Share your CWP OOPS stories

PDA

Carbon_15
January 4, 2003, 05:08 PM
I'll go first.

Made a trip to the local mall today and my CCW came along. I stoped at a local pizza joint on the way and since the restaurant served beer I had to leave my gun in the car. When I got to the mall, I retreved my weapon and holster from the glove box, took a quick look around, and started straping it back on. Now, getting a 239 in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB on while seated under the stearing wheel of a small coupe can be a bit of a pain. I'm concentrating on getting the gun in place and not much else, and so is the terrified soccer mom in the Expedition next to me...who looks something like:what: . I looked around for folks standing near by, but didn't notice her sitting in her vehicle waiting on Trevor and Buffy to get back from Abercrombie. I guess sometimes people do pay attention...Thats what I get for being so darn handsome (or ugly?? :p ). To ease her pain, I cranked the car and left post haste, fully expectiong to run into a road block and a swarm of SWAT chopers...but I made it to another mall just fine.
Bet she has already told the story of how she foiled a mass shooting a dozen times over Avon and Arbor Mist.

If you enjoyed reading about "Share your CWP OOPS stories" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HS/LD
January 4, 2003, 05:21 PM
If you absolutely HAVE to temporarily remove your pistol.... leave the hoslter on and throw the pistol in the glove box. Easier to re-holster the gun that to re-rig the holster.

HS/LD

Gunsmoke
January 4, 2003, 08:49 PM
Carbon_15, where do you live that you have to take your gun off because an establishment sells beer, or alcohol. Here, (Texas) if the profit from alcohol sales is not more than 51%, you can carry as long as you're not drinking of course.

GS

berettaman
January 4, 2003, 11:07 PM
I had just arrived home from work and went inside.I noticed I hadn't taken out the trash in the morning when I left and the smell hit me.As I had entered the door I'd naturally tossed my jacket on the kitchen chair.Not thinking I just grabbed the trash and headed for the trash cans outside.As I was returning to the front door the neighbor was stareing at me with a horrified look and a cell phone to her ear.She yelled at me,"the police are on their way you crazy SOB".I noticed my faupax and just smiled why I left her to her paranoia.About ten minutes later a knock on the door came and low and behold it was the police.I answered the door still armed and was told that they were checking out a "man with a gun" call.We quickly discussed the situation of the paranoid neighbor,both knowing that I hadn't done anything illegal but he had come over to just passify the neighbor.Not real interesting of a tale.:neener:

P.S. One week later the neighbors(an alternitive lifestyle couple) were robbed at gun point while unloading groceries from their trunk.They were tied up and beaten.So who's the crazy SOB now!

dave
January 4, 2003, 11:36 PM
Pretty funny guys. But I've never made any dumb mistakes. :eek:

At least not any I'd own up to. Way I look at it, if I make a mistake and there's no one around to see it (you know the feeling, something stupid happens and the first thing we do is look around to see if anyone was watching :scrutiny: ) then it didn't happen.

I knew a guy that had weird things happen to him all the time. He was usualy alone when they happened but he would always come into the station and say "Hey guys, let me tell you about what just happened to me!". DUH.

So my story is that nothing embarrasing has ever happened to me. Ever. Well, you've never SEEN anything happen to me, have you?

Yes sir, that's my story. And I'm sticking to it! :p

Hardtarget
January 4, 2003, 11:47 PM
I don't think I've been "made" yet. I know of three or four times when my coat exposed my pistol, but I couldn't see that anyone spotted it. I was getting out of a vehicle. My wife has spotted firearms on two occasions while we were shopping. I missed both of those.
Mark.

TearsOfRage
January 7, 2003, 01:34 PM
Hey, Gunsmoke, that's nothing. Here in NH, we can carry into bars, and while drinking. :neener:

The law prohibits hunting or target practicing while drunk, but makes no mention of carrying or of using a gun for other purposes.

El Tejon
January 7, 2003, 01:41 PM
Oops--rushing off to class one fine morning, pulled into McDonald's for coffee brushed aside my jacket and reached into my port pocket for change and noticed that I had an empty bug holster on my belt.

