0RaMFfK2

If you enjoyed reading about "Police Officer draws weapon on SC Lt. Governor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Darrin
May 6, 2003, 07:16 PM
I thought it was a 'given' if you get out of your vehical to approach the LEO without LEO's consent, then it's an "aggressive manner."

Or maybe I watched to much TV as a kid... :uhoh:

Bowlcut
May 6, 2003, 07:26 PM
thats one of those big....oooops...by both parties :D

and one of my friends said he always got out of the car and started walking back during a traffic stop. my reply was "are you nuts :what: "

Well the officer was in the right IMHO....stupid politition was probaly trying to come tell the LEO he had no right to pull him over....

sad that the gov had a license to carry, and didnt have it on him....and then on top of that doesnt know proper ediquite when getting pulled over.....sheesh

blades67
May 6, 2003, 07:41 PM
What was he thinking driving 65 in a 35 and running red lights?!:scrutiny:

spacemanspiff
May 6, 2003, 08:08 PM
on his way to discuss hidden agendas with other smiley gladhands, perhaps?

Loach
May 6, 2003, 08:25 PM
I had to opportunity to briefly meet Lt Gov Bauer at the Grassroots Gunrights South Carolina annual gathering last fall and thought of him as one of the 'good guys'. But if it happened as the article implies, that's just plain stupid of him.

I'm disappointed Andre....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

BuckeyePPC
May 6, 2003, 08:52 PM
Article says the officer pulled his service revolver. Is there still a police force that issues a service revolver ?

Sportcat
May 7, 2003, 06:52 AM
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/5803150.htm

Also, from what I have seen, the City of Columbia Police Officers have a variety of sidearms... I've seen Sigs, Berettas (some with Crimson Trace laser sights), and revolvers.

HerbG
May 7, 2003, 08:20 AM
Alabama has this wonderfully well thought out law that prohibits LE from detaining or arresting any state legislator for traffic violations while the State Legislature is in session. Basically they can drive any way they please, and LE can do nothing. Of course legislators AND LE driving 120 MPH pose no threat to the public!

45King
May 7, 2003, 08:33 AM
Interesting thing....apparently there is still a law in effect in SC that no legislator's car can be stopped when the "'lege" is in session if the vehicle is headed towards the state capital.

I tested it one night when I blew by a patrolman doing 120 in Grandpa's Lincoln with 'lege plates....patrolman didn't bat an eye. At least I was on the open road, though. It's really stupid to be drving through downtown Cola at 60 mph during the daytime....that SHOULD earn him a reckless driving ticket, not just a speeding ticket...IF he doesn't invoke "legislative immunity." Sheesh.

Ol' Badger
May 7, 2003, 08:50 AM
Some sall towns still have Peace Officers that use wheel guns. Nothing wrong with them, they still work fine!

HankB
May 7, 2003, 09:09 AM
there is still a law in effect in SC that no legislator's car can be stopped when the "'lege" is in session Is the Lt. Governor in SC technically a legislator? I thought he'd be part of the Executive branch. (Unless he serves as President of the SC Senate or something?)

bedlamite
May 7, 2003, 09:33 AM
HankB:
(Unless he serves as President of the SC Senate or something?)

From the article:

Bauer was on his way to the Senate, where he presides as president.

Is Reckless driving in SC considered a felony? If so, this maneuver could cost him both his gun and voting rights.

Sportcat
May 7, 2003, 11:06 AM
The Lt. Governor does provide over the State Senate in South Carolina.

On the radio this morning he said the he would NOT envoke his legislative immunity. He thought that was plain stupid.

He did agree that we was speeding (but not 60) and that he did blow through some lights. His biggest gripe is that the officer drew his weapon on him.

The saga continues...

TechBrute
May 7, 2003, 12:19 PM
I can actually see why a legislator shouldn't be detained, but they shouldn't have immunity.

Before everyone starts jumping down my throat about elitism and such, I believe that was put in place to keep the local fuzz from affecting votes by detaining certain legislators that weren't voting the way they'd like.

TheeBadOne
May 7, 2003, 07:30 PM
I tested it one night when I blew by a patrolman doing 120 in Grandpa's Lincoln with 'lege plates....patrolman didn't bat an eye.
I think that patrolman would need the vison of a eagle, or a hawk at the very least to see what type of plates you had on when you blew by him at 120... :D

May 7, 2003, 08:22 PM
WOW

By the way, the second link mentions that the police officer was carry a semi-auto in .40 S&W.

Sportcat
May 7, 2003, 08:36 PM
This story has been all over the news the poast couple of days (obviously, I've been posting story links).

The Lt. Governor held a press conference today and once again apologized. Still curious if the investigation will amount to anything.

I think our local police have the dashboard cams. I'm hoping this officer has one - should answer a lot of questions.

Matt G
May 7, 2003, 09:33 PM
Police Chief and interim City Manager Charles Austin says police will conduct an internal investigation to determine whether the officer acted properly by drawing his gun.
Sure. There'll be an investigation. And the cop'll come out of it just fine. As he should in this case.

Vanhouten saw a silver Ford F-150 pickup with dealer tag number XX 21885 traveling on Assembly toward the Capitol. The truck ran a red light at Calhoun, the police report said.Didn't have legislative plates.

Not a "service revolver": Vanhouten said he pulled out his .40-caliber semiautomatic handgun and took cover behind the cruiser door. He aimed at Bauer, ordered him to stop and demanded, "'Show me your hands,'" said Austin, who also is interim city manager.Surprise. Original news report just mislabeled it.

Also, an officer has the right to stop an active breach of the peace. It's only in court that the legislative defense is good. Dunno how it is in SC, but in TX, "Reckless Driving" is a Class B (not a citation type Class C) offense. (Though they mention a $400+ "ticket".)

I've been in the officer's position, and, when you're alone on the side of the road with a guy who's already shown reckless disregard for public safety and has possibly given other clues (the report mentions that the officer observed the pickup to "take off", pulling away from him after the officer activated his emergency lights. Perhaps that was just the esteemed Lt. Gov hitting his stride, but it looks a LOT like someone fleeing. That's a danger signal, which the cop would be a fool not to heed. When he finally gets the guy stopped, the man comes running back at the cop. Occasionally, bad guys decide that they don't want to be taken to jail pursuant to traffic stops. :) Also occasionally, bad guys don't look like what we think "bad guys" should look like.

Geech
May 7, 2003, 09:43 PM
Unable to get out of his car in time, Vanhouten drew his service revolver and ordered the Bauer to stop and raise his hands. The report says the man complied, at which time, Vanhouten frisked Bauer.

It was only then that the officer recognized the lieutenant governor.

"Wait, I've felt this crevice before!" :D

rdcinmn
May 7, 2003, 11:14 PM
I wonder how long LAPD would have beat on him before they reconized who he was?:what:

LiquidTension
May 8, 2003, 06:36 AM
This guy is cool on gun rights, but he's not the brightest person I've ever met. He pulled up to a CHARITY event in a brand new, bright yellow HUMMER one time :rolleyes: It was the H2, but this was before anybody else had them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Police Officer draws weapon on SC Lt. Governor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!