S&W 617 arm spring

PDA

deano55
August 11, 2006, 05:04 PM
I have a 10-shot 617 and the arm and spring came off the trigger when I was pulling the trigger out of the frame. This arm has two studs, a big one that the arm rotates around, and a little one. Any help with how the spring goes back in there would be appreciated. The exploded diagrams that I find online don't show the detail about how the spring, arm, and trigger fit.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 617 arm spring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
August 13, 2006, 01:33 PM
That "arm" is called a hand. (OK, same general area of the anatomy!)

If you have the older model, look into the rear of the trigger and you will see the end of the hand spring. This is a "mousetrap" wire spring that is held in the trigger by a little pin, and one end of the spring comes back and powers the hand.

Use a small screwdriver to catch the end of the hand spring and lift it up until it clears the half-moon shaped hole, then insert the hand with the small pin in that hole. Release the spring and it should come down and bear on the small pin in the hand.

Next time, remove the trigger with the hand in place and be careful not to pull the hand back too far.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 617 arm spring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!