Hmmmm, where would it be? Doh, I left it on the hotel room's bathroom sink.

When I got back to the room the cleaning crew was trying to decide if it was a real arma de feugo or not. Silly gringo leaving guns around.:o

TarpleyG
January 7, 2003, 01:43 PM
berettaman,

P.S. One week later the neighbors(an alternitive lifestyle couple) were robbed at gun point while unloading groceries from their trunk.They were tied up and beaten.So who's the crazy SOB now!
That's priceless!!!

GT

dairycreek
January 7, 2003, 01:52 PM
Was in Toys R Us in the state's largest city when I ran into an off duty LEO from our smaller home town. As we briefly chatted a woman came up to him and asked if he would help her get a toy which was located on a high shelf. He said yes. And, as he reached for the box his jacket came up to reveal his gun in an IWB holster. I say the look on the woman's face which ranged from horror to pure shock - but she didn't say a word as she walked away. It wasn't long before she came back with two of the large city's "finest" in tow and pointed out the off duty LEO as being a "crook with a gun". The local police actualy had their Glocks pointed at him as they put him up against the wall, removed his weapon, and found his police ID. After a few unkind words the local police returned his weapon and left. I saw the LEO a few days later at home and he told me that his chief had "carved him a new one" because the chief of the big city PD had called him about the actions of his officer. The local chief said, "Remember -------, concealed means concealed - no exceptions." A word to the wise.

teppo-shu
January 7, 2003, 02:04 PM
Went on a picnic/fishing outing w/ my son's cub scout den a couple years ago. My CCW was riding along in a fanny pack, which was not designed for weapon carry (one of those hiking types, w/ water bottle holders).

I had forgotten to zip the pack closed on exiting the car, and when I bent down to fetch something, bloooopp!!! :uhoh: out tumbled the pistol (in its holster) right in front of all the moms.

I learned - NO MORE fanny packs!! :scrutiny:

sm
January 7, 2003, 02:12 PM
I haven't "oops" yet with weapon.
I have had to watch pocket change and spent casings a time or two at the checkout.
And to remember to empty bed of truck of shell casings--don't want to advertise any ideas.

P95Carry
January 7, 2003, 02:27 PM
Don't think I've had a real ''oops'' yet but maybe been a tad close.

Biggest prob is summertime, when I change my P95 and sho rig for waste holster and snubby. Trouble with this is ...... even a long t shirt makes for quite a wrestling match when going to a pocket! I expect there have been times when the gun has ''printed'' perhaps but ..... here it is not worth risking careless exposure .. it can be enough to have permit revoked.

Only times I don't worry about it are at home .. or other private property ... then I will not bother about it being seen over much ... on other hand, in deference to any passers by (when in front yard) who might get paranoid - an element of ''diplomacy'' is I think always ''prudent''!!!

Blackhawk
January 7, 2003, 02:41 PM
If you absolutely HAVE to temporarily remove your pistol.... leave the hoslter on and throw the pistol in the glove box. Easier to re-holster the gun that to re-rig the holster.Absolutely! There's no problem with carrying a holster into a no CCW place.

Greg L
January 7, 2003, 02:53 PM

But how much did you have to pay your friend to do this to them? :D

We always seem to say that "someday" they'll get their's. Must have been nice to have been around to see that "someday" come.

Greg

BlackArrow
January 7, 2003, 10:55 PM
If there is one, I "choose not to go there"! I am convinced that the closer you keep your weapon the better. I do have to take it off for momma, that would be bad, kiss, kiss, boom, boom.
Make all the rules you want, I'm looking after #1 and his family. If you're cool about it you should never be "printed" if you are claim it to be that the person is so exciting you got an......... I use a pager pal and you'd have a hard time printing me.

lilbiggun
January 8, 2003, 01:00 AM
The dumbest thing I have done while carrying is when I went to vote. I'm so used to carrying that I got out of my truck and entered the building to vote. Stopped, turned around and went back to my truck and removed my Glock. My voting place is in a school. I have no kids and it never crossed my mind because I dont go to a school anymore for any reason (except to vote). I know I was still on school premises but it was wiser to put it back in the truck. oops.

larry_minn
January 8, 2003, 01:40 AM
Just after getting my first handgun. S&W 66-2 4" and was helping with square baling of hay. I had a &6 uncle micks holster and the strap got opened by bale and gun fell out. I had to do some walking to find the gun as it fell off hayrack. I was worried I might never find it or it would be in load and posibly cocked by bales on trip to shed.

