Check out this cleaner/protectant!

PDA

Fatelvis
August 10, 2006, 07:43 PM
I am no way affiliated with this product, but I watched the demos on this webpage, http://www.strike-hold.com/strike-hold.htmand think maybe this stuff might be worth a try! What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Check out this cleaner/protectant!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
August 10, 2006, 11:20 PM
I saw it dissolve the styrofoam cup. Will it do the same for the plastic parts on your AR? Mebbe the BradyCampaign could buy some and field test it.

Superpsy
August 11, 2006, 02:42 AM
I saw it dissolve the styrofoam cup. Will it do the same for the plastic parts on your AR? Mebbe the BradyCampaign could buy some and field test it.

good call. :)

Azrael256
August 11, 2006, 03:07 AM
NO!
Strike-Hold contains a chlorinated solvent.

Strike-Hold II looks like machine oil, lighter fluid, and Butyl Cellosolve... a carpet cleaner... and some kind of "proprietary corrosion control additive." It won't eat your guns, but I'm not super impressed.

Lebben-B
August 11, 2006, 05:23 AM
We got a-hold of some while we were deployed. It was average for cleaning and not quite as good as Militec for lubrication. FWIW, it didn't damage any of the plastic parts on our weapons.

Mike

Dr. Dickie
August 11, 2006, 06:03 AM
Generally nylon (the hard plastic used in a lot of guns) is resistant to most organic solvents. Chlorinated solvents is not one of them.
Chlorinated solvents are not corrosive to metal per se. Chlorides are corrosive (as in the second half of sodium chloride). So you do not have to be afraid of corrosion of the metal (unless you know for sure it breaks down into chlorides--and most solvents do not); however, if you have nylon on your gun it may be impacted by the chlorinated solvent (usually something like trichloroethylene).

kahr404life
August 11, 2006, 07:43 AM
Looks good.

HankB
August 11, 2006, 08:33 AM
Dissolving a styrofoam cup doesn't impress me - common gasoline will do that, as will countless other common solvents.

Mac Attack
August 11, 2006, 08:50 AM
I have been using it Strike hold for the past two years with great results. It does a great job of getting down into the fowling and makes a great lubricant. I have not noticed any abnormal wear or 'melting' of any non metal parts. I use Strike hold as a prep to my normal Hopps #9 solvent and usually leave it on overnight and then follow up with Hopps #9.

If you enjoyed reading about "Check out this cleaner/protectant!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!