I Can't Hear You, I've Got A .45 In My Ear...

PDA

SuperNaut
August 10, 2006, 06:35 PM
The guy next to me at the range yesterday had .45 ACP's in his ears instead of earplugs, IMO .380's would've probably fit better.

If you enjoyed reading about "I Can't Hear You, I've Got A .45 In My Ear..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TMM
August 10, 2006, 06:42 PM
depends on ear size. 9mm fits me well.

Impala
August 10, 2006, 06:42 PM
now that's a strange choice for hearing protection, i'm hesitant to put live ammunition in my ears however

freedom and guns
August 10, 2006, 06:43 PM
That's funny! :) HAHAHA

Justin
August 10, 2006, 06:44 PM
I'm told that people used to do this in the days of yore before foam ear plugs were readily available.

Doing that today, however, is just stupid.

Erebus
August 10, 2006, 06:44 PM
Ar first I though you meant he had the gun in his ear like that photo that turns up from time to time.

SuperNaut
August 10, 2006, 06:54 PM
What would he have done if he had been shooting a 30-06 over in the rifle pits I wonder?:)

carterbeauford
August 10, 2006, 06:58 PM
Wonder what the chances are of a richochet hitting the primer? Probably pretty slim, but I don't like anything weighing 230 grains with gunpowder behind it pointing at my skull.

Danger aside, that had to be uncomfortable :scrutiny:

SuperNaut
August 10, 2006, 07:04 PM
I must admit, when I got home and nobody was looking, I stuck .45's in my ears to see if they would fit.

They did. :D ;)

shermacman
August 10, 2006, 07:09 PM
Yup, those silicone plugs are just soooo expensive. Any your eardrums will always grow back.

Sheesh.

Justin
August 10, 2006, 07:13 PM
Danger aside, that had to be uncomfortable

And of dubious utility.

Zundfolge
August 10, 2006, 07:18 PM
I'm told that people used to do this in the days of yore before foam ear plugs were readily available.
Days of yore? You mean back when most ammo was unjacketed lead?

:scrutiny:

Justin
August 10, 2006, 07:20 PM
I should have done a better description.

They would use empty shell casings. Not loaded rounds.

Unless the old gummer was just pullin' my leg.

SuperNaut
August 10, 2006, 07:25 PM
Y'know I did just ass-u-me that they were full rounds, but they very well could have been just casing. If I had been closer I could have spied if the primers were intact. The guy would probably have gotten nervous if I got close enough for that.

DoubleTapDrew
August 10, 2006, 08:40 PM
Y'know I did just ass-u-me that they were full rounds, but they very well could have been just casing. If I had been closer I could have spied if the primers were intact. The guy would probably have gotten nervous if I got close enough for that.
Especially if you had a hammer and a spare firing pin in your hands :D
I've heard of that, never tried it. It makes me nervous too even though the odds of anything setting it off are almost nill.

lawson
August 10, 2006, 08:43 PM
when i was a kid we would put spent .38 shells in our ears as earplugs. we never suffered any hearing damage. it took years of playing rock and roll in smoky bars to do that :banghead:

now i use proper ear protection, both when shooting and rocking out.

Cliff47
August 10, 2006, 10:24 PM
Wonder what that fellow wears when he shoots his mouth off?? Just asking, inquiring minds are running amok with options.

10-Ring
August 10, 2006, 10:31 PM
huh? :scrutiny: 45 acp in the ears? Okay...:confused:

dm1333
August 10, 2006, 10:35 PM
Not enough to work with for Myth Busters but I wonder how much shell casings reduce the db level. A WWII era uncle was about stone deaf from being in the Coast Artillery before the war, then field artillery in Africa and Europe. My grandfather was a WWI Navy vet and a hunter but he wore home made wax ear plugs and he had great hearing.

Jackal
August 10, 2006, 10:40 PM
Well, at least he wasnt shooting a .50cal. He may have had his ears stretched like some of those african tribes.:neener:

Biker
August 10, 2006, 10:41 PM
Back in the day, I used cigarette butts.:o

Biker

Exposure
August 10, 2006, 10:46 PM
True story.

