Centennial "twins"

PDA

Bob79
August 11, 2006, 08:51 PM
Thought I'd post some pics of two "finds" I've had this past year. The 442 was purchased from a local shop in February of this year for under $300 OTD, and the 642 was this past month from Auction Arms. The 642 was about $360 after shipping, and transfer costs. Best part is they both have NO INTERNAL LOCK, and they both are original models with no dash after the model number. I put Hogue Bantams on them both as I really like the grip it provides, light weight, and compactness.

I know they are only rated for standard pressure ammo, and I've got no problem with that as I plan to put no +P through them. Its interesting because up until about a month ago I didn't even know this model of 642 existed with that type of finish. The 442 has already been sent to CCG for the action job, and front sight insert, and I plan on sending out the 642 for the same upgrade soon.

Thanks for looking.

If you enjoyed reading about "Centennial "twins"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
August 11, 2006, 09:43 PM
Of course, if you REALLY want original in a Centennial...

http://www.fototime.com/34F17A751067B1C/standard.jpg

Here's one a little prettier despite being a little older...

http://www.fototime.com/121EB62CF27FCB6/standard.jpg

I agree with you on the fineness of the Centennial. My favorite carry revolver.

WJR
August 11, 2006, 11:35 PM
All very nice. I recently purchased a 640 and really like it.

WJR

Bob79
August 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know why S&W stopped finishing the 642's like mine, and switch to the current set-up?

Unless you look close the whole gun appears to be all stainless. Maybe they thought it was too bright, and since its designed as mainly a CCW they wanted a more dull finish?

Thanks.

BluesBear
August 15, 2006, 01:43 AM
Saxon, How does the grip safety feel when firing.

I carried one years ago but I had to remove the safety as it was pounding the ever loving snot of my hand.
Pachmayr grips then made it a joy to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Centennial "twins"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!