Newb with some questions

PDA

LkWinnipesaukee
August 11, 2006, 12:49 AM
Hey guys, I'm 16:what: and new here:uhoh: :)

I live in MA, and I have whats called an FID card. Problem is, I would really like to own a handgun for target shooting (I shoot some airguns). However, I dont know if it is legal for me to do so. :confused: .

So now some questions for MA experts:
-Is it legal for me to own a handgun (my father who has an LTC would purchase it, of course)?
-Is it legal for me to handle a pistol (like cleaning it)

___
Ever since I saw this website (bottom of post), Glock had me sold. Problem is, Post 1998 Glocks are illegal to purchase in MA.
-I found a special on a refurbished pre ban Glock 22 with 2 clips- $400. Good deal?
-Anything else I should know would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

____

The famous Glock Torture Test:
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

If you enjoyed reading about "Newb with some questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
August 11, 2006, 01:09 AM
you cannot buy a pistol on the FID, or any gun from a dealer on the FID under 18 years old

as long as your under your fathers supervision you may use the pistol at the range, clean it ect. just like if you were teaching some one how to shoot.

sorry i cant be more specific, but i dont know of any means for you to become the owner of a pistol under 21, not to mention under 18
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-140-toc.htm is the MA G.L.140 page. just wait a little. some one specific will come in, telling us we know nothing about MA and link you to some "GOAL" site.

but welcome to the forum. what part of MA are you in? im western mass

LkWinnipesaukee
August 11, 2006, 01:26 AM
http://www.goal.org/

I live in the Worcester area. Right near the GOAL office actually.

Forgot to add, I'm absolutely amazed at some of my friends responses when I told them I was involved with firearms. People here think guns=terrible, killers, blood, murder, armed robbery. I've even had people say "just dont shoot me". I hate MA.

Jackal
August 11, 2006, 01:40 AM
Massachusetts, more like Massa-chu-****s.

whm1974
August 11, 2006, 01:49 AM
People here think guns=terrible, killers, blood, murder, armed robbery. I've even had people say "just dont shoot me". I hate MA.

Like people didn't commit murder and armed robbery BEFORE firearms were invented.

Have you consider moving out of MA?

-Bill

LkWinnipesaukee
August 11, 2006, 02:00 AM
^^ Maybe when I get older.

Anyone think that Glock 22 is a good deal?

...or have the answer to any of my other questions... lol:)

ugaarguy
August 11, 2006, 02:06 AM
Lk, welcome to THR. Ok, I'm no legal expert, but here's how I see it. Your father can legally purchase the firearm with his LTC. You're under 18, so you can't own it under federal law anyway. Your Dad can legally own the gun and he and other adults can take you to the range to supervise while you shoot it. Legally dad would own it, but it could be yours in a practical sense. After you turn 21 then dad can give you your gun as a gift. At age 16 I assume you're a rising sophomore or junior in high school, so start looking at colleges in a gun friendly state; I'll recommend you go to www.uga.edu and see what you think. Ok, shameless plug over, back to your question. $400 is a good price from a dealer for a used Glock with two mags anywhere; with the restrictions in MA it sounds even better. The torture test is also very impressive. As for a Glock, if you will, let me relay a very similar experience. At age 17 I too was impressed with all the torture and reliability tests Glocks had been thru. I was working in the fishing dept of our locally owned very large hunting & fishing store. The store got several Glock 22 police trade in pistols in at a very good price, and they even had one 15 round pre-ban mag - this was still during the Brady AWB. So, I got my dad to buy me a Glock - being locally owned the owners sold it to him at my employee price. I kept that Glock for several years and really enjoyed it. However, I realized that while the Glock was a great weapon, it didn't quite fit my hand, and other weapons had better ergos - I no longer own that Glock because I shoot other weapons better. So go to the gunshop with your dad and handle everything in your price range. Make sure the gun fits you. Then get dad to buy it and y'all go have a great time at the range together with "his" new piece. Good to see you here and enjoy your time at THR.

skeeter1
August 11, 2006, 03:15 AM
My dad signed for my first handgun when I was 19 (legal age for a handgun in Ohio is/was 21) in 1972. It was always understood that it was "my gun."

I still have that revolver (I'm now 53), and had been shooting since I was 4.

Enjoy shooting whatever you decide on with your dad. Those were some of the best times I ever had. My dad is no longer alive, but I'll never let that revolver go. Others have come and gone, but my sentimental attachment to that one runs deep.

El Tejon
August 11, 2006, 09:06 AM
Welcome to THR.:)

Maybe leave MA when you go to university? If seeking gun friendly school and state and you are technically inclined, http://www.purdue.edu/.

hso
August 11, 2006, 09:24 AM
Welcome to THR.

