Thinking of joining the USCG Reserves..

PDA

TECH79
August 10, 2006, 10:37 PM
I havenít talked to a recruiter yet but I was thinking of signing up for the USCG Reserves. Iím 27 and I donít know how hard it would to pass basic, I can swim well but havenít worked out in a few years and would probably need to start running and such to get back in shape. Anyways, how do you guys like being in the coast guard , what are the benefits and draw backs you have found?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of joining the USCG Reserves.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
'Card
August 10, 2006, 10:56 PM
US Army Airborne Infantry vet here... (many moons ago) so I'm not speaking from personal experience, but over the last few years I've met a lot of current Coasties, or Coast Guard vets, and they've always impressed me as being very stand-up guys. Small fraternity, very bright, really professional, really good attitude, and extremely well-educated (I guess cruising around on those little boats gives them a lot of time for studying).

If military service is in your future, I think you could do a hell of a lot worse.

statelineblues
August 11, 2006, 04:49 AM
My Dad went to the USCG Academy and spent over thirty years in the USCGR, retiring a Captain (O-6, equal to a full bird colonel). He's still active with the alumni committee and other organizations, and keeps in touch with classmates. It is one of the most diverse groups around, and the multitude of operations it has to undertake make the USCG an extremely good choice. Good Luck!

tanksoldier
August 11, 2006, 04:59 AM
Captain in the USCG or USN would be O-6.

In any case service in any branch, active or reserve is honorable and worthwhile. You'll probably spend some time on active duty anyway, so I would suggest biting the bullet and putting 3-4 years in on active, but either way you'll be doing more for your country than 99.9% of your fellow citizens.

statelineblues
August 11, 2006, 06:23 AM
O-6 is correct - been a long night ...............:o

Phantom Warrior
August 11, 2006, 08:01 AM
Active Army here, but I'm here to throw out a warning. I believe that it is very tough to get into the Coast Guard right now. Because it is "military service", but still at a Continental United States location and without really having to worry about being deployed it is very desirable and a lot of people are interested.

I know for a fact that the Air Force is over strength and the wait to get in was a year when I went to MEPS. And that's IF they take you. I suspect the Coast Guard will be similar, since it is also a desirable branch of service.

Of course, the only way to find out is to talk to your recruiter. I would recommend giving them a call. Or better yet, going in and talking to them in person and saying "Don't call me, I'll call you." My recruiter was good, but some can be pushy.

MisterPX
August 11, 2006, 09:00 AM
I beleive the CG is being VERY picky as to who they enlist, due to the fact that they have more apllicants than slots, and most people beleive it's a pure CONUS duty. I gotta smirk at all the CG guys who run their mouths saying they're deployments are all gonna be stateside, then get deployed to Iraq.

illini52
August 11, 2006, 10:59 AM
I believe that it is very tough to get into the Coast Guard right now. Because it is "military service", but still at a Continental United States location and without really having to worry about being deployed it is very desirable and a lot of people are interested.

Nope, some of the big ships deploy in one fashion or another. I remember some from the Pacific fleet in Hawaii coming back to port after a deployment in the Gulf.

And yes, the Air Force is way overmanned right now.

TECH79
August 12, 2006, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys , im going to go in and talk more with them.

eviioiive
August 12, 2006, 03:02 AM
pm me with any specific questions after you talk with him as im actually in the c.g.....

dm1333
August 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
You can pm me with questions also. I'm an active duty BMC and I'll set you straight on some of the myths floating around, especially from the recruiter;)

mattw
August 12, 2006, 03:36 PM
I believe since the incident with the Coal, the USCG is not strictly CONUS duty

dm1333
August 12, 2006, 04:26 PM
The Coast Guard has never been CONUS only. A quick search of our history and you will see that even if the numbers have been small compared to other services we have been deployed in every major conflict.

TECH79
August 13, 2006, 07:00 PM
Im going in on tuesday to talk with them, im interestedin the BM and GM. I'll let ya guys know how it goes.

OH25shooter
August 13, 2006, 08:12 PM
I gotta smirk at all the CG guys who run their mouths saying they're deployments are all gonna be stateside, then get deployed to Iraq.
Are USCG ships in nearby waters of Iraq? I thought their primary mission is Homeland Security, mostly in US ports and outside coastal waters.

statelineblues
August 18, 2006, 06:40 AM
USCG has many different missions, and Homeland Security is just one of them. CG personnel are deployed for harbor security, port facilities security, search and rescue, etc., and all these have been used overseas as well as here at home. And yes, the CG has been in every major conflict since the Revolutionary War (most of the landing craft at Normandy beach in WW2 were operated by CG's).

71Commander
August 18, 2006, 07:28 AM
Another old trooper here (Benning alumni- 70)

I read where the CG is not part of DoD anymore. It was transfered to Homeland security. They issue Sig .40's now because that's the gun of HS.:confused:

stillamarine
August 18, 2006, 07:42 AM
CG was never part of DOD, before they were with DHS they were part of DOT.