My very first handgun was an Auto-Ordnance 1911 clone that I still own.

When I picked it up the first thing I did was buy a box of ammo and headed for the local sand pit.

I loaded the magazine, racked the slide, took aim, and fired.

OOOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Who would have known a pistol was so loud without hearing protection!

Well I was all the way out there, had my very own pistol, and no hearing protection.

What to do? Yep, I stuffed a couple of live rounds in my ears and proceded to burn through the rest of that box of ammo, save for 2 rounds that kepts my ears safe!

These days I use slightly better hearing protection, but on that day I used what was at hand!

jman74
August 10, 2006, 10:54 PM
I did this once when I was working on a .45 of mine. I walked to the wood line to fire off a few rounds and noticed I didn't have any plugs with me. Would I recommend it, no, but for a few rounds that day it worked just fine.

'Card
August 10, 2006, 10:57 PM
"...with .45 casings in your ears, you hear only in vowels."

hso
August 10, 2006, 11:50 PM
had .45 ACP's in his ears instead of earplugs

He probably can't hear anyway and thinks that's doing some good.

mrtgbnkr
August 10, 2006, 11:56 PM
I remember seeing a picture of a cop providing security at a Beatles concert who had pulled a couple of .38 rounds out and used them as ear plugs to try to deal with all the screaming...not sure if I'll be able to find the picture, but I'll look.

Wes Janson
August 11, 2006, 12:04 AM
I actually had a rather old fellow once use a pair of live 230 grainers as earplugs while he helped show me how to shoot, at an otherwise empty indoor range. Didn't seem bothered by it, mentioned something about it being an old trick he had picked up years and years ago.

Probably a trick about as old as cased ammunition.

Kim
August 11, 2006, 12:56 AM
Well this is not as unusual as you guys think. I use 9mm and they work fine. I do not think they will get lost in my ears. That would be impossible. I have taken alot of things out of peoples ears ( roaches, small beads) but never something as big as 9mm. Maybe a small .22 could get stuck but it would not work for plugging the ear. The chance of this hurting you is less than being stuck by lightening on a clear day. Good Grief. :rolleyes:

Dave R
August 11, 2006, 01:03 AM
depends on ear size. 9mm fits me well. Me, too.

What? You guys have never gone plinking, and left your hearing protection at home? And had to use field-expedient substitutes?

They work just fine. Not as comfortable as foam plugs or muffs, but they sure block the sound. Empty brass, of course!! The loaded rounds are heavier and less comfortable.

Looks funny, but if its just you and the guys--who cares?

Christianninja
August 11, 2006, 01:05 AM
This is actually used in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Except it was used to block out a malicous buzzing produced by trans-dimensional alien creatures....

SuperNaut
August 11, 2006, 11:37 AM
This is actually used in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Except it was used to block out a malicous buzzing produced by trans-dimensional alien creatures...

Now that is a use I can understand.

Harry Paget Flashman
August 11, 2006, 03:50 PM
.45 ACP? I don't think so. Need a rimmed case for easier extraction.

Red Tornado
August 11, 2006, 04:10 PM
So how about trimming some soft ear plugs to fit in spent shell casings? Should work well, and be a neat gun accessory. I guess I have to see if I'm a 9mm or a .45 when I get home. :scrutiny:
RT

AKAMac
August 11, 2006, 07:41 PM
Ye gads........ a thread on the best calibre for hearing protection.
I can now say...... I HAVE SEEN IT ALL.......:)

jamz
August 11, 2006, 09:04 PM
I'm going downstairs to try this right now. What caliber for aggressive, hostile decibels? :uhoh:

Edit: my ears must be small and unmanly because 9mm fits pretty well. .38 rim is okay but dislodges easily. .45acp is way too big.

Unloaded is best such that the weight does not wiggle them loose.

I think the biggest danger is something accidentally hitting the side of your head and the case breaking your eardrum.

If you enjoyed reading about "I Can't Hear You, I've Got A .45 In My Ear..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!