Norinco SKS M?

PDA

Roadtrips
August 11, 2006, 05:50 PM
Havent owned an SKS and was wondering what was considered fair price for an SKS.ARe Norincos good? Thanx for any help.Oh one more thing,would the recoilo be to bad for my wife?

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco SKS M?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Technosavant
August 11, 2006, 05:53 PM
The Norincos are good, but not the cheapest. That honor is held by the Yugoslavian 59/66, which runs from about $100 up to about $180, depending on condition (they usually also include a fair amount of free cosmoline grease). A Norinco will run a bit higher, depending on condition.

Recoil from the SKS is negligible. Your wife would need to be extraordinarily sensitive in order to be bothered by it.

1 old 0311
August 11, 2006, 06:15 PM
The SKS M model runs about $400.00. Just get a AK.

Jackal
August 11, 2006, 07:07 PM
+1 on Kevin, if u want a cheapo banana clipper, get an AK.

EvisceratorSrB
August 11, 2006, 08:52 PM
My Yugo 59/66 cost 229.00 (yeah I'm an idiot) but I just think it's the region that I happen to live in. LA county sucks... Perhaps if I looked really hard, where I live, under 200. An SKS 45 is 200 where I'm at, and the 59/66 looked just as good condition. You might be able to find the SKS 45 more feasable as well.

BoySetsTheFire
August 11, 2006, 10:16 PM
I have a Norinco and would not trade it for any other gun. It is a reliable, field tested rifle. Mine has never malfunctiuoned, nor have any of my friend's. But Norincos are hard to find. Yugos are everywhere.

Arcticfox
August 11, 2006, 10:18 PM
I have a Norinco SKS. It works just fine. Accuracy seemed pretty good. A yugo is the cheapest way to go. I have read that they are good quality guns, and I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

Forget about the 'M' unless you find a screaming deal. Just get an AK if you want a detachable mag.

grimjaw
August 11, 2006, 11:28 PM
I have a Norinco SKS-M. I have to agree with most of the posters. I'd rather have an AK. The SKS-M isn't a bad rifle, it's just not I really wanted when I got it. If you're talking SKS-D with the 20" barrel, then the choice for me gets a little tougher.

jmm

possum
August 12, 2006, 12:52 AM
i owned an ak first, but loved shooting the 7.62x39 and bought a sks for the simple fact that it is different, but also it is easier shooting from a rest, with the internal 10rd mag. you don't have those big magazines to worry about, and a little handier. I love both of them and they both have there places. i still want to get the short barrel sks the paratrooper that would be a sweet trunk gun!

Hkmp5sd
August 12, 2006, 01:54 AM
Essentially, the Norinco's were made in China during the 80s and imported new while the other SKSs on the market are all manufactured in the 40s/50s and were part of some country's arsenal.

chrisbob
August 12, 2006, 02:30 AM
I bought a 1991 sks norinco around 1999. I paid $200 for it. It is the best sks I have out of three. I consistently shoot 2" @ 100 yrds w/cheap milsurp; although, the more expensive remington ammo is better. I have removed the fixed mag. and don't have any probs. w/ the 30 rounders. I have heard that since the end of the awb ban and the brady bill expired high cap. mags. are acceptable. I also like the AK 74 although smaller cal. they are comparable in price after you buy the extra gadgets. My yugo sks is alright but not in the same league as the others. When buying milsurp. you take a chance so choose wisely and pick what has the best reports.:neener:

dfaugh
August 12, 2006, 07:46 AM
The SKS M model runs about $400.00. Just get a AK.

I have an SKS-M, my buddy a Chinese AK. I like the SKS-M much better. With good ammo the SKS is considerably more accurate than his or any other AK I've seen. (Certainly not a target gun, but decent.) I paid $325 for mine a few years back, with an aftermarket "Dragunov" style stock, and scope/mount. I not seen another for sale locally since then, or I would buy it, if the price was at all reasonable. I haven't looked online for one, as I prefer to handle a gun before I buy it. I also like the fact that its relatively rare (with the budget I have for guns, I'll probably never own anything truly rare and exceptional). I've put probably 5000 rounds through it, and its been 100% reliable,with a variety of different AK mags.

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco SKS M?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!