Do a lot of reading here on responses to folks who are afraid of guns. You'll find some of the worst possible responces and the very best as well. When someone jokes "Just don't shoot me" you can either come back light and tell them "My shooting coach would skin me alive if I were that careless." or you can come back heavy like, "You wouldn't think to ask me not to rape you just because I'm a guy so why would you say something as insulting as that."

Enjoy shooting your father's gun until you're old enough to own one yourself. Perhaps he'll give it to you as a gift then.;)

LkWinnipesaukee
August 11, 2006, 09:43 AM
He said he's not paying for it. :fire: So it better be mine when I'm 21:D

Thanks for the college suggestions. I havent really thought about college yet (going to be a soph). I've been looking into law enforcement (I love boats, so working for the DEA in Miami would be sweet). Just a thought. I really dont have a clue yet.

Another question.. I was looking at rifles in .223. I want either bolt or semi auto. The Ruger Mini 14 looks real nice. Any other suggestions? It cant be too expensive (I still want the glock;) ). Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.:rolleyes:

Thanks, and sorry if I'm confusing:o

HankB
August 11, 2006, 09:53 AM
People here think guns=terrible, killers, blood, murder, armed robbery. And yet their elected senior senator got away with murder - literally - and their junior senator is an admitted war criminal. Lovely.

Anyway, my first handgun was a .22 Colt Diamondback my Dad bought for me as an early 8th grade graduation present, and about a year later - at age 14 - I had saved up enough money to buy a Colt National Match .45. Technically both guns belonged to my father, but it was understood that they were MY guns, and they were kept in my room. Dad and I used to go to the pistol range weekly, and my using them at a public range with my Dad was never an issue.

I'd had safety drilled into me at an early age, so I never fooled around with them . . .

Discretion was also drilled into me, so I never did a "show and tell" when friends were over at the house . . .

ugaarguy
August 11, 2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the college suggestions. I havent really thought about college yet (going to be a soph). I've been looking into law enforcement (I love boats, so working for the DEA in Miami would be sweet). Just a thought. I really dont have a clue yet.

Another question.. I was looking at rifles in .223. I want either bolt or semi auto. The Ruger Mini 14 looks real nice. Any other suggestions? It cant be too expensive (I still want the glock ). Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Well if you're interested in LE and like being on the water I think you should look at the US Coast Guard. If you do 3 or 4 years (whatever their minimum enlistment is now) and decide you want to go to college you can seperate and use the GI bill, which is a mighty nice deal. You could also get your supervisors and commanding officers to help you out and transition into one of the service academies if you'd like to stay in. A few years in the USCG will also open opportunities with local, state, and federal agencies to get onto their maratime patrol units.

223 Rifles are tons of fun, but I'd wait until your out of Mass. and can take advantage of the standard 20 and 30 rounds mags that are far more easy to get in other states. You could also save up toward an AR-15 for when you move out of state. If you go the USCG route, as a single guy you'll have plenty of money for guns & ammo - just don't blow it on a fast car and high insurance like I see many of my fellow Airmen doing (yes, USAF here, at least for the next 8 or 9 months). Anyway, keep askin questions, and keep us informed.

Yeager
August 11, 2006, 09:00 PM
on the topic of being a LEO, what are the requirements? do you just sign up as you would with a military service or do you go to an acadmey?

ugaarguy
August 11, 2006, 10:00 PM
on the topic of being a LEO, what are the requirements? do you just sign up as you would with a military service or do you go to an acadmey?

You'll need to go thru the (or one of the in some places) police academy in your state. Some places don't have the money to risk you failing and you must pay your own way, others need cops so bad they'll pay you to go thru the academy. Thats for local PD/SD. State and Federal agencies are much more stringent. The demand for police officers nation wide has also lead many technical schools to offer a criminal justice program designed for folks hoping to go into LE. It preps you for the academy and also gives you a leg up once hired. That how I understand it from what my cousin, who is a Sheriff, has told me. Others with first hand experience here can tell you more.

LkWinnipesaukee
August 11, 2006, 10:23 PM
I've been looking at the USCGA as well.

Anyway, I'd like to have something to shoot for the next few years until college. I'd really like to have a handgun and a rifle, to get the best of both world. Oh well, I'll see what happens.

Are firearms even allowed in dorms/college dwellings?? How does a gun owner go to college with his guns?

Thanks for the advice guys

ugaarguy
August 11, 2006, 10:31 PM
Are firearms even allowed in dorms/college dwellings?? How does a gun owner go to college with his guns?

Just like you would in the military, most colleges allow dorm residents to store their personal weapons in the campus police armory and sign them out when you want to use them. Once you decide what your top school choices are call their campus PDs and ask them if its allowed and if so how they handle it.

Yeager
August 11, 2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the information on the LEO stuff Uraguy.

And if your campus refuses to store them of corse you could always co-op and get an apartment off campus. as long as they allow you to keep weapons there shouldnt be a problem as long as you don't physically take it to class. :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Newb with some questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!