MATCH BARREL

PDA

johncross
August 12, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hi,I've been looking for a "conversion barrel" to shoot 9 mm from my G 27,and I've come across the term "Match barrel" ,to be honest I don't know if it means that it will match my gun or is intended for competition,etc...could you guys tell me what it means exactly ? Thanx !

If you enjoyed reading about "MATCH BARREL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sheldon
August 12, 2006, 11:10 AM
Its meaning usually has to do with higher tolerances presumeably for better accuracy......but a LOT of manufacturers use the term, some looser than others. If it's a name brand like Kart or Barsto I would not doubt the "match" accuracy claim.

johncross
August 12, 2006, 11:57 AM
I see Sheldon,let me ask you this then: Assuming I get a "competition" barrel ,would it still be good for defensive purposes? (I will change extractor and ejector also)
Thank you

Sheldon
August 12, 2006, 12:05 PM
I don't why it wouldn't be fine in a defensive weapon, other than it having a fit problem to your specific firearm which might affect reliability. Some match barrels are made oversized and need to fitted to the firearm by a gunsmith or someone who knows how to do it. Other match barrels are a drop-in fit, which may or may not actually be a true drop in depending on where in the range of accepted tolerances your particular firearm falls and may need some fitting. As usual with changing anything out on a firearm which is used for personal protection, you want to shoot it enough to be confident the reliability is still there. Another aspect of aftermarket barrels for the Glock and other polygonal rifled barrels is a lot of the aftermarket barrels will allow you to shoot lead through them without the leading issues that the polygonal rifled ones are said to have.

mete
August 12, 2006, 01:46 PM
A match barrel may have a smaller chamber .Make sure the gun is reliable with the ammo you carry .

Jim Watson
August 12, 2006, 02:11 PM
The term is likely pure advertising hype.
I know of no accuracy intensive match that I would take a G27 to.

I would be very careful in picking and installing a conversion barrel - and changing extractor and ejector you say - for use in a defensive weapon. Not recommended by the barrelmakers, but maybe they are just guarding against liability.

But why? .40 kicks too much? You get in so many gunfights the cost of ammo matters?

Peter M. Eick
August 13, 2006, 05:50 PM
Simple question to ask the company.

"Do you offer a non-match barrel?"

If they don't then it is advertising fluff. If they do then ask the difference and be impressed.

I am always impressed at the number of companies that call things "match" this and "match" that, yet they don't have non-match line of stuff. They might as well call it "super-dooper" but I guess that would not have the same sales impact.

If you enjoyed reading about "MATCH BARREL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!