El Rojo
January 8, 2003, 02:21 AM
I don't see the point of not being armed. I have a CCW, whether they think I should have it there or not, I am going to pack. If I am running into a bar for something (it ain't going to be for beer), I am not going to take the gun out of my pants to run in. Same goes for schools, even though I recently learned that it is legal for us CCW holders to carry on school grounds in the PRK. The only time anyone is going to figure out you are packing is when you draw and shoot someone. Well and the blunders that people occassionally have as we now know. :rolleyes:

WonderNine
January 8, 2003, 03:05 AM
I don't understand you guys that take your CCW off when you 'go to the game', or 'stop at a pizza joint because they may serve some alcohol', or 'go to a school', or 'go to work' ect. I carry mine EVERYWHERE. Absolutely, because last I heard, Murphy's Law was still in effect.

The only time I don't have my CCW weapon with me is when I have to go to the courthouse, because they have a metal detector, but that is almost never and the only reason I don't have it with me up to the door is because I don't have a CCP.

It's funny El Rojo, it seems like these guys get into more trouble trying to leave their CCW behind or telling police about than if they just acted normally.

Pendragon
January 8, 2003, 04:53 AM
I agree with that ^

If you got a permit and its concealed, I would just go everywhere there aint detectors.

Almost the only way to get pinched is if you have to draw/shoot and then, thats the least of your worries...

jsalcedo
January 8, 2003, 05:26 AM
Normally I have to watch out bending over and picking things up
because I have one of those thick leather belts with the loop sewn in that holds my 1911 over my right rear pocket. Same goes for reaching a high shelf.

The main problem I have is encountering folks who are touchy feely.. mostly elderly ladies asking me for the time. They attempt to get my attention by unwittingly putting their hand on my CCW.

This has happened in line at the grocery store, movie theater and at a garage sale. I guess I live in a friendly town.

Needless to say each time their hand hits cold hard metal
they quickly draw their hand back and stammer a barely audiable
"do you have the time ssssirrr.."

I have tried different carry locations to try to prevent people
inadvertently bumping or casually touching my CCW to no avail.

Marko Kloos
January 8, 2003, 08:53 AM
239 in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB

Good taste in guns and holsters. I tote a P226 and a 1911 in the Summer Comfort...works like a charm.

Easier to re-holster the gun that to re-rig the holster.

Bingo. If I ever unstrap my main CCW for some reason, I just leave the gun in the glove box and lock it. I only do that if detection would be unavoidable, i.e. metal detectors at the courthouse.

El Tejon
January 8, 2003, 10:42 AM
WonderNine, I think their concern over carrying where pizza or alcohol is served is Good Guys' concern over complying with their states' law. While this prohibitions over 51%, .02, pizza are inane and I am thankful I do not live with any of this silliness, it does demonstrate that only the good people are concerned with doing what the criminal code sez.

Soap
January 8, 2003, 11:00 AM
I haven't done anything silly nor have I been made yet. But one time El Tejon and I were going to the range to do some shotgun and pistol work. We were open carrying of course when we stopped to get gas on the way there. We stepped out of the vehicle and the two younger guys getting gas next to us just stared at us with their mouths open. They were whispering to each other and then I looked over at them and they sort of snapped to attention. It was quite funny! Another time I was open carrying at the same gas station on the way to the same range. This time a guy in a Probe drove up onto the curb because he was looking at me! Ahh...the joys of open carry.

Edward429451
January 8, 2003, 11:19 AM
I went to visit my friends and upon entering their place their kid did one of those running up fling their arms around me hugs and ran right into my CCW with his forehead. Small bump on noggin. I felt pretty bad about it then but its kind of funny now.