71Commander
August 18, 2006, 07:47 AM
Was unsure. Just goes to show what I don't know.:o

Deanimator
August 18, 2006, 08:40 AM
I used to be on the Cleveland Coast Guard pistol team when I was a government contractor at NASA Lewis. I'm an Army vet, no CG service.

I knew a lot of the Coast Guard guys, and they were uniformly great people. In the wake of the Iraq invasion, their team simply evaporated, with only a few civilians left. I think their team reformed last year.

dm1333
August 18, 2006, 10:24 AM
There are 4 patrol boats over there right now. At one point there was also a buoy tender to set ATON in the harbors. There is also a Port Security Unit there. The high endurance cutters on the west coast also make regular deployments to the area with the Navy.

ZDavidoff
August 18, 2006, 10:35 AM
Active Duty AF here, just wanted to add that about.com has a lot of info about all the branches for anyone interested. Just about everything on there about the AF is correct so I'm guessing the other services are well represented.

This is the link to the CG section: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/coastguard/

A1C Z. Davidoff

statelineblues
August 18, 2006, 10:39 AM
There is also a quick reaction force that has been in place for a few years now - styled after SWAT teams.

Harley Quinn
August 18, 2006, 10:40 AM
You might go into the Marine Corps and go sea duty, I did that. The training is tough.

It instill's that desire for the rest of your life. I am 65 this year still work out, shoot and play with sticks, knive's and other things of destruction, going to a Dan Inosanto Seminar this weekend in Stockton CA.

This is the time to step up and be counted.

HQ:)

trueblue1776
August 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
As a reserve, unless you are a Port Securityman (PS), or volunteer to go, there is little chance of going overseas. You simply would not be expirienced enough to warrant the cost.
There isn't any shortage of active duty that is volunteering to go overseas. If you are a minority who can score above 40 or an anglo can score over 65 on your asbav(sp?) you wont have trouble getting in if you meet all the normal requirements. (the coast guard is trying to shake the image of 6 foot plus white guys)

TECH79
August 24, 2006, 09:51 PM
Well i talked to the recuiter again and im going to go to the meps testing in a few weeks. Basic training pay sucks from what i have seen.Im going to be gone for 2 months for basic and then 4 months for "A' school, suposing i get in. 6 months will be a long time without the normal pay im used to now..lol

10-Ring
August 24, 2006, 10:00 PM
I currently have an instructor who is in CG. He has done 2 tours in Iraq, one in Cuba and seems to love what he does. Bottom line as a key spoke in the homeland security wheel, the Coast Guard plays a vital part in that...the sacrifice you make is real & appreciated.

statelineblues
August 25, 2006, 01:08 AM
Godspeed and Semper Paratus, TECH79!

lawson
August 25, 2006, 01:35 AM
one of my good friends growing up was kinda headed down the Low Road, involved in a little bit of petty crime and the like. he never got in real trouble but was well on his way to it. at some point he made up his mind to get out of town, and joined the Coast Guard and was stationed up in Washington state. after four years of active duty, he was an entirely different person. he came home very well educated and with a complete change in attitude and work ethic. he is now a police officer in one of the highest paying and most desirable parts of town.

so i would agree that it is a good branch of service.

TECH79
August 31, 2006, 09:59 PM
Im taking my medical test in two weeks so i'll let you guys knwo how it goes.

TECH79
September 12, 2006, 12:59 AM
Quick update... I passed the meps testing:eek: Ive narrowed my job choices down to MK or PS. If I go in as a MK, the recuiter told me he can get me in as a MK3 because of my current employment and test scores. What do you Mk's think about the duties you perform? I know the PS guys get deployed a lot but it sounds like a rewarding position as well. Time for choices...

statelineblues
September 12, 2006, 01:41 AM
Congrats, TECH79!!! :D

rwc
September 12, 2006, 02:51 AM
I heard an odd CG deployment story a few years back I was flying from Seattle to Dallas on my way to Peru. The fellow next to me was a retired Coastie and had been deployed to Peru back in the '80s manning radio stations in the mountains (coca erradication/shining path). He said there was a deal with the Peruvian govt. that the US wouldn't deploy A/N/AF but they left off the CG and that's how he got to spend a lot of time eating potatoes near the top of very tall mountains.

dm1333
September 13, 2006, 11:14 AM
I'm a BM but I work closely with MKs. As an MK in a PSU you can deploy overseas, run the boats, etc. and you get things like Honda outboard schools, diesel mechanics, etc. I would try to check with a PSU is there is one in your area and verify that what I am telling you is correct. Because the coxswain (boat driver) is not normally allowed to leave the boat at a lot of units the primary boarding officers are the MKs.

buzz_knox
September 13, 2006, 11:22 AM
Are USCG ships in nearby waters of Iraq? I thought their primary mission is Homeland Security, mostly in US ports and outside coastal waters.

As stated above, no. The USCG routinely operates in international waters and foreign countries. Wherever there is a long-term American naval presence or military action (including WWII and Vietnam), you are likely to find the Coasties.

Until 2001, the USCG was also one of the services that you were most likely to have some type of action in. More than a few drug busts turned into engagements of one sort or another.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of joining the USCG Reserves.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!