How do you read a book?

PDA

Drjones
May 6, 2003, 10:26 PM
This is a serious question, and frankly, it says a lot about our school systems that I have to ask it.

How do you read a book?

Do you take notes ever? It seems to me sort of a waste to just read a book, perhaps glean some useful information or ideas from it, and then put it away.

What do you do?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you read a book?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45R
May 6, 2003, 10:42 PM
Dr. Jones
While in graduate school, we had to read lots of books. In order to retain at that information I would high light the material that I needed to know and write down notes on the side. This material would be re-read later the same day for retention. I used this method all through school. I hope this helps!

45R

Zundfolge
May 6, 2003, 10:51 PM
It depends on the kind of book.

Some books are for entertainment. Those I tend to just read cover to cover.

Some are for learning. I tend to read them cover to cover once, then re-read them (or just parts of them) a couple of times with either a notepad or a highlighter.

John G
May 6, 2003, 10:56 PM
I read all the time, and I don't take notes. Unless its for a class, or some other organized research, I take an informal approach to reading. I'll read a few chapters in a sitting, and when I pick it up later, I usually go back over the last page or two, to remind me where I was.

When reading for information, I like to read more than one source on the topic. Especially with history, it's interesting to see different views of the same event.

Note-taking can be helpful, but if I did it all the time, I'd read less.

Mal H
May 6, 2003, 10:59 PM
Closed as OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you read a book?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!