Seminole
January 8, 2003, 11:23 AM
"Remember -------, concealed means concealed - no exceptions." A word to the wise.

My brother-in-law got "made" in a movie theater in Birmingham, AL. When he stood up after the movie to put on his jacket, his shirt rode up over his CCL. Someone behind him obviously spotted it, because he was approached in the parking lot on his way to his car by a couple of members of the local PD. They simply asked if he had a permit, then reminded him that he needed to do a better job of keeping his weapon concealed.

One of the nice things about Tennessee's permit is that it is a handgun permit--NOT a "concealed carry" permit. Since open carry is technically legal, there is no need to worry about such accidentally uncovering.

One of the bad things about Tennessee's permit is that it is a handgun permit--not a "concealed weapon" permit. When I lived in Florida I could legally carry anything that I could conceal--from a machete to an MP5. Here you can't even carry a baton unless you can prove you've gotten "training" from a state-approved instructor. I suppose I can be trusted with a pistol, but not a stick! Never mind my years of weapons training in traditional Okinwan kobudo--that was out of state and therefore doesn't count.

HeadCleaver
January 8, 2003, 12:29 PM
Well this didn't happen to me, but it was an oops. A friend of mine was working at a local hospital as a therapist. During work he had a siezure. He wasn't aware he was susceptible to siezures at the time. They immediately transported him to the ER. One of his co-workers went through his fanny pack. Fanny packs are pretty common in healthcare for carrying scissors, tape, meds, etc. Thats when they found his Walther PPK. He was fired before he awoke.

Chris Rhines
January 8, 2003, 12:51 PM
Only one major error, hopefully I learned from it.

One time I wandered out of the house with my carry pistol empty. I had been dryfiring my carry gun, loaded magazines stowed in the safety tupperware, and I forgot to recharge the gun before leaving. Serious oops, I could have smacked myself when I realized it some hours later. Thankfully, I keep a box of ammo and a spare magazine or two locked in my car.

Now the last thing I do before stepping out the door is to check my gun.

- Chris

Carbon_15
January 8, 2003, 05:11 PM
In South Carolina it is illegal to carry into anywere that serves alcohol for consumtion on the premises.

But on the subject of thread-jackers...
If you don't have something to say related to the topic/question, why post? Why do you guys feel the need to condim my compliance with the law of the land? Heck, why did you get a permit in the first place if you are so confident in your covert abilities? If you are going to disreguard the carry laws, just throw your permit in the trash and pack anyway. I for one am getting tired of the permit holders who break the law and get cought...adding more laws and bad press to the fire.

Jason

MitchSchaft
January 20, 2003, 03:09 PM
One of the bad things about Tennessee's permit is that it is a handgun permit--not a "concealed weapon" permit.

Seminole, stay tuned on that one. We have plans to introduce legislation to get that fixed ;). You should join us at a TFA meeting one day.

TheFrontRange
January 22, 2003, 12:31 PM
Now the last thing I do before stepping out the door is to check my gun.

Me, too...or, in my case, to just check FOR my gun! :) A couple of days ago I had a day-off from work. I'd run an errand earlier in the morning and had carried my .45 under a vest. Upon getting home, I'd taken off the vest, the gun, and the spare mags and put them all away, but left my gunleather on. Puttered around the house until lunchtime, then headed back out after slipping on the vest. I'd been away from home for thirty minutes or so before I realized something didn't feel right...yep, left ye olde Kimber and her spare ammo at the homestead! Thankfully while picking up lunch I didn't encounter any outlaw-alien-renegade cyborg-warriors hahahaha!...

When I carried a revolver I pulled the same trick a couple of times, only with my spare speedloaders...at least the gun came with me those times! :p

spacemanspiff
January 22, 2003, 12:58 PM
I don't understand you guys that take your CCW off when you 'go to the game', or 'stop at a pizza joint because they may serve some alcohol', or 'go to a school', or 'go to work' ect. I carry mine EVERYWHERE. Absolutely, because last I heard, Murphy's Law was still in effect.
my only problem is concerning going on school property while armed. i dont know about any other states, but mine has laws on state and federal level that prohibit anyone from carrying openly or concealed on school property, PERIOD.

my only 'oops' was before i had the CHP. my state laws say that 'a firearm is considered concealed if it is loaded, and on your person'. "unconcealed" is defined as 'unloaded and in a case designed to carry a firearm'. so by simple definition, those hard cases that hold a handgun and a magazine suffice. i kept that in my backpack everywhere i went. then i took my nephews/neices to the school playground one day and realized while we were there just where i was. after that i found other playgrounds not on school property to take them to.

and now that i have the CHP, i wont set foot on school property, or a bar, a post office, etc, if i am carrying.

SteyrAUG
January 22, 2003, 01:05 PM
A couple winters ago (when you actually get jacket weather in Florida) I was wearing a HK MP5-PDW in a shoulder rig under my jacket. Several of us were just getting seated in the pizza joint as I non chalantly started to remove my jacket. I got it about halfway down when I remembered.

Funny part is nobody I was with noticed but every single person in the rest of the place did. Quite a few looks. Fortunately I had my super secret agent high and tight haircut back then and most people assumed I was some kind of secret service dude.

The rest of the night you could overhear ongoing speculation about who at our table was the government official with the private security detail in tow.

Smoke
January 22, 2003, 01:21 PM
The only time I have been "made" was in Toys "r" Us at Christmas last year.

A woman asked me to get something off the top shelf for her. (I'm 6'5"...people always ask me to do that) I obliged her and my coat opened enough to reveal my weapon.

The woman thought it was funny. She pointed out the fact that she saw my gun in its IWB holster. Then she asked whether I was "Store Security" or "LEO". I just side stepped the question and went on my way. I was afraid if she new I was just an average citizen with a gun she might panic.

Edward429451
January 22, 2003, 01:39 PM
Should've told her that you're with Homeland Security!:D

Carbon_15
January 22, 2003, 06:06 PM
SteyrAUG,
any pics of that rig? What states allow non-handguns for CCW's? South Carolina specificly allow only handguns under 12 inchs in length.

WonderNine
January 22, 2003, 10:31 PM
Someone behind him obviously spotted it, because he was approached in the parking lot on his way to his car by a couple of members of the local PD. They simply asked if he had a permit, then reminded him that he needed to do a better job of keeping his weapon concealed.

He frightened a sheep!

WonderNine
January 22, 2003, 10:34 PM
But on the subject of thread-jackers...
If you don't have something to say related to the topic/question, why post? Why do you guys feel the need to condim my compliance with the law of the land? Heck, why did you get a permit in the first place if you are so confident in your covert abilities? If you are going to disreguard the carry laws, just throw your permit in the trash and pack anyway. I for one am getting tired of the permit holders who break the law and get cought...adding more laws and bad press to the fire.

I believe your lie down and crawl or you might get hurt mentality is what REALLY ads fuel to the fire. Ever heard of civil disobedience? When somebody starts shooting up the pizza joint you're in and you left your CCW piece in your glovebox because they served somebody a beer, your mentality will change. If you survive that is.

"Carry laws" he says, that's a good one.

XLMiguel
January 23, 2003, 09:53 AM
Just after I got my CWP I was pretty pleased with myself. One evening shortly after, we were going out to a movie with some friends we hadn't seen in a while and in the course of the eveniong's conversation I told them about my permit and that I was packing.

When we got to the theater, we had to wait in line for the next show. There was a pair of hip-hop types (high school age) about 10-15 places ahead of us, and while we waited, a couple of their 'homies' sauntered up and wanted to join them in line (which was getting kind of long). It was cool with one guy, but the other apparently didn't like one of the other guys and told them to find their own place in line. This resulted in a bit of a 'discussion' and horseplay, which my friends very 'suburban' wife took for the start of a fight.

She decided she was scared and whined loadly, "You've got a gun, do something!". Needless to say, that got the attention of everyone around us and startled the kids who were horsing around. I couldn't think of anything to say except, "Chris, they're just kids fooling around, and it's not a shooting offense!"

Seemed to work, though I got a few looks, no one called the cops and the kids did calm down.

Lesson learned: No one needs to know your business.

Seminole
January 23, 2003, 03:38 PM
Mitch Shaft wrote:

Seminole, stay tuned on that one. We have plans to introduce legislation to get that fixed . You should join us at a TFA meeting one day.

Glad to hear there are plans in the works. Even higher on the list of priorities (IMHO) ought to be the ability to CCW in restaurants where alcohol is served. Hhmmmmm . . . . Maybe you're right and I DO need to show up at a TFA meeting. Could you PM me dates and times, please?

Thanks!

Russ
January 23, 2003, 03:58 PM
Good thing you didn't shoot something important off while trying to get your peice in place in a tight space!

Meowhead
January 23, 2003, 05:13 PM
Only happened to me once. Gary, Indiana: I was just leaving a Walgreens when a gust of wind blew open my coat and shirt, exposing a Hi-Power strapped to my hip. A woman walking in, offspring in hand, stopped for a moment..I just smiled and nodded, and walked out to my car. She smiled and nodded, walked into the store.

PUMC_TomG
January 24, 2003, 01:12 AM
Well... for some reason while posting my reply at a Purdue PC lab... THR was blocked... interesting....

Anywho, I haven't really had anything really major.

Eating at hooters with all my buds and we knew the waitress pretty well since she'd come to our house after work to party and stuff. She came around to take our orders... then just to talk. She rests her hand where my right hip should be, and sets it right on top of my Smith Auto. Her Hand jumped back real quick, her eyes went big... and then she was all cool again... Never mentioned it again.

Once while Chris Rhines and I were returning from the range I tried to conceal the same weapon in a Fobus paddle under an untucked TFL long-sleeve t-shirt. I was printing like crazy, and got some VERY weird looks from the staff of the Subway, and some kids in the parking lot.

AND TONIGHT, the craziest yet.

It is SUPER cold outside... and I'm concealing my carry weapon in a Fobus paddle underneath a Mont-Bell fleece. I took off my shell and sat on it in the booth next to all my buddies at the Mexican joint. I stand up to use the head and my shell catches on the weapons outline of my fleece... So my jacket is hanging off of the fleece... saying "HOLY COW THIS GUY HAS SOMETHING UNDER HIS FLEECE!!!" All my buddies start laughing hysterically as my eyes get huge and throw the jacket off....

And the weapon doesn't even print with the fleece on... just a freak occurence.

:banghead:

DadOfThree
January 24, 2003, 04:49 AM
I posted this on TFL but I'll copy over to here. Still makes me chuckle when I think about it.
I stopped by Walmart to pick up a few things this afternoon. As always I was carrying my Walther P99 in a paddle holster on my right hip under a baggy shirt. I had my 4 yr old son with me. As 4 yr old boys generally do, he had plenty of energy and was running back and forth while I was shopping. I got about 15 feet ahead of him and was getting ready to leave and told him to follow me. Of course he comes barrelling up behind me at 100 mph and runs into me. Well, at 4 yrs old his head is just about belt level and he smacks his forehead into the side of my pistol. The first thing I hear in his loudest voice is "Daaaad, I hit my head on your gun!!" I was almost to the checkout counter so there were quite a few people standing around. I mostly got smiles and some laughter from a few guys, a couple of frowns from a few women but nothing bad. I was really red faced though. After we got outside I tried to explain to my son that everyone doesn't need to know that I am carrying a gun. Of course he doesn't really understand. I carry all of the time and he is so used to it he doesn't think of it as any different than wearing my belt or my cowboy boots. I don't want him to start thinking of a gun as something bad that you need to hide or that you need to be ashamed of. I guess I will just have to wait for him to grow up a little to understand. Until then I'll just try to keep him from running into me Although I will say that him running into my gun is better than the headbutt to the crotch I usually get when he is running and not watching.
:D :D :D

MLH
January 24, 2003, 11:16 AM
Here in Kentucky if you can concel it you can carry it. It's a permit to carry conceled deadly weapons so it doesn't matter what you carry as long as it stays conceled. If you can get a tank under your coat go for it.:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Share your CWP OOPS stories" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!